Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 12:29   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Autocar opines on the Rapid Rider. The pricing has been shocking enough that auto press is doing articles devoted to just this variant!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...promise-417536

They are clearly bowled over - "Costs a substantial Rs 2.50 lakh less than the next variant without compromising on the basics". "Skoda deserves applause " "The most affordable turbo-petrol sedan on sale in India" "Promises great bang for the buck""could turn out to be the most exciting car for the money".

Who said (reasonable) money can’t buy you happiness?
84.monsoon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 02:05   #227
BHPian

Tweeted Zac again regarding the availability of accessories, as the dealership here has no clue whatsoever. As per the sales GM, they have already delivered four Rider variants and almost all the customers (one is a friend of mine) are pestering them for accessories like fog lamps, alloys, steering mounted controls, etc.

At least now we know that they are working on making some accessories available. However, i don't think they would do anything regarding the steering mounted controls and MID officially, since these do not fall under the category of the run of the mill accessories.

Tweet screenshot attached. Kindly ignore the middle portion as it got scrambled for some reason unknown.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot_20200612013943_1.jpg  

shankha007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 02:07   #228
BHPian

Dear All,

Background:

As i had mentioned a week or two ago, I had taken a test drive of the Polo TSI (manual variant) and was bowled over by the car. I had even posted a detailed test drive experience on a separate thread.

Then, Skoda came out with the Rapid and the Rider variant and managed to undercut the Polo TSI (albeit with a few features trimmed off).

I had taken a test drive of the Rapid Rider variant last weekend. It was a very smooth affair. Reached out to the Skoda dealership on St Marks Road, Bangalore. The Sales Executive(Naveen Gowda - 95385 61237) was polite and knowledgeable. He arranged for a test drive immediately. He was even kind enough to bring the test drive car to my residence on the weekend so that my parents could test drive the vehicle as well. In comparison, the response from Volkswagen was very lacklustre and therefore the decision to move towards the Skoda was becoming easier.

Coming to the actual test drive experience in itself, the ride and handling experience was largely the same as the Polo TSI variant. The Skoda Rapid may have a few additional pounds, but it is no slouch by any means. The added weight seems to give it an additional air of solidity as opposed to the Polo at higher speeds. Downshift the car to second gear, and floor the accelerator and the car will surge forward with a raw throaty roar which is actually quite invigorating to your ears. The car notches up brisk pace before you know it. While the Polo is a hot hatch, this is one sleek sedan which appears unassuming, but can surely as someone else had pointed out earlier, be a great sleeper car as well.

Booking Experience:

Subsequently, a round of negotiations followed. Skoda was unwilling to offer any discounts on the Rider variant. However, the dealership manager was more than happy to offer heavy discounts on the Onyx variant and offered the Onyx Variant to me at 12.26 Lakhs Onroad Bangalore. While this was tempting, it did not seem as a justifiable expense of over 3 Lakhs over the Rider variant. Moreover, from a resale point of view as well, it did not make sense to splurge on the additional 3 lakhs as no future buyer would appreciate the differences between the Rider and the Onyx variants.

However, the Rider does have the following quirks which we will have to live with:
  • MID display does not display the distance to empty and current speed.
  • Driver's Seat is not height adjustable. However, I am 6'2 and the seat is set fairly low and i found the Rider Variant's driver's seat height to be perfect for me. Shorter passengers may face a bit of an issue. Nonetheless, we are moving towards a trend with more cars offering this feature as a basic necessity.
  • Skoda should not have skimped out on the above two features, especially when they are providing features like a rear defogger, Auto AC, rear armrest and non-fixed headrests which are 'premium features" in the base variant itself. It just seems silly when a base variant offers these features, but customers are expected to pay upwards of 2 lakhs for the next variant which essentially gives you a touchscreen head unit, steering mounted controls, fog lamps and a projector headlight setup along with some chrome bits thrown here and there.

Once, the negotiations were wrapped up, the Rider variant was coming up to an onroad price of 9.13 lakhs in Bangalore, with no additional frills or features. The dealership was happy to waive off the booking amount and I only had to send an email confirming my booking.

Now, I need some help from my fellow BHPians:
  1. The Rider variant comes in only Carbon Steel and Candy White Variants. It is a real pickle to choose between the two. The Carbon Steel is a stunner but the Candy Rider variant has the typical understated elegance of any German car. Thankfully, I have a week or so to indicate my preference. So I look forward to all your suggestions. Attaching the pics of the Candy White and Carbon Steel variants for reference.
  2. I am planning to install the RCD360 Head Unit which comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, to maintain the stock look of the car. Is anyone aware of any accessories shops in Bangalore who would have the same in stock and would install the same?
  3. I am also planning to upgrade the stock 15 inch wheels and steel rims to a set of 16 inch alloys and tyres. Would anyone be able to recommend a good tyre store in central Bangalore where i could explore some options?

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-cs-1.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-cs-2.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-cw-2.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-cw-1.jpeg

Thanks for reading all!
tejascshetty is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 02:22   #229
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
Tweeted Zac again regarding the availability of accessories, as the dealership here has no clue whatsoever. As per the sales GM, they have already delivered four Rider variants and almost all the customers (one is a friend of mine) are pestering them for accessories like fog lamps, alloys, steering mounted controls, etc.
Usually accessories available in showroom are overpriced and the same is available outside/foreign website at a much lesser price.
Old 12th June 2020, 10:06   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
[*]The Rider variant comes in only Carbon Steel and Candy White Variants. It is a real pickle to choose between the two. The Carbon Steel is a stunner but the Candy Rider variant has the typical understated elegance of any German car. Thankfully, I have a week or so to indicate my preference. So I look forward to all your suggestions. Attaching the pics of the Candy White and Carbon Steel variants for reference.

Thanks for reading all!
Congratulations on your booking! A great car and excellent value indeed. Personally, I would recommend the carbon steel. The white looks a bit jaded and due to the conventional shape, will fade in the crowd.

Also, another reason for avoiding the white - We can't totally rule out a small risk of the white Rapids joining the taxi fleet, since there are so few diesel sedan options now available. While Honda has come out and openly said "the current generation City will sell alongside the next generation, but will not be offered to fleet operators", Skoda has not taken a clear position on this. The Rapid Rider has such a spacious interior, rear AC vents, a massive boot plus pretty good fuel efficiency when driven sedately. Also seems to have the "boss lever" to push the front seat forward from the back as in the picture attached. Can't be sure if this is present in the Rider variant, but some of the Youtube reviews of the Rapid seem to show it

For all these reasons, it may start to figure as an option among fleet operators. Joy to the drivers, who can rip now and then and shock private car owners by sailing past most of them on highways!
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_9009.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th June 2020 at 10:09.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:58   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post

I am also planning to upgrade the stock 15 inch wheels and steel rims to a set of 16 inch alloys and tyres. Would anyone be able to recommend a good tyre store in central Bangalore where i could explore some options?
For tires, head straight to Madhus either in Langford Town or in Wilson Garden (they have two stores both of which would not be very far from the Skoda showroom on St Marks Road). The store is owned and operated by Nikhil, a D-BHPian and I personally find the service and value there to be top notch, as do many other forum members in Bangalore.

By the way, unless there is some compelling reason for it, you can consider sticking to 15 inchers. Not only will it save money when it comes to the tire and alloy prices, but 15 inchers, if chosen in the right size (196/60 R15) will offer a comfortable ride as well. I personally run this size on my City and am happy with it.

For tires, consider Michelin Primacy 4 ST. Good tires at a slightly premium price, but well worth it.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 11:30   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Congratulations on your booking! A great car and excellent value indeed. Personally, I would recommend the carbon steel. The white looks a bit jaded and due to the conventional shape, will fade in the crowd.

Also, another reason for avoiding the white - We can't totally rule out a small risk of the white Rapids joining the taxi fleet, since there are so few diesel sedan options now available. While Honda has come out and openly said "the current generation City will sell alongside the next generation, but will not be offered to fleet operators", Skoda has not taken a clear position on this. The Rapid Rider has such a spacious interior, rear AC vents, a massive boot plus pretty good fuel efficiency when driven sedately. Also seems to have the "boss lever" to push the front seat forward from the back as in the picture attached. Can't be sure if this is present in the Rider variant, but some of the Youtube reviews of the Rapid seem to show it

For all these reasons, it may start to figure as an option among fleet operators. Joy to the drivers, who can rip now and then and shock private car owners by sailing past most of them on highways!
Thanks for your wishes!

With regard to your point on the Rider Variant being an option with the fleet operators, I spoke to Skoda about the same. While at the dealership level, they had not been approached yet by any fleet operators, they were skeptical as to whether fleet operators would opt for the Rider variant because of the perceived high maintenance costs, and the premium tag, but regardless they were unwilling to give a firm commitment that this variant would not be offered to the fleet operators. So that is a factor I will have to bear in mind as well.

Also, to clarify, the present variants of the Skoda Rapid do not come with the lever to push the front seat forward from the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
For tires, head straight to Madhus either in Langford Town or in Wilson Garden (they have two stores both of which would not be very far from the Skoda showroom on St Marks Road). The store is owned and operated by Nikhil, a D-BHPian and I personally find the service and value there to be top notch, as do many other forum members in Bangalore.

By the way, unless there is some compelling reason for it, you can consider sticking to 15 inchers. Not only will it save money when it comes to the tire and alloy prices, but 15 inchers, if chosen in the right size (196/60 R15) will offer a comfortable ride as well. I personally run this size on my City and am happy with it.

For tires, consider Michelin Primacy 4 ST. Good tires at a slightly premium price, but well worth it.
Thank you for your suggestions. Will make a trip to Madhus soon after getting the car!

Last edited by SDP : 12th June 2020 at 12:59. Reason: Please edit original post instead of posting back to back posts. Kindly revisit the forum rules
tejascshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 23:40   #233
BHPian

Came across a video wherein the reviewer claims that the 6-speed gearbox is already on it's limit for max torque/ power handling?.

I am sure many of us have come across a lot of Stage1 remaps of Polo/ UP GTi across the internet which produces 130+ hp/230+ Nm., equipped with 6-MT. Even in stock tune it's 115PS/200Nm.

So have Skoda-VW equipped Indian models with a different 6speed gearbox? Anyone?
sechebe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:18   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
C
I am sure many of us have come across a lot of Stage1 remaps of Polo/ UP GTi across the internet which produces 130+ hp/230+ Nm., equipped with 6-MT. Even in stock tune it's 115PS/200Nm.

So have Skoda-VW equipped Indian models with a different 6 speed gearbox? Anyone?
Following are the specs of the 6-speed manual gearboxes from the VW group. In addition, a brand new MQ281 box has been introduced last year which can handle up to 340NM. This one is definitely not coming to India anytime soon.

So we are either getting the MQ200 or MQ250 in the newly launched Polo, Vento and Rapid TSI cars. Even assuming we are getting only the MQ200, it should still be able to handle up to 200NM.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-capture.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th June 2020 at 09:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 17:13   #235
BHPian

Quote:
So we are either getting the MQ200 or MQ250 in the newly launched Polo, Vento and Rapid TSI cars. Even assuming we are getting only the MQ200, it should still be able to handle up to 200NM.
Thanks for the info.

I just confirmed with VW, the 6-Speed Manual is indeed MQ200. Now this might be the reason for the current state of tune for Skoda-VW 1.0 TSI @ 110PS/175Nm instead of the expected 115PS/200Nm, as sold internationally.

A Stage 1 Remap will push the torque numbers to 230-240NM, so is it advisable to do it with an MQ200 'box?
Old 13th June 2020, 17:36   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I just confirmed with VW, the 6-Speed Manual is indeed MQ200. Now this might be the reason for the current state of tune for Skoda-VW 1.0 TSI @ 110PS/175Nm instead of the expected 115PS/200Nm, as sold internationally.

A Stage 1 Remap will push the torque numbers to 230-240NM, so is it advisable to do it with an MQ200 'box?
I drive the Golf 1.4 TSI 125ps/200Nm with MQ200 gearbox. I see in german forums that few guys did dyno test for stock car and reported upto 230Nm stock torque and on top of that many are running ECU remap or chip tuning upto 260Nm. VAG mostly under report numbers be it power/torque or 0-100 timings.
gopi_rm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 18:40   #237
BHPian

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:

Remaps on most cars makes them cross the torque limit of the OEM gearbox. So it's not a new thing.
Take this Fiat example:
All versions of Punto use the same GB including the Abarth.
Abarth - 212 NM
Punto MJD 90 HP: 209 NM
Punto MJD 75 HP: 197 NM

The GB's torque capacity is 212 NM so Abarth is actually tuned to the limit. But it doesn't mean remapping it would screw the GB. There are lots remapped Puntos out there that are at least punching out 230-240 NMs of torque without any issues, including mine.

Last edited by Waspune : 13th June 2020 at 18:44.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 19:32   #238
Team-BHP Support

The Climatronic unit in the base variant seems like an oversight. They should have equipped the Rider variant with the manual AC and blower controls and the complete master window controls for the driver side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
VAG mostly under report numbers be it power/torque or 0-100 timings.
Or emissions.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 20:16   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I would recommend the carbon steel. The white looks a bit jaded and due to the conventional shape, will fade in the crowd.
+1

Dude, I drive first generation white Vento and carbon steel looks damn sexy. I know its mind boggling to chose the right colour. When I purchased my Hexa, I literally asked the SA to choose the colour for me, because it is so overwhelming. But I let the heart take the cake and choose blue. If I am you I will close my eye and pick carbon steel as I already have a white Vento
Old 13th June 2020, 20:28   #240
BHPian

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

@tejasshetty: As far as selecting the colour go I feel that it should be your personal choice as it's a subjective thing.
However the only point I want to bring up is that White is more mod-friendly colour if you intend to tinker with the looks (read: roof/grill/bonnet wraps/alloys etc). That grey colour would look the best as is.

Last edited by Waspune : 13th June 2020 at 20:29.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks