Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 01:17   #256
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Perera View Post
Thanks Northstar. Small world Indeed !
They were like "the car was driven hardly a kilometer from the service to the showroom when someone took pic and made it viral ! "
That day, the car was unloaded from the trailer right before the Malayalam Skoda service center on the main road. The driver decided to drive it through the flyover (Kochuveli fly over) took a u-turn and went back to the service center. I was driving in the opposite direction, saw the car, and followed it out of sheer curiosity. The driver, from his facial expression, was so annoyed when he saw my friend clicking. There was a traffic jam that time made things easy.
northstar* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:21   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prasadathani,

I can clearly understand what you are going through currently ! Once you see the Karoq in person then you will really like everything about it. Coming to the mileage part I cant comment much because I think it will take sometime for the engine to settle down to its actual FE numbers. The best I saw in the MID was 13.5 kmpl on a very relaxed highway drive. Else it hovers around 8-10 kmpl range. Im hoping it will increase to a better figure in the coming days. Regarding the rear suspension, the car does feels pretty stiff and planted at all times, but the rear passengers does get unsettled at times on broken roads and do complain about some lateral movement. But on smooth tarmac the rear is a very comfortable place to be.

Something that is bothering me was the gearbox. I wish it came with the DQ250 rather than the DQ200. They are definitely charging a premium for the Karoq, but seem to have skimped on the gearbox part. The DQ200 does feel a bit hesitant to shift at times. I noticed it a few times. Like when you want to do a sudden overtake and plant the throttle, there is a bit of confusion regarding what to do. The DQ250 in my vRS is so perfect and I end up comparing both. But I hope an ECU and TCU Tune might solve that issue
Please do let me know in case you end up tuning the ECU. IT might help me as well. I also read that 250nm of torque is the highest the DQ 200 can take. 250 would have been a welcome addition.
Old 10th June 2020, 15:22   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Here is a side by side photo of the vRS and the Karoq. I had dechrome'd the Karoq's grill and it looks much better now.
Congratulations Mr.Perera on your new Karoq. Both the cars look stunning side by side. And you have both the cars in their best looking shades i would say. Karoq in my opinion has a proper SUV stance if you compare it with T-Roc. Even though the car is on an expensive side, I would never call it a bad buy!
Old 11th June 2020, 07:29   #259
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has skimped on transmission DQ200 instead of DQ250.
DQ200 cannot handle higher torque and severely limits any remap potential.
1.4 Litre Turbo Petrol in Creta and Seltos makes almost identical 140 bhp and 240 nm, compared to 150 BHP and 250 Nm and cost much less.

Cabin Size is also more or less same.

Not sure why anyone should buy a Karoq ?

Because Skoda is bringing it in CBU format and doing us a great favor ?

If Skoda were serious, it should have given a detuned 2.0 TSI and DQ250 for an asking price of 24.99 L Ex-showroom.

I am starting to envy Vidyut and others, who picked up BS4 Skoda Kodiaq at great prices.

Last edited by F150 : 11th June 2020 at 07:59.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:17   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
1.4 Litre Turbo Petrol in Creta and Seltos makes almost identical 140 bhp and 240 nm, compared to 150 BHP and 250 Nm and cost much less.

In the Petrol space, I feel the 1.5 TSI is the right engine choice for the Karoq, and I think internationally this engine is available either with the 7-speed DSG or manual guise.

The CBU price is indeed a notch high, but if I am in the market for a car in this segment, Karoq will be a serious contender. Not that the Creta or Seltos is bad, but as alternate options (to Karoq) I will look at the Compass or the T-Roc.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:30   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In the Petrol space, I feel the 1.5 TSI is the right engine choice for the Karoq, and I think internationally this engine is available either with the 7-speed DSG or manual guise.

The CBU price is indeed a notch high, but if I am in the market for a car in this segment, Karoq will be a serious contender. Not that the Creta or Seltos is bad, but as alternate options (to Karoq) I will look at the Compass or the T-Roc.
I am not against 1.5 TSI. It is also available in a higher tune of 190 PS. Why not 190 PS for the price.

At the risk of repeating what others have already stated, Jeep Compass is looking really attractive all of a sudden.

T-ROC doens't excite me, it looks like a 6th gen polo on stilts. No offence intended to T-ROC owners.

Last edited by F150 : 11th June 2020 at 08:49.
Old 11th June 2020, 09:56   #262
anb
BHPian

Quote:
I am not against 1.5 TSI. It is also available in a higher tune of 190 PS. Why not 190 PS for the price.
T-ROC doens't excite me, it looks like a 6th gen polo on stilts. No offence intended to T-ROC owners.
Torque limitations of DQ200 may be the reason for not going for the 190 ps tune.
Old 11th June 2020, 10:57   #263
BHPian

I am in the market for such a car and was really excited about Karoq. But the version introduced here is over priced and has less features. for eg, it misses the biggest selling point for Karoq...varioflex seats. Not to mention dynamic suspension in the fully loaded trim overseas.

I agree with you on engine being sufficient, but paying such a premium over already over priced t-roc for just the superior interior quality of plastics & some cosmetics upgrades seems quite a damper.

Quote:

Old 11th June 2020, 11:38   #264
BHPian

Quote:

I have the same view, and after lot of internal debate (in my head) , have decided to go ahead with Karoq. I think it's got the right combination of premium feel, classy looks, great features and decent engine. I already have a Skoda at home, and have had really good experience (Skoda Rapid TDI DSG). Put down my money, and now looking forward to getting the car in a couple of days
Peregrine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:37   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
That day, the car was unloaded from the trailer right before the Malayalam Skoda service center on the main road. The driver decided to drive it through the flyover (Kochuveli fly over) took a u-turn and went back to the service center. I was driving in the opposite direction, saw the car, and followed it out of sheer curiosity. The driver, from his facial expression, was so annoyed when he saw my friend clicking. There was a traffic jam that time made things easy.
But the good thing about that was I got to know our car had arrived and got to see the car in person much earlier. Me and my dad were having a very difficult time waiting for more than a month to see the car in flesh. Thanks a lot for that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadathani View Post
Please do let me know in case you end up tuning the ECU. IT might help me as well. I also read that 250nm of torque is the highest the DQ 200 can take. 250 would have been a welcome addition.
Sure. Incase if I go for a remap I will update you. Also as per my understanding the 250 Nm torque limit is an electronically limited value. A TCU remap from TVS increases that limit to 350Nm. Most GTi's , GT TSi's and 1.8 TSi's which has the DQ200 do a TCU tune along with an ECU tune for this specific reason. So that the gearbox can handle the extra torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Congratulations Mr.Perera on your new Karoq. Both the cars look stunning side by side. And you have both the cars in their best looking shades i would say. Karoq in my opinion has a proper SUV stance if you compare it with T-Roc. Even though the car is on an expensive side, I would never call it a bad buy!
Thanks a lot KamilHaris. Definitely not a bad buy. The car oozes premium quality everywhere. Definitely a great product from Skoda.

Quote:

If Skoda were serious, it should have given a detuned 2.0 TSI and DQ250 for an asking price of 24.99 L Ex-showroom.

I am starting to envy Vidyut and others, who picked up BS4 Skoda Kodiaq at great prices.
Hi F150. I see the Karoq as a mini Kodiaq in all respect. Only thing is Karoq isnt as big, doesnt have a third row and has few less features. Even the interiors are so similar. Having extensively driven the Seltos and Karoq, I feel the Karoq is definitely way better built and more premium and is definitely a segment higher than the Seltos. Also inside the Karoq feels more spacious than the Seltos, eventhough the outside dimensions are similar. Coming to the engine & gearbox like you said I wish Skoda brought the DQ250 instead of the DQ200. But the 1.5L engine is not slow in any respect. For such a small car 150 bhp feels fast ! Considering the fact that the bigger Kodiaq also came with a 150bhp figure.

Quote:

Like I said the Karoq is definitely a segment higher than the Seltos/Creta. It is evident the moment you step inside the Karoq after driving the Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have the same view, and after lot of internal debate (in my head) , have decided to go ahead with Karoq. I think it's got the right combination of premium feel, classy looks, great features and decent engine. I already have a Skoda at home, and have had really good experience (Skoda Rapid TDI DSG). Put down my money, and now looking forward to getting the car in a couple of days
Great Choice Peregrine ! I too went through the same confusions initially. But after owning the car for more than a week now, I definitely feel it is a great buy. It feels way premium than any other car in that price range.
Mr.Perera is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 17:39   #266
BHPian

Quote:

Great Choice Peregrine ! I too went through the same confusions initially. But after owning the car for more than a week now, I definitely feel it is a great buy. It feels way premium than any other car in that price range.
Since you are one of the first to get this on the forum, not now but perhaps in a month or so when the new car vibe fades a bit, could you fill in on how your comfortable are the back row seats for elder people and long drives.

I was hoping for varioflex seats as they can be reclined a little as well. Look forward to your review.
Old 11th June 2020, 18:36   #267
BHPian

Quote:

Having driven the Creta & Seltos, I don't think you can compare it with the Karoq which is definitely notch or two better than the Korean siblings. The interiors of the Karoq seem to be pretty similar to the recently discontinued Octavia L&K version and that speaks a lot for its quality and the luxury quotient. Check out all 3 and you will realise for yourself how much better the Karoq feels. Sure, it is overpriced by 2-3 L, but if you can overcome that hurdle it is an excellent vehicle !
Test drive one and you will see how good their tsi engines are and the DQ200 is actually quite a fantastic gearbox and its reliability has also improved tremendously.
Timothy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 18:52   #268
BHPian

The Karoq is definitely better than Celtos/ Creta but is it worth that 9-10 lakh premium over the Korean duo (In Bengaluru), I don't think so. And it's not like Skoda is a Maruti when it comes to their service as well. Maybe as lot of people have said, if it came closer to 25lakh on road than ex-showroom, then I would have seen it to be vfm.
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:28   #269
BANNED

Only if they had launched it with 1.8 or 2-litre engine options then their asking price would be very reasonable but with 1.5 it's on steep side, not too many German options available regardless it would be chosen by those who prefer quality, it's like an affordable Audi Q3.
Old 14th June 2020, 21:44   #270
BHPian

Congrats Mr. Perera and family !, The post looked familiar, the car looked familiar (from the photos which I saw on whatsapp) and finally the faces also looked very very familiar , thats when I realized that you are on Team BHP now. Was privy to all the news from your brother and felt happy for the fact that uncle was the first person to own the Karoq in Tvm. Congrats once again, and we will catch up once am at Trivandrum, post all the lockdown blues to take a real look at the car.

Quote:
Hi All, So here goes my first ever words in Team BHP. I Have been a follower of Team BHP for a very long time. But recently only I finally decided to create a profile !

So this particular Black Karoq was delivered to my father on the 3rd of June 2020. As my friend Xaos636 pointed out, apparently this was the first Karoq delivery in the country as per our Skoda Dealer. My father was on the lookout for a new companion for his retired life since his 2010 Honda City was showing signs of age .
shinuak is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed