Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 12:26   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Do note that Skoda had plonked this same 1.0 TSI into the Octavia a long time back, and reviews aren't too bad either!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/...si-2016-review

Are we looking at this change only from an enthusiast's PoV and being too hard on VAG?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:33   #47
BHPian

re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Does anyone know which Torque converter gearbox are they going to use with the 1.0 in GT TSI?

I looked up and couldn't find much information about the 6 speed TC box they plan to use.

Is it going to be AISIN TF-60SN [Volkswagen transmission code 09G, 09M, 09K]?

Torque converters have come a long way from being torque eating slush boxes. With lock up clutch there is very minimal torque losses during most of the operation.

Last edited by bipinbn : 10th February 2020 at 12:40.
Old 10th February 2020, 13:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how to react to this...Should I be happy that I'm enjoying the DSG+TSI Polo GT? or should my apprehension about a DSG failure increase as it will be discontinued?
Not sure if resale value will increase or decrease because of this. An enthusiast may be willing to pay more but many may prefer to stay away from this GB.

Reliability aside, the sad thing in this news is that you've to be very rich to have fun...otherwise you only get boring cars!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 13:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
An enthusiast may be willing to pay more but many may prefer to stay away from this GB.
There was an argument that most of the people aren't even aware of what gearboxes are being used, and all they want is an automatic.

If you agree with the above statement, then "many may prefer to stay away from this GB" is not true. So resale value may not suffer.

On the other hand, if you disagree with the above statement (i.e you do believe that people are aware that an unreliable DSG is being used) then they will also be (most likely) aware of the fact that there is no better gearbox than the DSG for this segment. And a significant chunk out of this segment may not mind shelling out a premium for a DSG.

So either way, I think resale value (for what it's worth) will not suffer just because of the shift to a TC
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:10   #50
BHPian

This is so amusing. Indian car buyers are really impossible to please. When there was no MT for 1.2 TSI, all were like " this is the best hot hatch in country. Only if there was a MT, it would have been great ". Most of the car reviewers and bloggers had the same opinion. Now that Volkswagen group has plonked the car with manual tranny, everyone has changed. Now they all are going to miss DSG.

DSG or manual, I can assure you "this is going to be the best hot hatch under 10 lacs". Period. Wait for the test drives!

I wish Octavia 1.8 had manual too. DSG stories in Octavia thread was the only reason why Octavia is not standing in my garage today.
Roadster17 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:15   #51
BANNED

Though I am a petrolhead who understands dual-clutch transmissions to a fair detail, apart from doing short point and shoot stints on an open piece if road, I don't see DSGs being practical for most day to day scenarios we encounter. In stop and go traffic (both on level roads and inclines), any form of automatic with a clutch (not the internal ones) aren't the smoothest. They not only wear out but also keep the mechatronics unit busy - leading to heating issues etc. In both cases, a TC type of setup is more suited. Overall, a good sensible move by VW and Skoda.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:40   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
DSG or manual, I can assure you "this is going to be the best hot hatch under 10 lacs". Period. Wait for the test drives!
That is if they price it under ₹10L! 3 years ago in 2016 I had paid ₹11L OTR Bengaluru...now it is almost ₹12L OTR. Even with the new TC GB, I don't think they'll price it for less than ₹10L, especially when the MPI Polos are retailing at ₹7L to ₹9.5L OTR

I was just browsing through their website and found 7speed DSG mentioned in the MPI Polo page
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-annotation-20200210-143607.jpg

And to add to that...the vehicle used in the website both for MPI Polo and the Polo GT are same (MH02 EP8117)...it is a GT TSI!
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-annotation-20200210-144447.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 10th February 2020 at 14:48.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:45   #53
BHPian

From my experience, I would like to thank VW India to have brought this gearbox for the masses in India. I thoroughly enjoy driving the car everyday. As told here already, the DSG's issues were well handled by VW, albeit out of warranty period. Now the 7 years warranty makes the life easier.

Thank you DSG! You have had your run and will be missed in the mass market.
Old 10th February 2020, 15:28   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Oh well. You loose something great (dsg) versus a big gain on reliability (TC). I guess the latter is what most would prefer.
Torque converters can be slush boxes that ruin the low-gear acceleration of a car. I've owned a couple of those. But I've driven a number of AT cars in which this did not happen.

I have never experienced a DSG. I gather that the advantage is the lightening-quick change. I remember, when they were fairly new, Clarkson admitting that he could not beat the acceleration of the DSG with manual gear change. But hey, probably every AT I have driven can actually change gear quicker than I can press and release the clutch pedal.

As long as it isn't a slush-box TC, I'm sure it will be very fine.
Old 10th February 2020, 21:30   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to read this news. I would have preferred to see VW sort out the reliability issues of the DSG box and come out with a DSG7 (ver xxx) than dump it altogether. It's looks like after all these years, they've finally thrown in the towel and are saying they will never be able to make the DSG box as reliable as TC boxes.

The idea of having an advanced piece of equipment in a little mainstream hatch was quite exciting and I've really enjoyed my time with it. But reliability is an issue and I've been through the cycle of jerks, software updates etc.. Luckily the mechatronics ghost is yet to visit us! So will it be bye bye DQ200 for now? No other car will sport this box now?
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 21:45   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Sad to read this news. I would have preferred to see VW sort out the reliability issues of the DSG box and come out with a DSG7 (ver xxx) than dump it altogether. It's looks like after all these years, they've finally thrown in the towel and are saying they will never be able to make the DSG box as reliable as TC boxes.

So will it be bye bye DQ200 for now? No other car will sport this box now?
This is not really the case. They are just doing away with the DQ200 in entry level for lower costs.

The Taigun and Vision IN have 2 engine options a 1.0L and 1.5L. The 1.5L will be lower tune 130PS but with 7 speed DSG.

The T-roc has DQ200 and 1.5L TSI. The Karoq has 1.5L TSI and DQ200.

The next gen Octavia with 1.5L TSI will have DQ200.

They have moved the DQ200 to mid segment, lower segment added TC and upper segment have the DQ381 now.

Earlier the Polo, Vento, Rapid, Octavia, Superb all had DQ200. This will not be the case now.

Last edited by ajmat : 10th February 2020 at 22:08. Reason: Capital O for Octavia!
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 00:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

A good move making financial sense especially if they can price the car lower than the existing TSI version. I doubt the reliability of DCTs in general after seeing cases of failure in Kia and Ford too. I don't think DSG failures are a brand specific problem.

For the enthusiasts: I don't think there's too much to lose if this car is reliable. It'll still be better than the Jazz and Baleno ATs. Only the (discontinued?) Figo 1.5 AT might be better.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th February 2020 at 00:18.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Smart move and logical. Enthusiasts will say otherwise but it does broaden the appeal and there are very few who even know that the DSG is better than TC.
Will this engine be available across the trims, or restricted to the GT only?
Old 11th February 2020, 09:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
Will this engine be available across the trims, or restricted to the GT only?
This will be the only engine for Rapid, Polo and Vento from now on.

However I think for the lower variants of Polo, they might get the lower engine tune of around 75 bhp to distinguish it from the GT line.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This will be the only engine for Rapid, Polo and Vento from now on.

However I think for the lower variants of Polo, they might get the lower engine tune of around 75 bhp to distinguish it from the GT line.
That's really sad for the lower trims! The regular car begs for a better engine and the 1.5 diesel did a whole lot of justice. Compared to the GT TDI, the regular TDI at least did not look shabby!

So the lower variants of the Polo will remain slower than vehicles almost two segments below, like the Alto K10 and the S-Presso.

I spoke to a person from VW, who looks after Sales in East, and as per him, the TSI might come to the regular Polo, but then again, he was not sure!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks