Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 13:04   #766
BHPian

Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Palio Multijet was a serious under achiever. Blame it on late entry,Fiat's after support and Palio's image, this car was absolutely 'ignored' !
At rock bottom prices of around 4.5 lakh otr,
it had a great suspension,spacious interior/boot,national engine and strong build.
What more you want from an entry level diesel hatch ?

Had it been a Maruti (@ same price) it would have been a different story altogether.
Old 16th May 2012, 13:12   #767
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I agree with your point about pricing.
We prefer low pricing and large space.
Bigger is better in our psyche - never mind that there is nowhere to drive and nowhere to park!
Big size seems to be synonymous with money and power and I guess thats what most chaps want to show that they have.

The Yeti and the XC60 are brilliant packages and will be appreciated by a slightly well read/ evolved consumer - unfortunately the majority of car buyers here prefer "quantity" to "quality", which is why, things like the XUV500 succeed where others do not.

While the Yeti is priced similarly in India as it is in the UK and Australia too, and is still perceived as expensive, the poor XC60 is significantly more expensive in India as compared to the other 2 countries mentioned. This fact alone murders that vehicle, before one even presses the start button!

The fact remains though that both these cars are truly excellent and unfortunately, badly under-rated here as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Shankar - I assume this was asked to me? Anyways my response -

Yeti - As a product (quality inside/out, 4WD, 140 HP) is hard to beat. The problem that we have is, the pricing.
Now the XC60 (2.4L , 205 HP, 42.8 Kgm) - OTR ~ 45-50L

Contenders -
Basically on the XC60 part, with that kinda moolah you have a world of options to explore, moreso, if you can look beyond SUV's with the same cash, that A4 3.0 TDi is hell of a machine.

The point I was trying to drive home is don't buy an SUV for the SPACE, buy it if you can use the AWD and I assume people looking at the XC or the Evoque are no mudpluggers.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 16th May 2012, 13:25   #768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The fact remains though that both these cars are truly excellent and unfortunately, badly under-rated here as of now.
Could not agree with you more on the quantity to quality aspect.

What Skoda could have done on the Yeti is, increase the localization on the mechanical and electrical parts over a period of time.

Pardon me, but you would have travelled across the globe, on the pricing in the UK et all, the fact remains, in the Western World, the gap between what you EARN and what a commodity costs is a very BRIDGEABLE gap, whereas in the Indian economy, the gap is way too wide and seems to be ever increasing, the chief reason why we are way too emotional about our beloved possessions.

On the murdering part without pressing the start button, all that I have to say is:

I am dead sure, 70% of the Indians still buy their vehicles without a TD, and land up buying a vehicle purely on the word of the mouth.

Cheers Mate.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 13:54   #769
BHPian

Ditto about XC60. It's most underrated in it's segment. It looks gorgeous, has decent engines, awesome grip (haldex AWD), loaded with technology and is the safest car money could buy. As Ajmat mentioned Volvo is the most reliable amongst BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I TD XC60 D5 AWD, Audi Q5 2.0 and BMW X3 2.0 and went for XC60. It's that good in it's category. Being a CBU obviously has it's pros and cons. Outstanding build quality inside out but slightly costly due to humongous Custom duties.
Old 16th May 2012, 15:08   #770
BANNED

Even in the current avatar of the Yeti, it is comparatively priced to the international markets is what Im saying. However, in the case of the XC90 this doesnt apply - meaning the India price is not really comparable to the International price.
Yes certainly a chap living and earning abroad - say a middle management type, can happily buy something like a Nissan X Trail or so. It is only here in India with our wicked duties and taxes that a common regular utility vehicle becomes a luxury statement! This is also why we are kind of pre-conditioned and trained to perceive massive value in humongous sized, feature loaded, yet cheap trinket boxes such as the XUV500 and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Could not agree with you more on the quantity to quality aspect.

On the murdering part without pressing the start button, all that I have to say is:

I am dead sure, 70% of the Indians still buy their vehicles without a TD, and land up buying a vehicle purely on the word of the mouth.

Cheers Mate.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:13   #771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even in the current avatar of the Yeti, it is comparatively priced to the international markets is what Im saying. However, in the case of the XC90 this doesnt apply - meaning the India price is not really comparable to the International price.
Unlike the Yeti or S60, I doubt if the XC60 can really be considered as an under-rated car.
It is indeed a good car, but really does not have huge price advantage if compared to the likes of BMW X3. With the pricing on par with the German biggies, our buyers will definitely prefer the brand prestige.

Whereas, the S60 D3 is actually an excellent package for the price. A fully loaded D3 summum probably will cost less than the A4 2.0 TDI or the C.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 12:51   #772
BANNED

Thats exactly the point. The pricing is part of what makes it so under-rated.

Its price alone is pitting it against the wrong competition - at least in India.

Imagine if there was a choice between say an XC60 at 26-27 lacs and a Fortuner/ Santa Fe/ Nissan X Trail/ Honda CRV at roughly the same price.

Im sure such positioning will change the poor thing's fortunes! I would consider one definitely because it is so very well built and has such high levels of fit, finish and overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Unlike the Yeti or S60, I doubt if the XC60 can really be considered as an under-rated car.
It is indeed a good car, but really does not have huge price advantage if compared to the likes of BMW X3. With the pricing on par with the German biggies, our buyers will definitely prefer the brand prestige.

Whereas, the S60 D3 is actually an excellent package for the price. A fully loaded D3 summum probably will cost less than the A4 2.0 TDI or the C.
Old 18th May 2012, 13:12   #773

Most over rated ? The Scorpio - dangerous on corners and ugly everywhere and I got rid of it within a year. Also the Toyota Corolla Altis - for heavens sake, why did Toyota fiddle around with the super space in the back seats of the classic Corolla and replace it with the backbreaking knees shaking Altis? I am six feet tall and hate the damn thing.

Most under rated? Maruti Sx 4 but I could be biased because I just bought one !
muscateer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 17:18   #774
BHPian

Bumping this thread for a fresh discussion with 2017 perspective.

There are many good cars available for Indian consumers these days. However, quite a few of them don't sell well for like, but not limited to Brand perception, After sales service, ownership experiences or shape(Sedan/SUV). On the other hand, there are cars that are not as good as its rivals but still sell well for similar reasons.

For me these list have below members.

Over-Rated
1.Scorpio
A really heavy car, with interiors that are dating, and in my opinion quite unsafe to drive. Its safety was proven when it crumbled in the crash tests too.
2.Compact Sedans
There is nothing that the compact sedans offer that aren't offered by premium hatchback for similar and sometimes even lesser price. But they continue to sell in significant numbers just for the shape. Prime examples being Amaze and Dzire. I know Dzire was just launched, but we all know it will outsell the Baleno in matter of time. Many people who have asked me for suggestions couldn't believe when I told them Dzire, Amaze, i20, Baleno, Ecosport, Brezza are of the same length. There are exceptions, one of which is listed below.
3.Honda City
I own this car, the 2009 model, and love it. When we bought it, it was 8.4 lakhs on road for S MT. But City is now just too over priced, by at least a lakh. However, its the City name that keeps ringing the cash registers. Lack of competition has helped, as many find Ciaz, City's one rival's engine to be underwhelming for car its size. Hopefully City's price does not encourage Hyundai to price Verna at horizon levels.
4.Hyundai Creta
Speaking of Hyundai and pricing, here is the next car in my over-rated list. A compact 5 seater car, topping at 17 lakhs is madness. But it still sells in unbelievable numbers, purely due to its shape, even if it lacks quite a few features. Verna having the same engines is relegated to numbers 1/5th of the Creta.

Under-Rated

1.Ford Aspire
Yes, I mentioned the compact sedans as over rated, but this is an exception. Firstly, it doesn't have a premium hatch in the same showroom. Secondly, it is one of the brilliantly priced cars in the country, next to Baleno. And thirdly, that wonderful diesel engine.
2.Honda Jazz
Yes, Honda has made some mistakes with this car. Over-pricing the first generation, cutting features in the current generation. And lack of 1.5 as an option is unfathomable. But it remains one of the most spacious hatches, and has huge practicality. Probably, the reason current Jazz owners swear by it.
3.S-Cross
This is another car done in by the shape, and initial over-pricing. A brilliant package, at just slightly over Brezza, with much better quality, both in terms of interiors and build. What it lacks is the boxy SUV look of Brezza (PS: Brezza was also in my over-rated list, but didn't make it narrowly).
All of the above are plainly my opinion and means no offence to owners past, present or future. if one is happy with their car, it doesn't matter if the car is considered over-rated or under-rated.

Please post what cars are on your lists and why.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2017 at 00:01. Reason: corrected typo. Thanks for the awesome post! Cheers! :)
autorahul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 17:37   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post

Over-Rated

2.Compact Sedans
There is nothing that the compact sedans offer that aren't offered by premium hatchback for similar and sometimes even lesser price. But they continue to sell in significant numbers just for the shape. Prime examples being Amaze and Dzire. I know Dzire was just launched, but we all know it will outsell the Baleno in matter of time. Many people who have asked me for suggestions couldn't believe when I told them Dzire, Amaze, i20, Baleno, Ecosport, Brezza are of the same length. There are exceptions, one of which is listed below.
[
Did you consider the practicality aspect of compact Sedans?

For example - Amaze, Xcent, Tigor offer much more boot space compared to their hatchback/premium hatchback siblings. These CS cars offer a good alternative to family guys who prefer space over style - hence prefer them over their hatchback/premium hatchback siblings.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:34   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

For example - Amaze, Xcent, Tigor offer much more boot space compared to their hatchback/premium hatchback siblings. These CS cars offer a good alternative to family guys who prefer space over style - hence prefer them over their hatchback/premium hatchback siblings.
If you see the highest selling compact sedan of the segment, until 2 months ago, it had less legroom and boot than any of the premium hatchbacks, and it was outselling the highest selling premium hatchback 2:1 every single month, despite a similarly priced Baleno being more loaded and coming with safety features as standard. Even right now, compared to Jazz and Baleno, these cars offer just 50 liters more boot space.

Additionally, if boot space was this important factor over looks, Etios would have sold in much larger numbers, as it gives boot space that non of these can even hope to match.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:44   #777
BHPian

Quote:
[i]3.Honda City
Lack of competition has helped, as many find Ciaz, City's one rival's engine to be underwhelming for car its size. Hopefully City's price does not encourage Hyundai to price Verna at horizon levels.
Well, our monthly sales chart show otherwise. Ciaz has already overthrown the City as King of C2 segment sedans. Ciaz has been leading the City consistently for the past 15 months or so. Feb 17 was the only month where the City was in lead, perhaps due to Ciaz's migration to Nexa.

Although, City has a larger Engine with higher BHP count (most of which lies unutilized, though), but considering the overall package and value for money aspects, the Ciaz appears to be a better proposition. For instance, offically the City needs to visit the service centre once in every six months (or three months if running is high) where as the Ciaz can keep running for a year, between visits. No wonder the Ciaz takes away the cake.

Quote:
Under-Rated

1.Ford Aspire
Yes, I mentioned the compact sedans as over rated, but this is an exception. Firstly, it doesn't have a premium hatch in the same showroom. Secondly, it is one of the brilliantly priced cars in the country, next to Baleno. And thirdly, that wonderful diesel engine.

People usually associate Ford cars with strong build, great handling, sweet steering and powerful AC. Since, none of these aspects, except for the AC, have made their way into the Aspire; that special connection has got subdued. Aspire is somewhat like Chinese version of American car (do you remember SAIL Sedan and Chevrolet connection ) and hence this response.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 3rd July 2017 at 10:55.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:47   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
While the official boot space is indeed larger for compact sedans, I find that hatchbacks are generally more practical e.g. folding rear seats, more vertical space to carry tall items etc. Dfferent strokes for different folks though...
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 17:12   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over-Rated
Scorpio
I would replace that with XUV5OO.

XUV5OO: I come with a sensor for everything and be sure I'll warn you when there's a need....
Me: Great!
XUV5OO: ....and sometimes even when there isn't a need! <wink>

XUV5OO: I boast of features that would put premium SUVs to shame that cost you twice as much...
Me: Great!
XUV5OO: ....though I can't guarantee they work every time! <wink>

I know a lot of folks don't agree but XUV5OO is what Safari was in its early years. With no competition you could give us any crude vehicle and we'd buy it. Till the time its big on size we would make a queue for anything right now.

It works in a lot of departments but I'd rather prefer putting 18-20 lakhs on a 2012-13 Fortuner than buy a brand new XUV5OO.
Quote:
Over-Rated
Honda City
We have a 2012-13 Honda City with my father and its an amazing car for regular family use, the quality of the prev-gen City is simply unmatched.
Old 16th April 2020, 07:21   #780
Senior - BHPian

I am amused to see this thread opened 16 years back calling the original Zen the most overrated car.

I always liked Zens, but as I travel more in life, I more and more understand that any person/place/thing brings joy in its own way, it is the same with driving experience as any other type of experience. Specifically in driving, it boils down to driving feel that is a unique combination of sensory experiences. Another way of saying this is that I see more and more to every experience than certain straightforward parameters like objective speed or acceleration. And the deeper it goes, the more subjective it gets. Such depth, to me, reveals certain aspects about older cars, particularly early 90s cars, in the way they drove. Relatively light but feelsome and accurate steering and light body being two aspects of it.

In the Indian affordable market, cars like the Zen and the Esteem were among the first to offer such connected driving experience, and I am not convinced that their successors have necessarily exceeded the joy they offer by a huge margin, and most of them fall behind. Yes, we had the Palios, Puntos, Figos, Ikons and Lancers that were better in certain aspects, but still these 90s Marutis aren't far behind on the fun factor scale.

I wonder which of today's cars we ignore, that we may even refer to as overrated, we will look back on and lust after?
It happened with the first Figo too. Most of the enthusiast community dismissed it as second or third in fun factor compared to the Swift and the Polo then, are they still convinced so?

The notion of what is overrated and what is underrated doesn't just vary person to person, but also within the same person over time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks