Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 13:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India

While looks and some missing features won't do the Verna much good, the engine options may take it ahead of the competition. I think the proper competitors to the Verna in this segment are the Honda City and Maruti Ciaz, both of which don't have a diesel engine in BS6 versions (so obviously no Diesel Automatic either) . For someone whom the first priority is a C segment sedan with Diesel engine either Manual or Automatic, there is not much of a choice other than the Hyundai Verna.
Old 22nd March 2020, 13:55   #77
Team-BHP Support

It's a relief they went conservative with the rear design, but if that interior is the same 'greige' they launched on the Aura, it's a huge downer. That color combo looks atrocious, esp. on the plastics.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdRider View Post
I think the proper competitors to the Verna in this segment are the Honda City and Maruti Ciaz, both of which don't have a diesel engine in BS6 versions (so obviously no Diesel Automatic either) . For someone whom the first priority is a C segment sedan with Diesel engine either Manual or Automatic, there is not much of a choice other than the Hyundai Verna.
AFAIK City will be launched in bs6 diesel next month. Also cvt will be given in diesel variants. If true I dont see many opting for Verna over City. Also, the exterior and interior both look unappealing in this facelift. Only if Hyundai gives a mouth watering price Verna may find takers.
Old 22nd March 2020, 22:52   #79
BHPian

What is wrong with Hyundai!

Their design team seems to be getting pressured by the Korean management.

Lets take a look at various generations of Verna launched here in India.

First Verna launched in India. Not considering the "Accent" which was sold as Verna Outside India.

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-verna-2006.jpg
Nothing special about it. Looked a typical Hyundai by the time's standard. Circular headlight like the Santro. Grill also similar to the Santro.
No one confused it with any other car, it was just a Hyundai back then.

Facelift Verna 2010 - with some pointy eyes.
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-verna-2010.jpg
This one really looked bad! It did not find many buyers as well.
Seems like the management told designer to give the car a "surma" eyes.

This was the time when Hyundai was suffering globally. And Hyundai turned tables to the designers.
And in 2011, here's what they came back with.
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-ver-2011_2.jpg
A lovely car, pure European design language, & quality to match the design.
Here onward Hyundai made good looking cars. The Verna, Elantra, Sonata were all so much nicer to look. (Sonata was a bit overdone with chrome grill, but acceptable)
I had heard that Hyundai hired the complete BMW's designer team back then, not sure tho, just rumors may be. Whoever it was, they did a good job.

I think, this is by far the "best" looking Verna till date.

Come 2015, and Hyundai came with a new design.
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-verna-2015.jpg
Another Beautiful Design, and now Hyundai is actually making good looking cars. Attention to the minute design details visible.

Come 2017 and then there's another model.
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-verna-2017.jpg
And we saw a Verna pulling its grill wide like the joker. Front was a totally hideous design.
Hyundai still managed to sell, probably because of the Brand.

And now 2020!
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-ver-2020.jpg
What's wrong Hyundai!
Hyundai Verna now looking typical Korean again with some sharp corners.

It seems Hyundai goes back to bad designs every 10 years!

Last edited by iamahunter : 22nd March 2020 at 22:54.
iamahunter is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

I for one think the facelift on the exterior side of it is well done ! They know their target audience and this will hit a cord with them. The interior is where im surprised they paid no attention. The tablet is so badly integrated and feels after market. The digital dials are an obvious cut copy paste from BMW ! (also don't gel with the interiors).
nik_kapur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:36   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The interior is where im surprised they paid no attention. The tablet is so badly integrated and feels after market. The digital dials are an obvious cut copy paste from BMW ! (also don't gel with the interiors).
Agree.

If not a redesign, they could've at least offered all black interior in the SX and SX(O) variants (if not all), would've certainly enhanced the appeal of the age old interior.
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:26   #82
BHPian

I am curious why is it being called a Face lift?

Ain't the engines new and different too?
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:10   #83
BHPian

The front reminds me of this. They want to make it look mean, which is okay, but have gone overboard. Does it really help having such a huge grille in the front, mechanically?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-screenshot-20200323-5.07.06-pm.png  

vinya_jag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Spare Hyundai the brickbats, folks! We might need all of these and more for their upcoming cars and crossovers. In fact, I'm glad Hyundai saved us from the misery and chose to launch this version and not the awful Chinese model here.

Honestly, I think this is one of the better redesigns from the Korean car-maker recently and the new Verna looks better in person than in these pics. A friend sent some images of a Verna Turbo in red from one of the dealership yards and it looked hot.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I am curious why is it being called a Face lift?
It is based on 2017 (3rd gen) Verna. Same platform, similar design but new engines. So technically it is a mid-life facelift and not a generation change.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:08   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Auto Trend's DJ Bro for sending these pics in, of the new 2020 Verna SX(O) in Red.]
Looking at these pictures, I am reminded of the Tiago!

Let me explain, there are two reasons:

- Those alloys look inspired from the ones on Tiago/Tigor

- The Tiago facelift has all digital instrument cluster. As much as the Tiago's cluster didn't look good, this doesn't look any better (atleast in the pics)

That said, I don't mind that front grille so much. But the sharp lines and cuts all through the front fascia is a little too much to digest. On the inside, apart from the instrument cluster, that HU with aftermarket looks spoils the show.

With the new Creta, Verna and Elantra, Hyundai seems to be trying really hard to spoil good designs. And yes, they're succeeding at it.
Old 12th May 2020, 04:00   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Agree.

If not a redesign, they could've at least offered all black interior in the SX and SX(O) variants (if not all), would've certainly enhanced the appeal of the age old interior.
I guess they are offering an all black interior with red accents in the turbo variants.
Old 20th May 2020, 12:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

2020 Hyundai Verna Facelift Goes On Sale In India; Prices Start At Rs. 9.30 Lakh base S variant, going all the way up to Rs. 13.99 lakh for the range topping SX (O) turbo variant.

Offered in four variants- S, S+, SX, SX(O) & SX(O) Turbo and it's the first fully connected compact sedan on sale in India.

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-smartselect_20200520122107_chrome.jpg

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-smartselect_20200520122058_chrome.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/2020...0-lakh-2231960
Old 17th June 2020, 14:29   #89
BHPian

Saw the car in person today. The variant was the 1.0 Turbo Petrol with DCT(with paddle shift). Its a love it or hate it design, not too bad in person, nothing great to talk about as well. But the twin muffler design on the turbo version looks absolutely gorgeous, and yes, they are two real exhaust pipes unlike the recent trend of fake exhaust tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-1be6c0bea5f14cb1911f15c74a93b2c1.jpeg  

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-ff810202e49f49919693a101d5b424bf.jpeg  

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-4ff2d14f1a2044109ea9bb45a673b73c.jpeg  

Xaos636 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks