Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Jaguar-Land Rover overtakes Audi as No. 3 in India's luxury market

Quote:
Tata Motors-controlled British luxury brand Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) claims to have sold more cars than Audi last year, becoming the first non-German company break into the top three.

A top company official said that JLR sold 5,000 cars in India which is more than what Audi sold in 2019.

JLR has thus become the only luxury car company to have recorded a growth in 2019 even as each of its competitors logged a fall in sales. There was a growth of 9 percent over 2018 when it sold a total of 4,596 units.

Audi witnessed a fall that was the worst in 10 years. The German company, that was once the top luxury car maker in India in terms of sales, posted a decline of 29 percent to 4,594 units in 2019.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2020 at 07:56. Reason: Quote tags
bmw_lover is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 14:41   #2
BHPian

re: Jaguar-Land Rover overtakes Audi as No. 3 in India's luxury market

Although we must appreciate the continuous efforts by JLR, Audi is the reason why JLR sold more than Audi.

I feel that the following are the reasons for decline in sales of Audi India.

1) Their iconic DRLs are no longer a USP since all manufacturers have mastered the art. Some like Mercedes has even bettered it.
2) Lame new Audi product launches. Even the parent VW launched the updated 2019 Vento and Polo with more fanfare as compared to the recent Audi A8 launch.
3) Their design seems to be outdated since there has been no evolution in those cuts and creases in the last 10 years.
4) Downsizing of engines!! While companies move forward, Audi is moving backwards. Imagine a poor sibling, Octavia 1.8 being more powerful than an Audi A4 1.4.
5) Deep discounting has backfired.
Akshay2010 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 15:39   #3
BHPian

Well JLR is getting its roots deeper. More than half of the Bollywood industry is either using or have a Range Rover in their garages. (Fun fact : People do follow movie stars and though it might be less than 10% but being in constant eyes of paparazzi did helped).

The Ride Quality is beautiful, Well appointed interiors, Refined and powerful engines, and sheer British quality in each and every component.

If they simply make their cars more reliable and improve their service & maintenance experience they can easily outsell all top luxury car brands.
Octane99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 16:19   #4
BHPian

I find too many realtors upgrading to the Discovery Sport these days. Once one builder buys one, every builder around him buys one.
evoker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 18:10   #5
BHPian

Jaguar deserves to overtake Audi because their cars are more desirable . What does one look for when buying an expensive car viz. beautiful design or distinctive looks, a powerful engine and sorted dynamics along with communicative steering. Jaguars provide all these virtues at some cost of reliability. Look at Audi , what does their cars give mundane engines commonly shared with their poor cousins Skoda, V.W, vague steering and so- so handling. What does they advertise ..matrix lights and some other features like that. No sane person is going to spend more than 50 lacs on glitz alone.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 11th February 2020 at 18:12.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:01   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2020 at 07:57.
Driving80kph is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th February 2020, 21:11   #7
BANNED

I sincerely hope that Volvo and Lexus too overtake Audi as soon as possible!

Audi's recent slew of launches have been a complete joke!
The A4 facelift is barely even a facelift compared to the facelift version that's available globally.

The new A6, tries to combine BMW's (5 series) driving dynamics and Merc's Comfort. Unfortunately, it miraculously fails at both because it's a poor handler even by FWD standards with the engine running an extremely lame mapping (its the same engine as the Octavia RS245), vanilla plain interiors and a rear seat that is as cramped as my Dzire!

The A8 is obnoxiously priced, suddenly making the Maybach and the regular S class seem VFM.

I really wish Lexus and Volvo overtake Audi in sales as soon as possible. These two OEMs are extremely underrated and pack a lot of technology and innovation in their products!
aryag1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall now even the Audi badge is no more desirable, they have lost sheen overtime, and i don't think i ever give a second look to any audi passing by anymore. Sales number just reflects the thought.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar-Land Rover overtakes Audi as No. 3 in India's luxury market

Wow! I had predicted that Jaguar-Land Rover had a shot at overtaking Audi, and it actually happened. Here's my post from early January in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Meanwhile, poor old Audi sells a shockingly low 4,600 cars - related thread (Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?). If Jaguar-Land Rover were to up their lame game and become aggressive, they could easily overtake the direction-less Audi.
For Jaguar-Land Rover, it is an achievement, no doubt. Till just a couple of years back, they were a bit player barely doing 2,500 a year. 5,000 is nicer, but still a far cry from where Mercedes & even BMW are. For a company that has an Indian parent, it is unacceptable. They need better pricing (most JLRs are still overpriced), more sensible variant planning, stronger marketing, wider distribution & superior after-sales.

Audi, well, looks like a headless chicken right now. Reasons highlighted in this thread (Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?).
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 08:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking that Volvo would have got into the 3rd place considering their growing popularity with the well-sorted XC range; did not expect JLR to be there. They did climb in stealthily - like a Jaguar!
vb-saan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 08:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, JLR has achieved this in no small measure owing to the desirability of the Land Rover-Range Rover. If I had the money, that's the luxury segment I would be dabbling in. Interestingly, this is a far cry from the doomsday predictions the company was under in the not too distant past.

Link (Jaguar-Land Rover to cut jobs due to sales slump)
benbsb29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Can we get a break up of the sales figures from JLR? My guess is a major part of that growth would be owing to the Jaguar XE sales. I see so many of those around in Delhi NCR. For a first time buyer venturing into the entry level luxury car market, having the option from the JLR stables does wonders as the brand is more aspirational than the established players simply because of its relatively late entry into our market and hence the exclusivity factor.

I sincerely wish for Volvo to find more takers too. The XC90 is a huge hit with so many of those around. 5 years before, IIRC only the Audi Q7 used to be spotted so frequently from that segment.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryag1998 View Post
The new A6, tries to combine BMW's (5 series) driving dynamics and Merc's Comfort. Unfortunately, it miraculously fails at both because it's a poor handler even by FWD standards with the engine running an extremely lame mapping (its the same engine as the Octavia RS245), vanilla plain interiors and a rear seat that is as cramped as my Dzire!
I can't believe its the same engine as the Octavia RS245. One quick Q - does Audi have any plans to launch the e-Tron? That should definitely help their cause.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:44   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
I can't believe its the same engine as the Octavia RS245. One quick Q - does Audi have any plans to launch the e-Tron? That should definitely help their cause.
The block is the same. Just that there are a lot of part changes in longitudinal mounting and Audi runs a different map.
aryag1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryag1998 View Post

I am happy to see this news. It is not just the bollywood but the prime minister's office is also use Range rovers only. They seem to have ditched the 7-series armoured limousines in favour of armoured Range rovers. would love to see the PM's Range rovers accompanied by Jag F-Paces for the secret service instead of the current fleet of X5 and the President's S-Class replaced by XJ-L armoured. TATA should make one and present it to the President's office.

Which A6 are you talking about? If it is the current generation, there is already a huge issue running in Germany about them that the 48V mild-hybrid equipped cars are performing poorly even with 250PS+ of power at tap. The combination of DSG and Belt-driven Starter generator seems to have not been integrated properly and this has been identified as the cause for the lackluster/inconsistent performance. This is also the reason why Mercs have included the starter-generator within the gearbox/flywheel in the new gen S/E class vehicles. This has proven to be a boon where the start-stop system works flawlessly and one cannot notice under any weather and driving conditions if the engine is on or off.

I recently got to drive a Q8 with 50 TDI-V6 engine and found the start-stop system to be ok but the power delivery was non-linear. In extreme cold start cases, the start stop system and the DSG were quite noticeable. The interiors with dual touch screen are beautiful to look and the software is very intelligent but not user friendly while driving. One has to take the eyes off the road for considerable amount of time to operate the system.

Given that the Jags are following the same trend, I believe sooner or later we will see people complaining about the useability of these touch screens. Sadly, Mercs are following this trend of big screens too.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed