Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 13:13   #121
BHPian

Default re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

I usually take it upon myself to defend questionable VAG decisions but this pricing is just absurd. I can't think of anyone who will buy this over the Compass unless you really hate the Jeep brand. Particularly when it costs a good 3L more than its direct rival (Longitude Plus Petrol AT).

Pricing a FWD 140HP petrol motor at the exact price as the top spec 2.0 Diesel Compass (4x4 and 170HP) is probably not the kind of segment first Skoda should be going for. This will be a really tough sell even for the limited numbers they're bringing it in.

Last edited by AamodB : 26th May 2020 at 13:17.
AamodB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:14   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
The link seems to be broken but at 25L, this car is way more expensive than what I hoped for. It could be >32L on road here in Bangalore. I can get a well maintained used BMW X1/X3 at around that price. Not meant to compare but 32L is way high in my book for a 140 BHP car. I waited for Karoq for more than a year .
Completely agree with you here. 32Lac for this car seems just too much with respect to its dimensions.
Last year my friend picked up a new X1 at slightly under 35lac in Bengaluru.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:17   #123
BHPian

Much as I love Skoda Cars, but the pricing of 25 Lacs is just too high ! It is easily overpriced by 2.5 L. Also considering that till just a couple of months back the more powerful and the bigger Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K could be had for 23.6 L (ex-showroom) and not to mention the big discounts on it.

Everyone had high expectations, especially after the aggressive pricing of 20L for the T-Roc and if I put a value to the extras in the Karoq of a slightly bigger size, the 3 extra airbags, ambient lighting & a powered drivers seat, it should add up to not more than 2 or max. 2.5 L. what would stop potential customers from stretching by 3.2L and going for the bigger and more powerful Honda CRV. One might even be able to negotiate a big discount on the latter considering the current state of the Auto sector. Skoda raised our hopes with a great pricing for the T Roc but now the reality sets in !
Old 26th May 2020, 13:23   #124
BHPian

Quote:
this car is way more expensive than what I hoped for. It could be >32L on road here in Bangalore. I can get a well maintained used BMW X1/X3 at around that price.
This was on the cards I suppose, being a CBU. 32 big ones for a 1.5 L is quite steepish. Now suddenly petrol Jeep Compass looks value for money. A strongly built 2.0 L, true SUV and a driver's car at 4-5 lakhs lesser.

Even for that matter, an AT diesel Compass Longitude Plus variant 4X4 at ~ 29 lakhs OTR (Bangalore) too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th May 2020 at 13:29. Reason: addendum
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:29   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This was on the cards I suppose, being a CBU. 32 big ones for a 1.5 L is quite steepish. Now suddenly petrol Jeep Compass looks value for money. A strongly built 2.0 L, true SUV and a driver's car at 4-5 lakhs lesser.
I don't like the compass for its cramped interiors. I was hoping for Karoq but it seems now I will have to wait for price reduction by 1) discounts due to low sales and/or 2) local manufacturing instead of CBU.
Old 26th May 2020, 13:33   #126
BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the compass for its cramped interiors. I was hoping for Karoq but it seems now I will have to wait for price reduction by 1) discounts due to low sales and/or 2) local manufacturing instead of CBU.
Option 2 seems a far stretched one. I guess they'll have to sell off the 2500 units and there should be sufficient demand for it to warrant local production. With this exorbitant pricing, downcast economy and negative customer sentiments, one is not sure if that would ever bear fruit. There can't be a worse time than this for Skoda to bring Karoq with this pricing.

Note to Moderators : Time to edit the title of the thread I suppose.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th May 2020 at 13:42.
Old 26th May 2020, 13:38   #127
BHPian

Just configured the Karoq as close to the India spec as I could on the Skoda UK website. Costs roughly GBP 34,500. Quite loaded with features I noticed since almost all options available are specced on the India model.

For comparison, the T-Roc in its India spec (20L ex-showroom) costs GBP 33k in the UK.
Old 26th May 2020, 13:50   #128
BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the compass for its cramped interiors.
In that case I would be surprised if you find Karoq spacious enough. Yes, the lighter coloured interiors can make it look less cramped, but I felt the space a bit cramped than compass (btw, it is sometime since I sat in a compass),
Personally, to me, the Karoq (particularly exterior) looked one size smaller in person than what the pictures conveyed.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 13:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

Would have made more sense to have the 2.0L Tsi at this price point. VW sibling offers better value for money.
Old 26th May 2020, 13:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
The TRoc suddenly seems a very good proposition. 25L ex showroom is about 3L more than it is worth.
It can be considered value for money, only if it is around the 25 lakhs On-road mark.
That means 19.99 Lakhs ex-showroom.
This is overpriced by 5 Lakhs, at least.
Old 26th May 2020, 14:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
In that case I would be surprised if you find Karoq spacious enough. Yes, the lighter coloured interiors can make it look less cramped, but I felt the space a bit cramped than compass (btw, it is sometime since I sat in a compass),
Personally, to me, the Karoq (particularly exterior) looked one size smaller in person than what the pictures conveyed.
Ok this is a bit of a dampner. Are you sure the interior space seemed less than the Compass? I was looking at Karoq as a potential buy, and considering the feature set I was wondering if it's worth paying 30L+ for this. But if the interiors are more cramped than Compass, then i might give this one a pass.
Old 26th May 2020, 14:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Default Skoda Karoq launched at Rs. 24.99 lakh

Skoda has launched the Karoq SUV priced at Rs. 24.99 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-kariq.jpg

The Skoda Karoq comes with LED headlamps that have integrated LED daytime running lights. It has trapezoidal fog lamps that are positioned just below the headlamps. The car has typical Skoda grille with a chrome frame. At the rear, the Karoq comes with wraparound tail lights with Skoda lettering on the tail gate. It also has a dual-tone rear bumper, roof rails and 17-inch dual-tone alloy wheels.

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-karoq1.jpg

On the inside, the Karoq comes with a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel and a digital instrument cluster. It has an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit, 2-zone automatic climate control and an electric sunroof. Other features include 12-way adjustable driver seat with memory function, SmartLink connectivity and cruise control.

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-karoq.png

The Karoq is equipped with a host of safety features including 9 airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist, ESC, hill-start assist and a rear parking camera.

The Karoq is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 148 BHP @ 5,000-6,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-3,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission which drives the front wheels.

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-karo1.png

The Karoq is available in six colour options - Candy White, Magnetic Brown, Lava Blue, Quartz Grey, Brilliant Silver and Magic Black.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 14:10   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
The karoq page on skoda india site seems to be live and currently it shows ex-showroom price as 24.99L
The Karoq will easily cost around 31L OTR in Bangalore which in my opinion is overpriced. Had it been priced well under 30L OTR, the Karoq would attract Jeep compass and T-Roc buyers. The L&K Octavia with all bells and whistles and that sweet TSI engine costed 23.6L ex-showroom.
akshay_b is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 14:17   #134

Default Re: Skoda Karoq launched at Rs. 24.99 lakh

This a well built and good looking car but no matter how you spin it, it is overpriced by at least 2 lakhs. Especially when you consider the fact that you could have bought a fully loaded Octavia for less, which was a bigger and more powerful car.

My friend who had placed a booking told me that he won't be going through with the purchase for the same reason.
oilgascng is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 14:31   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
However would love to see a pricing comparision between 2 similar Troc and Karoq models in Europe.
Here is Finland, the T-ROC Style 1.5TSI DSG costs just under 31000 on-road, whereas the Karoq Style BusinessLine 1.5TSI DSG costs about 36700.

I have just taken the prices of these versions from the website and haven't compared the standard equipment available on each. However, going by previous experiences, I can be reasonably sure that the Karoq will be better equipped than the T-ROC.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed