Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Downgrading of Indian Cars post the BS6 era

In the last two decades, the Indian automobile scene has rapidly evolved and we have got better looking vehicles with improved performance, efficiency and features. From the implementation of BS-6 engines by 1 April 2020, several automobile manufacturers have launched their vehicles in BS-6 avatar but in the process, we've lost some features and a few brilliant engines which most of cherish driving behind the wheel had to be axed. Still, certain companies give utter disregard to safety and expect customers to pay a bomb only for their features and looks.

I'll mention a list which will focus of what features and engines are being omitted:

Maruti:
  • Stopped diesel engine production
  • Lack of more safety features such as 6 airbags, ESP
  • Not Value For Money any more

Hyundai
  • Variants and features mismatch(Ex: No Rear wiper on SX version of Venue and no Hill Hold/ESP in AT variants)
  • Expensive for the price to features and performance ratio

Volkswagen
  • No Diesel Engines for India post BS-6
  • Discontinuing 1.2 TSI engine

Ford
  • First gave Sync 3 on most of its cars and now they have downgraded to Fly Audio in EcoSport, Aspire and Freestyle
  • Constant Feature shuffling(within the waiting period from booking to delivery of your car, this happens every month or two)
  • Removal of AT in Figo as well as downgraded Titanium variant
  • Discontinuing 3.2L TDCi and 1.0 EcoBoost. 2L Twin turbo might make up for the 3.2L TDCi

Renault
  • Plans to discontinue 1.5 dci and no future plans of diesel engine.
  • 1.3L turbo petrol would be interesting!

Two Wheeler brands: Detuning power and torque figures. Though addition of Fuel Injection is a welcome move after a long time.

I feel that manufacturers could have made a few changes for the erstwhile engines though at a small premium and give features that are relevant in today's times. Nowadays, people would not mind spending a little more for better performance/drivability and for safety features.

If anyone has more points to share, you can add it to the thread itself. Some may feel that I'm nipt icking but as consumers, we're being taken for a ride by auto makers. Mods can shift or delete this thread if a related thread already exists.

Last edited by jithin23 : 20th February 2020 at 16:13. Reason: added content
jithin23 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Downgrading of Indian Cars post the BS6 era

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
Old 21st February 2020, 09:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

2019/2020 seem to be sort of a double whammy for the Indian automotive industry with a global push towards EVs causing a reduced focus on IC engine development and the BS6 norms. Hence, a perceived lack of commitment on getting the latest technology to India.

That said, I feel this will be a temporary phase as manufacturers try to reduce exposure and risk. Once the dust settles post April '20, there will be more clarity on the impact of the increased prices, not just due to the cars but even BS6 fuel, and customer willingness to pay. We might see better rationalization of features and possibility of more engine options. ICE aren't going anywhere from India in the short/medium term; so, there is enough potential.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 11:50   #4
MSC
BHPian

Small correction.
Hyundai Venue has Electronic Stability Program, Hill Hold Assist in SX version in DCT version. Infact the DCT version of S as well as SX have ESP and Hill Hold Assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Downgrading of Indian Cars post the BS6 era-screenshot_202002211143292.png  

MSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 13:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Small correction.
Hyundai Venue has Electronic Stability Program, Hill Hold Assist in SX version in DCT version. Infact the DCT version of S as well as SX have ESP and Hill Hold Assist.
Thankfully at least now they're giving these safety features but the more expensive Creta AT and lower AT variants of Seltos doesn't get it

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st February 2020 at 16:08. Reason: Typo corrected
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:16   #6
MSC
BHPian

If I am not wrong these were present earlier also. The data is from Hyundai India website which still pertains to earlier BS4 version. It hasn't been updated yet to new standards.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has never provided 6 airbags in any of their cars in India. For them safety was never an option.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Maruti Suzuki has never provided 6 airbags in any of their cars in India. For them safety was never an option.
Is that so? Well then have I got news for my fellow Team bhp member. Please search for this car called 'Kizashi' (for number of airbags). Brochure attached for your reference if you are actually interested.

As for safety itself, how about Grand vitara, the current Brezza put up a decent show at GNCAP too.

I understand that Maruti rightfully deserves some hate for the products they offer. Which is exactly why they are not on my shopping list (despite my mom asking me why I can't just simply get my cousin's blue car...it's a Baleno). But try to keep your personal bias out of our forum discussions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maruti-Kizashi-449.pdf (2.38 MB, 277 views)

Last edited by JithinR : 21st February 2020 at 17:33.
JithinR is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 19:01   #9
BHPian

Seriously, omissions of Sync3 from Figo triplets are just shocking. Even S-Presso now comes with Android Auto / Apple Car play.

I guess if their Fly Audio setup at least supported Android Auto / Apple Car Play, people wouldn't have made so much noise as if removing some features can keep the price at par with BS4, people may not have mind.

Last of all, why can't we have option packs like Europe or North American market gets? Sure, there is a huge logistical challenge to build cars as per every individual order & delay associated with that, but they can surely plan ahead & remove some cost cutting features that can be added later at dealership level with relatively less complications.
NaXal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 21:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Last of all, why can't we have option packs like Europe or North American market gets? Sure, there is a huge logistical challenge to build cars as per every individual order & delay associated with that, but they can surely plan ahead & remove some cost cutting features that can be added later at dealership level with relatively less complications.
Actually this option can be considered by manufacturers because a typical car would be delivered within 1-2 months from booking date and in some cases 3-4 months for high demand cars. So people can also be sure of what features they exactly would use on a daily basis rather than giving custom accessories only. This way, it would be a complete car as per the individual's perception.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 00:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
.... Please search for this car called 'Kizashi' (for number of airbags).....
Jithin, Kizashi was a CBU one right? I guess that was not even a CKD one. And I absolutely agree on the Baleno one. I have a requirement to replace my 13 year old Indica Xeta and I was forced to look at Maruti stable. However, I am unable to convince myself with anyone. At the same time, the offerings from others stables are no more VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks