Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 22:15   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

I have been reading many post wherein Skoda Karoq is being compared to VW T-Roc given its cheaper by Rs. 5 Lakhs.

Point is both of them are separate model and in different segment.

Most VW cars are shared amongst different brands wherein the underpinning are same.

Technically

Skoda Karoq = VW Tiguan 5 str = Audi Q3

Skoda Kamiq = VW T-Roc = Audi Q2

I would say Skoda Karoq is actually a superb value for money knowing you are getting a Audi Q3 for a fraction of price.

Hope this clears confusion and correct cars are compared against each other.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 22:52   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I have been reading many post wherein Skoda Karoq is being compared to VW T-Roc given its cheaper by Rs. 5 Lakhs.

The comparison stems from the following facts:
1. They share the same engine and transmission.
2. Both are launched around the same time.
3. Both seem to be pitted against each other from different companies of the same parent ie VAG.
4. Both are CBU
5. Both have comparable build quality.
6. Apart from a few differences most of the features are common to both.
I agree that size difference between the two and more comfort features definitely separate the two into different segments and each car should be a standalone entity by itself disregarding the similarities. Ultimately budgetary constraints and brand preferences would be the key deciding factors apart from the close feature differences .
Old 20th July 2020, 23:23   #333
BHPian

Quote:

Most VW cars are shared amongst different brands wherein the underpinning are same.

Technically

I would say Skoda Karoq is actually a superb value for money knowing you are getting a Audi Q3 for a fraction of price.

Though i agree is not a fair comparison between the T-ROC and Karoq, they are indeed direct competitors in european markets. In UK, both start around the same ball park of 25k GBP. The Skoda Kamiq actually competes with the VW T-cross and not the T-ROC.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 00:34   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Technically

No this won't clear the confusion and in fact creates more confusion . Audi Q3 may be dimensionally similar to Karoq but it is a luxury brand where the specs, features and quality would be at a different level. Tiguan is a half size bigger than Karoq. Karoq is a Creta sized SUV. Agreed that it is more refined and desirable and the premium pricing is purely a function of what the potential buyers are willing to pay.

Last edited by Guna : 21st July 2020 at 00:37.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:08   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Technically

This is not quite true.

Following are the dimensions and other key details of of the 5-seater Tiguan:
  • Length = 4486mm, Width = 1839mm, Height = 1672mm
  • Wheelbase = 2677mm
  • Bootspace = 615 Litres
  • Wheel Size - 235 X 55 X 18
  • Fuel Tank = 71 Litres
  • Kerb weight = 1720 KG

Dimensions and details of the Karoq:
  • Length = 4382mm, Width = 1841mm, Height = 1624mm
  • Wheelbase=2638mm
  • Bootspace = 521 Litres
  • Wheel size = 215 X 55 X 17
  • Fuel Tank = 50 Litres
  • Kerb Weight = 1320 KG

As you can see above, in nearly every parameter, Tiguan is a size above the Karoq. The Tiguan is actually equivalent to the 5 seater Kodiaq (not available in India, since only the 7 seater Kodiaq was launched in India). The Tiguan allspace is the exact equivalent of the 7-seater Kodiaq which was available in India.

Skoda and VW have intentionally launched dissimilar products in the lower end of the SUV spectrum below the Tiguan/Kodiaq, so that it is harder to draw exact comparisons and cross-shop. The flexibility of the MQB platform allows them to make vehicles of different wheel base measurements on literally the same production lines using similar tools, dies etc..

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st July 2020 at 10:11.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 14:03   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
No this won't clear the confusion and in fact creates more confusion . .
I think what he means is that the Q3, Tiguan SWB and Karoq have similar WB "2640-2680" with same MQB platform and shared engines and mechanics. My Octavia has some Audi stamped parts inside hell the 1.8TSI was build as a Audi unit initially.

Its not wrong to say then that in a way these cousins have more common stuff inside than say a MINI and 3 Series.
Old 21st July 2020, 14:39   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I think what he means is that the Q3, Tiguan SWB and Karoq have similar WB "2640-2680" with same MQB platform and shared engines and mechanics. My Octavia has some Audi stamped parts inside hell the 1.8TSI was build as a Audi unit initially.

Its not wrong to say then that in a way these cousins have more common stuff inside than say a MINI and 3 Series.
But the Karoq and T-Roc are also mechanically same (T-Roc being slightly shorter in length). Point is, Karoq is closer to the T-Roc in terms of specs than Tiguan, even-though the ambitious pricing and positioning has got it more closer to the Tiguan.
Old 21st July 2020, 14:42   #338
BHPian

Quote:
But the Karoq and T-Roc are also mechanically same (T-Roc being slightly shorter in length). Point is, Karoq is closer to the T-Roc in terms of specs than Tiguan, even-though the ambitious pricing and positioning has got it more closer to the Tiguan.
The Tiguan (if it comes) with a 2.0 TSI might not be priced at 24.99 L ex-showroom however? In that case, does it make sense?
Old 21st July 2020, 21:57   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
The Tiguan (if it comes) with a 2.0 TSI might not be priced at 24.99 L ex-showroom however? In that case, does it make sense?
Autocar India and a couple other outlets report that the Tiguan will come with the same 1.5 TSI engine as in the T-Roc and Karoq so it unfortunately won't get the 190HP 2.0 TSI.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...omeback-417259

The VW SA speculates that the Tiguan won't be priced below 29L ex-showroom. It being the facelift with up-to-date interiors and tech added with the VAG brand hierarchy vis-à-vis Skoda will be the main justification for the 4-5L premium over the Karoq.

Quote:
That's not quite accurate. Mechanically they're identical because of their MQB-ness particularly if you put the same 1.5TSI in all three as they'll be offered in India. The only difference is that the Tiguan gets independent suspension at the rear as standard whereas the other two only get it in the 4WD models.

Further, The Karoq (atleast dimensionally) is closer to the Tiguan than the T-Roc.

Length: The T-Roc (4234mm) is 148mm shorter than the Karoq (4382mm). Whereas the Karoq is 104mm shorter than the Tiguan (4486mm)

Width: The Karoq is wider than the Tiguan by a negligible 2mm (1841mm vs 1839mm) whereas the T-Roc is 22mm less at 1819mm.

Height: The T-Roc is 30mm shorter than the Karoq which is 51 mm shorter than the Tiguan. Height is the only area where the degree of difference is closer between the T-Roc and Karoq.

Wheelbase: The T-Roc's wheelbase (2590mm) is a good 48mm shorter than the Karoq's wheelbase (2638mm) which is shorter than the Tiguan's (2677mm) by 39mm.

Ground Clearance : Probably the biggest contributor to the SUV-ness. The UK spec T-Roc (161mm) is a considerable 22mm lower than the Karoq (183mm). The Tiguan's GC however is only 8mm more than the Karoq's

On the pricing front, the current Karoq pricing in India can be attributed more to it being a CBU whereas the Tiguan will be locally produced if and when it is launched. So it's difficult to make an apples to apples comparison. From all my research the Karoq is positioned more as a cut-price Tiguan than a direct rival to the T-Roc. The Karoq however, is indeed priced closer to the T-Roc internationally.

In all, these models (including the T-Cross and Kamiq) are differentiated (internationally) by half a segment between them so there's no real point pitting them against each other in India.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by AamodB : 21st July 2020 at 21:58.
AamodB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:57   #340
BHPian

The Karoq is closer to the Tiguan than it is to the T Roc in terms of dimensions and space inside. Also, the feature list and interiors take it very close to the Q3, if not better in some areas (9 airbags).
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:09   #341
BHPian

The Skoda dealer we're dealing with (Aryaveer Motors, New Delhi) finally lived up to Skoda's reputation of substandard dealership behaviour. I was told by the SA that he's arranged a car early that's he's taken from someone else's booking because they have a finance booking and we don't. I have never heard of a booked car being offered to another customer and was already suspicious that the car in question might have some issues which is why the SA was pushing for a sale. We decided to take a look at it today and noticed that the bonnet and the ORVMs had tons of surface scratches to the paintwork. I was told that all cars have scratches because of the cleaning process after the PDI. The trim on the dashboard also had a couple imperfections but the rest of the car seemed okay on the surface. I couldn't check whether it ran without issues.

I rejected this unit and was told that this was the very last unit they had in Lava Blue. The SA insists that all Lava Blue Karoqs imported have been sold and I have to take this or go for another colour. He even suggested that I take a refund for my booking if I didn't want this unit. We informed him that we'd make the payment in August and he suddenly decided to justify the paint issues and why I should buy it there and then otherwise he'll be selling it to the "other buyer". In a bid to make the sale he goes so far as to apparently call a senior and declare that the car be taken back because we don't want it.

For starters I refuse to believe that all Lava Blue units have been sold within two months of the car's launch when they've reportedly sold 300 cars (of 2500) so far across the country. Secondly I was taken aback at both the SA's behaviour (he'd been pretty helpful up till now) and also the state of the car's paintwork. I've never seen a brand new car with so many scratches before delivery.

The SA has said that he'll tell me if he can get a Lava Blue car on the 1st of August. Let's see how this pans out. Might have to change the choice of colour if the non-availability of Lava Blue does indeed prove true.

Last edited by AamodB : 22nd July 2020 at 16:17.
AamodB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:44   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
For starters I refuse to believe that all Lava Blue units have been sold within two months of the car's launch when they've reportedly sold 300 cars (of 2500) so far across the country.

The SA has said that he'll tell me if he can get a Lava Blue car on the 1st of August. Let's see how this pans out. Might have to change the choice of colour if the non-availability of Lava Blue does indeed prove true.
Skoda didn't bring 2500 Karoq's to India. The 2500 homologation free limit includes VW, Skoda, Audi, Porche and Lamborghini. Of 2500, VW bought in 1000 T-Roc's and Skoda bought in 1000 Karoq's to India as CBU. Which essentially means there are only 700 left for you to choose from.

In my opinion, each dealership will be allocated a certain number of cars per batch of deliveries based on bookings/demand. So, You may have to wait for the next batch to arrive which may or may not have a Lava blue in it. Hope you're lucky on Aug 1st.
gasinveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:52   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
Skoda didn't bring 2500 Karoq's to India. The 2500 homologation free limit includes VW, Skoda, Audi, Porche and Lamborghini. Of 2500
Porsche, Lamborghini and Audi (not sure about Audi though) are not part of the 2500 restriction with Skoda-VW as they are managed independently from the Skoda-VW company in India.

The 2500 units information I have is from both the Skoda and VW SAs. The 2500 for FY2019-20 were the units of the T-Roc (1500) and the Tiguan Allspace (800) as confirmed by Steffen Knapp in an interview with Autocar and 200 units of the Octavia VRS. The 2500 units allowed for FY2020-21 are the Karoq since Skoda doesn't have any other CBUs in the pipeline.

Again all speculative numbers as I don't have confirmed data.

Last edited by AamodB : 22nd July 2020 at 16:56.
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:54   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post

Well, that is strange behavior, indeed. Hope you finally get the car of your choice!
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:29   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
The Karoq is closer to the Tiguan than it is to the T Roc in terms of dimensions and space inside. Also, the feature list and interiors take it very close to the Q3, if not better in some areas (9 airbags).
What next? Kodiak close to Q5, X3.. If you want to really compare apple and oranges, please consider this - Seltos top end has lot of features missing in Q3 and is very close on dimensions too. So should we, start comparing Seltos to Q3. Karoq and T-ROC are fairly compared, no two ways about it. They cater to 2 different segment of buyers. T-roc for young and quirky loving millennial and Karoq for people looking at exclusivity. However, the internals are same. At least most of them
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks