Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 11:47   #61
BHPian

re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
won't dealers give their test drive cars?.. you'll will need it for a much longer period, but then it's not something too difficult for them.
If a dealer would provide a car then the Dealer would expect a mention and credit which would be tantamount to advertising the dealership and consequently the car Maker; something that this site has refrained from till now.
In the USA, Consumer reports are the Gold standard, they buy the car and then review it, that way there is no bias.
In our car scene we cannot expect small individually fueled establishments such as Team-Bhp to buy all the cars that are reviewed, so this setup( of the manufacturer providing the media car) has to be followed.
As seen already, many Altroz owners are willing to provide their car for review and hopefully this arrangement will suffice, just the the previous Ford experience.

Regards,
HsekarK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:51   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
won't dealers give their test drive cars? I understand you'll will need it for a much longer period, but then it's not something too difficult for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsekarK View Post
If a dealer would provide a car then the Dealer would expect a mention and credit which would be tantamount to advertising the dealership and consequently the car Maker; something that this site has refrained from till now.
Am okay with giving credit & thanks to a dealer. The problem would be that most dealer cars have stickers, and they need the car too for TDs (we need a car for 5 - 6 days).

Quote:
In the USA, Consumer reports are the Gold standard, they buy the car and then review it, that way there is no bias.
I am 100% open to buying a car for our review, if it comes to that.

Quote:
just the the previous Ford experience.
You bet! We had like ~40 EcoSports made available to us the last time.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 13:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman9192 View Post
This has been a trend of late in some 'premium' hatchbacks, I noticed this first when I took a test drive of the Ford Freestyle. I believe it has subsequently trickled down to the Figo as well.
The engine is no where as nice as Ford 3 cylinder mill. The Ford mills are fun to drive and have class leading power output. Tata mill has neither of those.
As GTO says engine is the heart of the car. This mill can work in Tiago and it is giving Tata good numbers.
It can't work in CS segment and Tigor numbers are no where near to Tiago forget Dzire.
They have made the same mistake in Altorz now.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

What is the problem if they do not want TBHP to do a detailed review of their car? It is their loss. I think there are few members here who are closely associated with TML. I would like to hear other side of the story as well.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

This has got nothing specific to Teambhp. This is just Tata being Tata. Even if someone inside Tata actually wants to blacklist a website, that in itself will need a big process that will take ages to get approved.

Everything will happen at its own pace inside Tata group companies. None gets to force the pace. This is for sure related to some sort of logistical constraint ; may be because of the BS6 production delays we read in another thread.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:04   #66

This is the biggest problem when we made up our mind to buy tata car and wait for team-bhp review. I remember tigor being reviewed using one of the TEAM-BHP member car after almost 3 months of launch. Nexon and Harrier reviews went live in our forum after the launch hype went down. We cant blame anybody other than tata logistics group. May be Tata need to watch this thread and they need to make Gravitas ready for media review post launch. Because a considerable percentage of people are buying their car based on team bhp review.
535dinesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
This is just Tata being Tata. Even if someone inside Tata actually wants to blacklist a website, that in itself will need a big process that will take ages to get approved.

Everything will happen at its own pace inside Tata group companies. None gets to force the pace.
As far as I know, Tata is the only conglomerate that has a dedicated Administrative Service in the form of TAS.
If you model something on the IAS and call it by a similar name then it will work with the same bureaucratic efficiency.
Alfresco is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with both of you. However, the kind of YouTube videos we see today are certainly not a replacement for the in-depth, long form, detailed & unbiased reviews one sees on Team-BHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
However for our level of detailed review we hardly have enough pictures and driving impression feedback from these drives which are usually less than half a day on a pre planned route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
We did. But IMO half a day or few hours time isn't enough for usual level of detailed review we see here & hence mods expect TATA to give the car for more time.

More like First look videos. None of them are full blown reviews.
I agree with you reviewers that the current quality YT videos are not replacement of in-depth Team-BHP Official reviews.

However, as I have learnt in corporate world, if one spends too much time in detailed analysis, it may loose relevance. Its better to share quick glimpse observations (subjective) and then proceed with detailed analysis (objective). This quick analysis always has an unsaid rider that it may have some deviation w.r.t. detailed analysis.

You guys are experts in reviewing cars. So, a quick Official Preview will go long distance in providing initial info about a car (static and/or dynamic) from reliable sources (you guys - like the one Vid6639 posted for Hyundai Venue).

This will help hundreds of prospective buyers and enthusiasts alike as we don't trust any other source. There are many cities where people don't get to see the newly launched cars even at dealerships for many days.

Subsequently, you may follow-up with detailed Official Review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Could you perhaps share initial impressions from the drive that day? I remember GTO did a mini review of the Harrier before the full review went up. Could you do something along those lines? At least it'll give people some idea while you guys get busy with the main review.
Agreed.
AutoNoob is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:33   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535dinesh View Post
This is the biggest problem when we made up our mind to buy tata car and wait for team-bhp review. I remember tigor being reviewed using one of the TEAM-BHP member car after almost 3 months of launch. Nexon and Harrier reviews went live in our forum after the launch hype went down. We cant blame anybody other than tata logistics group. May be Tata need to watch this thread and they need to make Gravitas ready for media review post launch. Because a considerable percentage of people are buying their car based on team bhp review.
Let's be a bit pragmatic. How many days elapsed between the launch of Hector, Seltos, Triber and the official review going live? Its not that those reviews went live overnight. Yeah? Depends on what a company wants to prioritize or what problems they have in getting something done.

Its a genuine request from TBHP to get a car to review fast. Its not the first time this has happened nor would it be the last. I think we should keep it at that, let owner members / outsiders come forward & lend their car for a review. No point in turning this thread into a Tata bashing one IMO. There are many existing ones for that purpose .

(P.S. - looking at MSIL's market share, I don't think the real % of people making a choice based on TBHP reviews is that big!)
Reinhard is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
As far as I know, Tata is the only conglomerate that has a dedicated Administrative Service in the form of TAS.
If you model something on the IAS and call it by a similar name then it will work with the same bureaucratic efficiency.
OT:
Do you have first hand experience with TAS selection, training, and other details which show they are inefficient?

Mods: Delete if you find this post irrelevant.

Last edited by Latheesh : 18th February 2020 at 16:44.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:36   #71
BHPian

Am sure nobody saw it coming, but looking back, you weren't very kind to their Harrier when you reviewed it, so it makes sense now. I think they took it to heart and said: "No, thank you. We'd rather you not review it".

Or maybe, they would provide you one after they iron out all the issues it currently has.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 17:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
The quality, detail, coverage and perspective of TBHP review notwithstanding, I think this is a sign of changing times.

Case in point - Compare viewership of our entire 4x4 forum vs our very own Anshuman Bishnoi's channel on YT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with both of you. However, the kind of YouTube videos we see today are certainly not a replacement for the in-depth, long form, detailed & unbiased reviews one sees on Team-BHP. I feel both have a place...no reason for it to be either / or.
Sorry to be a bit off topic here. However, I’d like to add my view.

Like most of them have already said it, YouTube will not feature a lengthier / most in-depth review content to be conscious of not boring their viewers. Therefore, they rush towards talking the most important points and leave the minute significant details in order to remain interesting throughout the view and to keep their viewers tuned in all the time.

But, it’s not the case with Team BHP forum review. They take their time to pen down each and every minute detail - for ex: panel gap / even the gaps within the dashboard layout or gear level compartment’s leatherette is also reviewed and written to the Z of the detail

I always recollect one saying “Rome was not built in a day” - it takes a lot of time & patience and perhaps the sequence to be followed is not missed / forgotten in the process to ensure the reader gets everything in sequence and information is not collected in an haphazard manner.

Let’s make it simple by comparing the taste of 3 min Maggie VS one hour cooked Dum Biryani

I know the wait is going to be a bit bothersome. May be our mods can put up a notice board on the forum of upcoming reviews in the pipeline so that our forum members / external readers are aware of their next cup of tea to savour.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 17:55   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I know the wait is going to be a bit bothersome. May be our mods can put up a notice board on the forum of upcoming reviews in the pipeline so that our forum members / external readers are aware of their next cup of tea to savour.
Love this idea. It would very helpful to have an approximate timeline because many of us still do not want to make a booking before reading the review here. And trust me as a car enthusiast, when you are out in the market to buy a new car, the wait becomes extremely painful. It would be really great to have a rough/tentative timeline available for everyone's reference.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
They take their time to pen down each and every minute detail
I fully agree with this.
Quote:
I always recollect one saying “Rome was not built in a day”... Let’s make it simple by comparing the taste of 3 min Maggie VS one hour cooked Dum Biryani
In my opinion, no wise saying has universal application.

If Rome was to be built today, the designers would prepare detailed models to give glimpse to approvers / public (consumers) and then proceed with actual detailed construction, taking their time to make everything perfect.

Same with maggie vs biryani comparison. If someone is really starving, is it better to give him the 2-minute noodles or ask him to wait for few hours so that he can enjoy the flavourful biryani. And most of us literally starve for information about newly launched vehicles; it very hard to wait for detailed reviews though we enjoy them too once they are published.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:14   #75
BHPian

My two cents, I find it hard to accept that TATA would intentionally delay providing a vehicle. Team -bhp has earned it's place and manufacturers do realize that fact. It would be wrong to target TATA for intention. We can surely blame them for the delay. This is one more unwanted press they sure could have avoided.
Is there any update on any other good hearted owner who is willing to provide their top end Altroz for the review. Maybe we should ask around our friends and family to spread the word.
chittybang is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed