Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, not so much. Ambassadors are super rare in any city, except Kolkata. The Padmini is a dying breed too. We had thought of including them, but the number / sightings just didn't support it.
Agree. My garage as of today. But none of them deserve to be a cockroach.
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-img_20200216_1025162.jpg

We have cockroaches too at home - WagonR and Alto. Running perfectly fine with regular maintenance even after ages. Same is not the case with the above cars.
arun1100 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:27   #62
BHPian

I think Chevrolet Tavera and Tata Sumo would qualify as two top contenders in this list. The Innova has replaced most of them in the cities, but in rural areas these are still found in great numbers. These two are really a people carrier and most of them are still running full on with multiples of lakhs on the odometer. The Tavera would have been one of the most successful model on the Chevrolet portfolio with taxi operators opting for big sized carriers within a budget.The Sumo had that iconic and rugged SUV image during it's initial stages with very less competition around. Even when I was a kid, I remember turning my head everytime a Sumo went past me and even dreamed of owning one someday. Every year during the Sabarimala pilgrimage season in Kerala, both these cars can be seen in large numbers coming from nearby states in full capacity doing interstate trips without breaking a sweat.
stormdRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 09:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

I had the pleasure of owning what I think qualifies as a cockroach: present everywhere, keeps going
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-screen-shot-20200223-8.24.38-pm.png  

rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 10:35   #64
BHPian

When it comes to two wheeler's nothing could beat TVS XL Super!

This one continuously thriving on Indian roads from ages, carrying all sorts of luggage. Real heavy duty cockroach!

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-bl07_p5_moped.jpg

Image Source.
Nempuguru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:35   #65
BHPian

I would like to include the 1st Gen Swift too (referring to the gen-1 design with either G or K engine). They are still seen aplenty on Bangalore roads with many being tastefully modified. My own specimen still going strong after 10 years and still makes me look back after I park it everytime
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-img_6157-1.jpeg
Anduril is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:21   #66
BHPian

I would definitely nominate the Maruti 800 and its younger sibling the Alto to this Cockroach Hall of Fame! Eventhough the 800 is extremely old, some specimens can still be seen on tbe roads. It refuses to die! It brings nostalgic feeling too because it was the harbinger of 'modern' cars in India.
Old 13th April 2020, 16:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Nice topic and nice list from everybody.

The below car may frown many, but is quite a resilient cockroach that will continue to hog our streets for many years to come.

Attachment 1971634
Courtesy - Bhpian Greenhorn's gallery

No wonder there are long term ownership threads such as this (Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond) and this that have gone past 25 pages.
I recall riding in an indicab with almost 3 lakh km on the odo. Run by a pair of driver brothers for the call center that I worked for then. They used to drive them in 12 hours shifts each. Basically running the car continuously except for service. The basic oil and filter changes and other routine things where handled by the brothers themselves before the scheduled time. The car did not yet have, nor need an engine rebuild. They were just waiting for the odo to reach an even 3 lakh km before exchanging it for a new one.
JagMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 20:44   #68
BHPian

I would really like to nominate the Chevrolet Tavera over here. 2 Taveras used to run in our office for pick up and drop of officers. These machines have gone through numerous speed breakers, infinit bad roads but the car seems to be sturdy without a single squeak inside even after 3 lakh kilometers. I apologize I do not have the odometer reading but would really like to share pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-img20170516wa0003.jpg  

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-img20190920wa0004.jpg  

gaurav.kokra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 22:09   #69
BHPian

I would like to add an old model Zen in the list, still runs perfect.

Nobody can dislike the looks of this car with it's planted stance and it's compact dimensions. One of the best compact car which still been using everywhere in India.

This is our 2004 model Zen Lxi .
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-screenshot_20200316183414__01.jpg  

Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 08:15   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Till a few years back, it was the 1st-gen Honda City. Now, the 3rd-gen Honda City is like the cockroach of Indian roads. They refuse to die! I see so many 2009 - 2010 cars that are now 13-14 years old, but still in surprisingly good shape with happy owners.

I see more 3rd-gen Citys in Mumbai than the 4th-gen.

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-20230424-22.39.16.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic.

Meet the two future cockroaches. One already is, at a global level. We got it now though.

Mods : Can we have a thread on this? The present day modern cars that exhibits the "cockroach" traits. I'm afraid the list wouldn't grow as much as we see in this thread. I can think of these two.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-images.jpeg127.jpg  

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-images.jpeg126.jpg  

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-20230425_091020.jpg  

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-images.jpeg125.jpg  

Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-hilux.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th April 2023 at 09:16.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:43   #72
BHPian

I vouch for the Corolla Altis as I own a 2011 model with 1.5 lakhs on the odometer. Although it has a strange knocking when driven in daytime in hot summer months, my family members refused to approve many cars that I test drove with them. The cars rejected by them includes cars costing upto 40 lakhs. The main reason for their rejection is the comfort they have in the rear seat particularly in the highways, they accompany me. My aunts and uncles who ride on my car have been yelling at my cousins that their cars is not upto the mark! It looks really good even now. It gives a mileage of anywhere between 15-18 in highways where it is driven the most. It has taken me to almost all hill stations in TN KL KA.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car is the "cockroach" of Indian roads?-46d30c834df34996ad071d1fcd061f1c.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks