Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2004, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Overrated: Santro/ Esteem/ New Honda City
Underrated: Palio/ Astra/ 118 NE (still feels good to drive!)/ Optra

It's amazing that every car introduced in India from the M 800 onwards was initially positioned as a "luxury" vehicle.

mvk
Old 8th September 2004, 18:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

OverRated : NHC, Zen, Esteem,Qualis.

UnderRated: Baleno, Palio, Forrester, Mondeo.
Old 8th September 2004, 19:29   #18
F50
Senior - BHPian

Overrated has to be Zen .... I mean still how long they gonna ... New look zen is rubbish ... same goes with Esteem ... There is world beyond Maruti ...
Underrated Baleno n Palio ....
Palio was underrated coz of that tag " Petrol Peeta Hai" ... I mean if sum1 thinks as a common man donno ABC bout cars will say no only coz petrol cost is also very much considered now a days ...
To some extent i feel Astra also ...
Even Forester,

Donno wer to put Vitara, Endeavour ?
Old 8th September 2004, 22:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

OverRated - Zen,Esteem,Santro,NHC,Indica,Corolla,Scorpio and Lancer.

UnderRated - Palio,Baleno,Camry,Astra,Mondeo.

Old 8th September 2004, 22:31   #20
BHPian

overrated -scorpio,nhc,accent petrol,zen,esteem
underrated-forestor,palio1.6,safari petrol,
Old 9th September 2004, 13:08   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Overrated : NHC, Zen, Sonata.
Underrated : Mondeo, Baleno, Palio 1.6, Old Accord.
Old 9th September 2004, 13:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

Whoa V12...

I'm really interested to know your resons for saying the NHC is overrated?

Please elaborate!

Rt
Old 9th September 2004, 14:19   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know why the NHC is rated more higher than the OHC. The City was all about performance with a decent mileage. Whenever you talk abt performance its the City. But the NHC changed it all. It shudnt have been the City. Its got no performance at all to match the OHC. Just good mileage and very different looks (debatable whether good or bad). Also if mileage is the concern, someone cud go for the Accent Crdi which looks very much like a car. The NHC is just a Fit with a boot "fit"ted. Same like other booted cars like Indigo/Siena.

No doubt the NHC is a good car and a good VFM but it still doesnt live upto the "City" name.
Old 9th September 2004, 15:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

I dunno V12. I don't agree with your assessment of the NHC. Sure the OHC had a great engine, but realistically speaking, thats all it had. It was priced too high for what it offered. The interiors were basic at best. Interior Space was not a selling point either and the ride was never too good.

The NHC is just a better, more complete package than the OHC. The performance it offers is more than adequate for its target customer, the interiors are the best in its class and even better than cars in a higher class. Sure its looks are open to debate, but so were the Santro's when it first came out. Now its considered normal, and the huge waiting list for the NHC confirms that.

As far as VFM, the NHC is far better than the outgoing version. Honda could easily have kept the price the same, but they reduced it and at the same time gave a better package. IMO, it is definitely not overrated and lives up to its "City" name better than the first model did.

For the performance minded Honda fans, we have to wait for the Civic which would be priced as much as the OHC Vtec.

Rt
Old 9th September 2004, 15:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Sure the OHC had a great engine, but realistically speaking, thats all it had. It was priced too high for what it offered. The interiors were basic at best. Interior Space was not a selling point either and the ride was never too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Its got no performance at all to match the OHC. Just good mileage and very different looks (debatable whether good or bad). Also if mileage is the concern, someone cud go for the Accent Crdi which looks very much like a car. The NHC is just a Fit with a boot "fit"ted. Same like other booted cars like Indigo/Siena.

so i dunno where that leaves me.....y not launch a limited edition city with the NHC interiors and the OHC vtec engine ?

cheers
Old 9th September 2004, 15:32   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rtech - Totally!!

The OHC was only about the engine and driving experience (among other Honda trademarks). And while we all moaned about its demise, Honda did the right thing. Who would pay 9.5 lacs for a Vtec today with newer, bigger and more comfortable cars like the Optra, Octavia, Elantra and Corolla prices hovering around the 10 lac mark?

The NHC is a marketing dream. Its projected and priced just right, has fabulous interiors, great ride quality, refined (very much) and has all traditional Japanese advantages.

Simply put, OHC appeals to the heart. NHC appeals to the head.

GTO
Old 9th September 2004, 19:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Sep. 09 2004,14:02)]Simply put, OHC appeals to the heart. NHC appeals to the head.
But not the eyes.

Very true indeed.The NHC is leagues ahead of the OHC.

Also,do you guys feel if the NHC had been launced with a different name like Honda ____ for example,it would have been a little advantageous??
Old 9th September 2004, 20:03   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also,do you guys feel if the NHC had been launced with a different name like Honda ____ for example,it would have been a little advantageous??
I think Honda could have called it whatever in hell they liked and it would still sell like matches at a cigarette convention!

Rt
Old 9th September 2004, 22:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

most underrated car for me has to be the peugeot 309 deisel that came..
brilliant car.. didnt work because of its ugly exterior..
but other than that.. fantastic !
among the best suspensions..brilliant engine.. u name it
Old 9th September 2004, 22:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Out of 27 posts, 2 people think Optra is an over rated car.
I'm just curious to know their thought on why they think so.
It has nothing to do with the fact that I have one but I think those who haven't driven an Optra (especially 1.8), should drive one before coming to any conclusion. According to me it's essentially what you're looking as performance. Is it the engine performance in terms of brute power or whatever we can possibly imagine within the offerings? Is it the typical indian question of "ketna peeta hai?". Is it the comfort inside the car as sitting, trims, gadgets etc? NHC is doing so well because it's a right balance of Indian requirments. It has taken some time to establish it's radically different design. GM has a good choice or option to play around within its range. Point in case is the new limited edition Optra with all fancy fitments.
The fact is no car can satisfy everybody. Examples are plenty. I love the fantastic 1.5 VTEC engine and that's about it. Inside fit, finish and materials are pathetic in comparision. Corolla has a fantastic engine caged inside a funny round shaped body. Well, that's my view but Corolla is doing pretty well. M800 is not for the regular car owners any more. Its already targeting a two- wheeler owner. This list can go on and on...
So on what basis we judge a car over rated or under rated?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks