Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 12:50   #1
BANNED

Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh

Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh-mahindraxuv300sportztgdisideprofileautoexpo81c3.jpg
Quote:
In addition to new vehicles, Mahindra has taken the wraps off its mStallion range of turbocharged direct injection engines in 1.2-litre, 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre displacements. These engines comply with the BS-6 emission norms as well as the Euro-6b emission norms. Rajan Wadhera, President (Automotive Sector), Mahindra & Mahindra, has proudly announced that even SsangYong and Ford have committed to use these engines.

The Mahindra XUV300 Sportz employs the 1.2-litre mStallion turbocharged direct injection three-cylinder petrol engine that produces 130 HP at 5,000 rpm and 230 Nm of torque at 1,500-3,750 rpm. It will be offered with 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic transmissions. The display model has the latter. The Mahindra XUV300 Sportz has dethroned the Ford EcoSport (with 123 PS 1.5L petrol engine) to become the new most powerful sub-4 metre SUV in India, although it is yet to go on sale.

The Mahindra XUV300 Sportz flaunts its performance-oriented character with Sportz decals on the bonnet and the door panels, red brake callipers and all-black interior with contrasting red trim. While there are some styling changes, the design of the SUV is the same. The alloy wheels used in this unit are also the same as those of the regular model.
Tata took it to 120HP in facelifted Nexon, and Mahindra surprises the segment with 130HP XUV300, they are fighting to improve things.

Meanwhile Maruti laughs and says to itself, 'no matter whatever you guys do, I will just do some cosmetic jobs and still be the segment leader'. Because Maruti rightly knows that there are more buyers for a sporty looking car than there are buyers for a sports car. Maruti discontinued Baleno RS and made no efforts to make it BS-VI compliant, but it recently launched Ciaz with sporty touches as Ciaz S. Maruti leading the market is not because of its sheer luck or anything else but because of its wisdom.

Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 10th February 2020 at 13:13.
wheelguy is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh

Wow, I like how the manufacturers are amping up the powertrain/ performance quotient on their cars. With diesel becoming a pariah of sorts, there is only so much you can do in the fuel efficiency game( add to it the policy flipflop on hybrids etc). So why not change the game itself ? It now makes sense that Renault is offering the high power Duster to stay relevant.
Its a good thing I say. Meanwhile they should also focus on safety by offering ESP and atleast 4 airbags as standard. Nexon has already provided a glimmer by making ESP standard.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils 130 BHP XUV300 TurboSport. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.35 lakh

Who else thinks Mahindra should have sold this under Ssyanyong brand rather than Mahindra? Korean cars are all the rage in India. If M&M had sold it as a Korean car, I am sure sales would have been way higher than they are right now.

Also, it looks like a smaller version of Seltos. Many a time I got confused myself, from a distance. That would help them, too. But, why 3-cylinder Mahindra? No matter what you do, they are never as smooth as a 4-pot. BHP, torque numbers look impressive. I hope they give a proper TC and not an AMT.
pgsagar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Meanwhile Maruti laughs and says to itself, 'no matter whatever you guys do, I will just do some cosmetic jobs and still be the segment leader'. Because Maruti rightly knows that there are more buyers for a sporty looking car than there are buyers for a sports car.
I understand what you mean but I think its deeper than that. Our roads are just not upto the mark for "high performance" cars. People spend hours stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and whenever the cars have a little room to stretch their wings, same people drive like idiots and end up hitting things.

So Maruti has come up with a simple strategy of putting stickers and some paint on their fuel efficient light weight cars. This way, you can feel good when you see it in pictures and be happier knowing that the "hot hatch" or "sexy sedan" is burning more fuel than you are.
Driving80kph is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Which Automatic transmission is being used?

Hope it is not an AMT transmission on a 130hp machine!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 17:24   #6
BHPian

Mahindra needs to be applauded for giving such a powerful engine in XUV300. Infact most of their of vehicles have very good engines, be it XUV500, Scorpio etc. As far as I can remember when I was in school we had a Mahindra Jeep which had a engine from Peugeot France. They used to import that engines and put it in their Jeeps. It was said to be ahead of that times. First gen. Scorpio had a good 2.6 liter engine . Then they gave excellent M-hawk in Scorpio and Xuv 500. And now this one in Xuv300. So one can say good engines gave their vehicles a head start and overshadowed their shortcomings like poor ride etc. It is opposite incase of Tatas . They had vehicles with drool worthy designs like Safari, Sierra, Indica and now Altroz. All have one thing in common, that is when they were launched they had very average engines or we can say to some extent underpowered. This is the major difference between success of Mahindra vehicles despite having limited resources and below average performance of Tata vehicles.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 18th February 2020 at 04:41. Reason: Typo.
Sandeep500 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 23:12   #7
BHPian

As if there was not enough confusion while choosing between Nexon, Venue, Ecosport, Duster etc, Mahindra upped the ante with this!! However, the impact on FE needs to be checked. Hope it doesn't come down to single digits.

P.s- hope M&M provides Android auto too,which I believe is missing in Xuv 3OO
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 00:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
P.s- hope M&M provides Android auto too,which I believe is missing in Xuv 3OO
XUV 3oo has Android Auto and it is working fine in my W8 Diesel.
DrRC83 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 05:41   #9
BHPian

This is a great move. I really appreciate Mahindra for this . The performance enthusiasts will love this.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 08:47   #10
BHPian

What's with these amazing numbers on petrol engines of late?

Duster petrol produces 250 Nm from its 1.3, and now Mahindra with 230 Nm from its 1.2! My Jazz produces only 110 Nm from its 1.2!

Future looks promising with these smooth petrols with amazing driveability!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 08:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which Automatic transmission is being used?

Hope it is not an AMT transmission on a 130hp machine!
The article says it is a "six speed automatic transmission". Such parlance is usually associated with torque converter AT gearboxes, although theoretically it could also describe a double clutch automatic (of the VW fame); and CVT can be ruled out since it doesn't have (in theory) a finite number of gears.

An AMT on this machine would be a crying shame alright!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:28   #12
BHPian

I test drove the XUV 300 last week, it's one solid car, came back back very impressed. The diesel engine is genuinely powerful, the shortcomings of the AMT are well masked by the torquey engine. Back to back TD with Duster P CVT, the XUV was miles ahead.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Duster petrol produces 250 Nm from its 1.3, and now Mahindra with 230 Nm from its 1.2! My Jazz produces only 110 Nm from its 1.2!

Future looks promising with these smooth petrols with amazing driveability!
I think new age of petrol engines is dawning. Crazy price difference between petrol and diesel prices some 12-15 years back had stifled petrol engine development. It took back seat to diesels. Petrols were there merely to provide an alternative to diesels and did well only in budget end of hatchbacks. We may now see more powerful petrols before EVs finally take over.
pgsagar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:47   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Two reasons = direct injection & turbocharging. That's what makes some of these petrols so special! Drive the VAG 1.8 / 1.2 TSIs and you'll know .

The XUV300 is a fantastic car that feels more "Hyundai" than "Mahindra". This power bump will make it quite a performer. Just hope the lag is controlled / minimised.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The XUV300 is a fantastic car that feels more "Hyundai" than "Mahindra". This power bump will make it quite a performer. Just hope the lag is controlled / minimised.
Because IT IS a Korean car (SSanyong) wearing Mahindra logo. Big mistake not selling it under Ssangyong brand name. Indians just love Korean cars and Mahindra couldn't cash it even when they have a genuine Korean car. They should learn from MG. How MG is successfully passing a Chinese car as British.
pgsagar is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks