Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 18:35   #106
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

A strong package, no doubt. With diesel withdrawn, MPI no way had carried the burden of attracting customer and engine swap was much needed. It will not set market on fire but ensure survival of the model still. The engine itself is reason enough to ignore absence of a number of features, though lack of MID is a disappointment.

Hope Skoda runs proper campaign at right time to make people aware of a good product.
Old 29th May 2020, 20:59   #107
BHPian

We are on the look out for a petrol sedan to replace our 10 year old punto multijet and rapid really feels like the best option.
We almost bought a Honda City but later cancelled it due to its below average build. I guess there aren't many good petrol sedans out there and that makes rapid with 1 litre tsi very interesting especially the rider variant.
I wish rider came with alloy wheels but that would be too much to ask for at this price.
Alfaholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 21:12   #108
BHPian

Can I get an Automatic Rapid 1.0L TSI petrol for Rs. 8.49 Lakhs?

If this is a reality in near future, then they already have a customer The features listed by our fellows are just adequate for me, I don't need too much of bells and whistles on my car, that I wont be using often.
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 21:19   #109
BHPian

Killer pricing for the base variant, given that the new engine has got good reviews. Had the economic situation been a tad better, I'd have definitely put my money on the Carbon Steel color of this variant as a perfect replacement for my 9 year old 1.2 TDI Polo. The love affair I have with VW family of cars is certainly making me to consider this at Rs 8.5 lakhs OTR. The missed out features aren't a big deal at all and I can completely live with the package as it is, without a single modification required. The robustness, high speed stability and build quality of VAG is something I haven't seen in many other cars I've driven. Maybe time has come to replace my beloved Polo.
vw19d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 06:44   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

BLR pricelist attached.

The Rider variant is certainly VFM. Remove the essential accessories kit and get cheaper insurance from outside, and you're looking at a 9L OTR. Truly a variant launched in sync with these uncertain times when most folks will be looking for maximum VFM.

Good job, Skoda
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot_20200530064631.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RAPID 1.0 TSI.pdf (219.0 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th May 2020 at 06:47.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 07:17   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good job, Skoda
9 lakhs on-road is fantastic indeed! Get the better looking Carbon Steel colour, add a small budget for alloy wheels - it should serve nicely!

I'm also hearing that the tuners are far more excited about the 1.0 TSi compared to the old 1.2 TSi. We may be looking at more gains with a simple remap.

That said - Ambition variant is so lost in comparison. The on-road price difference in Bangalore is steep at 2.9 lakhs. That's an additional 1/3rd more - compared to Rider variant!

Ambition may get offers in the long run, as was the case earlier as well. As it is now- the primary value adds don't seem to justify that premium.
  • Alloy wheels
  • Projector headlights
  • Fog lamps, front & rear
  • Driver seat height adjustment
  • 6.5 inch infotainment system with steering mounted audio controls
  • Leather wrapping.
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • MID
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 07:37   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
9 lakhs on-road is fantastic indeed! Get the better looking Carbon Steel colour
The Rider is only available in white IINM.

But that doesn't take away the fact that it is highly VFM in its current offing.
Old 30th May 2020, 07:56   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Rider is only available in white IINM.

But that doesn't take away the fact that it is highly VFM in its current offing.
That's incorrect. It is very much available in the Carbon Steel colour.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 09:23   #114
BHPian

Quote:
The Rider variant is certainly VFM. Remove the essential accessories kit and get cheaper insurance from outside, and you're looking at a 9L OTR.
Any idea what all you get under the Essential Accessories kit that's worth 8000?
Old 30th May 2020, 09:39   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Any idea what all you get under the Essential Accessories kit that's worth 8000?

This is the price list sent by Skoda sales team,(though i didnt ask).
In the bottom you can see a section "ESSENTIAL ACCESSORIES KIT"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RAPID 1.0 TSI.pdf (219.0 KB, 563 views)
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 09:41   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BLR pricelist attached.

The Rider variant is certainly VFM. Remove the essential accessories kit and get cheaper insurance from outside, and you're looking at a 9L OTR. Truly a variant launched in sync with these uncertain times when most folks will be looking for maximum VFM.

Good job, Skoda
Check my earlier post on what other cars you can get for the exact same 9L. The Rapid is a no brainer unless you need an automatir or a compact size car. All the below cars 9L on road bangalore, infact few are 30-40K more including the Polo with the same engine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I thought this would be interesting. Other manual petrol cars you can buy for the same price of a Rapid Rider 1.0L TSI:

1. Tata Altroz XZ petrol - one below the top end
2. Tata Nexon XM petrol (30K more than Rapid) - one above base
3. Maruti Swift ZXI+ (20K more than Rapid) - top end model
4. Maruti Baleno Delta Dualjet - one above base model
5. Maruti Dzire ZXI - one below top end
6. Hyundai i10 Sportz 1.0 T-GDI - mid spec turbo petrol
7. Hyundai Venue S 1.2 - base 1.2L NA petrol
8. Hyundai Elite i20 Sportz Plus (20K more than Rapid) - One below top end model
9. Honda Amaze 1.2L V MT - One below top end
10. Ford Aspire 1.2L Titanium plus - Top end model
11. VW Polo Limited 1L TSI (40k more than the Rapid) - entry level 1L TSI with mid spec. One below highline.

I am unable to find any reason why anyone would pick any of the 10 cars in the above list over the Rapid. Only thing is size wise if someone wanted a hatch and not a sedan, then the pick would be the i10 Nios Turbo petrol 1.0L.
Quote:
9 lakhs on-road is fantastic indeed! Get the better looking Carbon Steel colour, add a small budget for alloy wheels - it should serve nicely!

That said - Ambition variant is so lost in comparison. The on-road price difference in Bangalore is steep at 2.9 lakhs. That's an additional 1/3rd more - compared to Rider variant!

Ambition may get offers in the long run, as was the case earlier as well. As it is now- the primary value adds don't seem to justify that premium.
  • Alloy wheels
  • Projector headlights
  • Fog lamps, front & rear
  • Driver seat height adjustment
  • 6.5 inch infotainment system with steering mounted audio controls
  • Leather wrapping.
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • MID
Yeah but it does have features you can't easily add on to the rider. Check this discussion. A lot of the stuff is not easy to add aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Skoda should be commended for bringing out a base variant that is not just limited to papers & promotions but can be bought and used. That said, the 2.5 lakh premium for Ambition variant is pretty steep for what it additionally offers over Rider variant, the list of additional features:

- Alloy wheels

- Chrome decor, exterior & interior

- Projector headlights

- Fog lamps, front & rear

- Child-proof rear window lock(needed)

- Auto fuel cut-off in case of crash(important)

- Anti-theft alarm(needed)

- Remote controlled power windows

- Driver seat height adjustment

- 6.5 inch infotainment system(Rider instead gets 2-din audio player)

- Steering mounted audio controls

- Leather wraps on steering wheels and gear selector, and leatherette cover on hand-brake base.

- Electrically foldable ORVMs(Though not electrically foldable but Rider gets electrically adjustable mirrors, so nothing much to miss)

- Anti-pich feature on power windows

- Telephone controls on steering wheel

- Multi-functional display(needed)

- Glovebox illumination

No offense to anyone. While the entry level variant is extremely VFM and usable, the other variants are not at all competitively priced as the base variant. Skoda - Simply Clever.
Quote:
Projectors light cannot be taken from higher model and fitted as Skoda uses different wiring harness for those. The Rider has regular H4 bulbs vs the projector ones in Style and Ambition. Fellow member Suhaasmanjunath can write a book on that!

Fog lamps retro fitting will also void warranty as wiring will have to be done for Rider variant.

Android screen can be fitted but OEM from Skoda will be ~50K.

Some features like seat height adjust, fuel cut off, steering mounted controls, anti pinch windows, multi function display etc can't even be fitted on the Rider so you can't put a price on it saying it will be X amount. These are ones manufacturer knows will tempt a buyer to move from Rider to Ambition.

The steering wheel leather wrap from Skoda OEM is one of the best in feel. No after market cover comes close to an OEM one so again it's possible to add but lipstick on a pig is still a pig underneath.

Also, if Skoda priced the Ambition 1.5L above the Rider we would all be complaining that the Rider made no sense when the Ambition offered so many extra features for 1.5L more. So either ways Skoda would get the bashing.
Old 30th May 2020, 11:01   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
This is the price list sent by Skoda sales team,(though i didnt ask).
In the bottom you can see a section "ESSENTIAL ACCESSORIES KIT"
The quality is good but maybe overpriced by ~2K. I'd have gone for it though.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img20200530wa0008.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:19   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah but it does have features you can't easily add on to the rider. Check this discussion. A lot of the stuff is not easy to add aftermarket.
When we're talking of someone on a hatchback budget, or looking to upgrade from a small car - a lot of it is not 'necessary' to add aftermarket either.

The way I see it - the point with the Rider is how affordable and well rounded it is, for someone with a mid-spec premium hatchback budget. You get a proper sedan, a turbo-petrol motor, decent dynamics and solid safety - all at a price undercutting most hatchbacks and compact sedans. The compromise, obviously, is on features.

Ambition, being priced 2.9 lakhs above it - is in a whole different budget territory.

Holds good even when seen in EMI terms! Over a 3 year term - the difference between Rider (~28k per month) and Ambition (~38k per month) is just too much! Even for a 5-year loan term, the difference comes to a very significant ~6k per month.

I guess that bargain proposition is the reason why this old car has generated so much interest in the first place!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:19   #119

I am not looking for a new car now, still I am excited and tempted to take a look at the Rider variant.
Getting the rider in Carbon Steel, adding a nice set of 15" alloys and an Apple CarPlay HU would make it my kinda car within 10L.
The only reason to reconsider this buy is that Skoda would bring the next gen Rapid to India in another couple of years.
Old 30th May 2020, 11:45   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When we're talking of someone on a hatchback budget, or looking to upgrade from a small car - a lot of it is not 'necessary' to add aftermarket either.

The way I see it - the point with the Rider is how affordable and well rounded it is, for someone with a mid-spec premium hatchback budget. You get a proper sedan, a turbo-petrol motor, decent dynamics and solid safety - all at a price undercutting most hatchbacks and compact sedans. The compromise, obviously, is on features.

Ambition, being priced 2.9 lakhs above it - is in a whole different budget territory.

Holds good even when seen in EMI terms! Over a 3 year term - the difference between Rider (~28k per month) and Ambition (~38k per month) is just too much! Even for a 5-year loan term, the difference comes to a very significant ~6k per month.
No denying that the Rider is well priced, hence my comparison post.

However my point was that there will still be folks interested in the Ambition as the features it adds are significant and being just under 10L ex showroom it also gets lower road tax benefits.

But the competition will be stiffer since you can get the City, Verna and Vento in that budget now as well as more options in compact SUV category.

The Ambition is loaded pretty decently and the top end Style doesn't have a lot of must have features vs the Ambition.

The Rider remains the pick of the lot now.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed