Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 09:17   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Which color is that Polo you clicked outside? Looks dark and much nicer than the one standing in showroom. Is that a new shade?

Regards,
Shashi
Sunset red - somewhere in between the red and copper colours. This one has been around for a few months now and the earlier pre facelift model also was offered in this colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
When I revved it a bit, the engine sound reminded me of the k10 engine. It has a similar throaty growl, though a bit more refined. Even the compressor cut off sound when you give revvs was similar to k10 engine, it was very prominent.
That is the part I am a bit wary of. having been spoilt with some excellent 4 pot motors in the last decade (G13B Swift, K12 Swift, 1.2 iVTEC Brio, 1.5 iVTEC City - some of the very best that the Indian market has to offer), I am not a fan of the K10 - type of three cylinder motor and its resultant NVH levels.

We had this motor on our A Star and Celerio, so have driven these a fair bit as well. The refinement levels are several notches down from the 4 cylinders and the vibrations and imbalance points in the motor are very evident. I certainly hope the new TSI is better when it comes to NVH levels.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 17:15   #242
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Why there is no particular news about the BS6 Vento? Only reviews of Polo and Rapid are available in the forum and everywhere else including YouTube. Have anyone spotted the BS6 Vento at the showrooms?

Dear Mods, Will there be a detailed review of any of the three (Polo, Vento, or Rapid) since it has a new engine even though there is nothing new to write about the rest of the car?
Old 4th June 2020, 17:43   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Why there is no particular news about the BS6 Vento? Only reviews of Polo and Rapid are available in the forum and everywhere else including YouTube. Have anyone spotted the BS6 Vento at the showrooms?
In BLR at least, the New Vento is expected only in end-June whether show, demo or customer cars. .

Seriously incompetent planning by VW. Reminds me of Hindustan Motors.
Old 4th June 2020, 17:53   #244
BHPian

Just got an update from VW SE. He says Automatic variants of Polo will be available only from August onwards.

Currently plant is manufacturing only Manual variants of Polo.

And there is no information on whether GT variant will have ESP and TC or not.
Old 4th June 2020, 20:07   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Remember Vento and Skoda Rapid are manufactured on the same line. Capacity is probably being prioritised for Rapid - the Rider variant launched at 7.5 lakhs is stirring up the scene and I expect there will be unprecedented demand for this variant, given the large value-focused Indian customer segment - they will have high propensity to buy a larger, heavier and faster car like the Raipd, for less money than the likes of the Desire, Nios etc.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 02:48   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Sharing some Polo TSi MT photos I clicked today at the showroom, unfortunately TD vehicle hasn't come yet.
The SA informed my friend that we could take a TD of the Polo TSi MT, so here's a brief report of the short TD I took today. My uncle has a 2011 Polo 1.6 MPi & I have driven that car exclusively over the years.

The Drive

As I have said in my previous post, the engine from outside sounds a bit like the k10 engine (while revving). Though from the inside with windows rolled up & AC switched on, the engine noise isn't intrusive at all. Even the typical 3 cylinder engine vibration at idle is well controlled. The car moves off the line easily, low end grunt is decent enough. The Polo TSi starts to move briskly from around 1500-1600 RPM, then after 2000 RPM progress is really quick. The pull is very strong, reminded me of the Figo diesel. I have driven both the Venue 1.0 Turbo & Baleno RS, the Polo TSi feels quicker than both of them. Baleno RS sadly feels slowest among this group. The Polo 1.6 MPi is a decent performer, but the Polo 1.0 TSi feels way faster. Though low end torque is a bit better in the 1.6 MPi.

Issue with most 3 cylinder engines is that when revvs fall too low, there's generally some vibration & knocking. Thankfully even when the revvs fall below the 1000-1100RPM mark, there's not much vibration. I shifted to 4th at 30kmph, there was no knocking or any unwanted vibration. Of course progress was a bit slow at such low revvs. I think city drivability of the Polo 1.0 TSi should be satisfactory.

I revved the engine to around 4000 RPM, till then the engine noise wasn't at all intrusive on the inside (with windows rolled up). Do note I took the TD on a busy road, so the observation might change when driving on an empty road. Though I am certain, the engine noise won't be an issue for most of us. The clutch was very light & GB was typical VW smooth. Things like ride, handling & steering feel were similar to the old Polo 1.6 MPi.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 6th June 2020 at 03:07.
chiranjitp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:28   #247
BHPian

Small doubt, if I remember correctly, doesn't TC gearboxes result in more power loss because of inefficiency compared to TSI?

Or is the 110bhp figure of new Polo after calculating every loss etc.?
Old 6th June 2020, 20:45   #248
BHPian

Was the 1.0 tsi AT (Tc) launched elsewhere earlier?
How different would the torque converter experience be compared to DSG with this 1.0 engine?

Am planning an automatic premium hatch this festive season. The upcoming i20 1.0 At or Polo 1.0 At are my options.
Old 7th June 2020, 03:36   #249
BHPian

Makes a few interesting points. It's basically the same car that launched in 2010. Earlier, there was only entry level hatchback and premium hatchback when the Polo was launched. Now you find mid segment too. And Polo's interior space makes it mid segment hatchback. With a premium pricing. Do watch the video.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 08:04   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

The video seems so one-sided. To compare a car to a phone in terms of how fast technology changes (he is comparing the Polo to the iphone) is ridiculous. Which car has released 12 generations in 10 years?

Also he talks about segmentation of hatchbacks purely based on space and claims the polo is not premium but mid segment. If that were the only criteria, the T-Roc would have to be counted in the same segment as the Ecosport!

I would not be surprised if this video is commissioned by a competitor for pre-loading into the ipads used for customer briefings at their dealers.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 09:24   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Makes a few interesting points. It's basically the same car that launched in 2010. Earlier, there was only entry level hatchback and premium hatchback when the Polo was launched. Now you find mid segment too. And Polo's interior space makes it mid segment hatchback. With a premium pricing. Do watch the video.
In this entire video, he doesn't talk about the 1.0L TSI engine option at all, just the 1.0L MPI.

His points are valid for the 1.0L MPI as there are better options but when it comes to the 1.0L TSI, none of the competitors are close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The video seems so one-sided. To compare a car to a phone in terms of how fast technology changes (he is comparing the Polo to the iphone) is ridiculous. Which car has released 12 generations in 10 years?
You know what, comparing it to a mobile phone is actually fine but not with iPhone 1.

The Polo 1.0L TSI in mobile phone parlance is actually the iphone SE 2020.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:23   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post

Not a big fan of this 5 reasons to buy or 5 reasons to avoid reviews. Makes it a one sided. Reviews should be balanced.

This particular video made me quite angry in the way the narrative has been created mixing points from the older polo and the current one. He talks on and on about the 1.0 MPI engine and it's issues. No mention of the fact that the latest iteration is 1.0TSI which is a huge plus for the car. Then he goes on to say that VW has dropped the DSG , which is a feature of the current gen and cribs about VW removing the DSG without dwelling on the point that the dropping of the DSG makes it a more attractive car for the mass market folks worried about the reliability of the DSG.

Irresponsible auto journalism.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 13:25   #253
BHPian

I love the Polo - for it's Timeless Looks, Build, Safety, New TSI Engine and would opt for it over any other PETROL car in its segment. But it's just personal preference.

If compared objectively, for a driver's car, Figo offers better Ride and Handling, has a vastly more communicative steering, and a punchier 1.5TDCi engine, 6Airbags et al at an even lower price with much, much cheaper running & maintenance costs. Add in a remap and it will leave a Polo TSI (even remapped TSI for that matter) in the dust. And with its Diesel torque, mid-range punch/ in-gear accelerations are a no contest (weirdly the times of 1.0 TSI doesn't match that of BalenoRS with 100hp/150NM - weight advantage not withstanding).

TSI engine may be good, but at 9.3+ Lakhs On-Road, it's seriously Expensive for a 10year old model with Dated interiors. In my opinion, Volkswagen should have ditched 1.0 MPI and replaced it with 1.0 TSI across the variants, so that it makes sense for a lot of enthusiasts on a budget. When Skoda can do it for 7.49L with Rapid, why not VW? After all, that MPI will not find its place in any of the upcoming Skoda-VW models.
sechebe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 08:42   #254
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Vento models started reaching dealerships

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 23:04   #255
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen India Resumes Operations At Dealerships, also rolled out special offers for healthcare professionals on the Polo & Vento.

Healthcare professionals gets 3 month EMI holiday plan and low interest rates from 8% on the Polo & Vento. The benefits though will be available only till June 30, 2020.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/volk...offers-2243415

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks