Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 14:10   #31
BHPian

re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

They always do this, don't they? The same problem came up during review of tigor, harrier, and now it's altroz's turn. These are one of those chinks Tata motors needs to iron out from their armour before they consider themselves a global manufacturer.
Skorp_Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 14:11   #32
BHPian

re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

Team BHP review is the "Gold Standard" of vehicle reviews. Tata Motors should arrange the maximum variants for testing as soon as possible. The unbiased and honest nature of the review is the deciding factor for many who are buying a new car.
adi.mariner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 14:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure this is a logistic problem
Considering that Altroz is manufactured in Pune, I don't think it's very difficult to arrange for media cars in Mumbai. Heck, their own senior management sits in Mumbai. I do think that they just don't want to let people hear any negative comments about the hatch in its very early days. A pure fact based review may just be a buzzkill...
mayd85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:02   #34
BHPian

I have always felt Team BHP reviews are fact based (at most you could accuse them of being biased towards enthusiast loved cars).

Most of the general public is only going to read the exhaustive review. They are not going to go post by post to every members personal opinions.

In my opinion, TATA should base their decision on whether or not Team BHP mods conduct an honest review not whether majority of the Team BHP members have a positive vibe about the car.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2020 at 15:24. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

YouTube gets far higher viewership and reach, and hence companies would give them the first preference over a medium like TBHP

Case in point - Compare viewership of our entire 4x4 forum vs our very own Anshuman Bishnoi's channel on YT.
As popular YouTube is, i think people watch it more for entertainment. Innumerable times, i have friends, acquaintances tell me they don’t get the full picture from any of the YouTube reviews. [all reviews end in 10 mins or so was their logic] All of these, i repeat all of these people defaulted to TBhp again and again before making a decision. It was also not just the reciews, but the quality comments that follow the review that helped them seal their decision.

Last edited by rrsteer : 17th February 2020 at 15:16.
rrsteer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:41   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

UPDATE: We now have a total of 3 Altroz' offered to us! Just waiting for more details on the variant, date availability & location. Still nothing from Maharashtra though (which would be our first choice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayd85 View Post
Considering that Altroz is manufactured in Pune, I don't think it's very difficult to arrange for media cars in Mumbai. Heck, their own senior management sits in Mumbai.
Exactly my point. If anything, I would expect Tata media cars faster than the others due to their proximity. It sure is the case with Mahindra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Case in point - Compare viewership of our entire 4x4 forum vs our very own Anshuman Bishnoi's channel on YT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
As popular YouTube is, i think people watch it more for entertainment. Innumerable times, i have friends, acquaintances tell me they don’t get the full picture from any of the YouTube reviews. [all reviews end in 10 mins or so was their logic] All of these, i repeat all of these people defaulted to TBhp again and again before making a decision.
Agreed with both of you. However, the kind of YouTube videos we see today are certainly not a replacement for the in-depth, long form, detailed & unbiased reviews one sees on Team-BHP. I feel both have a place...no reason for it to be either / or.
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 15:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with both of you. However, the kind of YouTube videos we see today are certainly not a replacement for the in-depth, long form, detailed & unbiased reviews one sees on Team-BHP. I feel both have a place...no reason for it to be either / or.
I think his point was for TEAMBHP to add YouTube to its repertoire. We all know what happened to Nokia and Blackberry.
Red Liner is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post

Regarding giving a test drive vehicle to team bhp, I have one doubt, we can see so many reviews of Altroz in YouTube. But then Tata deliberately is not sharing one car with Team BHP ?
All the youtube reviews by other media were from the official media drive which we were also a part of.

However for our level of detailed review we hardly have enough pictures and driving impression feedback from these drives which are usually less than half a day on a pre planned route.

Hence after these short drives we ask for the car in Mumbai where the car is with us for almost a week for shooting + driving in city as well as Highway. GTO also takes important cars after the review team to corroborate the review points so there is no chance of conflicting opinions.

This media fleet car in Mumbai is what is not available by Tata Motors.
Vid6639 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:04   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Just one of the most popular dimensions of TATA motors: the typical 'government office'!

How can a single company have so distant polarities? One hand we have their products which are refreshing and different. On the other, we have their marketing team which still think they are in the era of the Indica. Their PR and media along with the aged marketing guys are proving to be cancerous like an enemy on the inside, obstructing the company growth. I really pity the product team :banghead:
A huge transformation has taken place inside Tata Motors, that includes both the Commercial as well as Passenger Vehicles Unit. The restructuring has created a mess inside the organisation. As a result, some people have been demoted (just imagine the embarrassment), some have been promoted, and employees are trying hard to settle down. This transformation was aimed at changing the "government" attitude to a more professional one. People from other organisations have joined Tata Motors at higher levels, and their way of working is totally different from what a typical Tata employee is used to. They are sure adapting.

On top of that, the company is trying hard to be profitable in an ethical way. No matter what happens, Tata Motors will never take shortcuts to become profitable. In terms of ethics and values, they set an excellent example.

They are just caught in this transformation. I just hope they do not disappoint the consumers due to this inside-mess and destroy their image. It took years and few good models to again build a somewhat positive image!
shankha007 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
A huge transformation has taken place inside Tata Motors, that includes both the Commercial as well as Passenger Vehicles Unit. The restructuring has created a mess inside the organisation.
They are just caught in this transformation. I just hope they do not disappoint the consumers due to this inside-mess and destroy their image. It took years and few good models to again build a somewhat positive image!
I'll give credit where it is due. In a recent debacle with Tata w.r.t. our car, they were found napping or one could call it laziness or pure incompetence or indifference. But the plus side was there was zero arrogance or rudeness from company officials or TASS. Cannot stress enough how a kind attitude can help a customer keep calm even when there's no conclusion coming to an issue.

Is there a transformation going on? Maybe yes. But even in this transitional fiasco they need to ensure that certain issues and requirements cannot be overlooked. Proactiveness is required. What's the point of all the effort, even if sincere, if such threads keep popping up every month?
TROOPER is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 17:30   #41
BHPian

I think this is just poor planning from Tata. Your products are hitting the sweet spots, the enthusiasts are all worked up, just stop behaving like a moody girlfriend.

Last edited by warrioraks : 17th February 2020 at 17:58.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 17:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

However for our level of detailed review we hardly have enough pictures and driving impression feedback from these drives which are usually less than half a day on a pre planned route.

Hence after these short drives we ask for the car in Mumbai where the car is with us for almost a week for shooting + driving in city as well as Highway. GTO also takes important cars after the review team to corroborate the review points so there is no chance of conflicting opinions.
Could you perhaps share initial impressions from the drive that day? I remember GTO did a mini review of the Harrier before the full review went up. Could you do something along those lines? At least it'll give people some idea while you guys get busy with the main review.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling a car will be made available by Tata themselves very soon. This kind of publicity tends to get the attention of the higher-ups.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Just bashing TATA and making it sin for not providing car for review is uncalled for. There could be some reason behind it, mostly related to logistics. Just for information TATA Motors overall is much bigger than Mahindra and Maruti Suzuki - source.

Every company sets priority on their own for future course. What is mine, may not be others. Hopefully, soon TATA will provide car(s) for review or review team may get from owner.
anujmishra is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 19:02   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.P.S. We’re also waiting for the Nexon EV & I hope the media car comes before Indian law mandates BS7 emissions, 6 airbags & ESP as standard.

By the way - hadn't we received the super cool looking Altroz model along with the official media drive invitation? Or we don't get enough time for the full review to happen in that window & need a keeper car for another week or so to complete the full review? Really weird prioritization if they arranged for 2 golden coloured wine glasses to be sent but not a car to keep for a week. I'm betting someone in the PR/Marketing department didn't earn their salary with hard work last month! Quite a silly oversight if it is one.

Altroz drive invite post from Altroz thread (Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.)
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed