Old 13th September 2005, 20:27   #196
Senior - BHPian

Steer, will you be my good friend?
Old 13th September 2005, 20:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Yeah. But I want the Swiss watch. Deal, Steer?
Old 13th September 2005, 20:30   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
For the swiss watch? You'll have to ask my partner, and then you will have to be bringing in enough business for him to be parting with that kind of $$$.

As for the whiskey, I do have a lot of friends...catch up next time in B'lore.
Old 13th September 2005, 20:30   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Its very easy to create an "Image" from "Hype", especially in this Kaliyug. I'm not kidding -

The "leader of the free world" is living proof as to how people can be deluded.

A war was fought and a country razed to the ground - all based on an image created by hype and careful orchestrated media support.
How very true, sad and dengerous, so easy to label some evil and some good and some free with some needing to be liberated, all for an ulterior cause.
Old 13th September 2005, 20:30   #200
Senior - BHPian

Dont you want the manual? Hope it is not as cryptic as the beemer's iDrive system
Old 13th September 2005, 21:05   #201
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents: The RRs suck. If you were to give me one, I'd sell it and buy a Lambo. Or a Viper. Or a GT-R.

The Hummer is an overhyped American truck that fills the void of America's need for an automotive icon.

In case all the Western fans haven't realised, all these cars are the ultimate aspirational vehicles, nothing else. White men's mobile dreams. The Gelande Wagen, RR Phantom, Range Rover, MBs, Beemers, they're all status symbols. That's why they're so prominent in black gangsta rap videos. Make your Joe Rapstar feel all up there with the WASPs.

On the other hand, how many streetracers do you know that run Western cars? When performance at a price matters, you go Japanese.

As far as the Astra vs City goes, I think, nay I know, the City fares better after a few years.

It's very easy. You can ask our Super-M, GTO. Ever had a complaint off his Vtec, that too a 2nd hand one? Nope!
Old 13th September 2005, 21:09   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
On the other hand, how many streetracers do you know that run Western cars? When performance at a price matters, you go Japanese.
If Western companies have to build one, dude, they will. And they would be better than the Jap machines IMHO. Japs play catch up and then go one step further. But the first step is generally taken by Western companies.
Old 13th September 2005, 21:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

So you are saying that Western companies don't have to build a quick and cheap car. Or that they can't?

It's simple. I see huge losses among Western carmakers. Toyota is slated to become the largest in the world by 2008, at current rate. Cars are made for profit, not charity. The marketplace is the ultimate democracy, where most people vote with their chequebooks.
Old 13th September 2005, 21:56   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
So you are saying that Western companies don't have to build a quick and cheap car. Or that they can't?
What I am saying is that they do not realize that they should. For the record which is the world's fastest car? Is it Japanese? Western companies have this mindset that a car should be heavy stable etc etc ... That is their philosophy. Which is why 300+ horses on an American car will never beat 250+ on a Japanese one. The day they realize that tin cans or fibre bottles run well too and that most customers could not care less because tin is cheaper, they will beat the **** out of the Japs. They are not too intelligent when it comes to selling in their own back yard. A solid kick up their butt though and you will see them come roaring back.

P.S. I am just being hypothetical. I do not mean to demean Japanese engineering. But I do not like the Japanes fondness for light weight.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:00   #205
BANNED

There are 1969 Nissan Patrol and Land Cruisers still doing active off road duty in US and Australia, now if they were such light weight Japanese vehicles as is being projected here by some, then it is illogical to expect them to survive.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:01   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
There are 1969 Nissan Patrol and Land Cruisers still doing active off road duty in US and Australia, now if they were such light weight Japanese vehicles as is being projected here by some, then it is illogical to expect them to survive.
There are a number of 1930-1950 Buicks here running on Indian roads. Hell if they were as unreliable as some are projecting Western cars to be it is illogical to expect them to survive.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:05   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If you say they look like horse cart, what can I say on that? Go and tell Roll Royce owners all around the wordd that their car is a horse cart Or, Check out that RR Phantom in Mumbai in person.
RX 135....dude....I never said Horse cart, I said Hearse van...LOLZ
Talking about the Phantom that you mentioned...in black colour the damn thing realy looks like a coffin carrier!!! Nevermind that...talking about hand crafted precision tell me what has hand made got to do with the shape of the car, unless Rolls Royce starts making car body's with clay!!! The hand made part is the embozing, craftsmanship in the interiors and the precision chistles on the alloys and the monogram/logo,,,,but the my whole point was about the shape and the body lines and others...You getting me man?? Also what matters to me is a good product, doesnt really matter if its hand made or leg made...

V1P3r...excellent projection in 4 just lines!!!kudos

TypeOnegative,,,according to you 1950 buicks are offroaders is it??? and can perform in australian rough conditions today is it??? wipe it man!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 13th September 2005 at 22:20.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:10   #208
Senior - BHPian

This hand-crafting bit is a Western obsession. Your local tailor "hand-crafts" your clothes, presumably with know-how handed down over centuries. But the export-reject Gap t-shirt is probably still of better quality, and will last longer for the same price.

The world's fastest car is not going to give Honda or Toyota any profit. Does Koenigsegg run large-scale operations and rake in millions in profit? Please realise that such record-making cars are nothing more than publicity stunts. I'd like to see the profit margins on one year's production of CCR's as compared to one year's production of Civics or Camrys.

So, typeO, what you're saying is Western companies are run by people who are rather stupid. I agree.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:23   #209
Senior - BHPian

now why are Indian cars not there.???????? I wanted to vote for Indian. The mahindras and the tatas.
Old 13th September 2005, 22:49   #210
Senior - BHPian

not all car companies on this earth make cars to earn huge profits and double their sales every 2 years.

when u say toyota is going to be no 1 in the world it is in respect to their sales and not how much money they earn.if mercedes were to sell even half the cars that toyota does they would have double the turnover that of toyota.but there are not that many luxury buyers.

and about street racing,those guys go for jap cars because they are cheap and performance parts are easily available because the cars are there in large numbers.

if a BMW M5 or Merc E55 or those ones modified by babrus were to be introduced in competition,these cars would kill scare the living daylight out of modified jap cars.they dont do 200mhp+ just for fun.but most american street racers wont have the money to buy these cars and even if they did they wont race them because they are too costly to be fooled around with.

and about the RR,it was never here for technological marvel.RR stands for perfection and workmanship.it for the people who appreciate perfection in cars and not for ones who are turned away by the looks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks