Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 12:49   #271
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I read about it being available only in the White and Carbon Steel Colors.
Yeah, you are correct. Rapid rider is available in two color options, Candy white and Carbon steel. I had it verified with the sales advisor.

Also page 10 of The Skoda Rapid TSI brochure lists accessory package for Rider Variant and it mentions for these two colors only.
(Brochure available on page 3 of this thread)
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-presentation1.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel_Drives : 19th June 2020 at 12:53. Reason: Removed brochure attachment as already uploaded
Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 00:44   #272
BHPian

Had a look at the online review videos. Found one thing really odd. The inclusion of an Android based head unit, which lacks android auto and apple car play! More so it uses a third party app called Easy Connect for phone mirroring!!

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200620_004028.jpg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-20200620_004048.jpg
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:19   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Had a look at the online review videos. Found one thing really odd. The inclusion of an Android based head unit, which lacks android auto and apple car play! More so it uses a third party app called Easy Connect for phone mirroring!!
I read somewhere that this HU was developed by Skoda Indian engineers. But This seems to be same aftermarket headunit available on aliexpress from many Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers. Most basic spec is available for 7-8k rupees imported, so Skoda India might have got it for a lesser price.

These HUs are not at all OEM grade unless the android software was completely overhauled. But It doesnt look like the software was overhauled by Skoda India looking at UI in initial reviews. Looks to me like very Poor effort by Skoda on this HU. I would anyday take RCD series HU over this.
Comrade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 20:39   #274
BHPian

1. That one rainy day, when you realise that the rear window is not fully closed will haunt you.

2. That busy day, when you park the car on a busy street (and a 2-wheeler rams into the ORVM) and you forgot to manually close the ORVMs will haunt you.

3. No Android Auto or Apple Car Play - can live with it, but a sore miss.

4. Headlamps in India play an important role while driving in the night.

5. A sub-par (someone needs to confirm) 2DIN will not really make the cut either.

All of these above pointers make me wonder if Rider is really aimed at an Urban petrol-head or it is more for the Tier 2 city/taxi service fleet! Will be interesting to see the numbers for Skoda Rapid 1L TST MT in the coming months.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 13:33   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
1. That one rainy day, when you realise that the rear window is not fully closed will haunt you.

2. That busy day, when you park the car on a busy street (and a 2-wheeler rams into the ORVM) and you forgot to manually close the ORVMs will haunt you.

3. No Android Auto or Apple Car Play - can live with it, but a sore miss.

4. Headlamps in India play an important role while driving in the night.

5. A sub-par (someone needs to confirm) 2DIN will not really make the cut either.
In India a lot of base variant donot come with power windows or even a internally adjustable ORVM. Power folding mirrors and even a basic music system is a distant dream. Yes, these are good to have but at this price Skoda has given enough.
PrideRed is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:27   #276
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of these above pointers make me wonder if Rider is really aimed at an Urban petrol-head or it is more for the Tier 2 city/taxi service fleet! Will be interesting to see the numbers for Skoda Rapid 1L TST MT in the coming months.
Of all the cars which we have owned in the past 15yrs or so, my family has always bought the base variant! So i know a thing or two about lack of features, though it never bothered me.

We currently own a 2014 Honda Amaze EX (not the base variant) i-Dtec. For a car which costed 8 lakhs OTR, it doesn't get internal joystick to adjust the ORVM's. To adjust the ORVMs, I have to roll the window down, stretch and move the mirror with my finger! Not to mention no music system & no wheel caps. And these omissions have continued in the latest Amaze as well (see the below video,how sad it looks!).

So when I see the spec sheet on the base spec Rapid Rider, I find it hard to believe so many features have been given as standard for a car costing marginally less than 9 lakhs OTR, Mumbai. We'll certainly consider this car later this year for sure from a value for money perspective.

Last edited by PPS : 21st June 2020 at 20:30.
PPS is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:10   #277
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am too poor for the absense of those features to haunt me. Growing with wind-up windows and manual ORVMs, one has to be flexible and a good contortionist.

Rear window open and it suddenly starts raining? Just slink your arm back and do the job.

The worst is when you start driving and realise that you forgot to open the Left ORVM. Now that's a stretch! This was not a problem with the our older 800 because that didn't even come with a Left ORVM.
avishar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:23   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Of all the cars which we have owned in the past 15yrs or so, my family has always bought the base variant! So i know a thing or two about lack of features, though it never bothered me.
I drive a polo 1.2 MPI trendline, and intend to drive it for the next couple of years at least, or even more. The lack of features does bother me previous car was my father’s 1998 Maruti 800, so been there done that. Have spent considerable amount of time, adjusting the ORVMs - and I suppose that is the last thing one would want to spend too much time on (knowingly?). Half the cab drivers don’t even use their ORVMs for this reason I suppose - which is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I guess I am too poor for the absense of those features to haunt me. Growing with wind-up windows and manual ORVMs, one has to be flexible and a good contortionist.

Rear window open and it suddenly starts raining? Just slink your arm back and do the job.

The worst is when you start driving and realise that you forgot to open the Left ORVM. Now that's a stretch! This was not a problem with the our older 800 because that didn't even come with a Left ORVM.
Wait till you have not realised that the rear window is not fully closed, and you leave the car parked outside, on a rainy day. happened to me! Too bad I suppose. Left ORVM problem happened too - and in the middle of Bangalore traffic, you cannot even stop, once you have started driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
In India a lot of base variant donot come with power windows or even a internally adjustable ORVM. Power folding mirrors and even a basic music system is a distant dream. Yes, these are good to have but at this price Skoda has given enough.
I’d prefer skipping the 2-DIN and instead giving these “comfort” features. As it is, the 2Din won’t impress many I suppose.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:19   #279
Senior - BHPian

I believe Skoda has managed the features well. My only grouse is about the lack of rear window buttons on the driver side panel. Apart from that there isn't anything to complain.

I don't mind manually folding the wing mirrors. The electric adjustments can be more useful compared to the joysticks. You don't have to stretch yourself to adjust the left side mirror.

The inclusion of music system (may not be the best) and ACC makes the car complete, feature-wise. They actually make the car usable out of the box, so to speak, without any tinkering. We can't say that for any other brand's base models in this price range.

Last edited by safari_lover : 22nd June 2020 at 14:24.
safari_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:56   #280
BANNED

Re: 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look

Some people still seem to have a doubt that the Rapid Rider doesnt come with dual airbags, since Skoda doesnt shout about ABS + Airbags + EBD, so here's a video

turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:21   #281
BHPian

My friend got the delivery of the first Rider in Kolkata a couple of weeks back. He upgraded from a Polo 1.2 MPI, and is extremely satisfied with the vehicle.

He has done the following mods;

1. Steering wheel leather wrapping ~ Rs 1k
2. Trunk lip spoiler ~ 8k (from the authorised service station)

Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-received_708745483025663_1.jpeg  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-received_264734198137728_1.jpeg  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-received_194187428589371.jpeg  

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-received_267922304278324.jpeg  

shankha007 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:59   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Too naive to even imagine this hypothetical scenario.

I havent seen a car window left open because the owner knew the window was opened and didn't close because there were no controls upfront.

Lets accept, the window glass remains open(front/rear/driver side/passenger side) due to unintentional carelessness, irrespective of the number of controls you get on the driver panel.

Each door of manual locking Maruti 800 are locked by responsible owners and keyless entry high end cars are left unlocked by irresponsible owners.

Also, does it mean that car owners who don't have TPMS, when they realise they have a flat tyre, not getting TPMS will haunt them?
Grr7 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:13   #283
BHPian

Something really needs to be done to that steering wheel. It screams *Budget Variant* too loudly.

A dash of brushed metal theme stickers should cheer it up.

The rest of it is pretty much manageable apart from the missing power window buttons. How hard would it be to source the doorpad and the buttons from the next higher variant to get it rectified? If not on day 1, it should be possible at a later date, or it may turn out that the owner doesn't miss that feature all that much to even care..
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:33   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Too naive to even imagine this hypothetical scenario.
Not an imaginary scenario - happened to me, more than once. Agreed, it can be thwarted by being “responsible” all the time, but if that’s the case of being idealistic in nature - we don’t even need these features.
Quote:
Also, does it mean that car owners who don't have TPMS, when they realise they have a flat tyre, not getting TPMS will haunt them?
If there’s an option, hell yes. Perhaps that’s why many other posts have called out the same, on different threads however.
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:27   #285
BHPian

Does anyone know about the alloy upgrade options available at Skoda?

The Style variant 16 inch ones look superb (pun intended!) but I don't mind the understated look of the Ambition(15 inches) alloys either.
Also, can anyone confirm the prices for the same?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed