Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2020, 20:26   #1
BANNED

Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel is discontinued. It was removed from the company's website. It was launched in March 2019 and within a short span of not more than an year it is being discontinued. The 1,498cc diesel develops 94 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 225 Nm @ 1,500 - 2,500 rpm.

Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website-ciaz-website-snip-2.png

However, the same 1.5L diesel still appears on Ertiga's website.

Last edited by wheelguy : 17th February 2020 at 20:38.
wheelguy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 20:41   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website

Maruti market share might come down by 10%. They've been lazy and / or misread the market for small diesels.
avdhesh15 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 23:39   #3
BHPian

re: Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website

That's sheer arrogance. I don't know what world they are living in. Honda and Hyundai would definitely capitalize this opportunity. MS are sales leader but not the trendsetters as they think they are. There is considerable demand of diesel engine in the market. Ford and Tata have positioned their diesel cars very strategically. It will certainly help them to gain share in the sales. Not rolling out diesel in Ciaz and Brezza would be a costly mistake that MS will realize soon. 1.5 DDiS was a brilliantly refined engine. Sad that MS have been so lethargic to make it BS6 on time.
uditsharma01 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 07:31   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website

Agreed. No doubt guys, Maruti has been complacent with diesels. First, they took forever to develop their own diesel. Then, it wasn't even BS6-ready in time for the deadline, despite getting ample notice from the government.

However, we can confirm that Maruti is indeed working on the BS6 version of this engine. It is coming, but a bit later. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they plonk it in the Dzire too (even Amaze has a 1.5L diesel).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 07:54   #5
BHPian

Re: Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz 1.5L diesel discontinued; removed from the company's website

Maruti being Maruti, should be knowing the Indian car market better than other brands. They are almost non-existent in other parts of the world and India is their only bet. I would not be surprised if Toyota had a role to play in all these. Toyota after all these years is focusing on volumes, and rebadging is the fastest way to do that.

Maruti might feel that they have enough market share for the "petrol only" experiment, but at this day and age, recovering lost market share would be super tough.
shankha007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:34   #6
BANNED

The result of short sightedness from Maruti. They knew that they can use the Fiat 1.3 till the BS4 era ends, but developed another BS4 engine. Instead, they should have developed the 1.5L engine as BS6 compliant, so that from April 2020 onwards, they could have easily switched to BS6.

They might have over-estimated their bargaining power.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th February 2020 at 10:35.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Despite their short-sightedness or arrogance, whatever you call it, the market is moving fast towards petrols. This trend will only suit them. If you see, none of the cars in their portfolio are heavy nor are they gas guzzlers. Their engines are well known for delivering exceptional FE. I've even noticed a rise in petrol commercial vehicles these days. So customers will continue to queue up in their showrooms.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Instead, they should have developed the 1.5L engine as BS6 compliant, so that from April 2020 onward, they could have easily switched to BS6.
:
The 1.5 Diesel was in response to 1.3 production about to end when BS6 kicked in, I fail to understand why was the engine not made BS6 complaint at the time of launch.
Thereafter, Maruti tried to create hullabaloo regarding the expense in making diesels BS6 complaint and scare the market by virtue of their immense share that Diesels are a gone case. Strangely though, the 1.5 engine was very smooth and tractable, even more than the Honda EarthDreams engine in the City.( Not comparing the 1.6 Hyundai which is the benchmark in the segment in terms of quietness and upper range power developed)

I have a query, does the LI-ion provide any additional torque while accelerating in the Petrol 1.5?
I have driven the petrol 1.5 but could not find any additional power over the 1.4 (till 80-90 kmph or maybe couldn't find any perceptible additional torque/power)
So is the Li-ion Battery below the Co-Driver's seat just ballast to bring the Center of Gavity down?

Regards,

Last edited by HsekarK : 18th February 2020 at 11:54.
HsekarK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 11:40   #9

I guess Maruti is planning different strategy than other manufacturers.
  1. Diesel engines are expensive with BS6 and petrol dominates in small cars
  2. Ertiga and Brezza might move to Toyota, these are the only cars in Maruti Portfolio which sells more diesels than petrol.
  3. Swift Hybrid's claimed mileage is 32 km/l. Maruti might be planning for hybrids for all their cars?
Clearly Maruti shifting to Petrol/Petrol-Hybrid only for future and it is a good strategy
Sree_KL25 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 17:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, we can confirm that Maruti is indeed working on the BS6 version of this engine. It is coming, but a bit later. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they plonk it in the Dzire too (even Amaze has a 1.5L diesel).
I have talked to some friends at Maruti. According to them it's at least 2 years away.

Maruti has not been proactive this time and this is going to cost them a lot. I have met more people who liked swift and dzire diesel better than their petrol counterparts. Discontinuing diesel in small cars is still forgivable but not in the bigger cars like ciaz, brezza and s-cross where mileage may not be a selling point anymore for them. It's not that easy to take back the lost market share.
PrashantPahwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:27   #11
BHPian

I think, MS has some information which other players don't have. They have delayed announcing their Diesel vehicle portfolio.

Maybe (Speculation) Diesel fuel price in BS6 version would be equal to petrol price or Diesel vehicles would be taxed more (15 to 20% more).
Sri Vathsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean Ertiga diesel will also be discontinued ? That would be a great gift for Mahindra. Very few would want a petrol MPV. With 7 seated not even Suzuki will be able to provide a good FE.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 20:41   #13
BHPian

What a disaster! This is unprecedented for any organization. They had no tricks up their sleeve and they now have to watch the competition from the sidelines for a few months. The dealers will not take this lying down and will demand compensation for the lost sales. I think its a good time to recap this post by blackwasp in july 2019 (Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)). Almost all of its predictions are coming good.
Old 18th February 2020, 23:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Report says it is still with Ertiga. Does this mean they took it out from lacklustre demand for sedan segment of Ciaz?

I read it once this Diesel engine of theirs were refined to a great extent. Perhaps they should consider it and enter BS6 era soon.
Old 19th February 2020, 04:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Report says it is still with Ertiga. Does this mean they took it out from lacklustre demand for sedan segment of Ciaz?
I think they've not yet exhausted stocks of the Ertiga. Can't big daddy Toyota bail MSIL out of this situation?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 19th February 2020 at 04:01.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks