Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 22:25   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Climatronic unit in the base variant seems like an oversight. They should have equipped the Rider variant with the manual AC and blower controls and the complete master window controls for the driver side.
Rather they could have given the height adjustable driver seat and cruise control, could have ticked all essential boxes for me.
I really don't ever set a specific temperature through Auto Climate Control on my Ecopsort, but I treat it like a manual AC and change blower speed and temperature directly. I fond for our kind of hot conditions, the ACC works too hard initially to try to bring the car quickly to the set temperature and this is noisy and distracting. On higher end cars like the BMW, the ACC works more intelligently, working hard to cool down the car initially, but not overworking enough to be obtrusive.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 23:11   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
Subsequently, a round of negotiations followed. Skoda was unwilling to offer any discounts on the Rider variant. However, the dealership manager was more than happy to offer heavy discounts on the Onyx variant and offered the Onyx Variant to me at 12.26 Lakhs Onroad Bangalore. While this was tempting, it did not seem as a justifiable expense of over 3 Lakhs over the Rider variant. Moreover, from a resale point of view as well, it did not make sense to splurge on the additional 3 lakhs as no future buyer would appreciate the differences between the Rider and the Onyx variants.

Thanks for reading all!
Congrats on your booking.

While I initially thought that the Oynx features would be an easy sell in the used market, I took a second look at what the Rider offers and feel that your decision in this respect makes sense as the Rider has all the basic convenience features covered and then some.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 13th June 2020 at 23:15.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 00:47   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Once, the negotiations were wrapped up, the Rider variant was coming up to an onroad price of 9.13 lakhs in Bangalore, with no additional frills or features. The dealership was happy to waive off the booking amount and I only had to send an email confirming my booking.
Hi Tejas,
Firstly congrats on your booking.
Nice selection, it will surely bring a smile on your face, everytime you go for a drive in it.

Quote:
The Rider variant comes in only Carbon Steel and Candy White Variants. Thankfully, I have a week or so to indicate my preference. So I look forward to all your suggestions.
Please choose the colour which your heart says, since it's a subjective thing.
If I was in your position, I would go ahead with white.
The sheer elegance it brings to the car is not be ignored.

To make it more pleasing to the eyes, you can just add :
1. Black wrap to ORVMs and roof
2. A trunk lip spoiler in white/black
3. Good set of alloys
4. Fog lamps for the looks and functional aspect
And there, you got yourself a looker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Climatronic unit in the base variant seems like an oversight. They should have equipped the Rider variant with the manual AC and blower controls and the complete master window controls for the driver side.
Exactly.
Me and my friend were thinking exactly on the same lines. (Currently my friend is in search of a car with sub 10Lak onroad price)

Most of the prospective buyers of the rider variant, would have been happier if manual AC, master window controls and a height adjustable driver seat were provided instead of the climatronic unit.

On this regard, a doubt !!(asking on behalf of my friend). Haven't seen the car personally yet, hence the doubt.

Scenario:
Suppose the rear passengers forgets to close the windows, then how actually the driver is supposed to close it without the master control buttons?
1. Does it have window auto riser feature? Which closes all windows on click of lock button on remote?
2. Or, does the rear switches have delay function, after engine off? which helps the driver to close each window manually before locking?
3. Or is it like, driver has to keep ignition on, close all windows manually first and then lock the car?

Sorry if it sounds naive.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 14th June 2020 at 00:59.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 01:13   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
Driving the Polo next week, so would be able to compare and finalise
Finally drove the Polo today. The Flash Red made me forget the fact that it has a cramped rear seat.

Coming to the differences, the Polo felt somewhat more refined. The seat was totally vibe free, unlike on the Rapid, which had mild pulses creeping in. Engine noise inside the cabin was similar to that of the Rapid.

The Rapid, however had a much flatter ride compared to the Polo, which felt a little on the bouncier side.

One thing that really impressed me was the FE. The trip FE was reset, and even after driving it at high revs (did not redline it though), it was returning around 10 kmpl, and as soon as i went a little easy on the throttle, it climbed up to 11.5 kmpl. With the Rapid's higher claimed FE, it should perform similarly, if not better.

If space is not an issue and features are important, the Polo is the car to go for. However, if features are not that important, the Rapid offers better value without compromising on the basics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img20200613wa0008.jpg  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img20200613wa0009.jpg  

Last edited by shankha007 : 14th June 2020 at 01:28. Reason: Added photos.
shankha007 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 17:32   #245
BHPian

I did a test drive of the polo 1.0 tsi and I really liked the drive. I had almost set my mind on going ahead with the booking before I read the Rapid's pricing undercutting the Polo by around 50k. I might still pay the same money for the Rapid if I decide to swap the steel rims for the OEM alloys. Now I would like some help in deciding between the two. As I see it, the major differentiators between the two are:
Polo
pros:
1. Has all the bells and whistles.
2. There are two VW dealerships in Chennai, so I'm assuming competition helps in relative better service.
Cons:
1. Rear legroom and width. Both myself and dad are 6'2" and this might make it difficult for the rear passengers.
Rapid:
Pros:
1. Though I haven't test driven, I assume more rear space.
Cons:
1. Only one dealership in Chenai. Negative perception about their A.S.S. Not sure about the ground reality.
2. Misses out on some features - not deal breakers though.

All advice appreciated.
Old 14th June 2020, 19:26   #246
Senior - BHPian

If you're 6 foot and over go with the Rapid. You get a bigger boot as a bonus.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:00   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
I did a test drive of the polo 1.0 tsi and I really liked the drive. I had almost set my mind on going ahead with the booking before I read the Rapid's pricing undercutting the Polo by around 50k..

All advice appreciated.

Unless you use the car frequently with passengers at the back, the Polo is the better choice. You are getting a top end trim in the Polo, while you only get a base variant in the Rapid. Although the Rapid base variant is reasonably equipped, you will still miss the cruise control, touchscreen ICE with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, projector headlamps, all 4 windows control, 16 inch alloy wheels, cornering lights, that delicious flat bottom steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, height-adjustable driver seat, electrically foldable ORVMs, auto dimming IRVM, front and rear fog lamps and steering-shell mounted audio controls. Also, the Polo still looks fresh and edgy, while the Rapid has a jaded look.

Plus, the price difference is actually only Rs. 40K since the Polo TSI edition is available for 7.89 lakhs and there may even be room to pit the two Chennai dealers against each other to garner further discounts?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th June 2020 at 20:02.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 22:07   #248
BHPian

Quote:
All advice appreciated.
Here is my perspective, Rapid Rider is a superb package for the given price. If i'm in your place, i would go for rapid without a thought. Here is my reasoning.

1) I'm just 5-10, still felt polo is pretty cramped. Its was hard to adjust for 1.5 hours of city travel. Same with other passenger sitting in the back of the car along with me. Polo size is a deal breaker for me.

2) More bells and whistles that fall in want bucket(not need bucket), more chances of failures in long run. Two assumptions made for this point a) Most of the missing features in rapid are in want bucket. From your post this is evident b) I would like to have the car for more than 5 years.

3) Big car feel and experience. You never know when that big boot and big leg space will come into handy. This is not something we can add as aftermarket accessory.

4) Looks: I really love rapid looks, comparatively its much better than so called decade old timeless designs. But its purely personal choice.

5) Cheaper: The difference of 50k(on road) can be used to buy an excellent leather package from any 3rd party(say stanley?) OR any missing bits as after market accessories.

Though rider is a fantastic package in carbon steel color, i cannot buy this as i'm fixated on mini SUV like kicks or creta, just waiting for right time.

Which ever car you buy, take longest possible warranty + maintenance package. All the best !
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 00:31   #249
BHPian

Quote:
1. Though I haven't test driven, I assume more rear space.
Cons:
Hi ZedMae, i would consider the following points:

1. Take a look at the Rider variant in person and see if it appeals to you as is. Alloys can of course be added to improve things.

2. List down the features you absolutely cannot live without (consider "space" as a feature too), and then see if you can live with either of these cars. Some features can be added, some cannot be added unless you are willing to shell out a whole lot of money. The Rapid packs in a lot of essential and can be used without any modifications. IMHO the only thing that i feel is a big miss is a proper MID, which apparently can be activated just by swapping the combination switch. We have many experienced BHPians like Gannu_1, who know VAG cars inside out and are really helpful. All depends on your local dealer and how willing they are to perform the job.

3. How many people you have in your family and how many prople usually travel in the vehicle. Are others in your family as tall as you and your father? If you are worried about those rare drives where all the people travelling in your vehicle would be around 6 feet, don't bother at all. A ride or two of that sort can easily be managed. The Polo's boot, while as not big as the Rapid's, is not pathetic by any means.

4. If this would be your primary vehicle, or a secondary vehicle.

5. While this cannot be answered without actually having months of hands on experience with the cars, still imagine if you would regret seeing a Polo after getting the Rapid, or vise versa.

6. If you have always wanted to own a vehicle with a specific colour or not. The options for the Rider are limited, however, as someone mentioned in the thread, you can really jazz up a white vehicle.

7. Are you a sedan guy, a hatchback guy, or an "any car that is good and fits my budget" guy? If you have to go to a corporate party, would you mind being seen in a hatchback (even though it's one of the most classy looking in the country)?

Hope this helps. I am in the same boat as you are, and as on date, i want both. Since we do not replace our vehicles often, I simply cannot regret not having certain features which i have always wanted in my following purchase. But do keep in mind, "space" cannot be added to a vehicle. If that is a priority, the Rapid is a no brainer.

In case you are willing to stretch your budget by 1.3 lakhs over the Polo, the VW dealer here confirmed that the Vento Comfortline would soon be available at an offer price of Rs 9.3 lakhs ex-showroom and would come with a lot of features and can be had with a colour of your choice.

Regards
shankha007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:36   #250
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs - Nithesh, 84.monsoon, ramki, shankha007. I will go ahead and TD the Rider and check if the rear occupants find it more comfortable than the Polo. But yes, it is hard to miss out on the lovely 16" alloys and the leather wrapped steering wheel of the Polo.

Thanks guys.
ZedMae is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:55   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
Hi ZedMae, i would consider the following points:

In case you are willing to stretch your budget by 1.3 lakhs over the Polo, the VW dealer here confirmed that the Vento Comfortline would soon be available at an offer price of Rs 9.3 lakhs ex-showroom and would come with a lot of features and can be had with a colour of your choice.

Regards
I am surprised why VW is pricing the Vento so much higher than the Rapid Rider. Some premium is justified, to differentiate the two brands, but charging almost 2 lakhs over the Rider for a variant with more or less similar features and mechanically is exactly the same, (and just as old a design) beats me. They could hav offered the Vento TSI Comfortline at 8.5 lakhs and then between this and Rapid Rider, they could have ruled the market.

All that the Vento Comfortline gets over the Rapid Rider are alloy wheels, leather-wrapped flat bottom steering wheel, cruise control and height-adjustable driver seat - they should be able to comfortably include all these features without hurting margins at an 8.5 lakh price point. It would be perfect value car, at under 10 lakhs on-road. Just change the 2-Din system to a touchscreen unit and you are all set!
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:29   #252
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs - Nithesh, 84.monsoon, ramki, shankha007. I will go ahead and TD the Rider and check if the rear occupants find it more comfortable than the Polo. But yes, it is hard to miss out on the lovely 16" alloys and the leather wrapped steering wheel of the Polo.

Thanks guys.
You can buy and install the Polo alloys, leather or even new skoda steering wheel on Rapid later. But you can't increase the wheel base or rear seat comfort of Polo.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:37   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Now I would like some help in deciding between the two.
All advice appreciated.
I had similar dilemma as well!
1. Rapid is more spacious and less expensive (50K)
2. But at the same time I cant live without steering(leather wrapped) mounted audio controls..which itself will cost around 20k(if the info provided in the forum is correct!)
3. And look at those alloys + touchscreen infotainment + 1 dealership in Chennai, which tilted the balance towards Polo!
4. That said i am only 172 cm tall and mostly ONLY driving with my wife as passenger so i am not worried too much about rear seat and boot space!
But I am not planning to hit dealership any soon, despite frequent calls from SAs, as I am only planning to take the car some time in Mid-August
IntoTheStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 14:08   #254
BHPian

Erm, guys, what's this new cheap looking HU on the new Rapid Monte Carlo? Have they decided to phase out the RCD series?
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-hu-rapid.jpg
Source
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 15:08   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Erm, guys, what's this new cheap looking HU on the new Rapid Monte Carlo? Have they decided to phase out the RCD series?
]
Even skoda website is showing the same ( without the UI) - 20.32cm ŠKODA Android Infotainment System, while lower models get the old 16.51 cm central infotainment system
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks