Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 23:03   #421
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
Yeah, I booked mine and got delivery as well. Got magnetic brown since black wasn't available
Congratulations! I had the same problem with black not being available. I ended up with a Quartz Grey instead. Skoda underestimated the demand for black colour.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:05   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
I don’t expect them to reduce prices by more than 2 lakh though. If i see the Karoq at a 5 lakh rupee reduction, i would lose my mind
I won't be surprised if there is little or no reduction and just like what you mentioned about Lexus, any small reduction may happen at cost of some missing features. Most companies, including BMW, Mercedes have retained CBU prices for CKD citing temporary absorption of duties which might be correct as well.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 03:00   #423
Team-BHP Support

I would be curious to see the Compass, Karoq and T Roc in various profiles in a single pic for size context. Currently haven't seen either the VW or Skoda in person. I wonder how they stack up in internal and external presence and space relative to each other.

Saw this link but still not a flurry of live pics of all three cars together.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...parison-417454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I can't comment on the old Laura but being an owner of a Honda Civic for the last 10 years & an Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K for 4.5 months now, I can safety say the ride & build quality & the luxurious feel that one gets in the Octavia is much superior to Honda's and I can say the same for against the new Civic also.
You are right there I suppose but the OP was quoting in the context of other germans. Your observation is true but that's also partly because Honda quality itself has deteriorated over the years.

In terms of build quality, I guess a crude order of waterfall would be as below (there may be brands that sit somewhere on this list that I haven't considered):

1. Mercedes and BMW
2. Audi
3. VW
4. Skoda (/ Toyota?)
5. Hyundai / Kia maybe
[6]. Honda.

I would venture so far as to say that specific models of Mahindra and Tata may also perhaps have comparable build quality to Honda, give or take.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th October 2020 at 03:12.
Old 16th October 2020, 05:54   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In terms of build quality, I guess a crude order of waterfall would be as below (there may be brands that sit somewhere on this list that I haven't considered):

1. Mercedes and BMW
2. Audi
3. VW
4. Skoda (/ Toyota?)
5. Hyundai / Kia maybe
[6]. Honda.

I would venture so far as to say that specific models of Mahindra and Tata may also perhaps have comparable build quality to Honda, give or take.
I would put Jeep (India products) in the top 5, ever heard much about panels squeaking, loosening or falling off inside, and of course the exterior build quality is top notch.
Also, Honda isnt as bad as it is made out to be. I had a minor snafu with my Honda City (my mistake entirely) when I took a sharp right turn on a signal, unfortunately losing visual awareness of a lane divider stone that was jutting out of line with the rest. The car's right front wheel, mid section and rear right wheel grazed over the stone, causing a huge grinding/crunching sound and tilting to the left. Of course it was momentary, and at slow speed (less than 20kph).
But nevertheless, I decided to check the car out at the service centre, and much to my relief, apart from a slight right fender panel misalignment, there was no damage to the car (the misalignment was corrected by tightening the screws).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th October 2020 at 05:57.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:15   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would put Jeep (India products) in the top 5, ever heard much about panels squeaking, loosening or falling off inside, and of course the exterior build quality is top notch.

Also, Honda isnt as bad as it is made out to be.
Agree to both of your points. However, having owned a 2009 Honda City in the past and having closely experienced 2014 Honda City with a colleague, the overall build quality of Honda cars, both interiors and exteriors seem to have dwindled over time.

1. The car was made lighter over a period of time owing to the so called, high strength low weight materials. May be that was a good move, but along with that the body panels, the paintwork and the quality of the rubber hosing etc also went down.

2. Interior plastic/ leather material feel and finish again in comparison to the two generations of cars I've personally seen has degraded.

--Kalyan
Old 16th October 2020, 13:10   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Jeep had such bad long term reliability in Australia that they had to release an ad campaign stating how they have improved. Their DCT gearboxes achieve DSG level of merit in the hall of shame.

Edit: Link - https://campaignbrief.com/jeep-austr...mminspartners/

Last edited by andafunda : 16th October 2020 at 13:25.
Old 16th October 2020, 13:13   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

1. The car was made lighter over a period of time owing to the so called, high strength low weight materials. May be that was a good move, but along with that the body panels, the paintwork and the quality of the rubber hosing etc also went down.

2. Interior plastic/ leather material feel and finish again in comparison to the two generations of cars I've personally seen has degraded.

--Kalyan
I agree, sitting inside one of today’s Honda gives me maruti feels. And not good ones. Maruti has slowly improved it’s quality game whereas Honda has gone downwards.

Quote:

1. Mercedes and BMW
2. Audi
3. VW
4. Skoda (/ Toyota?)
5. Hyundai / Kia maybe
[6]. Honda.
I think Volvo and Lexus need a special mention in this list
Old 16th October 2020, 14:39   #428
BHPian

Quote:

1. Mercedes and BMW
2. Audi
3. VW
4. Skoda (/ Toyota?)
5. Hyundai / Kia maybe
[6]. Honda.

Ford should be above Honda/ Hyundai/ Kia. Fiat too, if they were still selling.
Old 16th October 2020, 15:27   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Jeep had such bad long term reliability in Australia that they had to release an ad campaign stating how they have improved. Their DCT gearboxes achieve DSG level of merit in the hall of shame.

Edit: Link - https://campaignbrief.com/jeep-austr...mminspartners/
Again, its been 3 years since Jeep launched the Compass in India. I have not heard of too many cases of engine failure, reliability issues over long term, even with regards to the DDCT. If that were the case, it would have surely come to light in this forum.
And regarding DSG- well I had the DSG Polo for 3+ years and I did not face overheating or any issues in the madness that is Pune traffic.
I believe these brands are unfortunately living in the shadow of their legacy issues. And the low volumes don't help matters either. I am sure that relatively speaking, more people have encountered issues with the AMT transmission. But then these somehow dont get highlighted as much.
Old 16th October 2020, 15:35   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Again, its been 3 years since Jeep launched the Compass in India. I have not heard of too many cases of engine failure, reliability issues over long term, even with regards to the DDCT. If that were the case, it would have surely come to light in this forum.
And regarding DSG- well I had the DSG Polo for 3+ years and I did not face overheating or any issues in the madness that is Pune traffic.
I believe these brands are unfortunately living in the shadow of their legacy issues. And the low volumes don't help matters either. I am sure that relatively speaking, more people have encountered issues with the AMT transmission. But then these somehow dont get highlighted as much.
We have had 2 Skodas and 2 VWs in the extended family. 2 cars faced issues with DSG. Just check global forums and YouTube. There is a reason the company offers goodwill warranty on DQ200.

On Jeep, let's wait and watch. Globally there has been quite a lot of issues on reliability.
Old 28th October 2020, 12:24   #431
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Karoq almost sold out in India, confirmed by Zac Hollis on Twitter

The Skoda Karoq, now launched at Rs 24.99 lakhs-smartselect_20201028122003_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/Zac_Hollis_/stat...776371712?s=19

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th October 2020 at 12:29.
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:41   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if Skoda could sell almost 1000 Karoqs in 9 months then it makes absolute sense to make the Karoq in India as a CKD! Drop the prices by a few lakhs for the CKD, get an AWD and Skoda you have a winner on your hands! If this comes true then the Karoq can give the Seltos and Creta a run for their money.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:20   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Well if Skoda could sell almost 1000 Karoqs in 9 months then it makes absolute sense to make the Karoq in India as a CKD! Drop the prices by a few lakhs for the CKD, get an AWD and Skoda you have a winner on your hands! If this comes true then the Karoq can give the Seltos and Creta a run for their money.
Now that they have achieved the target, they might actually end up doing that Though the 1000 buyers may feel cheated when the price is dropped.
rajshenoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:36   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Spot on! While the 4X2 models can appeal to those looking for a bit more exclusivity than the Seltos/Creta siblings, the AWD model can pull those people away who are looking at the Compass and Tucson.

But then, I also think this is only a stop-gap measure till their Vision-IN SUV comes out. Going by the looks of the test mules, it looks like they'll position it around the 20L category. I'm not sure how close it is to the Karoq in terms of space.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:36   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Now that they have achieved the target, they might actually end up doing that Though the 1000 buyers may feel cheated when the price is dropped.
Still these 1000 got very well build cars. In general I feel all CBU's > CKD's and dont even get me started on MII stuff
ajaiD is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed