Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2020, 17:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Seems like a more rounded package than the VW T-Roc. Looks to be taller (over 1600 mm), longer (by almost 150mm) and having higher ground clearance (172mm versus around 160mm on T-Roc).
Very right. Karoq is more a 'SUV style' crossover than the T-Roc which is a 'coupe style' crossover. Hence, the Karoq is far more conventional looking and upright allowing for far more glass area & headroom. The T-Roc looks claustrophobic at the back with that plunging roofline.

See this, I think the reviewer mentions she is 5' 4":

Net net, Karoq seems to be a proper family crossover while the T-Roc will be more for front seat users + kids at the back.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 18:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very right. Karoq is more a 'SUV style' crossover than the T-Roc which is a 'coupe style' crossover.
=====
Net net, Karoq seems to be a proper family crossover while the T-Roc will be more for front seat users + kids at the back.
Agreed. I think simply put the Karoq is an 'SUV' and the T-Roc is a crossover. There's no point comparing the two since they target different audiences.
Old 28th March 2020, 19:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly the 0-100 time quoted by ACI in the video review is more than the VW quoted figure for the T-Roc

Wonder if the Karoq come with the same 1.5 EVO engine as in the T-Roc with the cylinder deactivation technology as well since it never found mention in the review
Old 28th March 2020, 19:31   #49
BANNED

I lost interest in all the Skoda "K***" cars (Kodiaq, Karoq, Kamiq) - they are too similar in style and size (may be 15cm separating them?). Same with all those VW "T***" cars (Tiguan, Taigun, T-Cross, T-Roc, Toureg etc). I am yet to remember which one is priced in what segment. Have they heard about product differentiation?

May be because I am not a prospective buyer in these segments.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th March 2020 at 19:53.
romeomidhun is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 07:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

The car looks very rounded from every which way you look at, and quality would be typical Skoda! The value proposition is definitely higher than the T-Roc and Skoda will indeed price this above it. My hunch is not that higher - around 22L ex-showroom for the top end. Speaking of which, I think there would be more variants. So a starting price of around 19L till 22L would be a good deal!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 08:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I lost interest in all the Skoda "K***" cars (Kodiaq, Karoq, Kamiq) - they are too similar in style and size (may be 15cm separating them?). Same with all those VW "T***" cars (Tiguan, Taigun, T-Cross, T-Roc, Toureg etc). I am yet to remember which one is priced in what segment. Have they heard about product differentiation?

May be because I am not a prospective buyer in these segments.
I think someone high up in the VW group design hierarchy has got it seriously wrong. Audi is losing sales, no small part due to all cars looking, feeling and sounding the same. This has been happening for 3 years now. Why would you want to apply this failed formula all over the family, to VW and Skoda also? If a 15L Rupee car looks similar to a 25L Rupee car which again looks and feels similar to a 40L rupee car, how do you justify purchase? Differences are obvious to us enthusiasts. But how many casual home ministers can pick a Kodiaq out of a group of Karoqs?

Last edited by ajmat : 29th March 2020 at 14:24. Reason: misspelt losing
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
The car looks very rounded from every which way you look at, and quality would be typical Skoda! The value proposition is definitely higher than the T-Roc and Skoda will indeed price this above it. My hunch is not that higher - around 22L ex-showroom for the top end. Speaking of which, I think there would be more variants. So a starting price of around 19L till 22L would be a good deal!
This is one car I am seriously excited for. But I doubt the pricing will be around 22L. I would be very happy if it does but I feel they will price it around 23L or a notch above 22L may be. Also, it will be a CBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I think someone high up in the VW group design hierarchy has got it seriously wrong. Audi is loosing sales, no small part due to all cars looking, feeling and sounding the same. This has been happening for 3 years now. Why would you want to apply this failed formula all over the family, to VW and Skoda also? If a 15L Rupee car looks similar to a 25L Rupee car which again looks and feels similar to a 40L rupee car, how do you justify purchase? Differences are obvious to us enthusiasts. But how many casual home ministers can pick a Kodiaq out of a group of Karoqs?
I dont see this as a bad thing. Skoda is looking at these super lucrative segments where every crossover/SUV product (in each of the sub-40L segment) is placed very close to each other. They can see each segment as a gold mine:

1. Creta: Did well
2. Compass: Did well
3. Seltos: Did well

So Skoda would also want a piece of the cake. So they will scramble to get all their global models and introduce whatever they can as quickly and economically as possible. And Skoda knows these are great products, probably better than Creta and Seltos (and Compass) in more than few ways so they know they have a good chance.

Now if we talk about all cars looking the same, I think we have the same complaint for almost all car brands these days: e.g. BMW, Audi, Mercedes. C-class = E-class = S-class. When they were launched everybody was like "Oh they look the same", but as it turned out people know what they are buying.

In the end I feel everything will trickle down to one's budget. If I have 40L to buy a car I would definitely look at the Kodiaq. It will be a great highway crusier, has a lot of space and comfort to offer, drives pretty well, etc.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th March 2020 at 14:25.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:41   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I doubt the pricing will be around 22L. I would be very happy if it does but I feel they will price it around 23L or a notch above 22L may be.
Autocar mentions a price of 24L - which means they wish to charge a 7-10% premium over the 1.4 top variant of the Jeep Compass.

The VW-Skoda group enjoys putting .99 price tags so anything over 22.99 ex showroom is DOA in my opinion (even 22.99 feels expensive at a 5% premium over the Compass!) - the market is also not conducive now for overpriced cars - something they got away with earlier.
Old 29th March 2020, 11:31   #54
Team-BHP Support

Comparing the Karoq to the T-roc might give a fair idea on the price point that Skoda will look at.

The Karoq and T-roc have identical mechanicals, both have the 1.5L TSI with DQ200 7 speed DSG and are front wheel drive only.

The difference is in size, the Karoq is longer, hence more spacious than the T-roc especially the back seat.

The other difference is in interior quality, the Karoq has soft touch plastics and hence more premium feel.

In terms of features, the only 2 big differences I could find was Karoq has electric front driver seat (passenger is manual) with memory presets but the T-roc is manual seat adjust for both driver and passenger. The second is 9 airbags vs 6 in the VW.

Other than that, both have similar features like panoramic sunroof, virtual dials, dual zone climate control, full LED headlights, front and rear parking sensors, etc...

Going by the differences of slightly bigger size, better interior materials, additional airbags and powered seats, the right price for all of these would be around 1.5~2lakhs. So an ex-showroom of 21.99L is what should be expected. However Skoda could get a little greedy and peg it at 22.99L. Anything more than this and it won't make sense over the T-Roc.

Also note that vs UK spec, the Karoq does have features missing like Canton audio system, powered tail gate, vario flex seating. The seats in Indian Karoq are fixed and not even adjustable for recline let alone sliding.

Somehow personally, this price of 22L ex showroom or even the 20L for T-Roc both of which are kind of small crossovers seems steep. The Harrier AT may not be close to the T-Roc or Karoq in terms of premium feel and luxury but it offers so much more that you don't mind losing out. The T-Roc feels like a hatchback in the rear seat and the Karoq slightly more spacious but don't come close to the Harrier space and comfort levels. That feeling of space and comfort is worth more than the premium quality, personally speaking.

However, if VW or Skoda had plonked in the 2.0L TSI engine with AWD and independent rear suspension, the USP would have been altogether different with a target towards performance oriented enthusiast buyers.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th March 2020 at 12:03. Reason: Typo.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 14:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Looking at these cars I feel that the Tucson is really VFM. It has all the goodies , performance and a relative peace of mind factor. God knows why its not spoken of in the same breath as these overpriced imports
Old 29th March 2020, 14:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Looking at these cars I feel that the Tucson is really VFM. It has all the goodies , performance and a relative peace of mind factor. God knows why its not spoken of in the same breath as these overpriced imports
I guess it all comes down to brand name. Skoda and Jeep do have a more 'SUV' friendly brand image as compared to Hyundai. Plus the Tucson doesn't look as butch as the Compass or the Karoq and the audience for these cars do care about good road presence.
Old 29th March 2020, 16:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
I guess it all comes down to brand name. Skoda and Jeep do have a more 'SUV' friendly brand image as compared to Hyundai. Plus the Tucson doesn't look as butch as the Compass or the Karoq and the audience for these cars do care about good road presence.
Well, not really sure cause Hyundai has been making the Tucson, Terracan, Santa Fe for years and surely they have been high selling 'sub-brands' in their own right. So I believe for some unknown reason HMIL has focused on the Creta from an image building perspective while its elder sibling is much more accomplished in every way. A fully loaded Creta at 20 lac+ vs a fully loaded Tucson at 30 lac with oodles more power, space and hardware (AWD)- what would you pick, money no bar ?
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 17:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I can answer personally. I considered the Tucson and rejected it over Karoq precisely because I didn't want VFM, I wanted better quality. Not everyone wants a VFM vehicle.

Isn't Harrier or Creta more VFM than Tucson?
VPJ74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 18:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you bring Hyundai in to the picture, Creta should be compared to T-Roc/Karoq and the Tucson is a segment above (peers are Honda CRV and the erstwhile Tiguan). But yes, in terms of the pricing, Tucson petrol (2WD) may be closer to the Karoq. Reason why the Hyundai cars are not discussed here is because of the perception that they are not as 'fun to drive' as the Skoda/VW cars.
Old 29th March 2020, 18:14   #60
BHPian

Skoda Karoq would be about 28-29 lac On-Road (Delhi) as per the info, I got from the Skoda SA, on the phone, here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks