Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2020, 19:58   #196
BHPian

Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

May be its the success of Octavia VRS which did the damage. When the 250 nos got allocated pretty soon, their confidence would have shot up like anything.

If people again blindly invest their money in this, (and there are lot of people with tonnes of excess money in India), the dream of middle income groups to own awesome cars will remain with Marutis and Hyundais forever.

Last edited by petrol_power : 27th May 2020 at 20:00.
petrol_power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 20:04   #197
Senior - BHPian

To be fair, the price is high because it's a CBU. I'd wait for the locally assembled models of the Karoq - there will almost certainly be a price correction then. I guess the real thorn in the Karoq's side is the T-Roc, which is also a CBU but seems to be a much better deal.

I'm hoping the locally assembled T-Roc is then going to be a mouthwatering deal!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 20:24   #198
Senior - BHPian

They look a bit silly with their pricing if these two are essentially the same cars.

Name:  Skoda.JPG
Views: 3060
Size:  39.1 KB

And that engine seems to be a troubled one,I hope its fixed in the India versions.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ght-for-owners
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 20:43   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As the only car, I'd buy the Compass or Seltos over the Karoq:
Lovely Picture with Beautiful car and background.

Few days back, I read somewhere in the forum that Top-end Polo costs ~12 L on road. So this is not surprising. What's up with the pricing these days, guys? It seems to me that only our homegrown Tata and Mahindra are pricing their products competitively, rest apart from few exceptions (Triber et al), all the launches in the last 3-4 years are overpriced.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2020 at 10:22. Reason: Please do not quote picture / video URL in your quoted post. Thanks.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 20:58   #200
BHPian

The reason I feel Skoda has priced in such a way is to avoid cannibalization of the Octavia brand as they might be preparing to introduce the new updated car later this Year or early next year. Also they might want to drive the perception that the SUV is some thing more than a sedan.

Nothing else explain such a ridiculous pricing. If they were to price it in the 20 lakh range, the Octavia will die a sudden death. Even the Superb might get impacted by an attractive price tag for Karoq.
Old 27th May 2020, 21:03   #201
BHPian

Absolutely shocking indeed. This is the Yeti situation all over again.

The economy has taken a massive hit, and for such prices, people would no doubt would start flocking towards the used car market, unless the car in question is really special. The Compass available within the price range has a much better engine, suspension, looks etc, and since it's not a CBD and has sold quite well, will be better to maintain due to better availability of parts, and that's what matters most for the Indian market.

No doubt this will go the way of the X-Trail and old CR-V....years from now, some lucky chap will get it at a rock-bottom price; will become a cult classic.

Was gonna say that you'd get not-so-old 520ds or Q5s for lesser prices; but this thing is so overpriced, you could get brand new X1s for lower price in some states!

What Skoda did was decrease the price of a car in a slowing segment and overprice a car in a booming segment. Atleast the vRS had some aspirational value of a road-hugging 2.0 TSI beast.

Was honestly expecting Gurpratap Boparai to pull off another Compass with this one.....all hopes of Skoda fighting off Kia rests on the Vision IN. Will most probably cost more than Seltos GTX.
GipsyDanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 21:21   #202
BHPian

32 L OTR for a 1.5 Petrol DSG. Boy oh boy, am I mighty glad did not wait long but instead went for a Jeep Compass AT early this year, despite being a Skoda fan based on my faithful Rapid. The price can't be fathomed at all, CBU justification notwithstanding. In fact that can be another negative, if VAG keep price of spares also in Euro equivalents. Disappointed. Except for 9 airbags, nothing that commands a premium of over 3-4L over a Ltd plus Compass petrol AT.
anoop cheeran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 21:37   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They look a bit silly with their pricing if these two are essentially the same cars.

Attachment 2011173

And that engine seems to be a troubled one,I hope its fixed in the India versions.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ght-for-owners
That's new, A Skoda costing more than the VW counterpart instead of the other way round. I thought Skoda had more "brand presence" in India for higher segments than Volkswagen; especially when the Superb outsold the Passat quite significantly. Imagine if the Rapid was priced at 15L on launch!
Old 27th May 2020, 21:37   #204
BHPian

A bit surprised with the pricing, but wouldn't call it outrageous. I think everyone expected the pricing to be about 22-23 L, so it's definitely off by 2-3 L. That said I do feel this is a much better product than the TROC, which is a size smaller and the interiors seems to be inferior. It doesn't justify the 5L jump, maybe about a 3L jump would have been apt.
Also, I wouldn't really compare this to the Kia Seltos. They are two totally different segments ! Last time I checked the Seltos range runs from 9.5-17.5 L and you would have to pay about 18L on road (not sure on this) to get 6 airbags.
This pricing though definitely gives Hyundai a smile for the soon to be launched facelifted Tucson. I think currently that's the pick of the bunch (and would remain hopefully post the facelift) on the VFM tag.

Last edited by kartavya : 27th May 2020 at 21:40.
Old 27th May 2020, 22:18   #205
BHPian

Where does this leave the pricing of the new Octavia when it comes to our shores. More than Karoq as it is likely to be more feature-rich? That would be another pricing disaster.
Old 27th May 2020, 23:12   #206
BHPian

Comparisons abound with the Octavia, but we need to acknowledge that the model sold till March 2020 was the last generation with phased out (BS4) engines and Europe already getting the 4th generation Octavia.

Whereas the Karoq is contemporary in all respects globally as on date and expected to be so for the near future too. This carries a premium just like phase out models carry discounts.

Incidentally the SEL variant (which I assume our trim level is closest too) retails in the UK for around 25K
Old 28th May 2020, 01:56   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Lovely Picture with Beautiful car and background.

Few days back, I read somewhere in the forum that Top-end Polo costs ~12 L on road. So this is not surprising. What's up with the pricing these days, guys? It seems to me that only our homegrown Tata and Mahindra are pricing their products competitively, rest apart from few exceptions (Triber et al), all the launches in the last 3-4 years are overpriced.
Ford as well. Their products are very well priced,.mostly.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 08:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
To be fair, the price is high because it's a CBU. I'd wait for the locally assembled models of the Karoq - there will almost certainly be a price correction then. I guess the real thorn in the Karoq's side is the T-Roc, which is also a CBU but seems to be a much better deal.

I'm hoping the locally assembled T-Roc is then going to be a mouthwatering deal!
I doubt they will locally assemble the T-Roc or the Karoq. These models have been brought in without the extensive and expensive homologation process, under the recently allowed import quota for CBUs.

Also the new SUVs to be locally manufactured under the Vision-IN plan ( the Taigun and Kamiq) will overlap the T-Roc and Karoq in size, features and power trains. If anything the Taigun is expected to be larger than the T-Roc. Both these upcoming cars will get the same 1.5 TSI and Auto boxes (TC not DSG) in the higher trims. The price ranges are expected to be between 10 and 15 lakhs, with the lower variants getting the 1.0 TSI plus six speed manual (as in the recently launched BSVI Polo) and the higher variants getting the 1.5 TSI plus a 6-speed TC auto. At that point the only differentiator of the Karoq/T-Roc twins will be the DSG box, which is anyway the infamously unreliable DQ200 box (as pointed out by our moderators), so not sure that is an advantage!

So, the the number of customers opting for the niche T-Roc and Karoq after the Vision-IN launches is likely to be minuscule and I would not be surprised if these imported models are discontinued at that point. Until then, they will keep VW and Skoda well positioned in market perception as makers of fresh and fashionable SUVs high on features and content.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th May 2020 at 08:21.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 08:19   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I doubt they will locally assemble the T-Roc or the Karoq. These models have been brought in without the extensive and expensive homologation process, under the recently allowed import quota for CBUs.

So the the number of customers opting for the niche T-Roc and Karoq is likely to be minuscule and I would not be surprised if these imported models are discontinued at that point.
Heartily agree. Notwithstanding media statements made by the honchos, these are common marketing strategies to bring in limited stocks of desirable products only to replace them with 'Indianized' versions.

Both the T-Roc & Karoq will be quietly discontinued once the IN versions are ready.
Old 28th May 2020, 09:31   #210
BHPian

I, for one was really keen on the Karoq but this pricing has now put me in a major dilemma. The much bigger CR-V is just 3 lac more than Karoq now and now seems better value for money. Cr-V misses out on a few of the goodies I guess, but not sure if they're deal breakers (no memory function for seats, smaller infotainment system,). But the CR-V has significantly more space, slightly more grunt (154 bhp vs 148 bhp) and much better street presence.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed