Honda Accord VTi-L 252 45.65%
Skoda Octavia RS 300 54.35%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2004, 18:57   #46
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Ok..very very difficult choice to make & have been observing others decision. But I still would go with Accord coz at 15lakhs I want a car thats also comfortable a the back. Plus the Octy doesn't look sporty enough to me. Its more like a no nonsense design..no excitement in it. Maybe I'm not the best person to judge the cars having not driven either of them. Also like Rudra mentioned Accord would have better resale compared to the Octavia.
Old 6th September 2004, 12:06   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I don't know the price in Bangalore But should be close to 19 lacs. Thanks to our state taxing.
Hey Rudra, are you sure you got that right or is it a typo?? I dont see how even with a heap of taxes the price would increase 5 lakhs! The on-road price in Mumbai is 14.5 or so, and I always thought we had the highest prices in India.

Can you confirm on that?

Rt
Old 6th September 2004, 12:36   #48
Team-BHP Support

Hey rtech.
Sorry about the wrong price I mentioned earlier.
Bangalore on road price for RS is 15.70.929/-
Just got the info from TAFE.
Thanks
Old 6th September 2004, 16:10   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ Sep. 05 2004,15:18)]Colour is OK then but not the price
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]are you sure you got that right
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Sorry about the wrong price I mentioned earlier.
hmmm... so one more vote for the RS then? or has GTO really converted u to a honda lover?

cya
R

Old 6th September 2004, 16:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

Hey, i love honda's....but in this case, I prefer the Rs to the Accord.

Now if we had the european version of the Accord, i would have to change my vote!

Rt
Old 6th September 2004, 17:42   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ Sep. 06 2004,15:17)]Now if we had the european version of the Accord, i would have to change my vote!
Revvmaster just saw one in bombay yesterday.... was a consulate car though!
Old 6th September 2004, 18:02   #52
BHPian

OCTI RS .. for strong european looks. also shld say somehow like the european cars compared to the jap/kor counter part
Old 6th September 2004, 18:11   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ Sep. 06 2004,14:40)]hmmm... so one more vote for the RS then? or has GTO really converted u to a honda lover?
Not really . But I think Accord should fetch a better resale price. Also, aren't Skoda going to stop this model by next year?
Think somebody was telling me.
Old 6th September 2004, 18:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Quote (rtech @ Sep. 06 2004,15:17)
Now if we had the european version of the Accord, i would have to change my vote!

Revvmaster just saw one in bombay yesterday.... was a consulate car though!
yea, I had seen one a long time ago...fell in love with it then! I just love the sharp looks instead of the saggy rear the US accord has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But I think Accord should fetch a better resale price. Also, aren't Skoda going to stop this model by next year?
Rudra, I don't know how much weight this has, but in this month's Overdrive, they mention the Octy as having the best resale value. Ofcourse, they were talking about the TDi here. And yes, the Accord would hold its value better.

BTW, a lot of ppl keep saying that the current Octy is gonna be discontinued by 2005, I really don't think the new Octi is gonna land in India in 2005. I would look at it arriving maybe in the second half of 2006 at the earliest. We had talked about it here

Rt
Old 8th September 2004, 13:30   #55
Team-BHP Support

2:1 octy over accord. this IS a surprise even for an Octy guy like me. I figured my needs (smaller car) were special. I actually chose the Octy over the Accord because it is smaller! I have driven the Accord (to poona and vapi and places like that) and it is a great family car. How many of you considered the Octy as a family car?

lastly even if Skoda were to discontinue the current model in 2006 the 150bhp Octy engine might still be around. It will still have takers. Unless ofcourse Corolla and others get into a bhp war. This I doubt. Of my friends most (6) chose the Corolla E/G over the Octy (Jap reliabity they said), another took an Elantra (a Hyundai fan - he traded in his Tornado), one prefered the Optra with the DVD player (Value for money he says) and still another prefered a Sonata (big car he said). Not one Octy in my building (52 flats, 100+ cars) yet. Funny these are guys who claimed to refined, pretend to be REAL drivers, (all are 40+) etc; and the most common marque is a Hyundai (Accents galore)!!! Hyundai's VFM spiel seems to overpower all other senses.
Old 8th September 2004, 13:54   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ Sep. 08 2004,12:00)]lastly even if Skoda were to discontinue the current model in 2006 the 150bhp Octy engine might still be around. It will still have takers.
Sorry mate - great engine but now dated, now replaced by the FSI engine
Old 8th September 2004, 14:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Funny these are guys who claimed to refined, pretend to be REAL drivers, (all are 40+) etc; and the most common marque is a Hyundai (Accents galore)!!! Hyundai's VFM spiel seems to overpower all other senses.
Lol! So true. A lot of people may say one thing, but when it comes to actually putting their money on the table, they do the complete opposite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]How many of you considered the Octy as a family car?
***raises hand in air*** I do! Look, if your family consists of 2 ppl who are 5.9 and one who is 5.3, the skoda is perfect. I will be explaining the thought process that went into buying the Skoda in my review of it soon.

Rt
Old 8th September 2004, 15:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

guys read in overdrive ,that the same engine will power the audi tt,so in 2006,if the enigne gets replaced,will the new engine come to the tt too,
??

another thing, this month's od was great!!!! far better than aci
Old 8th September 2004, 15:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Have they tested the RS in this months OD? If so, then whats it's 0-150kmph time?

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 8th September 2004, 18:20   #60
Team-BHP Support

ajmat, when will the FSI get to India? 2006? 2007? agreed the FSI is a great machine but i think in terms of the indian scene where FE, reliability (that usually means jap), VFM etc..score over driveability in purchase decisions i dont expect the FSI or equivalent to come here soon. for example i dont see toyota bringing in a 200bhp version of the corolla. and if you want to upgrade your RS to 180hp that can be done via a tuning kit (I am told). sorry for being vague in my earlier post.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed