Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 15:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

I test drove the Rapid today. Following are my observations.

- The engine is powerful. The 2nd and 3rd gears above 2000 rpm are addictive.
- Car gains speeds quickly
- Didn't do any corners but lane changes at high speeds did not disturb the composure
- Engine is very silent at idle. I had to double check if it was running.
- Clutch and gearbox are easy to operate.
- High speed noise is acceptable

Overall I liked the car and the Rider variant comes across as very VFM at ~9.1L. I am planning to book one.

Only drawback was that the executive said they can't fix the Touch screen infotainment system in the Rider variant.

Last edited by safari_lover : 4th June 2020 at 16:22.
safari_lover is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:05   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Only drawback was that the executive said they can't fix the Touch screen infotainment system in the Rider variant.
Don't worry about that - Once you get the car, find a dealer that can supply an RCD340 or RCD360 to you - it's a 2 minute plug and play job. Hit me up if you can't find anyone, I replaced my Vento's HU with an RCD340G Plus last year, I'll give you the contact details of the guy who sourced mine.
DeKay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:08   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
They say it is a 5 seater but is it really wider than a Polo though? Would there be any leg space behind a 6 foot 3 driver with the seat all the way back?

Rapid owners feel free to chime in. Also is the driver's seat spacious for a 6 foot 3 guy?
We have a Vento at home. While legroom isn't a issue, width definitely is. 3 well built adults at the back will surely complain after a few hours. We compensate by switching seats every few hours while changing drivers. A very comfortable 4 seater though.

Please take your family along and check the rear seat width with every other car. The saving grace is that there are no contours in the middle portion which frees up some space to sit properly. Last time we checked, this was an issue in the Honda City as well! If you have kids, they wouldn't complain much I guess.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 22:11   #169
BHPian

Can we fix the projector setup from higher variants ? Alloys are anyways sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I test drove the Rapid today. Following are my observations.

- The engine is powerful. The 2nd and 3rd gears above 2000 rpm are addictive.
- Car gains speeds quickly
- Didn't do any corners but lane changes at high speeds did not disturb the composure
- Engine is very silent at idle. I had to double check if it was running.
- Clutch and gearbox are easy to operate.
- High speed noise is acceptable

Overall I liked the car and the Rider variant comes across as very VFM at ~9.1L. I am planning to book one.

ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 22:43   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Can we fix the projector setup from higher variants ? .
No. Not officially but unofficially you can. Will void warranty.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 23:20   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we fix the projector setup from higher variants ? Alloys are anyways sorted.
I don't think projector setup can be fixed. Not officially anyways.
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 23:34   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can fix practically anything you have on the higher variants of the car into the entry level variants but most dealerships may not take the pains to do it even if you are willing to pay the costs since it requires a whole lot of parts which they are not readily aware of, their technicians will have to spend a lot of time going through the wiring diagrams from the online systems, sourcing each and every part from the nearest parts depot, assuring factory fitment (which won't happen in all certainty especially with wiring harness), warranty issues etc.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2020 at 23:41.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:40   #173
BHPian

Re: The "I Booked my Car" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Thank you, I'm excited about this.

Overall I loved the car and felt connected with it, so went ahead and booked it. This is going to be my mile-muncher/ghat-farer/touring-partner for the foreseeable future.
Congrats Nishy. Its a fantastic deal, there aren't any major features that I would miss from the higher variants.
My thoughts on the upgrades you have planned,
A) Head Unit : I wouldn't change the OE head unit. I always prefer Google Maps on my phone than the GPS in my head unit.
B) Alloy Wheels : As you rightly said, OE alloys are designed and tested extensively. Maybe you can pick up OE alloys from an after market dealer

Happy motoring
Vampirevipin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 19:09   #174
BHPian

I thought that Skoda is providing OE alloys as an official accessory. Vw is providing it though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post
Congrats Nishy. Its a fantastic deal, there aren't any major features that I would miss from the higher variants.
My thoughts on the upgrades you have planned,
A) Head Unit : I wouldn't change the OE head unit. I always prefer Google Maps on my phone than the GPS in my head unit.
B) Alloy Wheels : As you rightly said, OE alloys are designed and tested extensively. Maybe you can pick up OE alloys from an after market dealer

Happy motoring
Old 5th June 2020, 19:28   #175
Senior - BHPian

The OEM alloys that Skoda says will sell for 50k, is that the same alloy on the regular variants of the Rapid? I would take the Onyx/Monte Carlo alloys if it was optional.
Old 5th June 2020, 19:29   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Overall I loved the car and felt connected with it, so went ahead and booked it. This is going to be my mile-muncher/ghat-farer/touring-partner for the foreseeable future.
Hearty Congratulations!
I am also looking for a test drive before deciding further. The limited amount of reviews on Youtube have helped a bit.
I spoke the dealer in Pune got to know that there is no exchange bonus/ Corporate discount on the Rider. You do get it on the next variants for Rapid. Did you manage to get any?
Old 5th June 2020, 20:17   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post
Congrats Nishy.

Quote:
I thought that Skoda is providing OE alloys as an official accessory. Vw is providing it though .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The OEM alloys that Skoda says will sell for 50k, is that the same alloy on the regular variants of the Rapid? I would take the Onyx/Monte Carlo alloys if it was optional.
When I checked with the dealership regarding alloys he quoted the following in case of buy back:
1. Ambition (15 inches): INR 30,000
2. Onyx (16 inches): INR 80,000

Skoda, more or less like any other company is known for finding out ways around the warranty, the last thing I would want to do is let my warranty go void. So I'm going to stick to the same dealership.
The Onyx clubbers look fab, but a bit too much on the pocket for me at this time. I guess Monte Carlo alloys also must be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacd80 View Post
Hearty Congratulations!

I spoke with the dealer in Pune got to know that there is no exchange bonus/ Corporate discount on the Rider. You do get it on the next variants for Rapid. Did you manage to get any?
Nope, I checked for Corporate discount, but nothing on the Rider variant. Clearly Skoda has very thoughtfully laid out this variant, Simply Clever!

Last edited by Nifty.Nishy : 5th June 2020 at 20:20.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 20:44   #178
Senior - BHPian

Wow 80 grand for those alloys? Do they atleast come with proper 16" tyres? If not then one might aswell buy the Onyx Rapid then

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 5th June 2020 at 20:45.
Old 5th June 2020, 21:44   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you wait out a few months, and soon you will have OE alloys on sale on OLX/Local shops. You will easily get them for 4-5K an alloy, and maybe cheaper.
Old 5th June 2020, 23:42   #180
BHPian

I checked the skoda website, just curious to know more details and this is what I found. Rider does not have any airbags as well as no security system . This was shocking for me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot-20200605-11.39.52-pm.png  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot-20200605-11.39.29-pm.png  

ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed