Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2020, 08:56   #16
BHPian

re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Would the Indian spec Karoq get the varioflex seats?That I think is one of the biggest USPs of the Karoq which it's predecessor the yeti too had.The version displayed at the auto expo seems to have a 60:40 foldable seats but not the varioflex ones.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Would the Indian spec Karoq get the varioflex seats?That I think is one of the biggest USPs of the Karoq which it's predecessor the yeti too had.The version displayed at the auto expo seems to have a 60:40 foldable seats but not the varioflex ones.
Very interesting concept

The one at Auto Expo had sliding rear seats. I tried those. But not sure about the rest of the features.
piyush1.a is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 09:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Karoq @ Auto Expo 2020

Im not so sure about the pricing of the Karoq. The Kodiaq is well over 40 lakhs on road in most cities in India. And if the Karoq needs to compete with the Compass, it has to be around 23-28 lakhs on road. So how will a car that inherently shares quite a bit with Kodiaq end up being 10-12 lakhs cheaper in spite of it being imported or even when its made in India? Or is the Karoq not an offspring of the Kodiaq and a different model and hence can be priced cheaper?

The Octavia is a clear leader in its segment, owing to its size, features but not the Karoq for sure. Its neither got the size and nor the presence of even the Compass.

Last edited by motorworks : 9th February 2020 at 09:36.
Old 9th February 2020, 10:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Im not so sure about the pricing of the Karoq. The Kodiaq is well over 40 lakhs on road in most cities in India. And if the Karoq needs to compete with the Compass, it has to be around 23-28 lakhs on road. So how will a car that inherently shares quite a bit with Kodiaq end up being 10-12 lakhs cheaper in spite of it being imported or even when its made in India? Or is the Karoq not an offspring of the Kodiaq and a different model and hence can be priced cheaper?
Not sure 23-28 on road will happen. I think on road will be more like 30-33 depending on city.

It shares a lot with Kodiaq but also has a lot of things missing vis a vis:

- No AWD
- Smaller 1.5L TSI engine
- Older DQ200 7 speed gearbox vs the latest DQ500 and DQ381 in Kodiaq.
- No independent rear suspension just simple torsion beam
- No 3rd row seating
- No electric tailgate
- No auto park assist
- No triple zone climate control

Net Net all the above should result in a much lower price by 7-8L if not more.

Personally after seeing the car at the Expo, it should be 28-29L max on road which is same as the outgoing Octavia L&K. The Octavia is older but has the lustier 1.8L engine, more space and a few more features like Canton audio etc. The Karoq is way smaller than the Octavia.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 10:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Karoq has to cost less than 30 lakhs on-road and that's the correct price.
Kodiaq is longer(about 40 cm more than Karoq), wider, taller. It has an extra row of seats, has AWD, independent rear suspension etc and is diesel (current version).
Anything more than 30 lakhs on-road (for the top end model in Bangalore), it gets closer to Tiguan territory, which is again a much larger and capable vehicle.

Edit: After posting, I saw Vid6639 has listed comprehensive list of differences.

Last edited by Guna : 9th February 2020 at 10:19.
Old 10th February 2020, 19:30   #21
BHPian

I think Koraq will compete in a small niche brand category in which currently there is only one vehicle , that is Jeep Compass. It is of similar size and its brand value also falls in similar bracket. So I think it's price will also be near to compass price , a little above Korean and Chinese products and a little below Europeans .
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 21:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Will the Karoq be offered with a manual at some point? It would bring the price down and be a bit more reliable
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:52   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Will the Karoq be offered with a manual at some point? It would bring the price down and be a bit more reliable
I really don't think they will get the manual even at a later point. For a premium vehicle and going by the demands of buyers, 99% want an automatic.

Skoda have probably played smart to get the 1.5L TSI and 2 WD variant of the Karoq to keep costs down. It also gets the simpler torsion beam suspension at the rear which is again a lower cost solution.

There is only one challenge the Karoq will face. While it will have all the premium features of the other Skoda's like Kodiaq and Superb, the Karoq is a really small crossover in dimensions and the presence is really not there for a SUV.

Size wise the Karoq is much smaller than the Tiguan and even smaller than the Jeep Compass. It is in between the Seltos and the Compass in length and looks like it as well. In terms of presence, Compass and Seltos have a little more aggressive street cred vs the suave and gentler looking Karoq.

Depending on how they price it, this could decide it's fortunes. As a comparison the Compass 1.4L 2WD Turbo petrol Limited plus AT is 21.7L ex showroom and the outgoing Tucson 2.0L 2WD is 23.7L ex showroom, my expectation is it will be 23-24L ex showroom which will mean on road price of 28-30L. Anything more is going to be a hard sell.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There is only one challenge the Karoq will face. While it will have all the premium features of the other Skoda's like Kodiaq and Superb, the Karoq is a really small crossover in dimensions and the presence is really not there for a SUV.

As a comparison the Compass 1.4L 2WD Turbo petrol Limited plus AT is 21.7L ex showroom and the outgoing Tucson 2.0L 2WD is 23.7L ex showroom, my expectation is it will be 23-24L ex showroom which will mean on road price of 28-30L. Anything more is going to be a hard sell.
How does it compare to the CBU T-Roc which it seems VW have priced at a 'competitive' 20L. I added the quotes because in January 2016, I bought my then top variant Octavia TSI 1.8AT Style Plus for 20.15L Ex-showroom. Now, far smaller crossovers have easily reached that price range :-(

Visually, the T-Roc is more of a 'crossover-coupe' rather than a 'crossover-SUV' like the Karoq. Both have exactly the same engine, tranny and suspension if I recollect correctly.

Found this: Autocar UK reviews of 10 best crossover-hatchbacks:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/b...ver-hatchbacks

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd February 2020 at 10:25.
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:08   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How does it compare to the CBU T-Roc which it seems VW have priced at a 'competitive' 20L. I added the quotes because in January 2016, I bought my then top variant Octavia TSI 1.8AT Style Plus for 20.15L Ex-showroom. Now, far smaller crossovers have easily reached that price range :-(

Visually, the T-Roc is more of a 'crossover-coupe' rather than a 'crossover-SUV' like the Karoq. Both have exactly the same engine, tranny and suspension if I recollect correctly.
The T-roc is even smaller than the Creta! The length is 4234mm of T-roc vs 4315 of Seltos and 4270mm of Creta.
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:32   #26
BHPian

Don't go just by numbers. Whatcar UK, CarWow, TopGear all rave about the Karoq as a top top mid sized family SUV ideal for urban usage. Of course it is not a butch, off-road SUV.

Let's wait till we see it in person and TD it before bucketing it.
Old 16th March 2020, 15:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Karoq bookings are now open in India, with the booking amount set at Rs 50,000 and deliveries set to commence in May
The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-fb_img_15843528196856300.jpg
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-launch-416569
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:54   #28
BHPian

I got a message from Skoda Dealer Raipur regarding the same. I'm really looking forward to the car as it looks like a proper Jeep Compass competitor, TBH the Asian crossovers present in the market didn't appeal to me in the way Jeep Compass did, however the only weak link for the Compass was it's multiair petrol heart (We already have a diesel highway cruiser in form of Rapid DSG so in search of a petrol). Let's see how the new 1.5 TSI fares, going by the VAG TSi history, I hope it will be a gem of an engine.

P.S. Skoda if you are listening, then be aware that Indians love their diesels, so please don't play Petrol only strategy at least with Superb and Kodiaq.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th March 2020 at 08:41. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. STRICTLY no acronyms please.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Karoq for India:

- 1.5 L TSI engine

- Panoramic Sunroof

- 9 Airbags

- Virtual cockpit

-Electrically adjustable Driver's seat

- All LED Headlamps

- LED rear lights

- Beige leather upholstery

-LED Ambient lighting

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-12.png

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-k2.png

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-k3.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th March 2020 at 19:57.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 21:44   #30
BHPian

Bookings have started! Going to book mine tomorrow!

Edit: booking amount is 50,000

Last edited by reppy : 16th March 2020 at 21:46.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed