Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:50   #391
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
For the Auto wiper to work, the stalk has to be in 'Int' position. The 4 settings (via the wheel on the stalk) adjust the sensitivity/response, ie., for the same amount of rain, you can have the wipers respond at different speeds, automatically.

Also, with the stalk in 'Int' position, even the rear wipers are in 'Auto' mode. Hope this helps.
I did try with the stalk in Int position and also changed the speed settings manually, there was no automatic change in the wiper speed with increased rain, it was working at the speed that I had manually set.
kushal.b110 is offline  
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:56   #392
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 135
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

What really irritates me is that manufacturers swap out important stuff like rear independent suspension on a 20 Lakhs+ car and through in gizmos or a sunroof to make it premium.

I simply cant tolerate a torsion beam on a 20 Lakhs car. And neither does the Karoq poses the AWD package to replace the Yeti. So in all there is no replacement for the Yeti.
adneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:39   #393
VRJ
BHPian
 
VRJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Vizag/Hyd
Posts: 122
Thanked: 770 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
What really irritates me is that manufacturers swap out important stuff like rear independent suspension on a 20 Lakhs+ car and through in gizmos or a sunroof to make it premium.

I simply cant tolerate a torsion beam on a 20 Lakhs car. And neither does the Karoq poses the AWD package to replace the Yeti. So in all there is no replacement for the Yeti.
Firstly, there isn't a night and day difference between a multi-link and a torsion beam suspension. There definitely is a difference, but will the general population notice it and importantly, are they willing to pay a premium for this difference? Maybe a few, but not many.

Secondly, any company that is in business follows the trend. They move in whichever direction the wind blows. They do market research and find out what the customer actually wants and what features can be deal breakers, if not present. A panoramic sunroof is THE trend at the moment. It is no longer a luxury feature that you can only get in the luxury segment. It has become an essential feature, without which a car isn't considered premium anymore. The Seltos, arguably, has the better exterior and interior when compared to the Creta, but the Creta outsells it. I feel the panoramic sunroof is a major reason for this (and also the service network).

Finally, imagine a Skoda Karoq with a multi-link suspension and AWD, but with NO panoramic sunroof? Do you think people will go for it? Maybe an enthusiast like you may buy one, but the general public wouldn't. In India, the general public count is much more higher than enthusiasts. So, it is what it is. Maybe when Karoq is made in India via CKD, the L&K variant might come with multi-link and AWD. That's a big maybe. I guess then it will be a replacement to the Yeti.

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 3rd September 2020 at 15:43.
VRJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:07   #394
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 135
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Secondly, any company that is in business follows the trend. They move in whichever direction the wind blows. They do market research and find out what the customer actually wants and what features can be deal breakers, if not present. A panoramic sunroof is THE trend at the moment. It is no longer a luxury feature that you can only get in the luxury segment. It has become an essential feature, without which a car isn't considered premium anymore. The Seltos, arguably, has the better exterior and interior when compared to the Creta, but the Creta outsells it. I feel the panoramic sunroof is a major reason for this (and also the service network).

Finally, imagine a Skoda Karoq with a multi-link suspension and AWD, but with NO panoramic sunroof? Do you think people will go for it? Maybe an enthusiast like you may buy one, but the general public wouldn't. In India, the general public count is much more higher than enthusiasts. So, it is what it is. Maybe when Karoq is made in India via CKD, the L&K variant might come with multi-link and AWD. That's a big maybe. I guess then it will be a replacement to the Yeti.

Cheers!
The biggest thing is obviously the trend that you mentioned and that is the main reason 4 Disc brakes are still a premium offering in India. The more customers indulge in such shameless corner cutting the more the trends prevail.

To answer you about the AWD without the sunroof, I guess the Yeti sold and moreover there has to be something for everyone, just like Kia has done with their trims.

And I don't think the Karoq in its current form isn't even remotely a mass mover, so we should not even talk numbers. Will it sell with a AWD and MultiLink, we wont know unless Skoda brings it. But to make a point the RS line did sell when it was a VFM car didn't it?

Skoda had done the same mistake with the Yeti of not launching the Auto when all the reviews had cried out loud and they have taken the feat a step further with the Karoq.

I really doubt even if we factor in inflation if the prices jacked up by the manufacturers can be justified in its current form!

The Laura TSI was around 12 Lakhs if I recall correctly. Honda City has been shamelessly peddled to a different league all together.
adneo is offline  
Old 6th September 2020, 21:57   #395
BHPian
 
kalyan_hyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 517
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadathani View Post
Please DM me and I can share the SA details if you are interested.
Hi prasadathani, Firstly many congratulations on your car. It looks fabulous.

I was looking to DM you to know more on Karoq for a friend but it looks like your settings do not permit me to reachout to you over a message.
kalyan_hyd is offline  
Old 7th September 2020, 00:50   #396
BHPian
 
AMG1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 71
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

I had the opportunity to look at Karoq yesterday. Was a very brief visit to the showroom.

Few humble points from my side:

1) SUV doesn't look very big but somehow has its own mini-Kodiaq like presence.

2) The boot should have been electric one at this price point. Firstly, its quite heavy to close & secondly this one touches almost 30 big ones! Mostly all direct and indirect rivals in price band feature it.

3) Front Passenger Seat should have been electric.

4) The Digital Instrument panel was good Hi-definition one, but little small in size or font- I felt - could'nt point out the exact issue in my brief time. I definitely preferred the Creta Turbo's semi digital ones.

5) Loved the multiple options for ambient lighting.

5) Interior quality, paint, panel shutlines, panoramic roof and alloys were all very premium and top quality.

6) Personally if I wanted Karoq only, I would wait till the CKD happens and the price drops. Also- 4WD option should've been offered too.

Side Note: Outgoing Octavia petrol with independent rear suspension in petrol, more powerful engine (dont know if its BS6), similar or more features and large boot seems to be a much better value proposition than Karoq.
AMG1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:58   #397
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 10,563 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Skoda Karoq review by CarandBike

Name:  SmartSelect_20200908145753_Chrome.jpg
Views: 3225
Size:  202.6 KB

https://www.carandbike.com/reviews/2...review-2291853
Venkatesh is offline  
Old 15th September 2020, 16:33   #398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi prasadathani, Firstly many congratulations on your car. It looks fabulous.

I was looking to DM you to know more on Karoq for a friend but it looks like your settings do not permit me to reachout to you over a message.
Hey,

Sorry for the delay. Please provide your email address and I will mail you the details.
prasadathani is offline  
Old 15th September 2020, 22:59   #399
BHPian
 
kalyan_hyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 517
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadathani View Post
Please provide your email address and I will mail you the details.
Hi Prasad

You can reach me at kalyancreddy@gmail.com
kalyan_hyd is offline  
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:03   #400
BHPian
 
hemlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Interesting experience. I found a sparingly used Audi Q3 35TDi Quattro (~11K KMs, 1.5 yrs old) in really good condition and was planning to buy it. I've always loved the timeless design of the Q3 and wanted to own one of the big germans.

Took a longish 45 min test drive over all sorts of terrain. The Q3 was good, really sure footed, good power on tap. But, for some reason I felt that the Karoq performed better during my test drive a month or so back. So, I immediately took another test drive of the Karoq right after the Q3. And sure enough the Karoq was a much better car to drive on the following parameters.
1. Karoq felt like it had more linear power delivery to start with, the acceleration was smooth and the car responded to the throttle immediately. The Q3 took a second or two to respond to the throttle but once it did it was a pleasure to drive.
2. The Karoq felt more like a sedan than the Q3 in terms of driving dynamics, cornering and quick darts in and out of traffic
3. The suspension was much better in terms of soaking up the potholes and bad roads. Although the Q3 was much more sure footed on really bad terrain

I don't have much experience with diesels, is #1 above a difference between the petrol and diesel engines ? I'd have expected the Q3 to do better because of the higher torque figures.
The heart really wanted to buy the Q3, but second test drive of the Karoq had me really sold on it.

Would like to hear other thoughts.
hemlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 00:41   #401
BHPian
 
kalyan_hyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 517
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Hi hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
1. Karoq felt like it had more linear power delivery to start with, the acceleration was smooth and the car responded to the throttle immediately. The Q3 took a second or two to respond to the throttle but once it did it was a pleasure to drive.
I used to have a used X1 for 5 years until last year (bought at the 3rd year). And a colleague/ friend has a Q3. Yes, I always could differentiate the power delivery in Q3 Vs X1 and I used to feel that lag. Once it picks up, it just used to take off like anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
3. The suspension was much better in terms of soaking up the potholes and bad roads. Although the Q3 was much more sure footed on really bad terrain
Q3 doesn't have a very stiff suspension but perhaps the one your drove being 18 months old there was a stark diff between that and the Karoq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
I don't have much experience with diesels, is #1 above a difference between the petrol and diesel engines ? I'd have expected the Q3 to do better because of the higher torque figures.
The heart really wanted to buy the Q3, but second test drive of the Karoq had me really sold on it.
I don't think its to do with a Petrol Vs Diesel. I think the specific car engine/ Gearbox tuning etc determines that. I had super pick-up on my Petrol Honda City as well as the Diesel X1. I am guessing you did try the Sport mode on the Q3.

Personally, I think Karoq is a wiser choice than picking up a used Q3, unless its still under company warranty and the same could be extended. I got my X1 just after the warranty expired, though nothing major happened in the 5 years I had it for, reliability/ dependability was always a concern at the back of my mind.

-Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline  
Old 24th September 2020, 11:36   #402
BHPian
 
hemlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

Q3 doesn't have a very stiff suspension but perhaps the one your drove being 18 months old there was a stark diff between that and the Karoq.
Q3 wasn't bad, it was just that Karoq was much better


Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
I don't think its to do with a Petrol Vs Diesel. I think the specific car engine/ Gearbox tuning etc determines that. I had super pick-up on my Petrol Honda City as well as the Diesel X1. I am guessing you did try the Sport mode on the Q3.
I tried all modes on the Q3 including Sport. I understand exactly what you are talking about between the X1 and Q3. I have driven a friend's X1 and thats very close to what the Karoq does, but Q3 was a little disappointing, maybe it was the weight of expectations from the torque figures.
hemlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:06   #403
BHPian
 
Schneller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Delhi / Dhaka
Posts: 120
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
Q3 wasn't bad, it was just that Karoq was much better
Did you book yours? I was enquiring about my carís pending items and just got news from my dealership that skoda has stopped bookings for the Karoq. The same can be seen on their online booking portal as well. The Karoq has been removed as an option while booking cars.

Also, Q3 has little rear space compared to Karoq, it is a great car and i felt it was better than the Q3.
Schneller is offline  
Old 9th October 2020, 18:53   #404
BHPian
 
kalyan_hyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 517
Thanked: 776 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
The Karoq has been removed as an option while booking cars.
This seems to be a thing that Volkswagen and now Skoda seem to repeat. Definitely, Karoq sold close to 300 units only in September and since only about 1000 seem to have been imported. The overall stock might be close to getting over.

However, I am sure they will be available for a few more months with the local dealers just like TRocs are. Color's available may be limited though.

TRocs are still available and aplenty with the local dealers although there was a press notification by Volkswagen that they have run out of stock are stopping the bookings.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline  
Old 9th October 2020, 18:56   #405
BHPian
 
Schneller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Delhi / Dhaka
Posts: 120
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
This seems to be a thing that Volkswagen and now Skoda seem to repeat. Definitely, Karoq sold close to 300 units only in September and since only about 1000 seem to have been imported. The overall stock might be close to getting over.

However, I am sure they will be available for a few more months with the local dealers just like TRocs are. Color's available may be limited though.

TRocs are still available and aplenty with the local dealers although there was a press notification by Volkswagen that they have run out of stock are stopping the bookings.

--Kalyan
IMHO, they arenít wrong at their part, if they receive bookings for 1000 units they should close further bookings. Itís the cancellations that are still available at showrooms. Got a call from a VW dealer in Delhi that they have one available because of a cancellation. Before this, they had straight away refused me.
Schneller is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks