Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 17:03   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

I saw the Karoq recently and I was not at all impressed by it. The so called 520L boot of the Karoq is only just 375L in reality.
The measurements are as below:

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-img_20200607_123538__01__01.jpg

The actual boot capacity below the parcel shelf comes out as
((50+80)/2 x 53 x 100 )/1000= 344.5 L. There are two niches on the sides of around 15 L each so total comes to around 375 L , which is drastically far from the claimed 520 L of the Karoq!

The boot number being claimed includes the spare wheel and the space wasted under the spare wheel cover!
Behemoth is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:24   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I saw the Karoq recently and I was not at all impressed by it. The so called 520L boot of the Karoq is only just 375L in reality.
The measurements are as below:

Attachment 2014775

The actual boot capacity below the parcel shelf comes out as
((50+80)/2 x 53 x 100 )/1000= 344.5 L. There are two niches on the sides of around 15 L each so total comes to around 375 L , which is drastically far from the claimed 520 L of the Karoq!

The boot number being claimed includes the spare wheel and the space wasted under the spare wheel cover!
Won't this be true for all SUVs and Hatchbacks which have this kind of boot arrangement? The actual (available) capacity will be less than the quoted number. Surely, it's not Karoq alone which will have this anomaly.

Last edited by Peregrine : 8th June 2020 at 17:24. Reason: fixed typo
Peregrine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

I like what i saw till now. Good car for sure, looks simple still stunning. Good SUV stance and looks very upmarket. It will be good buy after 3-5 years in second hand car market for sure. May be around 12-15 Lacs? I will be keeping eye on this and will add in my watch list for sure.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 18:03   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Won't this be true for all SUVs and Hatchbacks which have this kind of boot arrangement? The actual (available) capacity will be less than the quoted number. Surely, it's not Karoq alone which will have this anomaly.
No not really and I have shared the actual boot measurements in the "Measuring your actual boot capacity" thread. It really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even between models from the same brand too! A case in example is the Hyundai venue which has a claimed 360L boot and the actual is very close to it. While the Creta (Earlier gen) claimed 440L and actual was 320L ! The only real test is when you put luggage in and realize that there is not as much space as claimed! ( Which is what I realized when I compared my Skoda Laura's boot space to my Jeep Compass's. )
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 00:40   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Pricey ŠKODA Karoq in Magic Black :

Attachment 2014064

Attachment 2014065

Attachment 2014066

Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
This belongs to a close friend of mine, who took delivery on June 3rd. Perhaps the first one delivered in the country.

Hi All, So here goes my first ever words in Team BHP. I Have been a follower of Team BHP for a very long time. But recently only I finally decided to create a profile !

So this particular Black Karoq was delivered to my father on the 3rd of June 2020. As my friend Xaos636 pointed out, apparently this was the first Karoq delivery in the country as per our Skoda Dealer. My father was on the lookout for a new companion for his retired life since his 2010 Honda City was showing signs of age .Our major requirement was a car that was easy to drive (preferably with an automatic transmission), very well built with good safety features and preferably a car with good ground clearance.

Our budget was around 25 lakh rupees. We had test driven the Seltos DCT and Jeep Compass AT. We even booked a Seltos GTX DCT but due to some mess up by the dealer we had cancelled the booking. The Compass didn't impress us much too. That was when Skoda announced the arrival of Karoq and VW announced T-Roc. So we waited for these cars. From Day 1 my dad wasn't a fan of one particular element of the T-Roc's styling, the square shaped LED DRL was an eyesore to him. So he had his eyes on the Karoq.

Since I already own a 2017 Octavia vRS and I was happy with the Skoda service support in our city Trivandrum, I persuaded him to go for the Karoq and bring the second Skoda home. And I had booked him a black Karoq online on the same day Skoda opened their online bookings. But all our dreams got shattered after a month when Skoda announced the price of 24.99 Lakhs. That too just after its cousin the T-Roc was launched for 19.99 lakhs.

We were initially expecting Skoda to price the Karoq a lakh or two more than the T-Roc. That was when I saw posts on Team-BHP of a Black Karoq spotted on the way to showroom. The roads looked like the one in Trivandrum and I called up the dealer in Trivandrum to see if the car had arrived. They said yes 2 cars had come, one a Test Drive car and other is a customer car. And upon enquiry we found out that the black car was the car that we booked. The showroom was nearby and we went to check out the car (and also with a plan to cancel our booking).

But once we saw the car in person we were super impressed by the build quality and the interiors. Once you get inside it definitely feels like a much expensive car. After a test drive the car exceeded our expectations and we had second thoughts about cancelling. At that point we even thought to check out T-Roc since it felt like a better value , even though my dad was not much interested in it. But after a friend of mine saw the T Roc in person and sent me few photos and videos, I was really disappointed by the quality of the interiors of the T-Roc. Even my friend who owns a Polo GT TSi said his Polo's interiors felt better than T-Roc. So with that sorted out we decided to think about the Karoq again.

The feel good factor and the sense of luxury inside the Karoq was way ahead of any other car we tested. Since I understood that my dad was madly in love with the Karoq, we didn't look any further, we went to the showroom and made the balance payment. Our car was already waiting there right in front of us all this time. Within 2 days all the other procedures like temporary registration etc was done and on June 3rd the black beauty joined our family. After around 6 days of driving around the Karoq I am very much impressed. A perfectly well made all rounder I must say.

All smiles ! Welcoming the new member to the family.
The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-tbhp-upload1.jpg

Dad's new Black beauty with my vRS.
The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-tbhp-upload2.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2020 at 17:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Mr.Perera is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 00:58   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to your dad and your family, wish you millions of safe kms on your car. The car indeed is a stunner and if only skoda had priced it right, maybe at 21.99, it would have taken away a lot of t-roc customers from VW dealership to Skoda.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 01:14   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congratulations to your dad and your family, wish you millions of safe kms on your car. The car indeed is a stunner and if only skoda had priced it right, maybe at 21.99, it would have taken away a lot of t-roc customers from VW dealership to Skoda.
Thanks AtheK. Yes even I wish Skoda had priced it a bit cheaper. I am eagerly waiting to see a T-Roc in person and make a comparison between the two. But from the photos and videos I saw, looks like the Skoda scores higher when it comes to overall space, quality of materials used, soft touch plastics, the super comfortable seats and the extra 3 airbags.
Mr.Perera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:30   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Perera View Post
Thanks AtheK. Yes even I wish Skoda had priced it a bit cheaper. I am eagerly waiting to see a T-Roc in person and make a comparison between the two. But from the photos and videos I saw, looks like the Skoda scores higher when it comes to overall space, quality of materials used, soft touch plastics, the super comfortable seats and the extra 3 airbags.
Congrats on a great purchase. I essentially did everything the same like you - Booked the Karoq - Saw the price - Decided to cancel - Saw the T-Roc - Seltos - Went back to The Karoq and trying to convince myself to buy it (which I probably will). Just 1 question - how's the mileage and the rear suspension on the car considering its a torsion beam ?
prasadathani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 14:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadathani View Post
Congrats on a great purchase. I essentially did everything the same like you - Booked the Karoq - Saw the price - Decided to cancel - Saw the T-Roc - Seltos - Went back to The Karoq and trying to convince myself to buy it (which I probably will). Just 1 question - how's the mileage and the rear suspension on the car considering its a torsion beam ?
Hi Prasadathani,

I can clearly understand what you are going through currently ! Once you see the Karoq in person then you will really like everything about it. Coming to the mileage part I cant comment much because I think it will take sometime for the engine to settle down to its actual FE numbers. The best I saw in the MID was 13.5 kmpl on a very relaxed highway drive. Else it hovers around 8-10 kmpl range. Im hoping it will increase to a better figure in the coming days. Regarding the rear suspension, the car does feels pretty stiff and planted at all times, but the rear passengers does get unsettled at times on broken roads and do complain about some lateral movement. But on smooth tarmac the rear is a very comfortable place to be.

Something that is bothering me was the gearbox. I wish it came with the DQ250 rather than the DQ200. They are definitely charging a premium for the Karoq, but seem to have skimped on the gearbox part. The DQ200 does feel a bit hesitant to shift at times. I noticed it a few times. Like when you want to do a sudden overtake and plant the throttle, there is a bit of confusion regarding what to do. The DQ250 in my vRS is so perfect and I end up comparing both. But I hope an ECU and TCU Tune might solve that issue

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2020 at 17:47. Reason: Hello Mr. Perera, how do you do? Please split large texts to paragraphs for better readability. Thank you. :)
Mr.Perera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 16:24   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Something that is bothering me was the gearbox. I wish it came with the DQ250 rather than the DQ200. They are definitely charging a premium for the Karoq, but seem to have skimped on the gearbox part. The DQ200 does feel a bit hesitant to shift at times. I noticed it a few times. Like when you want to do a sudden overtake and plant the throttle, there is a bit of confusion regarding what to do. The DQ250 in my vRS is so perfect and I end up comparing both. But I hope an ECU and TCU Tune might solve that issue
At the onset heartiest congratulations on the new acquisition. Looks Super(b)!

With regards to the infamous DQ200, reliability issues apart, performance wise it is not bad at all. In fact I am pretty happy with its performance on the 1.8L Tsi Octavia. No complaints on DQ200's performance as such. In your case you are comparing your 2.0L , 230 Bhp, 350 Nm Beast with a 1.5L, 148 Bhp mill, so there is bound to be a vast difference & more so with your style of driving

Just out of curiosity, what would be the cost of ECU+TCU remap? Also won't it cause the torque to exceed 250Nm and cause excessive clutch plates wear & tear and more importantly affect the vehicle warranty ?
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:40   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
At the onset heartiest congratulations on the new acquisition. Looks Super(b)!

With regards to the infamous DQ200, reliability issues apart, performance wise it is not bad at all. In fact I am pretty happy with its performance on the 1.8L Tsi Octavia. No complaints on DQ200's performance as such. In your case you are comparing your 2.0L , 230 Bhp, 350 Nm Beast with a 1.5L, 148 Bhp mill, so there is bound to be a vast difference & more so with your style of driving

Just out of curiosity, what would be the cost of ECU+TCU remap? Also won't it cause the torque to exceed 250Nm and cause excessive clutch plates wear & tear and more importantly affect the vehicle warranty ?
Thanks Timothy ! Regarding the gearbox, like you said its unfair to compare both the vRS and the Karoq. But at the same time I am just comparing the way the gearbox behaves. Like in D mode if I do an overtake there is a delay in shifting to a lower gear and even if it does when it reaches close to redline, it takes some time to shift to the next gear. I have driven other GT TSi's with the same gearbox but havent faced this with them. Also when I shift to manual mode, normally after few seconds of coasting the gearbox usually switches to D mode, but in the Karoq it still holds on to manual mode for a longer duration ! I need to spend more time with the car and understand exactly where the missing link is. The 1.5L 150 bhp engine is a cracker of an engine. After 3k rpm it becomes lively and it does have a good grunt. But I felt some missing link between the engine and the gearbox. Regarding the cost of remap I am not sure about the exact rates since it varies from vehicle to vehicle. It normally starts around 20k. Also a TCU remap will increase the 250Nm torque limit of the DSG so that it can handle the extra torque from the tuned ECU. I know few people with Stage 2 tuned GT TSi's and 1.8 TSi's and none of them have faced any issue with the gearbox. And coming to warranty, well that an issue, they may or may not void the warranty, my 1.5 TDCi Ecosport and the vRS has been remapped and till now haven't faced any issue with warranty. They haven't noticed it to be specific. Just befriend a service advisor, thats my trick. Whenever I take my car to the ASC, I call the specific SA in advance and get the work done through them.
Mr.Perera is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:51   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So this particular Black Karoq was delivered to my father on the 3rd of June 2020.
Congratulations! Looks great in black. It looks significantly larger than the VRS, maybe it is the angle of the camera.

A silly question - Could you compare power/acceleration to the VRS in percentage terms. If VRS was a 100, where would the Karoq be - 60? 50?

I know it is subjective, but just curious on your take, as you have driven both.
Old 9th June 2020, 21:09   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Congratulations! Looks great in black. It looks significantly larger than the VRS, maybe it is the angle of the camera.

A silly question - Could you compare power/acceleration to the VRS in percentage terms. If VRS was a 100, where would the Karoq be - 60? 50?

I know it is subjective, but just curious on your take, as you have driven both.
Hi. Here is a side by side photo of the vRS and the Karoq. I had dechrome'd the Karoq's grill and it looks much better now.

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-img_20200609_1111332.jpg

Also regarding the power, well it is really unfair to compare them in that respect. The vRS has an explosive power and a great braking setup to accompany that. The karoq is much more relaxed and has a linear power delivery. According to official Skoda figures the vRS does 0-100 in around 6.6 seconds, while the Karoq does around 10 seconds.
Mr.Perera is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 21:27   #254
BHPian

Quote:

We were initially expecting Skoda to price the Karoq a lakh or two more than the T-Roc. That was when I saw posts on Team-BHP of a Black Karoq spotted on the way to showroom. The roads looked like the one in Trivandrum and I called up the dealer in Trivandrum to see if the car had arrived. They said yes 2 cars had come, one a Test Drive car and other is a customer car. And upon enquiry we found out that the black car was the car that we booked. The showroom was nearby and we went to check out the car (and also with a plan to cancel our booking).
Congratulations Mr.Perera for the Skoda Karoq. The car looks stunning in black color and seems to be well proportionate than the T-Roc which seems more like a hatch derived.

In fact, I was one posted the pics of Skoda Karoq in Tvm. Glad to see it ended up with a bhpian. Small world isn't it.
northstar* is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 22:16   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
Congratulations Mr.Perera for the Skoda Karoq. The car looks stunning in black color and seems to be well proportionate than the T-Roc which seems more like a hatch derived.

In fact, I was one posted the pics of Skoda Karoq in Tvm. Glad to see it ended up with a bhpian. Small world isn't it.
Thanks Northstar. Small world Indeed !
Well the funny part is that the Skoda showroom people are searching for you. The pic was taken before the official launch of the car I suppose. And infact the same day you posted these I called up the Skoda showroom and asked if the car had arrived. They said no and official launch is after few days then only the display car will arrive ! I said dont lie to me I have proof that the car has reached Trivandrum But once they knew that I was the one who made the booking they asked me to come see the car. When I went there they asked me how I knew the car had come, I told them someone had posted in Team-BHP. They told me thats why suddenly they are getting so many enquiries about the Karoq. They told me they are not supposed to display the car before the official launch. (dont know whats the logic behind that) . They were like "the car was driven hardly a kilometer from the service to the showroom when someone took pic and made it viral ! "
Mr.Perera is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks