Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 20:56   #406
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Mumbai Karoq dealers are offering 1.5L+ discounts. I got a call from a dealership where I TDed the car. Given the 20% road tax on CBUs here, I didn't pursue.
Old 9th October 2020, 21:13   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Mumbai Karoq dealers are offering 1.5L+ discounts. I got a call from a dealership where I TDed the car. Given the 20% road tax on CBUs here, I didn't pursue.
That road tax is insane. It’s 10% here on New Delhi. I also got a pretty sweet deal over here compared to that. (I was offered similar discounts )
28L for on road Car, Elite insurance, Accesories pack, 4 years maintenance. Wouldn't have bought if Road tax was 20% for sure.
Schneller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 21:37   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
IMHO, they aren’t wrong at their part, if they receive bookings for 1000 units they should close further bookings. It’s the cancellations that are still available at showrooms. Got a call from a VW dealer in Delhi that they have one available because of a cancellation. Before this, they had straight away refused me.
Partly agree with you, but here in Hyderabad between two dealers, there are at least 6 TRocs available.

And I am not just referring to this, in Jan this year, we bought a car for my mother. I had been to all Volkswagen showrooms only to be told nothing is available while at the showroom. And magically once I was back home, the very next day or a few days later something would be available but we had to take a quick decision sometimes even without a Test drive.

--Kalyan
Old 9th October 2020, 21:40   #409
BHPian

Quote:
28L for on road Car, Elite insurance, Accesories pack, 4 years maintenance. Wouldn't have bought if Road tax was 20% for sure.
That's a fantastic price. The Mumbai price is 30L+ just for the car with discounts.

I stayed with my sedan roots and got a Civic for a pretty good price.
Old 9th October 2020, 21:52   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Partly agree with you, but here in Hyderabad between two dealers, there are at least 6 TRocs available.

And I am not just referring to this, in Jan this year, we bought a car for my mother. I had been to all Volkswagen showrooms only to be told nothing is available while at the showroom. And magically once I was back home, the very next day or a few days later something would be available but we had to take a quick decision sometimes even without a Test drive.

--Kalyan
May be off topic to this thread! Has there been any discount on TRoc like Karoq, anywhere?
Old 9th October 2020, 22:38   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
May be off topic to this thread! Has there been any discount on TRoc like Karoq, anywhere?
Haven't heard of any discounts on TRoc. Basic principle, if you choose to get an insurance quote from outside, the dealers usually match it, so once can save around 50k on that. And perhaps another 20-30k thrown in for the festival period. There's always however a Loyalty (for prior Volkswagen/ Skoda customers) and Corporate offer (for recognized corporate employees).

--Kalyan
Old 9th October 2020, 23:12   #412
BHPian

Quote:
--Kalyan
Well i get this. The dealer i bought my Karoq from, Aryaveer Skoda, New Delhi told me that they usually order additional pieces of colours that are either almost sold out or on the verge on the chance of getting customers due to this. Similar thing may have happened with the T-roc. Dealers may have stocked up when they knew it will be gone. Rest, you never know what dealer folk are upto with their practices. As for the the last part being this being experienced by you, it’s always the same, you talk to the Sales Advisor then, you leave. He talks to his GM, the GM whips up a scheme and conveys it through the Salesman.
This point is valid only for premium cars:
If you ever get screwed while buying an expensive car 9/10 it was the GM or the sales head who screwed you. Premium car salesman always want to maintain the best relationships so that when they change their jobs, they can influence you into their current brand. (You are surely to get a personalised message or call from them the moment they change jobs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
That's a fantastic price. The Mumbai price is 30L+ just for the car with discounts.

I stayed with my sedan roots and got a Civic for a pretty good price.
I wouldn’t have bought it for 30+ But, i feel you would’ve bought the Karoq if it was being offered for 28. Congratulations for your new ride. Wishing you many miles on the new baby.
Schneller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 05:14   #413
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn’t have bought it for 30+ But, i feel you would’ve bought the Karoq if it was being offered for 28. Congratulations for your new ride. Wishing you many miles on the new baby.
Would have definitely considered it very seriously at 28 with the extra warranty and maintenance package. It is a brilliant car. Sedan-like handling with SUV-like build. The only thing is that the Skoda service in Mumbai is beyond horrendous (former owner here). The dealership here is worse than the scamsters who call to help unblock debit cards. Tney have tried to scam me out of an aggregate of 1L rupees of warranty repairs, just to meet sales targets. The day my car warranty ended I never went back.

The India CEO is also aware about this - his reply on Twitter was, "Rome wasn't built in a day."
Old 10th October 2020, 12:30   #414
BHPian

Have heard some reviewers saying that its a softer suspension than say a TRoc but what I found from my TD was that its not as soft as a Creta 2020 more like a Seltos and also the suspension bottoms out exactly like the Seltos when driven in potholes.
Old 10th October 2020, 15:26   #415
BHPian

So went to inquire for the Rapid today at Skoda Jaipur and was informed they've stopped Karoq bookings and run out of stock. Was also informed they'll be reopened in January. Does it mean the CKD Karoq is coming earlier than expected?
Old 10th October 2020, 23:00   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
So went to inquire for the Rapid today at Skoda Jaipur and was informed they've stopped Karoq bookings and run out of stock. Was also informed they'll be reopened in January. Does it mean the CKD Karoq is coming earlier than expected?
Probably, not in January but I believe sometime in 2021. Even though the price was high, Skoda managed to sell quite a lot of these cars. Imagine being offered at same at 1.5~3 lakhs lower (On road pricing) it would sell really well.
I don’t expect them to reduce prices by more than 2 lakh though. Although the Karoq was insanely overpriced due to duties and taxes, I believe Skoda did not make much profit this time around and CKD is when Skoda will start making their real money. These 1000 units were a test for the Indian Market. This is what i believe.

Also, with the ES being built in India, even Lexus did less to drop their prices. Also they don’t want to piss off existing customers by a huge reduction. If i see the Karoq at a 5 lakh rupee reduction, i would lose my mind
Old 11th October 2020, 00:00   #417
BHPian

Quote:
I don’t expect them to reduce prices by more than 2 lakh though.
As you rightly said, I don't think they made a lot of profits out of the CBU units but it was a good experiment and now that they've almost run out of stock, that CKD is coming sooner than expected, perhaps. And yes, that is where their money-making plans would be. They may not drop the prices more than what you suggest but I hope/ expect to see multiple variants unlike it was now, perhaps an AWD variant akin to the erstwhile Tiguan.

--Kalyan
Old 11th October 2020, 00:23   #418
BHPian

Quote:
As you rightly said, I don't think they made a lot of profits out of the CBU units but it was a good experiment and now that they've almost run out of stock, that CKD is coming sooner than expected, perhaps. And yes, that is where their money-making plans would be. They may not drop the prices more than what you suggest but I hope/ expect to see multiple variants unlike it was now, perhaps an AWD variant akin to the erstwhile Tiguan.

--Kalyan
Yup, also if it is dropped in this range, I woudnt mind. I got better build quality and no irritating speed warning chime on the car I travel on the WPE expressway in NCR regularly which has 120kmph speed limit. That chime is very irritating for this road.

And yes i would love a 4x4. A few years back, Skoda got the 4x4 karoq and a Kodiaq to India for a commercial in Leh Ladakh. I wish we had gotten the 4x4. Also i hope skoda brings in their new steering wheel design like the one it offers in the new Octavia. The new wheel is offered in The Karoq in a market or two in Europe as well.
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 01:15   #419
BHPian

Quote:
I don’t expect them to reduce prices by more than 2 lakh though. Although the Karoq was insanely overpriced due to duties and taxes, I believe Skoda did not make much profit this time around
Oh there are easy ways around the import duty problem and most car makers manage it. The early CBU S90s were being imported with a sticker price of under 10L. Companies book losses in one division and profits are adjusted for attribution later. The objective obviously is to minimise overall tax outlay. So Skoda won't have bled on the Karoqs. I won't be surprised if they were imported with sticker prices of under 5-6L. This year most companies would have enough losses to adjust steep profits from a few cars too.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 11th October 2020 at 01:18.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 22:44   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Did you book yours? I was enquiring about my car’s pending items and just got news from my dealership that skoda has stopped bookings for the Karoq. The same can be seen on their online booking portal as well. The Karoq has been removed as an option while booking cars.

Also, Q3 has little rear space compared to Karoq, it is a great car and i felt it was better than the Q3.
Yeah, I booked mine and got delivery as well. Got magnetic brown since black wasn't available
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-original_775cefd85dec4e249b2358ce7dd82935_pxl_20201011_070043505.jpg  

hemlock is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed