Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2020, 12:54   #316
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- At high revs, vibrations are a constant on the pedals and especially prominent on the clutch pedal.
Quote:
High amount of sounds & (pedal) vibrations at redline. Purist enthusiasts will enjoy it, but your family & average Joe most definitely won't.
Thanks for the quick review GTO. Didn't experience the constant pedal vibrations at high revs when I test drove the Polo 1.0 TSI.

Is it probably this particular car or is it only in Rapid. Did anyone test drive both Polo and Rapid 1.0 and experienced this in both?
bipinbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:06   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Short review for anyone looking at buying it.
- Terrible + cheap + buggy Alibaba-sourced Chinese head-unit. Was difficult to connect via Bluetooth, songs would play with gaps in them and the max volume is too low.
The above coupled with the funky upholstery in Monte Carlo Variant will be a huge turn off for many looking to buy the top variant. And from the looks of it, the same Chinese head unit will adorn the Style variant as well. If i am not wrong it neither supports android auto or apple carplay while the head unit in lower variants does.

Would be interesting to see for how many customers will this be a deal breaker while considering the top two variants.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:52   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
If i am not wrong it neither supports android auto or apple carplay while the head unit in lower variants does.
None of the variants come equipped with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto functionality as far as I know. The Rider has a very ordinary unit as it is. The Ambition probably has the same unit as Style/Onyx/MC?

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th June 2020 at 14:06. Reason: Typo
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 14:03   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
None of the variants come equipped with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto functionality as far as I know. The Rider has a very ordinary unit as it is. The Ambition probably has the same unit as Style/Onyx/MC?

From the brochure it appears that rider has basic 2 din display audio while onyx and ambition have a smaller touch screen display whose graphics are awfully similar to that of CarPlay. SOURCE - Official brochure.
The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1593246755.826078.jpgThe Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1593246804.975676.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th June 2020 at 14:07. Reason: Quoted post edited
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 14:10   #320
KPR
BANNED

Waiting for the urban/real time FE figures. I expect it to be higher than a 4 pot abarth (or not).
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 15:36   #321
BHPian

I finally took delivery of my Rapid Rider 2 days back, or rather I would say Home Delivery. As I had mentioned before the only add-on, for now, is the Alloy Wheel from ambition variant. I know it might look to be aged, but I find them very classy.

Delivery Day:

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_20200625_114343.jpg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_20200625_114929.jpg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_20200625_114936.jpg

The ODO was resting at a reasonable 35 km.
Headed straight to Shell that's near my house, and thought of going on a short drive to Lonavala.

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_20200625_140503.jpg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-img_20200625_140520.jpg

This car is just amazing! I'm totally loving it. Amazing mid and top range. You will have to get used to the low end, which is dud and expected from turbo Petrol! Cross the 2500 rpm mark and you'll be wishing to be on a race track to throw it at every corner! Even as GTO mentioned, there are vibrations even while driving, clearly felt in the Steering wheel and Clutch, but I sort of like it this way, gives very direct feedback from the road. Suspensions are very matured. I'm planning to take it to slow till the next 1000 km, to start understanding and connecting with the car. This would be an apt run-in as well. I hope to come up with an ownership thread soon.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:12   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
And from the looks of it, the same Chinese head unit will adorn the Style variant as well. If i am not wrong it neither supports android auto or apple carplay while the head unit in lower variants does.
Would be interesting to see for how many customers will this be a deal breaker while considering the top two variants.
Can't recall the YouTube video, but in one of the walk around videos, I was seeing the head unit in the upper variants.
Looked as if someone slapped a generic Android tablet on the dashboard.

If the touchscreen system doesn't support Android auto/Carplay, then the Rider head unit is far better, in form as well as in function.

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-screenshot_20200627161454.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
I finally took delivery of my Rapid Rider 2 days back, or rather I would say Home Delivery. As I had mentioned before the only add-on, for now, is the Alloy Wheel from ambition variant. I know it might look to be aged, but I find them very classy.
Congratulations!!!
Me too love the Ambition alloys (Matona?).
Gives a classy feel. Infact the only addition I would care for
on the Rider variant is the alloys. Rest, it's pretty loaded for a base variant at such a mouth watering price.
Wish you lots of happy kilometres.

Last edited by DicKy : 27th June 2020 at 16:19.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:16   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Can't recall the YouTube video, but in one of the walk around videos, I was seeing the head unit in the upper variants.
Looked as if someone slapped a generic Android tablet on the dashboard.

If the touchscreen system doesn't support Android auto/Carplay, then the Rider head unit is far better, in form as well as in function.
It was Autocar review i guess where they were testing the Monte Carlo edition. The upholstery combined with head unit was looking outright garish. As shared earlier, ambition and onyx editions seem to have the best unit of the lot.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:35   #324
BHPian

Looks like there are three HUs on offer.

Base Rider has non touchscreen one.

Onyx and ambition seem to have 6.5" RCD-340G supporting android auto and apple car play.

Style and Monte Carlo have cheap chinese android HU. Seem to have got short end of the stick.
Comrade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 18:06   #325
BHPian

I test drove the Style variant and It had RCD 340 HU which is the same present in my old 1.6MPI Style as well. As far as I know, The new Head unit only comes in Monte carlo variant. RCD 340 is fantastic HU and has carplay and Android Auto.
gasinveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:15   #326
BHPian

Test drove it today and it seemed to have a weak in gear acceleration. I am talking weak compared to my Seltos D 1.5 and I could be wrong but the car's engine was warm and everything was at peak working condition.

The sales guy said this does 0-100 in 10secs but me trying to overtake that truck took ages.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:37   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Test drove it today and it seemed to have a weak in gear acceleration. I am talking weak compared to my Seltos D 1.5

Driving style.
Diesels generate power in their mid range, petrols near their redline.

If you drive it like a diesel, and upshift at 3000-3500 rpm, obviously it will feel slow.
turbo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 20:25   #328

Hi BHPians,
This is my first post in the forum and I am very happy and glad that it is about booking the new Skoda Rapid Onyx in Lapiz Blue color .
Booked it on the 20th of June at TAFE ACCESS HSR.
I am excited and awaiting to have the blue beauty soon in my hands!!
The car has already arrived and today I did a PDI in their stock yard. Tried to follow the PDI checklist from the forum as much as I could.
Now I need help from the Tyre Guru's in the forum about a decision which I need to take. The stock Onyx model comes with MRF ZVTV 195/55 R16 tyres. Now are these good tyres to keep them as first set of tyres. I am looking at performance/ road grip as priority over absolute comfort.
I also have in mind to immediately exchange and upgrade to 205/55 R16 either Michelin p4st or MRF perfinza. The steering in Rapid felt lighter for me and lacked good feedback/ feel of connected to road. Will upgrading to 205s help in this regard?
I am currently a happy owner of Punto MJD and the lovely hydraulic steering has spoilt me for the absolute feel I get while driving.
Requesting the experts to guide me in taking the right decision.
Cheers!
flASHTer83 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 21:07   #329
Senior - BHPian

Test drove one today. I cannot remember the last time I smiled so much after a test drive. I am more of a sport bike and superbike oriented person so nothing really excites me in our car market this side of 30 lakhs performance wise which is why I don't own a car despite my driving license validity expiring soon.

On idle I couldn't even notice any vibrations, I almost asked the guy if we were in the correct TD car as they had last year's TD car alongside aswell. The engine was so smooth for a 3 cylinder, very minimal turbo lag at lower rpm range, the clutch neither Tata hard nor Hyundai light, just in the middle. I didn't expect to fit my 6 foot 3 heavy frame in the driver seat but I did although even with the seat pushed back and the steering column raised I did bump my knee cap on the wheel at times.

Sat at the back on the way back to gauge comfort for passengers. The headroom is pretty tight for my height. Not a centimeter more. The armrest was fair although I did miss the cupholders. The one on the rear ac vent will do though. The front driver armrest was also decent for my height. I am in the market now for a midsize SUV for my ageing yet tall father who would prefer walking into the car than bending and crawling inside like I did. I enjoy low center of gravity as much as the next guy for cornering stability and other benefits but the ingress and egress was a chore for someone of my height(that is more my build issue than the car's fault)

With the front seat pushed all the way back for my height only a 5 footer would be able to squeeze in right behind me. You can squeeze in 3 people in the back but the car is built for 4 to be at ease.

Even with 3 people in the car the performance was more than enough to satisfy my sense of speed at freeway speeds. The car builds up speed and has decent brake bite to come to an emergency stop. Overall I'd rate the car an 8/10. It has everything I need save for the outdated dash layout, the hard plastics, the abysmal infotainment system.

Seems Skoda sells their topend infotainment system for 60k, the boring Ambition alloys for 50k. Sounds like a ripoff to me. If Skoda weren't so touchy with aftermarket parts and were more accomodating like my local Hyundai dealer(honestly he gave me a list of top end Creta parts he can source for me and told me Hyundai has no issues with it), this would easily be my top pick and I would happily overlook the ingress egress issues and outdated interiors considering the price difference of 3 lakhs between them which could very well go into sourcing aftermarket parts and pimping my ride.
Nithesh_M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 21:42   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flASHTer83 View Post
Hi BHPians,
This is my first post in the forum and I am very happy and glad that it is about booking the new Skoda Rapid Onyx in Lapiz Blue color
Congrats! What was the OTR price? Guess ONYX has some discounts going, in BLR?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed