Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 12:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota-badged Vitara Brezza launch in April 2020

According to a media report, Toyota is likely to launch a re-badged Maruti Vitara Brezza sometime in April 2020.

Rumour: Toyota-badged Vitara Brezza launch in April 2020-image006-1.jpg

The Toyota-badged Vitara Brezza will be the second badge-engineered model after the Glanza, which is based on the Maruti Baleno. Like the Glanza, the sub-4 meter SUV is also expected to get minor cosmetic changes.

The Toyota-badged Vitara Brezza is likely to be based on the facelift version that was unveiled at the 2020 Auto Expo. It could be powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine producing 104 BHP and 138 Nm, while transmission options might include a 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Toyota-badged Vitara Brezza launch in April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It could be powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine producing 104 BHP and 138 Nm, while transmission options might include a 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic.
This whole business of sharing products between Maruti & Toyota beats me!

Given that features and specifications remain untouched, why would I buy, say, the Brezza or Baleno from Toyota, unless I only care about the T badge!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:05   #3
BHPian

At least Toyota could have plonked a 5-speed, if not 6-speed, AT to differentiate the two. Anyway they are going to charge a premium. A few cosmetic updates aren't going to fool the customers.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:14   #4
BHPian

As per Maruti they want to replace all 1.3 MJD Brezza sales with 1.5 Petrol sales. Which isn’t an easy task. First of all mileage drops in petrol variant, along with better diesel options as in Venue, EcoSport, Nexon. Maruti is making sure that it covers the unit losses, let’s say 5-7k sales from MS Arena showrooms and 2-3k sales from Toyota makes them reach 7-10k around a month. Maruti expects petrol customers from other Compact SUVs to opt for Petrol Brezza. MJD Brezza used to clock 12-11k sale per month. Maruti will have portfolio of Bs6 fuel cars minus the MJD ones this year and this is not at all easy to manage. The Toyota move does make sense.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2020 at 17:00. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2020, 14:32   #5
BHPian

I hope Toyota uses the CVT transmission on this,unlike Maruti's AMT, if at all an auto transmission is introduced.
riteshritesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 17:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I hope Toyota uses the CVT transmission on this,unlike Maruti's AMT, if at all an auto transmission is introduced.
I highly doubt Toyota would change any mechanical part of the Vitara Brezza. If they did so, Maruti should have taken the CVT from Toyota and plonked it in all their 'premium' cars like XL6 and Ciaz.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Maruti should have taken the CVT from Toyota and plonked it in all their 'premium' cars like XL6 and Ciaz.
Let's not forget they have their own CVT too, in the Baleno. Though I agree with you that it seems unlikely Toyota will change anything mechanically
Punatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 20:33   #8
BHPian

So basically it means there will not be any more all new products or R&D from Toyota. They will keep doing badge engineering for the budget end of the market ie upto million rupee category and continue with updations on Corolla, Fortuner and the Innova. Great move and cost cutting from Toyota giving almost nothing in return to Maruti.

Last edited by bmw_lover : 17th February 2020 at 20:34.
Old 17th February 2020, 20:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Some of us were expecting Toyota cars at Maruti price range but looks like it is not going to happen. It is OK as long as Toyota is not charging premium for their badge. Smart move by Toyota to utilize their facilities including their dealers.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:18   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
At least Toyota could have plonked a 5-speed, if not 6-speed, AT to differentiate the two.
Quote:
Agreed, but considering Toyota took "badge-engineering" too literally with the Baleno & Glanza, I expect no changes under the hood.

This move is just to please dealers (some more sales & an additional category presence) and shareholders (to show something for the Toyota-Maruti partnership).

They shouldn't expect some crazy results though. Just look at the Glanza. While Maruti is selling 15,000 - 18,000 copies each month, the Glanza does ~2,300.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There will be no diesel variant for now, and hence no diesel AMT.

The newly introduced petrol variant uses an age-old, but reliable 4-speed torque converter AT.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:35   #12
BHPian

I'm told that Toyota is able to sell off each car that Maruti gives them.

On the Brezza, so no petrol automatic from Maruti at all? Or the Maruti and Toyota showrooms will sell the same car under different names side by side ?

Asking this coz I've paid the booking amount for the Brezza petrol automatic and no one in Maruti have any clue on launch dates.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 16:52   #13
BHPian

Brezza will have the antique 4AT and not AMT in its gasoline guise. Same configuration will be sold by Toyota I guess as well.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Vitara Brezza Petrol AT is equipped with 4 speed torque converter AT and not AMT like the earlier Diesel AT.
Old 18th February 2020, 19:10   #15
BHPian

When the Brezza facelift was to be unveiled in the Autoexpo, there was a certain curiosity on what would be in the offing.

Now that we know there is nothing major in the facelift apart from the Petrol engine, everything fizzled out. Heck they didn't even change the MID to the new one.

So, am not sure why we are so curious about Toyota launching the Brezza. They will throw in some extended warranty and promise better after sales and be done with it. That I guess is all we can look forward to in the Toyota Brezza.
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks