Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:26   #151
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
Also, I did ask Zac about the launch of the automatic variant of Rapid... Attached is the screenshot of the conversation.

Cartoq just wrote an article around my tweet conversation with Zac.

https://www.cartoq.com/skoda-rapid-1...unch-timeline/
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot_20200602113126.png  

Last edited by SidR : 2nd June 2020 at 16:28.
SidR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:34   #152
BANNED

Well, here are two videos by a dear friend VJ, he has comprehensively covered both Rider and Style variants, the more I watch them both - the more I get convinced towards the Rider

VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:32   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Well, here are two videos by a dear friend VJ, he has comprehensively covered both Rider and Style variants, the more I watch them both - the more I get convinced towards the Rider
That drivers reaction at 3.40...WOW and the smile afterwards says a lot.

This engine surely needs to be driven to believe it.The interest is surely shifting away from Polo TSI to the Rider as of now.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd June 2020 at 13:13. Reason: Video links removed from the quoted portion
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:08   #154
BHPian

The world over, the 110 PS trim of this 1.0 TSI engine has 200NM of torque. We get a slightly detuned number of 175NM.
The engine seems to have a great potential for remaps - 130BHP with 220+NM should be achievable.

Great value, and suddenly makes the 1.2 GT TSi they've been selling for so long look incredibly overpriced.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:40   #155
BHPian

Re: The "I Booked my Car" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Hello Dear Fellas,
After a short test drive yesterday I booked;

Make : Skoda
Model : Rapid
Variant : Rider 1.0 TSI
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 01/06/2020
Color : Candy White
Dealership: Akoya Skoda, Pune
Booking Amount: INR 25,000/-
On-Road Price: INR 8,82,000
Expected Delivery Date : 15-20 days, as I have been told
Freebies : None
Accessories Planned: Just a set of Skoda make Alloys ( Rider variant comes with Steel Wheels)

Congratulations mate! Wish you a Happy Driving experience with your german baby.

Can you comment on the performance of the 1.0 TSI considering the heavy body of the Rapid?
Archie_27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:24   #156
BHPian

Awesome Mr. Nifty. I am also planning to get this. Did you test drove this before booking ? If yes can you share some insights on how is it to drive ? Underpowerd ? Overpowered ? Handling ? NVH ?

Quote:
Hello Dear Fellas,
After a short test drive yesterday I booked;

Make : Skoda
Model : Rapid
Variant : Rider 1.0 TSI
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 01/06/2020
Color : Candy White
Dealership: Akoya Skoda, Pune
Booking Amount: INR 25,000/-
On-Road Price: INR 8,82,000
Expected Delivery Date : 15-20 days, as I have been told
Freebies : None
Accessories Planned: Just a set of Skoda make Alloys ( Rider variant comes with Steel Wheels)

Have been waiting for a long time to book the "right" car. This seemed to be the perfect bang for the buck, and I do consider myself an enthusiast like many others here, and i believe the man and machine will take care of each other.
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:38   #157
Senior - BHPian

They say it is a 5 seater but is it really wider than a Polo though? Would there be any leg space behind a 6 foot 3 driver with the seat all the way back?

Rapid owners feel free to chime in. Also is the driver's seat spacious for a 6 foot 3 guy?
Old 3rd June 2020, 23:08   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie_27 View Post
Congratulations mate! Wish you a Happy Driving experience with your german baby.

Can you comment on the performance of the 1.0 TSI considering the heavy body of the Rapid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Awesome Mr. Nifty. I am also planning to get this. Did you test drove this before booking ? If yes can you share some insights on how is it to drive ? Underpowerd ? Overpowered ? Handling ? NVH ?
Thank you, I'm excited about this.

I would never consider buying a car without taking a thorough test drive. In the current case, the dealership was generous enough to let me evaluate the car to my liking, and allowed me to take the car on both Highway and City.

The performance of 1.0 TSI especially in the rapid is, I would say, that of a typical turbo petrol's. There is a lag , however it is quite linear compared to other Turbo-Petrol's. But then, you don't really consider buying this car to be lurking around in the lower rpm range (lower than 1600). The mid range is meaty, with the the typical exhaust throaty note. It reaches 100 kph in no time, and since I drove the test drive vehicle, which had hardly done 500 kms, I didn't go beyond 120, even though the engine looked ready to go a lot faster; Top speed being ~190 kph. But then I feel, the top end is never really the major thing, it's the character of the engine, the way it pulls post 2000 rpm which will put a smile on you as you do a Wide Open.

Rapid has always been a great handler, and a composed rider. Did some high speed lane changes, and never felt out of control. It changes lane and settles down like nobody's business. The ride quality especially on some of my usual pothole smitten road was quite composed, pretty similar to the previous gen. The steering feedback of VAG is just something none of the other manufacturers at this price range can ever match. It's just spot on! Very mild On-Center loose feel, but then that deals with its active safety thing, and it weighs pretty linearly as the speed builds up.
The only downer from the test drive would be getting used to the usable torque band from the engine rpm so that you don't stall your engine, while maneuvering over bad roads or say an incline (No Hill Hold Assist), but nothing bothersome.

In terms of NVH:
- Overall isolation is quite good, however the Engine does get vocal post 3500 rpm.
- Road Noise is just acceptable, and you could easily hear the Road Rumble, and tire pattern noise as the speed crops up. A tyre upgrade is what I'll have on my cards after sometime.
- Wind Noise is well controlled, and feels well isolated. Doing 120kph all day long is gonna be super comfortable!
- Considering it to be a 3-cylinder I did expect some Vibrations, but nothing that I couldn't live with. Overall Drive Vibrations are pretty sorted.

Overall I loved the car and felt connected with it, so went ahead and booked it. This is going to be my mile-muncher/ghat-farer/touring-partner for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Nifty.Nishy : 3rd June 2020 at 23:20.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 23:19   #159
BANNED

Skoda seems to be undoing a lot of the mistakes of the past with this phenomenal deal. It makes so much more sense than buying a sub 4 m sedan at a similar price.
I think Skoda should shed the premium tag which has set them back considerably, and go with ultra competitive pricing and safe platforms.
If only I was in the market for a car right now, this would definitely be in the shortlist.
As a long term Skoda owner, such changes are soooo welcome and bode well for the brand !
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 01:08   #160
BHPian

Spot on Sir. I know a bhpian would never book a car without TD but I was just being formal.
Looks very appealing & interesting from your review. I am torn between Polo / Rapid / Ecosports (All Petrol). Rapid rider here is more VFM than any of the considerations. Let me try to find a showroom this weekend and probably go for a spin.

Quote:
Thank you, I'm excited about this.

I would never consider buying a car without taking a thorough test drive.

In terms of NVH:
- Overall isolation is quite good, however the Engine does get vocal post 3500 rpm.
- Road Noise is just acceptable, and you could easily hear the Road Rumble, and tire pattern noise as the speed crops up. A tyre upgrade is what I'll have on my cards after sometime.
- Wind Noise is well controlled, and feels well isolated. Doing 120kph all day long is gonna be super comfortable!
- Considering it to be a 3-cylinder I did expect some Vibrations, but nothing that I couldn't live with. Overall Drive Vibrations are pretty sorted.

Overall I loved the car and felt connected with it, so went ahead and booked it. This is going to be my mile-muncher/ghat-farer/touring-partner for the foreseeable future.
Rapid was always a good looking, smart sedan IMO. I was always sold on the interior quality & handling it has.Skoda has really taken a step towards betterment. If only they could better their ASS, this particular variant could be the next Swift .
The only thing that I feel should have been there is the projector headlamp setup. At least it should have been a accessory install. But nevertheless the interior quality and handling is such that those things probably can be ignored .
I test drove the 1.6 petrol last year, handling was good and lower rpm were linear. Thought it did not had any mid/turbo/top range.
Do you have any idea if we can somehow get the projector setup in rider ? I know the wiring will be entirely different.

BTW is there any Skoda owner here from Ghaziabad. Any Skoda dealership nearbuy ? I only see 2 in Noida

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th June 2020 at 05:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Old 4th June 2020, 02:19   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
They say it is a 5 seater but is it really wider than a Polo though? Would there be any leg space behind a 6 foot 3 driver with the seat all the way back?

Rapid owners feel free to chime in. Also is the driver's seat spacious for a 6 foot 3 guy?
It is more comfortable than Polo. There is definitely more leg room. If you are 6'3" and with the seat all the way back there will be very little space for the back passengers. But you will be comfortable at the driver seat. Same goes for Vento.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 08:15   #162
Senior - BHPian

The EcoBoost had tons of semitechnical literature available. If anything similar is available for this engine, could someone point me towards it.

Similarly for any comparo (technical, not driving impressions from SA!) between the 1.0 TSi and the EcoBoost 1.0?

Sutripta
Old 4th June 2020, 09:15   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Please refer below.

1. Although it is about the Skoda Karoq, it contains a lot of good technical information about the 1.0 TSI (Pages 7-16). This is one of the engines offered on the Karoq internationally. In countries such as UK, there is significantly lower taxes for cars with low-emission engines and so many people prefer to go for smaller engines in larger cars.

2. Engine Service Self-study - it is very detailed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ŠKODA-KAROQ-vehicle-presentation-Part-II.pdf (2.91 MB, 1695 views)
File Type: pdf SSP-539_1_0-l_3-cylinder_TSI_Engine.pdf (2.39 MB, 4624 views)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th June 2020 at 09:38.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 09:49   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
It is more comfortable than Polo. There is definitely more leg room. If you are 6'3" and with the seat all the way back there will be very little space for the back passengers. But you will be comfortable at the driver seat. Same goes for Vento.
Rapid & Vento have never struggled for leg space, but only for width.
Refer the TBHP review of the interiors:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post2578133 (Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review)
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 12:25   #165
Senior - BHPian

For width for cars upto mid sized sedans and compact suvs, the baleno, jazz and honda rule and are most spacious for rear bench width. I think Baleno car width is just a notch more than city as well specs wise
Closed Thread

Most Viewed