Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 12:21   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
Also, similar logic can also be applied to “Panasonic sunroof”?
I think Sony is better.

The missing control isn't really a bother for me. Usually I have 1 passenger or am alone which means I will be in the front seat with them. On occasion of having extra passengers in the rear, I can give them a reminder before exiting the car to roll up their respective windows.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:45   #302
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We don't call for engine updates of cars we have already reviewed, unless it's really important.

So here goes:
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200625-22.14.57.jpg
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:50   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We don't call for engine updates of cars we have already reviewed, unless it's really important.

So here goes:
Attachment 2021271
Wow !!! What a surprise!

I never thought that Team-BHP will review this car and atleast so quickly. Looking forward to the review and I know that many of us will be waiting for the review.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2020 at 11:46. Reason: Grammar.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:16   #304
BHPian

Quote:

So here goes:
Attachment 2021271
Oh man! From this angle, the car looks ready to set the roads on fire.
Like always, is this the top variant GTO?
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:18   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Oh man! From this angle, the car looks ready to set the roads on fire.
Like always, is this the top variant GTO?
The Monte Carlo variant which is pretty much the top-end variant.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:19   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Like always, is this the top variant?
Yes! The Monte Carlo Red, comes with the black roof. Best angle to look at. But also, costs a whopping 13-14L OTR.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:52   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=A_FYoRLZUr8

Looking how top bosses at Autocar India went in for the review themselves. What's happening GTO!
Now we know, what's been happening GTO!
And the same car too.

Last edited by Diesel_Drives : 26th June 2020 at 13:53. Reason: Added text
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 17:26   #308
Senior - BHPian

CarandBike review of Skoda Rapid 1.0-Litre TSI

https://www.carandbike.com/reviews/s...review-2252623
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 17:46   #309
BANNED

Quote:

So here goes:
Attachment 2021271

Credit to Skoda for getting the review car over so quickly.

Meanwhile Tata still thinking of when, and *IF *, they should send the facelifted Nexon, the 170 BHP BS6 Automatic harrier and the Altroz diesel.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:24   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So here goes:
Attachment 2021271
Feeling Nostalgic about this shot ! My erstwhile remapped Rapid 1.6 TDI.

Simply there is no other car in its price range that can match a Rapid in Grace and Elan
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-c360_20131117065116292.jpg  

Mi10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 20:22   #311
BHPian

These low capacity turbos should really be tested with full load. With driver only, they usually fly....but put the big Indian family in, and the eagerness disappears.
JishD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 21:00   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
These low capacity turbos should really be tested with full load. With driver only, they usually fly....but put the big Indian family in, and the eagerness disappears.
I don't know about the VAG 1.0 TSI but I can assure you that the Hyundai Venue 1.0 just flies even under full load.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 23:23   #313
BHPian

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Credit to Skoda for getting the review car over so quickly.

Meanwhile Tata still thinking of when, and *IF *, they should send the facelifted Nexon, the 170 BHP BS6 Automatic harrier and the Altroz diesel.

They probably won't just like Nissan is still not able to provide the new Kicks. Have been folowing up with Tata for almost two months, they just have one word, we ain't having a media fleet yet.

Hats off to Skoda.
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 03:39   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Coincidentally, all the TDs of the 1.0 TSI trio (Rapid, Polo, and the Vento), happened with five people on board (not too wise during the pandemic, i know). Not even for a single time did i feel that the cars needed more grunt.

The obvious perks associated with small displacement engines are of course present. When the revs fall really low, like close to 1000 RPM, you need to downshift to first, unless you want to lug the engine or slip your clutch, like while tackling a speed breaker. This can also be attributed to the tall gearing of the six speed MT. Other 1.0 NA vehicles available in the Indian market might not need a similar downshift since they are primary geared for easy city use.

Anything above that kind of low RPM, you get a move on easily. The best part is, you can be in 4th gear and do speeds as low as 30 kmph without lugging the engine one bit! One more thing, even though the engine revs till almost 6700 RPM, is is absolutely pointless to spin it any faster than 5000 RPM.

The thing that i really like is the linear nature of the engine. In comparison, the kick in the Venue's 1.0 GDI is a lot more pronounced, and it is not appreciable while driving in traffic.

The reason I find the engine and gearbox combo so easy to live with is because I have been driving the G13BB all my life, and it has very little torque at low revs, and the gearing is very tall.

A little update after the Vento test drive:

The Rapid has the best ride and handing, followed by the Polo, which felt a little bumpy (not sure if this was due to incorrect tyre pressure), and then the Vento, which felt a little too soft.

The Polo was the most refined, not sure why though! The Rapid and the Vento felt almost similar in this regard.

The headlight unit on the Vento Highline Plus is one of the nicest to look at!

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img20200620wa0012_1.jpg  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img20200620wa0016_1.jpg  

shankha007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:42   #315
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Short review for anyone looking at buying it.

- Refinement at idle is impressive for a 3-cylinder, but it's no 4-cylinder. Has some cabin shake on start-up too. No cabin shake on shutdown.

- Driveability is liveable. No issues. Below 1500 rpm, you'll have to be patient (but still will pull in 2nd gear over a speed-breaker with little extra accelerator input + little clutch delay). 1,500+ rpm, you are okay. 2,000+ rpm, you will be .

- ^ Don't push it too low in 2nd gear though. I let the revs drop real low in 2nd and stalled it on Saturday. I stalled it once again on Sunday. You cannot be careless if trying to pull away from low revs in 2nd. Give it a little more gas & delay the clutch release a wee bit more.

- Strong mid-range punch. You'll enjoy it.

- Good top end too. This is a fast car!

- Lovely, slick, short-throw MT. No AT will affect sales.

- At high revs, vibrations are a constant on the pedals and especially prominent on the clutch pedal.

- 3-cylinder thrum is there. Enthusiasts will love the sound when the revs are climbing. Very sporty.

- Take your foot off the accelerator at the redline and there is lots of audible feedback when the revs are dropping. Motor groans (around 5,000 rpm) and moans. Some of these sounds are awful, some are sweet.

- High amount of sounds & (pedal) vibrations at redline. Purist enthusiasts will enjoy it, but your family & average Joe most definitely won't.

- Clutch has medium weight (not super light like Hyundais). That isn't much of a bother, but what will bother you is the long travel range and its high resting point. In traffic, you will curse this tall resting point as it leaves your left foot at an awkward angle.

- I don't expect the city FE to be particularly high. Big power, small turbo petrols have never delivered on urban FE (just ask EcoSport EcoBoost owners).

- Coupled with the mature suspension, this is a car that begs you to drive it hard. Had a LOT OF FUN this morning. Have parked the car, but am still smiling. Planning to take it out for a 2nd run tomorrow.

- Terrible + cheap + buggy Alibaba-sourced Chinese head-unit. Was difficult to connect via Bluetooth, songs would play with gaps in them and the max volume is too low.

- Best-in-class suspension (mature) & solid build quality (love the door shutting sound). I appreciate its high safety rating too (assuming it's the same as the Polo).

- The Rapid 1.0 TSI is old, interior is outdated, but mechanically, it is among the best. Would be in a quandary if I wanted to buy a C2 sedan because of newer competition, and also that Skodas aren't hassle-free to own in the long-term. Would need to do some serious thinking.

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200627-10.08.53.jpg

-------------------------------------

Added info from my 28th June highway drive:

Took her out for an early morning run today. My god, this is an engine that BEGS you to drive it hard (Viddy's words, not mine). If there is an empty road ahead of you, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to redline it.

I have an analogy for the Rapid TSI. It is very much like Aamir Khan. Aamir is among the oldest actors getting lead roles today - in a sea of younger newcomers - but arguably the most talented. Me, Aditya & Vid6639 have been discussing this. If we had to buy a Petrol MT sedan, this would be it (for diesel or petrol AT, I'd get the Verna AT or better yet, the Seltos AT). Unless the 2020 Honda City is game-changing in any way! The Rapid is to its segment what the Octavia 1.8 is to the D1 category. Safe, mature suspension setup, solid build, old but timeless, the usual Skoda ownership nonsense you have to live with & patchy long-term reliability. I'd get the 6-year warranty, better tyres and a deep-sounding freeflow exhaust from my favourite guys (Automech). All set. In the current times when all the action is around crossovers & SUVs, this brings some much needed spice to the sedan segment. What was the last interesting C2 sedan here? The Linea T-Jet & Vento TSI...years back.

If you are able to keep it under 6,500 rpm on an empty road like this, please ping me & I'll send you a lifetime achievement award
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200628-08.54.56.jpg

Love how the grille has a glossy black border with a matt black inside. Am thinking of copying this idea for my car:
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200628-07.54.36.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2020 at 08:58.
GTO is offline   (151) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks