Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2020, 05:15   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

No complaints from me, I see it not as a matter of DSG vs TC but how well they tune the gearbox. I loved the TC on the BMW F30, it is possibly the best automatic I have enjoyed driving, even more than the DSG GTI I had the pleasure of driving for about a year. If I recall correctly it was the same ZF transmission that did duty on the C300 and other cars, but BMW did a better job of tuning it than others, so it never felt laggy.

Moreover, as a piece of tech I would be more emotionally comfortable with an aging car that has a traditional TC in it than a DSG.

But I do hope they give it a sport mode or something, and tune it well.

Also I really, really hope they never go the CVT way like Honda did. That, I really dislike.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 15th February 2020 at 05:17.
Old 15th February 2020, 05:29   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

This move by VW to 'ditch' their traditional technology asset is a little problematic. I just hope that the current users of 1.2 TSI aren't made to face any issues with spares/service.
Old 15th February 2020, 08:44   #93
BHPian

Polo GT TSi is the best automatic in it's price segment and it will remain so even after moving to the 1.0 TSi + TC. Why I think so, because the new engine will more or less be similar in power delivery and the gearbox can be a little worse in highway conditions but it can be a bit better in b2b traffic conditions, which is where 80-90% usage is for most of us. Long term reliability concerns will go away with this gearbox, improving the desirability of it.
Now, where I see the actual gain is, is in the TSi + manual guise. This car would be a hoot to drive with a manual GB, VW's manuals are the best to shift. Also, it will be cheaper being a simple manual.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 22:54   #94
BHPian

I think judgement on the 1.0 TSI engine + TC combo should be reserved for after driving it. VW-Skoda have a very clear 3 engine(1.0, 1.5, 2.0 TSI) and 3 transmission(MT, TC, DSG) strategy which they have communicated a year before these products will hit the market, which is in itself commendable.

VW manuals are definitely a pleasure to drive especially with the light clutch of the petrol and short throw of the gear. Agree the 1.0 TSI and MT combo will lower the entry price point. Case in point being the 1.4 TSI Jetta we bought compared to the pricing of the 2.0 TDI-DSG. I only hope they keep the safety features same across variants as they always have.

A little off topic but the interview by Knapp to Autocar shows VW has clearly thought this through and are willing to place bets on India, something the Fords, Hondas and Toyotas of the world have failed to do.
Vegitocat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:37   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen launches BS6 Polo, Vento 1.0 TSI. Drops the DSG unit and introduces the 6AT (TC) and more affordable GT units in AT and MT configurations.

Even though the base BS6 Polo variant is priced the same as its BS4 counterpart, overall prices for the Polo 1.0 MPI have increased by about ₹ 4,000.

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-12-2.jpg

VW has as dropped the 1.5-litre TDI diesel, the 1.6-litre MPI petrol unit, the 1.2-litre TSI turbo-petrol engine as well as the 7-speed DSG automatic.

Quote:
Volkswagen has introduced a 110hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine with 6-speed manual and automatic options for both Polo and Vento; diesel engines dropped from the line-up.

- The Polo Trendline, Comfortline and Highline Plus variants are available with an upgraded 1.0-litre, three-cylinder, naturally aspirated MPI engine and comes mated to a new 6-speed manual gearbox.

-Polo Highline Plus and GT Line variants are available with the new 1.0 TSI engine. Producing 110hp and 175Nm of peak torque, the turbo-petrol engine can be had with either the new 6-speed manual or the new 6-speed torque convertor automatic transmission.

- The range-topping Polo GT with the 1.0 TSI engine and 6-speed auto ‘box undercuts the previously available top-spec Polo GT with the 1.2 TSI and 7-speed dual-clutch unit by a margin of ₹ 17,000.
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-11.png

Vento:

Quote:
- In Vento, both the 1.6 MPI and 1.2 TSI have both effectively been replaced by the 1.0 TSI engine

-The 6-speed manual gearbox is standard, but the 6-speed automatic is only available on the top-spec Highline and Highline Plus variants.

-BS6-compliant Vento prices start ₹ 10,000 higher than the BS4 variant

-The top-spec BS6-compliant automatic Vento variants cost about ₹12,000 more than their BS4 counterparts.

Expect Skoda to announce its Rapid lineup in similar lines.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2020 at 20:06.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Great to have the 1.0 TSI with the manual gearbox. This was a key reason why I did not go for the 1.2 TSI. Can't wait to take a TD of the manual TSI.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:55   #97
BHPian

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque conve...

Polo GT automatic ex-showroom at 9.59L seems to be the same I paid for the GT TSi DSG version. So no price drop for a torque converter?
Old 4th March 2020, 21:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque conve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen has introduced a 110hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine with 6-speed manual and automatic options for both Polo and Vento; diesel engines dropped from the line-up.
Thank you volkman10 for sharing this update

I think GT TSI was the best premium AT hatch < 25 lakhs in India only because of that magical DSG gearbox. Not sure how much "Less" fun the Torque Converter will be in comparison, but surely may reduce the reliability concerns by a huge margin.

What it does do however is offer MT gearbox for true enthusiasts, and probably with a decent FE considering 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
So no price drop for a torque converter?
VW India has seldom passed on the price benefits to customers. They never did when they downsized the GT TDI from 1.6 to 1.5, so I don't think they would have even considered it an option with this downgrade from 1.2 to 1.0!!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th March 2020 at 09:58. Reason: Typo.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:26   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen launches BS6 Polo, Vento 1.0 TSI.

Attachment 1976514

Link
Is there a Manual Variant in GT Line? If, so what are the changes w.r.t Highline+ variant? And pricing, as only a range is given in the news article.

Volkswagen have not updated their website yet
Old 5th March 2020, 11:58   #100
BHPian

Any clue on the spec difference on the tsi and mpi as well as the performance figure? I am game for the tsi manual combination of the engine is as hoot as the 1.2 tsi.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

It's great to see a manual transmission with the turbo engine. Fingers crossed on the fun-to-drive factor of the torque converter. I think the manual TSI Polo is the 'enthusiast' version now, while the automatic is for those who just wanted an automatic Polo. I know quite a few 1.2TSI owners who bought the car just for the automatic gearbox, not to drive it aggressively.

But what surprises me is the 6-speed manual gearbox on the 1.0MPI. It's a decent engine lower down, no doubt, but in the current configuration, it barely has enough torque to pull in the 5th gear. Perhaps the 6th gear is to increase fuel economy (the current Polo's 5th gear is quite short: at 100kmph, it's at ~2,500 rpm if i remember correctly).

I only hope that the 1.0TSI is more refined than the 1.0MPI. Clattery petrol engines are acceptable at best in the B-segment, but will just not cut it in the C2 segment.

I have a personal feeling, though, that the Rapid will not get the automatic transmission anymore, to differentiate it from the Vento. Zac Hollis announced that the details of the Rapid automatic will not be revealed at launch. I may be wrong, because the Rapid on display at the 2020 Auto Expo had a 6-speed AT.

Does anyone have any idea whether this torque converter is the same AISIN unit that was present in the current Rapid MPI or a new one(presumably ZF)?

Last edited by ron178 : 5th March 2020 at 12:35. Reason: Expressed doubt about drivetrain in Rapid
Old 5th March 2020, 12:21   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Any clue on the spec difference on the tsi and mpi as well as the performance figure? I am game for the tsi manual combination of the engine is as hoot as the 1.2 tsi.
1.0 ltr MPI 76PS of peak power and 95Nm peak torque.
1.0 ltr TSI 110PS of peak power and 175Nm peak torque.

1.0 ltr MPI Trendline, comfortline and highline plus
1.0 ltr TSI 110PS highline plus and GT line.

On a lighter note, your handle is now extinct
hemanth.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
On a lighter note, your handle is now extinct

It isn't for me... Still have the 1.2tsi7dsg
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 13:15   #104
BHPian

Is there any news about added features in the GT line? I cannot find any info on the official website.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:37   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any indication when the display and demo cars will arrive at dealerships? Keen to TD the Vento with the new TSI manual. Could be ideal as a chauffeur-driven car with reasonably good back seat ride comfort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks