Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 16:19   #376
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's the pricing + turbo-petrol engine that has reignited interest in the Rapid. If either one of these two were not promising factors, this thread would be dead.

Just compare the recent action on this thread vs the Polo 1.0 TSI thread. Mind you, that one covers TWO cars (Polo + Vento), and still has just 10 posts in a week.
In my opinion, Polo 1.0 TSI offers more value for money (even if it attracts a premium of 60-70k OnRoad). If sedan shape is not the "criteria", as Rapid is not much bigger than Polo except for backseat legroom & trunk, Polo is a better car overall.

Polo 1.0 TSI over Rapid Rider TSI (off the shelf)

- Marginally faster & handles better. (As per tests)
- Better Wheels - R16 Alloys with 195/55 tyres.
- Better Head Unit with Apple Car Play & Android Auto.
- Relatively upmarket interiors - Premium finishes for Steering, Gear, Centre Console etc.
- Height Adjustable Driver Seat
- Cruise Control, Multi Function Display
- Steering Mounted Controls for Audio, MFD, Bluetooth
- Auto dimming IRVM, Rain sensing wipers
- Cooled Glovebox, Electrically foldable ORVMs.
- All Power Window controls from driver side + from Remote Key.
- More body colour options (7 vs 2)

Also, the fact that even a basic mod on the Rapid Rider with 16" alloys (offered in higher variants of Rapid) will void warranty. A fully loaded Polo will undercut even a mid-spec rapid by 2Lakh+.

If not important, lots of feel good factors, bragging rights for Polo -
- More Popular Worldwide (Since 1975, Currently 6th Gen although we get a Gen Old Car)
- Motorsport Pedigree - WRC '13-'16, INRC, Polo Cup.
- Looks remarkably well designed (more so over Rapid)
- Slightly better badge value (VW vs Skoda)
sechebe is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:28   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Completely agree! The Rider variant is offering significantly better performance than the Verna 1.0 Turbo Petrol DCT that has been launched at almost double the price - i.e. 7.49 lakhs versus Verna's 13.99 Lakhs.
From the reviews of the 2020 Honda City released today, it looks like Rapid 1.0 TSi may have an outright performance edge over the City as well - taking 10.09 seconds to a 100kmph as against 10.2 needed for the City.

And with better handling to match - that's a big statement for the Rapid - especially for the VFM rider variants!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:31   #378
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
If not important, lots of feel good factors, bragging rights for Polo
In addition to these points, I have always heard that living with a VW is much better than breaking your head with Skoda. This is obviously in context to warranty claims, servicing, aftersales support etc.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:42   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
In my opinion, Polo 1.0 TSI offers more value for money (even if it attracts a premium of 60-70k OnRoad). If sedan shape is not the "criteria", as Rapid is not much bigger than Polo except for backseat legroom & trunk, Polo is a better car overall.
Agree. I’ve wanted the polo TSI older gen as a second car, but with the duke at hand for commute and touring, my first car barely gets used If it’s a single car garage, hands down the Rapid wins. No contest on space. It’s not just marginally bigger, it’s a whole lot bigger. Throw in a set of bilstein B6, and a remap, one probably gets all the car that’s needed, for one car garage.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Fixing broken quote. Thanks.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 20:09   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
taking 10.09 seconds to a 100kmph as against 10.2 needed for the City.
One reviewer shows 0-100kph at 9.90 for the City 1.5P MT
Old 30th June 2020, 21:19   #381
BHPian

I am in some serious confusion. I have a Baleno Petrol 2016, I have done 21000kms in 4 years. So, yes my running is quite low. I have veen religiously following the rapid tsi thread as the itch to upgrade ovee the tin can has become exponentially more after the mouth watering pricing of the rider variant. Coming back to the confusion part, I am laying down what's in my head:

1. Buy Rapid rider now and give away baleno. Baleno has good resale, I am getting away with just 27% depreciation of the amount that I had paid in 2016.

2. Skoda visionIN is launching in Q2 2021, so wait till then and buy the SUV. I shall be wfh mostly, so driving is minimal. Just have to control the itch of upgrading for some more time.

3. Wait some more and see new Skoda notchback (launching in Q4 2021) as well and then decide whether to pick visionin suv or ANB sedan.

4. I almost want a Skoda to be my next car unless 2020 Thar changes things for me

My budget is quite flexible. Can spend anywhere between 8-15lacs on my next buy.

Any thoughts are welcome
SidR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:33   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
I am in some serious confusion. I have a Baleno Petrol 2016, I have done 21000kms in 4 years. So, yes my running is quite low.

Any thoughts are welcome
With such low running, why the crave for a new car? Also, I’d say wait it out for the ANB sedan, given your budget is upto 1.5 million bucks. You will have more options to choose from if you can wait another 15 odd months.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:49   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
With such low running, why the crave for a new car? Also, I’d say wait it out for the ANB sedan, given your budget is upto 1.5 million bucks. You will have more options to choose from if you can wait another 15 odd months.
This craving is because I am unsure of Baleno's build quality. My knowledge of cars was very little when I bought that one. It's my first car. I know it wouldn't hurt to keep the car for another year or so as road trips and going out will be little because of Covid. Always wanted to own a Skoda and a Thar. Either one will give me joy.
Old 30th June 2020, 22:02   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderer View Post

Hello All,
Its my first post here. I have booked the rider base variant (carbon steel) from SGA cars Coimbatore where BHPian Sabrish also got his.
The Sales Rep at SGA Coimbatore informed me that one cannot change the alloys to 16" as this will certainly void the warranty, however 15" alloys wont.
I was keen on changing my alloys until the SA had advised me against it.
I would like to hear what others think about this and if indeed it is possible to change the alloys without voiding warranty?

CHeers!
Hello Squanderer,
Congratulations on the Rider! You will have smiles all over your face each time you take her for a spin!

On the warranty void portion - I am pretty sure that it would technically not void it. Nevertheless, for a reassurance I have raised this with Zac Hollis - The India Head for Skoda! I will share his response once I have it. So you can do the mods in peace

However, in my case I was able to source the clubber at a steal deal and hence went for it! The logic beats me as when they are available for a higher variant of the same car and no changes to the car mechanically whatsoever across all variants.

Additionally I have retained the 15 Rims with me just in case.

If you were to get the clubber from the dealer then honestly It doesn’t make sense for the cost they quote

You could work out a deal with the dealer - I am not sure if its late but I believe another BHPian had swapped the steel rims for the alloys and paid 30K
Sabrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:03   #385
BHPian

Quote:
4. I almost want a Skoda to be my next car unless 2020 Thar changes things for me
My budget is quite flexible. Can spend anywhere between 8-15lacs on my next buy. Any thoughts are welcome
I would wait for the following reasons :
1. Your car running is low and there is no anticipated increase in the near future.
2. The Baleno would not depreciate too much in 1-2 years.
3. You could be swayed away from Skoda if some thing more appealing is launched.
4. Your budget is flexible.
5. You seem to be influenced more by the mouth- watering price of the rider variant.
I would wait rather then buy a car based more on price considerations especially when I could possibly get something better within my budget later.
moncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:13   #386
BHPian

Thanks GTO, that was a crisp and clear review. I have always loved the rapid and with the rider being offered with such a tempting price I am almost convinced to upgrade my grand i10 for the rapid rider. The only problem is that I need to visit my hometown high in the Himalayas in Uttarakhand quite often and I am worried about the ground clearance of the rapid. Should I still go for the rapid rider?
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:16   #387
BHPian

Quote:
I am in some serious confusion. I have a Baleno Petrol 2016, I have done 21000kms in 4 years.
Damn !!! And I was thinking I am the only one with this itch. Same case here buddy, i have a 2017 Baleno 1.2 Zeta done barely 22000 KM. Got bored with the car long back and the rapid is a car we cannot ignore. I event went ahead to book the Diesel variant but the company has stopped the production (this must be around Dec-Jan). Have decided long back like you that my next car ought to be a Skoda.

However COVID situation has forced me to bury my itch given the layoffs announced in my company. Only thing I can do now is pray I don't lose my job,
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:33   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I love the Etios 1.5 too and think that the car has superb balance. Might not be the fastest, but the Toyota has poise and will make you smile.

This Rapid TSI is a level up though. Just in terms of speed alone, there is no comparison.
My questions are for academic purposes only. I don't intend to buy a car. I will keep reading about cars and keep asking questions
On that note, considering that on paper the two engines are almost similar, is the Skoda 1.2 TSI with DSG a better/faster car than this Skoda 1.0 TSI manual transmission?
And..a follow-up question, in roughly the same price range, was the Abarth Punto a better driver's car with a much stronger engine? Or did the rubbery gearshift really spoil it so much that a 1.2 tsi or a 1.0 tsi trumps over it? Its not only the engine though, I guess..its also the suspension chassis etc
Old 30th June 2020, 22:41   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
My questions are for academic purposes only. I don't intend to buy a car. I will keep reading about cars and keep asking questions
On that note, considering that on paper the two engines are almost similar, is the Skoda 1.2 TSI with DSG a better/faster car than this Skoda 1.0 TSI manual transmission?
And..a follow-up question, in roughly the same price range, was the Abarth Punto a better driver's car with a much stronger engine? Or did the rubbery gearshift really spoil it so much that a 1.2 tsi or a 1.0 tsi trumps over it? Its not only the engine though, I guess..its also the suspension chassis etc
This ain't a regression equation bud. Test drive the cars and let the heart decide which combo pulls the strings. For some it's the in gear acceleration, for some it's the handling, for some its the poise. The list is endless with each facet representing a different emotion.

There wouldn't have been so many pages of discussion if the answer was an academic one.

Last edited by headbanger : 30th June 2020 at 22:44.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 22:53   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Damn !!! And I was thinking I am the only one with this itch. ,
You are not alone for sure. And, I wish this covid thing gets over soon without impacting anymore lives in anyway. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed