Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 20:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: January 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

As the production of the Etios twins comes to an end, I can see a bump in the sales figure of the Yaris!
Old 11th February 2020, 20:26   #17
BHPian

What happened to Toyota? They seem to be losing share MOM.

Glanza sells only 1/10 of Baleno's numbers!

Yaris sells 725 units is this a one off?
rakirank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 01:15   #18

Is it Xcent and Aura numbers combined? Or Xcent completely discontinued and Aura numbers are listed as xcent? . Hyundai should report both the numbers separately as this will decide the fate of Aura. We all know a considerable number of XCent is sold for T board, So am waiting to see actual Aura sales .

Meanwhile decent start for Altroz and Carnival.
Eagerly waiting for February and march sales for Harrier numbers with automatic.
Maruti as usual rocking in the top 10 spots. There is going to be a tough competition between KIA, Mahindra and Tata(Hoping with so many competent launches in January month) in coming days for the third spot. Fingers crossed
535dinesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 08:11   #19
BHPian

Overall, the market has swung back, big boy is moving upward and new players are clocking healthy numbers.

The most worrying chart is that of Toyota. Although Yaris has somewhat picked up, the bread winners i.e., Innova and Fortuner are plunging the angel falls.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:40   #20
BHPian

Ford is one manufacturer that has decent models and deserves to succeed (despite the cost cutting lately). The EcoSport is bringing in decent numbers despite its age, so Ford should really think about bringing in a new gen!

As for Kia, it would have been unimaginable even 5 years back that an almost 20 lakh car is selling 15,000 units per month - almost the same as a Wagon R!!! The Carnival is selling a respectable 450 though I was expected around 1,500 units.

Maruti seems to have taken a break from the troubles but the rest of the OEMs are still struggling. This doesn't bode well for a market that was always seen as a major source of growth. Hyundai seems to be losing it's plot with their designs lately - specifically the Aura and the Creta. It remains to be seen how forgiving the Indian consumer is to Hyundai's design misadventures especially given that Hyundai is only second to Maruti when it comes to consumer trust.
dragracer567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:52   #21
BHPian

With the premium hatchback segment getting new competition, it seems like everybody but Maruti has taken a hit. Baleno continues to sell 20k numbers while i20 goes down a bit.

Seeing Honda Jazz go completely out of the scene is disappointing, it's a very capable car and still the best choice in the segment if you want an automatic. Double-digit numbers and Honda has said it won't bring the new Jazz to India. I guess this is the end of life for Jazz.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Dude, that had the entire office team stumped. We checked with the Autopunditz website and that's how it stands.
Out of those 63 Safaris sold in December, one guy might have returned it back for some reason and might have had a big fight as there is no return/replacement for cars yet . I am so curious to know more about what happened.

KIA - Hearty congratulations to Kia Seltos for that round figure of dispatches (15000). Not very often we see the round figures here and that big.

HYUNDAI - Fingers crossed for the All-New Creta. Get the numbers back from the Seltos or anyways it is 'bhai-bhai' deal though.

TATA - Altroz had a good start, hope it picks up more.

SKODA - Good to see the Rapid doing well for its segment. It might be because of that advertisement they placed at so many places (looks like a million bucks but doesn't cost you so much). Also, the mid variant (Ambition) has everything one needs, projector lamps, touch screen, alloys, etc.

VW - Polo slowed down a bit, Altroz effect?

RENAULT - Triber needs little more power to go up the sales chart.

FORD - 13 Figos, showroom guys might be having a tough time. Nothing against the fantastic car though.

FIAT - Adios Amigo!
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:57   #23
BHPian

They are being beaten to the pulp but nobody budges.
I am in the market for a Ford Endeavour 3.2 TITANIUM and in the last three months, no a single SA in Bangalore cared to have a decent conversation regarding the sale.
The attitude so far is - "If you want our car, you should beg for it and we might allot you one".

While the market share is eroding and monthly figures are falling, they went ahead and increased the price. I guess they stopped BS4 manufacturing a while ago, in anticipation of BS6 and then, they flushed out their stocks too.
As there is nothing around to sell, SAs are taking it easy on prospective buyers.

I am planning to tune my Fortuner [1L KM old] be happy with it for 3-4 years more.

Can anybody here help me get a good deal?
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:02   #24
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed analysis. I noticed Yaris primarily because it was in my consideration set for a purchase in 2020. Spike in sales because of discounting to finish off BS4 stock? Or the cosmetic-change special edition released at the end of last year? Either way, sad to see a very competent and reliable sedan suffer due to pricing not commensurate with competition offering
sam_babushka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:06   #25
BHPian

I think with respect to people speaking about the diminishing market share of Hyundai, it should be seen with the addition of Kia's volumes too.

Expecting Carnival to add celebration in the Kia family. I foresee a lot of Innova owners checking it out. Kia could soon be the No.3/No.4 car manufacturer in India with Kia sonet which is already grabbing eyeballs

MG should also add some volumes with the electric car although it won't be doing great volumes. Mg should look at a compact SUV that is feature-loaded.
Mr.Beat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:13   #26
BHPian

Wow, Kia Seltos has broken all records! I have never seen such an expensive car do such numbers!

How can TATA produce -1 safaris? Did they abduct a safari from the roads and disassemble it or something?
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:19   #27
BANNED

The vehicles used in the armed forces - Gypsy and Safari - clocked 1 unit each. Does that mean armed forces asked for 1 unit each with some special specifications for testing purposes?

Or, is it the Jimny manufactured here and named as Gypsy for internal testing?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th February 2020 at 11:32.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Will be interesting to see the number of Dzire, Baleno, Swift, Brezza sell once only the petrol variants are available thanks to BS6.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:24   #29
BHPian

When I see sales of a few Maruti's models, I really appreciate the value of "Brand Value". Without naming any model in particular so as not offend any owner in our forum, I do find it difficult to understand how people plonk their money on some models when, leave alone competitors, even in the presence of a similar model at same price point, within the brand . I believe they are reaping the rewards from their past. It's like a moat for their fort.
vamsi.kona is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Man! Jazz has stopped selling altogether. I own a 2017 V CVT and really do not have any real red flags, it has great space, engine is smooth, transmission is not a high point but no deal breaker fr sure as I drive in Mumbai. I like the looks and seating position too.
Y only worry is will I face any issue in service and parts in case it is discontinued in future.
Shanks_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed