Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 01:58   #361
BHPian

Re: Skoda Karoq : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nice comparison.
7. No drive modes. The Karoq only has a S mode for gearbox. The Kodiaq has steering modes, AC mode, light modes, performance modes as well as off road mode.
Kodiaq has off road drive mode due to AWD system only (which Indian Karoq doesn’t have cause it’s 4x2). So both these points are related. And despite performance mode on Kodiaq, Karoq is faster than Kodiaq (I have already explained this in detail in my above post).
Also Karoq does have a ECO mode which activates automatically based on your driving style (it deactivate 2 cylinders to give you better mileage, due to the ACT technology on the KAROQ). You can see ECO written in the virtual cockpit when it is activated.
And there’s no dynamic dampers or adaptive suspension, so the drive modes you are mentioning are pretty basic and I didn’t even notice any difference whatsoever (all drive modes have only 2 options: Normal& sport). And even something like steering for example doesn’t weigh in sports mode as well (I couldn’t notice any difference). It’s not merc/Audi level drive modes, I thought them more of a gimmick to be honest and they never seem to do anything (even in ECO drive mode on Kodiaq, it was giving under 12kmpl mileage in my testing, although claimed is 16kmpl). So drive mode features are there, but they are ultimately of not much use most of the time as they don’t perform optimally.

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 11th August 2020 at 02:09.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 18:32   #362
BHPian

So I see here many of you are comparing Q3 with Karoq. So I decided to do a real life Comparison myself as my neighbour has Q3 (2017 facelift model, which was on sale till recently before BS6 regulations kicked in).
And Before someone start criticising, I want to make it clear it’s not a drive review or feature comparison, I just want to highlight how much you get with Karoq for 10L less than what Audi was offering in India till recently at a much premium.
I want to clarify here that it’s a Late 2017 Audi Q3 2.0 TDI Quattro (but keep in mind Q3 did come in 1.4 TFSI engine: 150BHP, 250NM: which sold for 35L i.e. 10L extra over the Karoq’s 1.5 TSI EVO engine).
Disclaimer: Surely the upcoming Q3 2020 will be way better than the outgoing Q3 in terms of tech, interior & exteriors & We’ll get the new virtual cockpit, touchscreen infotainment & many more features. But it hasn’t launched yet in India, so I’m comparing it with the one which we got up till now.

Coming Back to the Comparison: In terms of Exterior looks & dimensions, Karoq does look a bit bigger in person when both the cars stand side by side. Also, Karoq has much more boot space & rear seat space (both leg room & width) than the Q3. But I liked certain elements of Q3 styling like dynamic/sweeping indicator light at the rear (SKODA has given it internationally in the Kamiq but surprisingly didn’t give it in its more expensive SUVs like Karoq & Kodiaq). Also, Q3’s coupe like stance make it look unique, sport & attractive from the rear (although it does eat up into rear headroom & rear visibility via the boot glass).
Have a look at both the cars yourself:

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-640863352d2d4c32a6c28f3ee337e86e.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-c8240ba61b7b4132bbed35fe3a0ae2ad.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-abfa01e1760f41b295e215955f0a02de.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-1bbe89ca3bc44d5c8a4f2d5a9dbdcd0c.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-93e8f3246a6e4487978d3fbe93f2a505.jpeg

When we sit inside, you realise that Karoq is a bit spacious than Q3 inside as well. Ambience on both is really good & build quality is solid too (fit & finish is trademark of VAG cars, so no surprises here). Both interiors feel well build, plush & premium with soft touch materials on the dash & door trims.
But Q3 cabin does look outdated and it misses out on many features too like: virtual cockpit (in the model I tested), ambient lights, touchscreen infotainment system, etc.
Side Note: Even the owner of Q3 was surprised after sitting in the Karoq & wondered how SKODA is managing to give such nice interiors, material quality & features in the Karoq for 30L (he paid close to 40L for his car).

I want to highlight here that even Q3 doesn’t get powered tailgate & 3rd zone climate control (I see some people bashing Karoq for not having these features at 25L. Now Audi comes and says, “Hold my Four Rings”). Jokes apart, These two features weren’t available in some variants of GLA as well (let’s hope 2020 GLA in India at least get powered tailgate as standard). But Q3 does get electric front passenger seat (which Karoq misses on).
Also, Karoq is offering 9 airbags with iBuzzer and fatigue alert system with other standard kit (Q3 has just 6 airbags).

Here are the pictures of both interiors (I know I’m not a good photographer, but at least you get an idea):

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-4770542749af4e108ca0f969eaafaee9.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-8e7fdeae2af14a78b55ef4d2b0b0d913.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-01e90afcdb1b451392513546a3391568.jpeg

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-609433c98db747f29466abbf5db7e1da.jpeg

So before dismissing Karoq as overpriced (Especially without sitting in one & based on price to size ratio), think about the Q3. If VAG would have Just slap 4 rings on the current Karoq, suddenly it would have appealed to many as value for money proposition even at 35L (because yes, brand value does matter a tonne, but is it worth 10s of lakhs? It’s you who have to decide).

Also IMO, Karoq is the most value for money Premium 5 seater SUV you can buy currently which offers good balance of size, space, features, safety, comfort & the likes.
Take For example SKODA Kodiaq L&K, which used to sell for 44-45L (15L more expensive than Karoq). It shared most of the parts from Karoq only (read my blogpost above). Kodiaq had some advantages over Karoq like: bigger space, 4x4, some added features like better canton speakers, drive modes, electric tailgate, electric front passenger seats, 3rd zone climate control, ventilated seats & reclining rear seats.
But Kodiaq had major flaws as well like: lower ground clearance than Karoq, poor ride despite independent rear suspension (see KODIAQ ownership thread, many users have complained about the same), underpowered 2.0 TDI engine which made it slower than even Karoq & more body roll (karoq has much better driving dynamics & handling around the corners).
And Apart from these major differences between the two, you are pretty much getting a 5 seater Kodiaq L&K for 15L less. IDK about you, but many including me found Kodiaq to be overpriced. Seeing that Kodiaq offered so less for 15L more, Karoq seems to offer great value.

I hope this comparison helped you guys & you get much better clarity of Karoq’s value proposition as an overall package.

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 11th August 2020 at 18:43.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 21:05   #363
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

The biggest plus point of Karoq over Kodiaq is that it has a more balanced and proportionate design which makes it more appealing . The Kodiaq is more like a estate if you look sidewise. So if you are a small family there is no point paying 15 lakh more for a Kodiaq.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2020 at 21:15. Reason: typo
Sandeep500 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:41   #364
Senior - BHPian

I see your point but it would have been more accurate if the comparison was done with a 2020 Q3.

The main grouse is the engine and great box combo. The engine has mod potential but the gearbox is already at its limit.

250Nm torque figure is at part not exceptional. I would have preferred 300-320Nm.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:16   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth Oomphy View Post
So I see here many of you are comparing Q3 with Karoq. So I decided to do a real life Comparison myself as my neighbour has Q3 (2017 facelift model, which was on sale till recently before BS6 regulations kicked in).
Side Note:... Karoq for 30L (he paid close to 40L for his car).
For 10L more, the Audi Q3 owner got:

- 190BHP, 400NM diesel engine (+5 Lakh?)
- A reliable and quick S-Tronic 7 speed DSG (+2 Lakh?)
- Quattro AWD system (+2 Lakh?)
- Fully independent rear suspension (No torsion beam like in Karoq) (+1 Lakh?)

What he lost out on electronic goodies inside (Virtual cockpit, touchscreen etc), he more than made up in the driving experience. It's great that you think you got a great deal, but don't judge a book just by its cover and dismiss the entire 10L delta down to the Audi badge. Electronics are cheap, which is why 10-15L C-SUVs are offering most of these features today. Engines, Chassis, Platforms and Gearboxes are still expensive and hence command a premium
d3mon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:32   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
For 10L more, the Audi Q3 owner got:

- 190BHP, 400NM diesel engine (+5 Lakh?)
- A reliable and quick S-Tronic 7 speed DSG (+2 Lakh?)
- Quattro AWD system (+2 Lakh?)
- Fully independent rear suspension (No torsion beam like in Karoq) (+1 Lakh?)

What he lost out on electronic goodies inside (Virtual cockpit, touchscreen etc), he more than made up in the driving experience. It's great that you think you got a great deal, but don't judge a book just by its cover and dismiss the entire 10L delta down to the Audi badge. Electronics are cheap, which is why 10-15L C-SUVs are offering most of these features today. Engines, Chassis, Platforms and Gearboxes are still expensive and hence command a premium
Firstly, I’m not judging book by its cover, I have driven Q3 extensively (owner is my neighbour for a long time and a dear friend as well). So I have quite a bit of experience with the car & I have written the earlier post after taking opinion of the Q3 owner himself.
Secondly, I guess You didn’t get my point, He paid 10L extra 3 years ago in 2017 (BS4). If he would have bought it now, then considering inflation rate, increased GST & after BS6 price hike, price difference b/w the 2 cars would have been easily 15L+.
And don’t forget Audi did sold the 1.4TFSI 2 wheel drive version of Q3 for 32.2L ex showroom (same transmission, platform, and outdated engine compared to Karoq) which doesn’t had any of the power or AWD benefits you mentioned above, still it was way expensive (with outdated interiors too) .
And before Q3 was discontinued, the model which I tested: Quattro 35 TDI was selling for 40L+ ex showroom (that’s even more than 15L difference).
Now justify that pricing (Almost 50L on road). I think for 50L, you have much better options (& remember this was BS4 pricing).
Looking at all this, I said that Karoq is waaaay more value for money. Sit inside both of these back to back & drive them, then you’ll know why I’m saying this & how much the difference is for. Because specs on paper is a different thing and experiencing the cars in real life is entirely a different story.
And Yes, you should Wait for Audi’s 2020 model prices, it’ll be through the roof & they will probably omit Quattro (as they’re doing it with all of their models, see the 2020 A6). Most of the 2020 Audi cars are FWD. Plus, some variants of Q2 will have same 1.5 TSI (like Q3 did earlier) and it’ll be 33L+ (& that’s a even smaller car). Then people will realise the value which Troc & Karoq brings to the table.

Till then, have a look at the pricing of Q3 before it got discontinued:

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-fef15d2a7b984c3f97906cc20b2022f5.jpeg

Also, Karoq does come with 4x4, DQ381 (stronic’s in Audi’s are basically renamed DSG of VW/SKODA group, not any faster or better), 2.0 TDI (Again same as VW/SKODA cars) and independent rear suspension in some models abroad.
But SKODA deliberately didn’t bring it in India to keep the price down (because already at 25L, people are going crazy, imagine what would have been the situation if this model sold for 30-32L). Because they know if smaller Q3 is priced that high, people may accept it because of the brand name, but not the Karoq. So they can bring such variants in Q3 (while Karoq gets only 1 variant here).
People here just look at 2 things to justify the price, either price to size ratio or brand name. Many SKODA/VW cars suffer such issues in India due to this mentality (Classic EG: Superb).

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I see your point but it would have been more accurate if the comparison was done with a 2020 Q3.

The main grouse is the engine and great box combo. The engine has mod potential but the gearbox is already at its limit.

250Nm torque figure is at part not exceptional. I would have preferred 300-320Nm.
People bought Kodiaq L&K which was a ₹45L car with 2.0 TDI 150BHP, 340NM torque. That car felt way underpowered than Karoq (even 0-100 and top speeds were slower). Even Audi sold its Q3 FWD in 1.4 TSI (same power & torque as Karoq & same D7speed DSG gearbox) for 32.2L (that too BS6 pricing with outdated interiors).
And wait till this gearbox/engine combo (1.5 TAI & DQ200) comes in the new Octavia & Audi Q2 too (they’ll not come with 2.0 TSI for sure). Then you’ll know what I’m talking about. Older days are gone my friend when you would have got 1.8TSI in Octavia for under 30L. BS6 pricing and increased car rates overtime has made segments shift and prices increase.
Now 2.0 TSI will only be found in cars upwards of 35L (starting with Superb Sportline, which will be the cheapest car with that engine). And if you want this engine in a luxury brand like Audi, be ready to pay upwards of 40L (maybe in upper models of Q3 & A4 & that too will be FWD cars)
See 2020 A6, Audi hasn’t even given Quattro in a ₹60L car now (& no air suspension too) & it has the same 2.0 TSI, just tuned to give 245bhp (like in Octavia RS245), because they had to do something to justify that 60L price & differentiate A6 from A4 (as A4 will have exact same engine as in the current superb). So don’t drool over what we used to get in the past, welcome to VAG 2.0

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2020 at 22:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged; bold fonts formatted
Parth Oomphy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:55   #367
BHPian

Quote:
And before Q3 was discontinued, the model which I tested: Quattro 35 TDI was selling for 40L+ ex showroom (that’s even more than 15L difference).
I think you would be well aware that luxury car prices are more of a suggestion than an actual price? You could get 8-10 lakhs off on the Q3 easy, which would actually bring the Karoq vs Q3 difference down to well under 10L.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4509206 (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)

The point that you are not catching on to is that there is sufficient incremental value in upgrading to a discounted Q3 over a full-price Karoq. I'm sure you paid ~10Lakhs extra for the Karoq over the Seltos for some similar logic, right? Some may say that the Seltos is much better VFM than Karoq (comparable engine, features, drivetrain etc) and you will perhaps disagree vehemently. Different strokes for different people. In any case, you seem happy with your choice and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
d3mon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 18:22   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I think you would be well aware that luxury car prices are more of a suggestion than an actual price? You could get 8-10 lakhs off on the Q3 easy, which would actually bring the Karoq vs Q3 difference down to well under 10L.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4509206 (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)

The point that you are not catching on to is that there is sufficient incremental value in upgrading to a discounted Q3 over a full-price Karoq. I'm sure you paid ~10Lakhs extra for the Karoq over the Seltos for some similar logic, right? Some may say that the Seltos is much better VFM than Karoq (comparable engine, features, drivetrain etc) and you will perhaps disagree vehemently. Different strokes for different people. In any case, you seem happy with your choice and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.
Yes I know about the discounts on premium cars & I did push for discount while buying Karoq too. But the 8-10L discounts you here on Q3 were because they were phasing out the BS4 diesel models and even Audi knew that the car was too outdated to sell in 2019-2020. Getting discount is one’s luck. And many brands give such discounts on old models when new models are going to launch a year later, nothing new (let 2020 Q3 come, then do let me know, which dealer is giving you 5L discount within 5 months of the car’s launch).
I Bought Karoq for 29L on road with 4 years annual maintenance package (managed to get some discount on a newly launched car). So 9 Lakhs over seltos & creta DCT (which doesn’t include 4 years maintenance). Although I didn’t find the Koreans no where near to German cars I tested in any aspect except they had some fancy features like air purifier, connected car tech, wireless charging, etc which were nice to have.
Coming back to Germans, last time I checked, Audi weren’t giving 4 years warranty (you have to pay extra for extended warranty) & their maintenance package were above 1 lakh (as informed by Q3 owner). Considering all this, I don’t think you could have got 35TDI Quattro for 39L on road (with 4 years maintenance) in BS6. Maybe you could get 1.4TFSI for that price, but it’s the same car as Karoq, same engine/gearbox, FWD & it nullifies your whole point about superior package (not the brand name).
None the less, my Dad is super happy with the car (actually this was for him).

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 12th August 2020 at 18:30.
Old 12th August 2020, 19:05   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you could get 1.4TFSI for that price, but it’s the same car as Karoq, same engine/gearbox, FWD & it nullifies your whole point about superior package (not the brand name).
I would disagree. From my personal experience I feel that the Audi packaging (materials, features, driver feedback, build quality, technology, etc.) would be superior in every way compared to a Skoda or VW in the same generation. Only the chassis and powertrain would be same.
I myself own VW Golf Mk7 and a friend owns A3 sedan. Both are having same engine, power, gearbox, chassis and same model year. But still whenever I drive the A3 I feel it’s handling, driver feedback, etc. are more superior compared to my Golf (of course Golf offers more interior & luggage space). Both has cruise control but in Audi, the feature comes with auto braking where if the set speed is exceeded (e.g. in downhill) the brakes will be applied automatically to reduce the speed.

But I agree that the new Karoq would be a better package compared to discontinued Q3 with outdated interiors.

Last edited by gopi_rm : 12th August 2020 at 19:10.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 19:50   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
The biggest plus point of Karoq over Kodiaq is that it has a more balanced and proportionate design which makes it more appealing . The Kodiaq is more like a estate if you look sidewise. So if you are a small family there is no point paying 15 lakh more for a Kodiaq.
You just said it mate. I think same way, Karoq does 90% of what Kodiaq does at much lesser price. I will be looking for one after 3 years in used car market, hope I will get very good deal.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 00:08   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi there, Sorry but I tend to disagree with you on certain points. I have tested the new creta as well as seltos (infact harrier and seltos both are parked besides my Karoq as well because they are of my neighbour who is a dear friend). I have driven his cars a lot and sat in their back seats regularly. Here are my observations:

Karoq has more leg room than new creta & seltos at the rear (and it’s wider at the back, so 3 people can sit more comfortably). We have personally went on a short tripa where 3 adults were seating in the rear of Karoq and they were comfortable. I agree Kodiaq has More space at the rear (obviously it’s dimensions are bigger so it ought to), but what I meant to say was it’s not a huge difference (huge difference means when you compare it with something like XUV 500’s rear seat). Definitely non-reclining rear seats and lack of verioflex system in Indian Karoq is a huge downside
I'm not sure of your height and how you judge rear legroom, but I have reviewed a lot of cars especially for the official reviews on the forum and after sitting in Karoq multiple times, I am very very sure it has less legroom than the Seltos and even Creta cause Creta's rear seat is better than Seltos even.

I think the slightly relaxed seating position in the Kia and Hyundai vs the upright and uncomfortable seating in the Karoq gives you an impression that legroom is more since your legs are straighter in upright posture.

Quote:
Also If you solely look at rear space, even better than Kodiaq will be something like XUV 500 (I personally own one) & Hector (both also have completely flat rear floor as well). Especially XUV is very wide at the back & even 4 adults have sat in the 2nd row and went for a highway trip without any issues (personal experience). Again not comparing it with Kodiaq as such, just telling you solely about the space factor if you want to know that.
Not everyone buys cars based on size and space. If that were the case the Kodiaq and Karoq are pointless as the Tucson is more spacious than Karoq and the Fortuner is more spacious than the Kodiaq.

Quote:
5) One major pro for the Kodiaq: AWD system with independent rear as you said (but everyone knows it’s a soft roader, see it’s approach & departure angles along with its ground clearance). If you want 4x4, better look at Endy/fortune. Karoq does have electronic limited slip differential (LSD), which can help you in wet/sticky roads if you encounter one. But definitely none of the two are off-roaders. Also, Kodiaq has drive modes due to AWD system only (which Indian Karoq doesn’t have cause it’s 4x2). So both these points are related.
What if I want AWD but not the full 4x4 just AWD in some slippery conditions. Why should I opt for a full fledged body on frame SUV and compromise everything when 4x4 is not needed for proper off roading. At the same time it is atleast better than having no AWD system and only FWD with a torsion beam rear suspension.

Quote:
6) there’s a huge disadvantage for Kodiaq due to that huge size and 4x4 system (apart from lower ground clearance). It makes the car heavy and due to taller stance and longer size, Kodiaq is neither as fast/agile as Karoq nor does it have better driving Dynamics. Body roll in Karoq is close to non-existent and it handles great around the corner (which Kodiaq comprises a bit on). Also Kodiaq 2.0 TDI (150bhp, 340nm) does 0-100 in 10.5 seconds (while karoq 1.5 TSI does in 9 seconds). In my testing, I didn’t find Kodiaq to be as fun to drive as Karoq (Kodiaq is begging to get a 2.0 TSI 190 bhp motor found in Tiguan Allspace, as Kodiaq is heavy and 2.0 TDI feels underpowered for it).
I have driven the Kodiaq for the official review + the Scout variant off roading and yes it's heavy but it's the best handling full sized SUV you can get. The Kodiaq is a diesel and it will not be great in a 0-100Km/hr drag race. Where the Kodiaq excels is in drive ability. you get 150bhp but you get 90Nm additional torque and the diesel easily has the torque to pull in a higher gear vs the Karoq and even the Tiguan Allspace. The 2.0L TSI Tiguan is 190PS but other than 0-100 and higher top speed, it's the Kodiaq that feels peppier cause you don't need to rev till 4000+ rpm to extract that power with the diesel engine. Once you realise how effortless the Kodiaq is without having to rev the pants of it you realise it has more usable power than the 2L TSI.

Personally the Tiguan makes no sense with the 2L TSI but the Superb with the same engine is brilliant. You can see the Superb is 8.3s 0-100km/hr and way more fun to drive.

Quote:
I have mentioned all the differences in detail, now it’s upto the consumer to decide if extra 14-15L more is worth it for the Kodiaq with the extra features it offers over Karoq.
This is kind of pointless since the Kodiaq is no longer in production and those who know how good the Kodiaq is picked them up just before they went out of sale at good discounts (me included).

I had seen the Karoq closely and the compromises plus the fact that they were charging so much more money for a 1.5L TSI engine and a smaller car than the Octavia. The Octavia was lower priced, had the better 1.8L TSI engine and the independent rear suspension plus more space at the back than the Karoq! It was a mini Kodiaq but a compromised one especially the risk with the DQ200 gearbox. The Kodiaq has the DQ500 gearbox rated for 600Nm torque vs the Karoq's DQ200 250Nm torque rated box. Had the Karoq come with the 2L TSI or 2L tDI with more reliable gearbox plus the proper fully loaded variant with electric tail gate, subwoofer with Canton audio ets, for the 30L price tag then it would be a mini Kodiaq.

The Kodiaq is the like the Superb. The Octavia can do everything the Superb does, but the Superb makes you feel special which is what the Kodiaq does. The Karoq felt really nice but did not feel like I was driving a 32L car. The Octavia actually felt more special to drive.

Quote:
And there’s no dynamic dampers or adaptive suspension, so the drive modes you are mentioning are pretty basic and I didn’t even notice any difference whatsoever (all drive modes have only 2 options: Normal& sport). And even something like steering for example doesn’t weigh in sports mode as well (I couldn’t notice any difference). It’s not merc/Audi level drive modes, I thought them more of a gimmick to be honest and they never seem to do anything (even in ECO drive mode on Kodiaq, it was giving under 12kmpl mileage in my testing, although claimed is 16kmpl). So drive mode features are there, but they are ultimately of not much use most of the time as they don’t perform optimally.
Well I have been getting 12kmpl in the city before lockdown and around 15-16kmpl after the lockdown opened. The fuel economy is better than my Ecosport Diesel .

Also, the drive modes work very well. Eco mode lets the engine coast and makes the throttle response lazy and gives easily 2kmpl more. Sport mode firms up the steering a lot. Infact if you don't anticipate it, you get caught off guard changing lanes cause the steering tightens up noticeably and has a lot of weight to it vs the normal mode. It also has a cool custom mode where you can set the lights, aircon, gearbox to sports mode but the steering can be light or vice versa.

Sadly the Kodiaq is no longer sold and the new one is coming next year with the 2L TSI engine which though powerful will not have the same torquey drive characteristic as the Diesel.

All I can say is if today I didn't have a Kodiaq and was in the market, I would be supremely tempted for a Superb 2L TSI over the Karoq. With the discounts (2.5 lakhs+), the Superb is 4-5L more than the Karoq and a far superior package. With way better performance, way more space, way better dynamics, more reliable DQ381 box, plus the Superb Sportline looks hot. The Karoq is good but only if you need the ground clearance over everything else like performance, comfort, driving dynamics, luxury. Too many compromises IMO just for ground clearance that too a FWD crossover.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th August 2020 at 00:17.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 03:25   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sadly the Kodiaq is no longer sold and the new one is coming next year with the 2L TSI engine which though powerful will not have the same torquey drive characteristic as the Diesel.

All I can say is if today I didn't have a Kodiaq and was in the market, I would be supremely tempted for a Superb 2L TSI over the Karoq. With the discounts (2.5 lakhs+), the Superb is 4-5L more than the Karoq and a far superior package. With way better performance, way more space, way better dynamics, more reliable DQ381 box, plus the Superb Sportline looks hot. The Karoq is good but only if you need the ground clearance over everything else like performance, comfort, driving dynamics, luxury. Too many compromises IMO just for ground clearance that too a FWD crossover.
Sorry mate, but I tend to disagree with you on many points here.
Firstly getting the sedans out of the way: definitely a person looking for more GC will not think of sedans if he/she really wants that GC. I live in Delhi NCR and I regularly encounter roads which are super bad and especially in this monsoon season, even some SUVs tend to crash into steep bumps (which aren’t visible when roads are flooded with water). There’s a reason sedans like superb aren’t sell well in front of SUVs and why Indians are loving SUVs More than anything else. So it’ll be foolish to suggest a sedan to a SUV buyer when he genuinely needs that GC instead of driving dynamics on his regular day commute (practicality is a thing my friend, you yourself bought Kodiaq Scout). Also, Every time I encounter such roads, I thank myself for not buying a car like Superb over Karoq or Octavia over XUV 500. Piece of mind & confidence of going anywhere w/o fear of getting your car stuck or damaged is a luxury sedans can’t provide (I have had such experiences with my Ameo TDI, which has same GC as superb and has much shorter wheelbase , that’s why I’m speaking from my experience.

Secondly, About the Kodiaq, I think it’s a station wagon more than a SUV. It’s propositions are seriously off and it looks like a van to me (& I know I’m not alone, many have complained about it’s looks). IMO, Karoq looks much better with well proportioned stance.
Also, talking about drivability of Kodiaq due to more torque: I’m Sorry to say that but I didn’t find it to be adequate even for the cities as there’s turbo lag below 1500-1700 rpm (typical TDI motor) & due to merge 150BHP power on a 1800kg Wagon, Kodiaq does feel slow & heavy (while karoq is way more fun when chucking around corners as it has better dynamics & feels agile/nimble due to higher power to weight ratio & lesser bulk).
About DQ200 reliability: I have been using it on my AMEO TDI and no issues at all (Even after our driver driving it most of the times, & you know how they abuse the cars). I think one of cases or past horror stories should sway prospective buyers to change their decision otherwise.
Also I think, when people buy 5 seater SUVs, they look for city commutes more than backseat space. Owners mostly drive these themselves. While cars like superb are more towards chauffeur driven (so it makes sense for them to offer more rear space). I recently bought a Endy 2.0 Titanium plus for “space and long touring needs”. I think people looking to buy the 7 seater SUVs buy them for the rugged charm (Butch looks), go anywhere capabilities, great ride, long distance cruising comfort & space. That’s the reason Kodiaq didn’t sell that well in India as it does lack many of the above points when compared to it’s rivals.
While a premium 5 seater self driven car like karoq makes much more sense for cities (over say creltos, as they are anything but premium & luxurious).
So what I’m trying to say is that Kodiaq doesn’t fit anywhere:
  • it’s not capable or big enough to qualify & compete with “proper” ladder on frame SUVs which offer the price to size ratio and rugged appeal which Indians Look for in this segment.
  • Nor does Kodiaq is small enough for a middle-aged owner (like my dad & many others I know) to drive himself in the cities in comfort and luxury (it’s unnecessary to carry the huge bulk of Kodiaq for this purpose when something like Karoq can do the job much better).
  • Nor does the Kodiaq has driving dynamics & performance of sedans for enthusiasts like me, which Superb/Octavia or even 5 seater SUVs like Karoq/Troc offer much better than Kodiaq

I know you own a Kodiaq Scout and I have nothing against it. I’m happy it suits your needs very well & that you are loving it. But I think you are arguing here more as an owner and not as a “TeamBHP reviewer” (& personal Bias’s are natural, I don’t mean to offend you at all).
I think different people have different choices and in cars too, there’s no perfection. No single car can Satisfy everyone’s needs (as they are so varied). So it’s better to buy car based on YOUR specific purpose, if that’s clear in your mind, you’ll never regret or make the wrong decision.
I know My frequency just doesn’t match with yours. Nothing wrong in that. I appreciate your views.

Cheers!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th August 2020 at 08:37. Reason: trimmed the quoted post for easier reading.
Parth Oomphy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:59   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what I’m trying to say is that Kodiaq doesn’t fit anywhere:
At least in the narrower 'roads' of Bangalore, if I wanted to pick up one self-driven vehicle which can tick all the boxes of badge, premium exteriors & interiors, good GC, reasonably good handling, not unnecessarily big, robust diesel with good mileage, excellent automatic gearbox, big boot and classy looks, there are simply no alternatives to the Kodiaq 2.0 TDI.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:59   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
At least in the narrower 'roads' of Bangalore, if I wanted to pick up one self-driven vehicle which can tick all the boxes of badge, premium exteriors & interiors, good GC, reasonably good handling, not unnecessarily big, robust diesel with good mileage, excellent automatic gearbox, big boot and classy looks, there are simply no alternatives to the Kodiaq 2.0 TDI.
Actually I’m gonna talk plain numbers here:
  • Kodiaq is actually wider than Endy and fortunes. It’s not just as tall. So if you find Kodiaq easy to drive on narrow roads, then I don’t think something like Endy should be a problem. That’s what I said, for these kinda roads, premium 5 seater SUV like Karoqis way better or if for some reason you need 7 seats on;y, Tiguan Allspace is a nice choice (it’s even narrower than Karoq).
  • Talking about premium exteriors, it can be subjective, but like the Tiguan Allspace, Kodiaq also looks like a station Wagon (due to it’s long wheelbase but shorter height). So it might appeal to some, but not for proper SUV lovers like me. I think its proportions are off.
  • Talking about good GC, it might have decent GC compared to sedans (188mm that is), but in terms of SUV standards, even CRETA/SELTOS has more GC. So I don’t think it’s a plus point of the Kodiaq.
  • 2.0 TDI 150BHP engine might me fuel efficient, but it’s slow and underpowered for a heavy car like Kodiaq. So I think it’s more of a downer for Kodiaq & not a plus. It feels slow & heavy due to the weak engine.

I know some of the Kodiaq owners come to Karoq’s post to check out the smaller sister & then they find my posts which presumably “criticise” their car. So they try to defend their car. But this isn’t the case. Don’t take me wrong. Whatever I’m saying is based on my experience with the cars. I’m not saying that it’s “THE FACT” or something like that. It’s just matter of preference, needs & taste I guess.

Last edited by Parth Oomphy : 18th August 2020 at 12:02.
Old 18th August 2020, 12:16   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know some of the Kodiaq owners come to Karoq’s post to check out the smaller sister & then they find my posts which presumably “criticise” their car.
And come face-to-face with a dogged defense from a new Karoq buyer .

Anyway, each to their own - I do like the Karoq BUT wouldn't spend 30L (BLR on-road) for such a diminutive crossover, if I were in the market for a single family vehicle.

It's another matter if I had a Endeavour for intercity trips and a sporty sedan for the good city roads. THEN the Karoq looks an excellent classy alternative (to a Creta) as a spacious vehicle for the school run.

Also keen to see the incoming next-gen Skoda cars. Both the Vision IN crossover & new Rapid are due in 2020/21, and their interiors will evolve the 'Skoda' style interiors to the next generation.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed