Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 15:36   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Should anyone buy a Polo now knowing the new version might come in 2022?
Would you wait two years to buy a car? In two years any model of any make might be substantially updated. Of course, a new model, when it happens, is going to create sales, but people who want/need to buy now will buy now.

Buyers who are always after something new might be changing their car every couple of years anyway.

The marketing debacle is absurd. And one more point from me: I took a look at the brochure that was linked to a recent post, and found it really hard to view on a PC monitor. The page size and shape is all wrong and the text is unreadably small. I haven't tried, but I'd guess that a phone screen would be even worse. I even doubt that it would be any good on paper. Don't these people use computers? Of course they do: they use them to design the very material that that doesn't look good on a computer.

So add decent designers and graphic artists to the above list of people that VW needs to employ!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:15   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would you wait two years to buy a car? In two years any model of any make might be substantially updated. Of course, a new model, when it happens, is going to create sales, but people who want/need to buy now will buy now.
One need not wait but can simply pick up a car from another manufacturer right away. Other cars in the market are a lot newer. I like what VW did to Polo but being 10 year old will have severe impact on resale. That said, 1.0TSI + Torque converter is USP and hard to ignore. If rest of the stuff doesnot matter and performance is the only criteria, one can pickup the Polo eyes shut.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 18:59   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I like what VW did to Polo but being 10 year old will have severe impact on resale.
I doubt VW will bring the new Polo anytime soon. Resale values also don't change that drastically for good cars, even if a newer model is introduced - see for instance the previous gen City.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I doubt VW will bring the new Polo anytime soon. Resale values also don't change that drastically for good cars, even if a newer model is introduced - see for instance the previous gen City.
We had Vento and sold it off 4 years ago and we had difficulty in finding buyers and fetch a decent price. The car was well maintained and had 55k on odo. With lesser preference to VW compared to Japanese and with options available from 2010 , it will be difficult to push a Polo for a good price 4-5 years down the line. Skoda launching Rider at 7.49 is just adding salt to the wound.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 03:13   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
One need not wait but can simply pick up a car from another manufacturer right away. Other cars in the market are a lot newer. I like what VW did to Polo but being 10 year old will have severe impact on resale. That said, 1.0TSI + Torque converter is USP and hard to ignore. If rest of the stuff doesnot matter and performance is the only criteria, one can pickup the Polo eyes shut.
Hmmm... resale values might be factor, but I think that the classic (the rude word is old* ) Polo interiors will always appeal. But then... I'm a fanboy!

*And this is a literal truth. The Golf I was driving in London in 1990 was probably not that different to our Polos of today. Even down to the switch blanks!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd June 2020 at 03:16.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:10   #231
Senior - BHPian

First Drive review by Evo India
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:21   #232
BHPian

Wish:
If only we had flexibility in our Motor vehicle regulations to swap an Engine. People who bought the Polo when new many years ago could just buy this 1.0TSI Engine alone and plug-in to their aging present day car. That would make it feel an almost new car at a very little expense.

It would be the case with the Rapid, Vento and the Fabia too. However, that cannot be done right, only in my dreams

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 3rd June 2020 at 13:22.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:29   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a lightning quick test drive of the Polo TSI. My comments:

Yummy engine, rorty like a go-kart when on full acceleration. Excellent TSI 'pull' in most ranges, good low-end, 6MT gearbox medium good not great.

Interiors can be better though. Still far too many hard plastics even on this top end all black Highline TSI version. Door panels look cheap, armrests need padding.

Discerning buyers may need to spend a bit on some classy art leather or leather trimmings. Interestingly, the cheaper versions offer the traditional black and beige combo which may look far more modern.

The Flash Red colour looked yummy as usual but the additional new cladding is debatable. They are not of great quality as such, and may weather in age.

This was a 760 km run car so absolutely brand new. Engine/GB should open up more and become a lot better later. All in all, a worthy buy even in the Nios Turbo age. BLR pricelist attached.
Attached Thumbnails
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-img_20200603_132952.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd June 2020 at 14:32.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
This was a 760 km run car so absolutely brand new. Engine/GB should open up more and become a lot better later. All in all, a worthy buy even in the Nios Turbo age. BLR pricelist attached.
So the elusive highline plus AT continues to make it to price list. VW is not able to ship this to dealers yet looks like. Are the dealers even taking booking for this variant?
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:11   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Discerning buyers may need to spend a bit on some classy art leather or leather trimmings. Interestingly, the cheaper versions offer the traditional black and beige combo which may look far more modern.
Does that mean the Highline TSI MT comes in beige and black interiors? And that all black interiors are available only on the GT version?

I think the Lapiz Blue looks even better than the red on the Polo. Only sore point are the ugly decals on the sides of the car.
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:36   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Surprised to see the TSI edition not listed! It is even better value compared to highline plus (7.89 lakhs versus 8.02 lakhs for the highline plus). You get exactly the same car for 13K less and plus get some stickers for free! Maybe VW can drop the TSI edition price even lower and spare us the ugly stickers

Overall the Polo TSI edition and Rapid Rider are both excellent value products, despite being 10 years old platform and design. Rapid looks a bit more jaded while the Polo still looks fresh thanks to the new grille.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd June 2020 at 15:38.
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:47   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Does that mean the Highline TSI MT comes in beige and black interiors? And that all black interiors are available only on the GT version?

I think the Lapiz Blue looks even better than the red on the Polo. Only sore point are the ugly decals on the sides of the car.
I have driven the Highline Plus.
The interiors are black. The upholstery is changed from the older GT but they are all black. Agree on the Blue. I have the same
The ugly graphics are not pasted from the factory. I'll explain it better. Read below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Surprised to see the TSI edition not listed! It is even better value compared to highline plus (7.89 lakhs versus 8.02 lakhs for the highline plus). You get exactly the same car for 13K less and plus get some stickers for free! Maybe VW can drop the TSI edition price even lower and spare us the ugly stickers
Actually all dealers are giving 13k off on the highline plus and offering a "GT KIT" for free. You can opt not to get the stickers and it is basically the same thing.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:04   #238
BHPian

Sharing some Polo TSi MT photos I clicked today at the showroom, unfortunately TD vehicle hasn't come yet. I did crank the engine & gave it some revvs. Idle is smooth enough (as the cold engine was idling at 1000 RPM). When I revved it a bit, the engine sound reminded me of the k10 engine. It has a similar throaty growl, though a bit more refined. Even the compressor cut off sound when you give revvs was similar to k10 engine, it was very prominent. I personally like this kind of throaty growl, though the average joe might not like it.

P.S- A friend of mine is looking to buy one & since he isn't a car guy, I had to check out the car on his behalf.

Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-img20200603wa0038.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-img20200603wa0037.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-img20200603wa0036.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140407.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140335.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140326.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140312.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140248.jpg  

VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT-20200603_140159.jpg  

Last edited by chiranjitp : 3rd June 2020 at 22:11.
chiranjitp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:26   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Sharing some Polo TSi MT photos I clicked today at the showroom
Which color is that Polo you clicked outside? Looks dark and much nicer than the one standing in showroom. Is that a new shade?

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:35   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Which color is that Polo you clicked outside? Looks dark and much nicer than the one standing in showroom. Is that a new shade?

Regards,
Shashi
That's the Sunset Red. A new shade like the Lapiz Blue. Looks real nice in person.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks