Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 22:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Might be to earn fat profits! 1.0L Turbo GTDI is already in Venue. Using same in Verna will bring in more economies of scale, and slapping a red "Turbo" badge on the bumper will make customers feel it is a sporty car they are buying (since it would be in the higher variants).
Well I don't completely agree on economies of scale cause the 1.4L Turbo GDi is going into the Creta and is already in the Seltos. So, the Creta, Seltos and Verna could have had the 1.4L Turbo GDi. Whereas the Aura, Nios, Venue and upcoming Sonet could be with 1.0L Turbo GDi.

But what I will agree with you on is fat profits. With 1.0L Turbo GDI, they will still price it 13-14L and get fat profits with the 3 pot but if they got the 1.4L, they would have to cut their profit to keep the costs in check for the segment.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 09:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Verna variants:

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-11.png

Mileage:

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-13.png

Colours:

6 exterior colours: Typhoon Silver, Starry Night, Titan Grey, Fiery Red, Phantom Black and Polar White

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2020 at 09:49.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Much lesser than 1.6 diesel ?
It was 24.75 and 21.02 respectively for MT and AT
Old 28th February 2020, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
True. It's a 3kmpl drop.
Seems most BS6 diesel engines have less fuel efficiency than the BS4 ones. I was actually expecting an increase. Honda amaze is another diesel engine whose FE has reduced by 2-3kmpl. Even City diesel FE has reduced a bit.
Old 28th February 2020, 13:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
That was unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2020 Verna

Mileage:

Attachment 1974745
Another concern I have (assuming the mileage infographic is accurate) is that there is not much of a difference in the figures for the auto variants of petrol (NA and Turbo) and diesel. As such, I don't see much incentive for normal consumers to pay up extra for the diesel.
Old 9th March 2020, 14:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai teases the face-lifted Verna.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-h1.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-h2.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Facelift spotted testing in India-h3.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 9th March 2020 at 15:02.
RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:25   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Hyundai teases the face-lifted Verna.
Also announced that launch is on March 26.
  • Gets three automatic transmission options based on the engine & trim. The 3 transmissions are CVT, 7-speed DCT, and 6-speed AT.
  • Hyundai has confirmed that the updated Verna will be powered by 1.0-litre turbocharged GDi petrol engine. It will be the same unit found in the Venue compact SUV developing 100 PS and 172 Nm of peak torque.
  • The six-speed AT will likely be made available with the 1.5-litre four-cylinder diesel engine seen in the Seltos and it develops 115 PS and 250 Nm in the mid-size SUV.
  • The seven-speed DCT will be sold with the top-of-the-line variants of the Verna.
  • The 1.5-litre petrol engine will also be part of the package mated to a six-speed manual transmission as standard and a CVT as an option.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
[*]Hyundai has confirmed that the updated Verna will be powered by 1.0-litre turbocharged GDi petrol engine. It will be the same unit found in the Venue compact SUV developing 100 PS and 172 Nm of peak torque.[/list][*] The 1.5-litre petrol engine will also be part of the package mated to a six-speed manual transmission as standard and a CVT as an option.[/list]
So where does 1.0 GDi fit in? it makes lesser power than 1.5 mill. The gearbox will be quicker but the Verna is not tuned to be sporty. I strongly feel, Hyundai has this messed up and sooner or later the model will stop to exist.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Hyundai has confirmed that the updated Verna will be powered by 1.0-litre turbocharged GDi petrol engine.
This option has logical inconsistency. If the other two powertrain and transmission units come from Seltos / Creta line up, why will the GDI come from the Venue / Aura line up ?

It make sense if the Verna gets the 1.4 GDI Unit mated with 7DCT same line up as Creta / Seltos.

Likewise, makes sense if the Tuscon comes with 1.6GDI or 2.0 GDI Mated with 7DCT.
Old 9th March 2020, 16:04   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hyundai has confirmed that the updated Verna will be powered by 1.0-litre turbocharged GDi petrol engine. It will be the same unit found in the Venue compact SUV developing 100 PS and 172 Nm of peak torque.[/list][list]
The Venue is 118PS. I seriously doubt the Verna will be 100PS.

100Ps is same as i10 Nios and Aura and no chance the power can be same as a hatch half its size.

The Venue sits below the Verna and even that gets 118PS.

So my guess is 118PS for Verna 1.0L with 7DCT.

It should have been the 140PS 1.4L T-GDi. They cheaped out.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Venue is 118PS. I seriously doubt the Verna will be 100PS.

100Ps is same as i10 Nios and Aura and no chance the power can be same as a hatch half its size.

The Venue sits below the Verna and even that gets 118PS.

Really hope this to be the case, Hyundai has cheaped out almost its entire engine lineup, Creta will be getting a lesser powerful diesel, i read somewhere they will bring 100 PS version of the 1.5 Diesel engine in Verna, same as Venue/next i20. I won't be surprised if they bring 100 PS petrol as well.

Venue and i20 seem to have gained the most out of this BS6 dancing chair Hyundai is playing. (100 PS vs 90 PS and possibly more torque)
Old 9th March 2020, 17:13   #27
BHPian

I think this is just to get than starting from X.X lakhs tagline during launch and will be discontinued very soon.
Old 9th March 2020, 17:25   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
So where does 1.0 GDi fit in? it makes lesser power than 1.5 mill. The gearbox will be quicker but the Verna is not tuned to be sporty. I strongly feel, Hyundai has this messed up and sooner or later the model will stop to exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
This option has logical inconsistency. If the other two powertrain and transmission units come from Seltos / Creta line up, why will the GDI come from the Venue / Aura line up ?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Really hope this to be the case, Hyundai has cheaped out almost its entire engine lineup, Creta will be getting a lesser powerful diesel, i read somewhere they will bring 100 PS version of the 1.5 Diesel engine in Verna, same as Venue/next i20. I won't be surprised if they bring 100 PS petrol as well.
My previous post(forgot to mention the sources) was with reference to Gaadiwaadi & Rushlane articles.

Here's the actual press release by Hyundai which confirms the 1.0 Turbo GDI without mentioning the power figures:
Quote:
  • Next-Generation BS6 compliant Powertrain Options delivering Superior Power and Performance
  • 2. Most Powerful and Fun to drive 1.0 Turbo GDi petrol
  • 3. Segment unique & Eco friendly BS6 compliant 1.5L Diesel engine
  • 4. Efficient All New 1.5L MPI Petrol
  • 5. The Spirited New VERNA Invigorates overall look with ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ design language
  • 6. Wide range of automatic transmission options of Intelligent Variable Transmission, 7 Dual Clutch Transmission and 6 Automatic Transmission
  • 7. Equipped with First-in-Segment - Digital Cluster with 10.67 cm colour TFT, Front Ventilated Seats, Wireless phone Charger, Hands Free Smart Trunk, Emergency Stop Signal and many more.
New Delhi, Mar 09, 2020: Hyundai Motor India Ltd., country’s first Smart Mobility Solutions Provider and largest exporter since inception, today unveiled the First images of the Spirited New VERNA, defined by the harmony between Styling, Proportion, Architecture and Technology. The design direction of The Spirited New VERNA is to bring Instinctive Beauty and Create Emotional Value & Desirability, resulting in a Gleaming Figurine of ‘Sensuous Sportiness’.The Spirited New VERNA is based on 5 pillars of: Spectacular Design, Outstanding Features, High Reliability, Advanced Technology and Youthful Performance.

Continuing our commitment towards cleaner environment, The Spirited New VERNA will offer BS6 Diesel and Petrol engines promising energetic and youthful performance with 1.0 Litre Turbo GDI engine with 7 Dual Clutch Transmission, 1.5 Litre BS6 Petrol with 6 Manual Transmission & Intelligent Variable Transmission and 1.5L BS6 DSL with 6 Manual Transmission & 6 Automatic Transmission,offering Superior Power, Performance and Fuel Efficiency.

Taking the segment benchmarking to next level, The Spirited New VERNA comes with several First-in-Segment features such as the Digital Cluster, Front Ventilated Seats, Twin Tip Muffler design, Smart Trunk, Emergency Stop Signal, Wireless Charger, ECO coating, Luggage Net & Hooks, Rear USB Charger and Arkamys Premium Sound.

A blend of Modern Design, Innovative Technology and unbeatable performance, The Spirited New VERNA is set to mark the beginning of a new era in the Sedan segment.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:52   #29
BHPian

I think expecting 140 HP in a segment where 105 - 115 HP is the norm is not realistic. For a long time Hyundai has lead the segment in terms of power figures with the 1.6 and none of the manufacturer bothered to match their vehicles to that hence it's quite alright to join the band wagon.

The 1.5L Engines will be exactly the same as Creta in terms of both Power & Torque ratings. The 1.0 GDi will be a straight fit from the Venue with exactly the same power rating. Furthermore, even after that Verna will be the most powerful vehicle in it's segment i.e the only Vehicle to have a 115 HP diesel and the GDi will straight up match with the City but the Verna will get an advantage of DCT. Moreover, another thing we ought consider is Verna has been the most Value for Money offering product in it's segment and I am confident that Hyundai wouldn't want to loose that image. The Seltos with 1.4 GDi costs almost 20 Lakhs on road. Whereas, I am sure Verna won't breach the 15 - 16 Lakh on road price as the current Verna diesel top end is around 15.5 Lakhs on road.

We need to understand the brands cater to masses and not the enthusiasts only hence for them all these decisions are going to be from a business perspective.

Last edited by YashD : 10th March 2020 at 13:00.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
It will be the same unit found in the Venue compact SUV developing 100 PS and 172 Nm of peak torque..[/list]
It would be in the same state of tune as the Venue - 120 bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
It make sense if the Verna gets the 1.4 GDI Unit mated with 7DCT same line up as Creta / Seltos.
Quote:
Hyundai has no incentives to plonk the bigger 1.4 TGDi because both Vento & Rapid are getting a 1.0 turbo petrol. Ciaz & City retain their 1.5 NA for which Verna gets the 1.5 NA.

Makes sense to offer the smaller 1.0 turbo to save costs. Hyundai could have offered the 1.4 TGDi as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Creta will be getting a lesser powerful diesel, i read somewhere they will bring 100 PS version of the 1.5 Diesel engine in Verna, same as Venue/next i20.
Creta gets the same 1.5 CRDi as Seltos (115 bhp) and the Verna too will get the same engine.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 10th March 2020 at 12:59.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks