Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: The max km you are comfortable with, when buying used?
<25,000 km 179 27.58%
26,000 - 49,000 km 319 49.15%
50,000 - 74,000 km 70 10.79%
75,000 - 99,000 km 16 2.47%
I'm okay with 100,000+ km cars 65 10.02%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th February 2020, 10:13   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Used Cars: Your upper limit for the km / odometer reading

I voted for the 26,000 to 49,000 KM's category.

I feel this is especially true in the Indian context given the condition of our roads. The increased wear and tear caused due to this, can/may be responsible for the higher costs of maintenance incurred. And the one thing I just can't risk is getting stranded due to an unreliable automobile.

But when a country with great roads is taken into account, I am very comfortable going for cars with more than 100,000 kms on the odo. I had learned my driving on a pre-owned 92' Lexus LS400 which had around 150,000 kms on the odo in the UAE. Still have a lot of fond memories of that 4.0L 250HP V8 motor. The car was used quite a lot by my Dad and it was an impeccable ownership experience

Ofcourse, one can also argue about certain cars which have a very high reputation for reliability. A Toyota or a Lexus, in my experience is built for life. And here's me, still waiting for Lexus to launch something more fun but at a sane price point
Old 24th February 2020, 10:41   #47
BHPian

Did not vote, because I have come across white board cars which have been used like a cab. The cars belong to business men and their acquaintances. So, beside of number of KMs, number of years should also be added while choosing a car. In one year, these cars have traveled 30K+ KMs and in our road conditions that's enough to bring it to a shabby state.
Old 24th February 2020, 11:08   #48
BHPian

It really depends on the specific car in question and more importantly, service history.

For instance, if it is a tata nano 2011, I know from experience that the drive shaft bearings and shock absorbers start leaking at around 20k kms and usually goes unchecked because it is unexpected. Also, the puny tyres give up at around 30-35k kms. I would much rather buy a nano that has done 12-15k than a 50k driven one.

For a petrol sedan, buying at 40-50k kms has serious cost implications. 60k kms is usually a costly service with plugs, belts and tyres on their way out. I would much rather buy a 55-65k driven sedan with all this work done than do it myself. First owners typically sell it after this big service (I was one such idiot with my first car).
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 11:13   #49
BHPian

No more than 30,000 kms for me. Our roads are really bad and you just don't know how the car has been driven. Less than 30k kms and a full service history is what makes it tick for me. Great value in terms of cost and an almost-new car

Picked up a Honda City six months back, with around 29,000 kms on the odo for half the cost of a new one (same variant). Similarly, my previous cars were bought at 27,000 kms and 16,000 kms on the odo.

Might have to re-consider the 30,000 kms rule if I'm ever in the market for a used Innova or Fortuner though. :P
Old 24th February 2020, 11:17   #50
BHPian

It is hard to say.

As many others pointed out, there is no holy figure that ensures the condition of a predriven machine.

I have bought a preowned swift (P) 2008 model in 2013 , which was driven for 66000 km. I am nearing 110000 km and the car still brings smile to my face when I take off from the signals. Apart from minor niggles and stuff, the car runs like a dream.

The number on the mileage is more of a psychological reprieve for an unknown car. If you like a car, then regardless of its mileage, it is wise to take an opinion of FNG before jumping the ship. And after that, it is all luck.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:18   #51
BHPian

Interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up. I voted for <25,000 kms as one feels mentally at least that the car is still new and fresh. Though it basically depends on how the car is actually driven and maintained by the previous owner. You may also find pre-owned cars with mileage between 26,000 - 49,000 kms that are actually better maintained and drive smoothly than cars with less mileage.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:33   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Do we need another poll option: "I'm okay with 100,000 km Toyotas "?
I might soon be on the lookout for a Land Cruiser and I won't hesitate buying a well looked after 100 series, even if it crosses the 150,000 km mark, so long as it has a service history & has no rust on it.
Kamran Mohsin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 12:45   #53
BHPian

I have voted for < 25,000 kms, this is especially for cars sold in India. It is not just the odo reading but also cars which are less than 5 years due to road and traffic conditions as wear and tear will be more. However, if I were in US, I wouldn’t mind buying a Honda or Toyota which has clocked 100 k miles. I did own an Accord which had 60 k + miles and one of my friends recently bought a Camry which has 150 k miles / 14 years old. It looks and runs great…!!!
Carz77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:00   #54
BHPian

<3 years and <25000 kms for me, strictly. Benefits -
You can easily find examples purchased under company car lease policy
Generally well maintained
Chances of being second car in the house - purchased primarily for tax saving purpose
Less usage and justified price - typically 60% of the original value
Old 24th February 2020, 13:00   #55
BHPian

My preference always will be to buy a car with less than 50,000kms but I won't think too much about buying cars with >1,00,000kms. The decision will mainly depend on the car model and also the service history. We always buy used cars (bought and sold over 12 cars in the last 10 years) and the car with the highest mileage when bought was Qualis (1,75,000). The best part was that was this was the most troublefree car and we sold it at 3,75,000kms and made a profit

My last purchase was a very well maintained X-trail T30 with 98,000kms on the odo (a big gamble) for a very low price (with respect to the power, space and features). This car completed over 30,000kms already (never stopped anywhere) and working awesome. Yes, am fine to buy cars with over 1,00,000kms (a lot of terms and conditions apply )
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:09   #56
BHPian

If the city is big like Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Pune, Hyderabad etc.
12000kms/year or less of running is considered ideal.

A tier 2 city car can be considered with odo reading in range of 8000-10000 Kms/year.

I do feel cars older than five years should not be preferred.

Hence that limits to 60K kms at Tier 1 city and 50K kms for tier 2 city.
Old 24th February 2020, 13:47   #57

Dear BHPians, I have experience of buying two preowned cars in past two years. The first one is XUV500, it was 86K on the odometer when I bought it from a fellow bhpian in May 2018 (I was not a member of this forum then). The XUV500 has clocked more than 150K and still going great. The other one was a Grand i10 2016 1.1 CRDi, the car gave me multiple issues in few months after the purchase and the prominent one was low oil pressure light which was getting on in lower rpm . It was not rectified despite multiple visits to the service center. Finally, I gave that in exchange to Tata for a Tiago XZ 1.2 (P) in last November. So the conclusion, I will buy a car from a bhpian even if it has crossed more than 100000 km (of course after considering test drive and service history) but never from others.
Old 24th February 2020, 14:25   #58
BHPian

As SS-Traveller stated on this thread earlier, I don't trust odometer readings.

The first item I check for is how the car feels to drive.

Service / maintenance history, if available, comes next.

Cosmetics, last !

I have had fantastic experiences with cars which had clocked well over 100K kilometers, but had been fastidiously maintained mechanically and had clean interiors.

Scratches on the exterior are only to be expected in bumper to bumper traffic in typcial Indian cities.

But I walk away, if I find corrosion damage, unrealistic expectations on part of the owner.

Last edited by bikertillidie : 24th February 2020 at 14:29. Reason: Typo
Old 24th February 2020, 14:39   #59

Hello,

Voted for the 26,000 to 49,000 category. Although I would prefer the lower end of option.

I have only purchased 1 used car in my life, and that is my current car, a 2012 Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI MT.
I saw the ad on T-BHP classifieds and went to see the car after a few days. The car was maintained really well, the engine and gearbox were really smooth even though there was 71xxx on the odometer. Full service history was available on the Skoda App.
It has been 4.5 months since the purchase (purchased on October 4th, 2019) and I have not faced any issues with the mechanicals. 3 issues I have faced so far are :
1) ABS error light came up in November 2019. Skoda service center checked and said speed sensor on right front was not working, replaced.
2) ABS error light came up in February 2020. Didn't take it to Skoda, instead took it to Chaudary Car Clinic in JP Nagar 2nd Phase, which had good reviews on line and also some one had advised it on an earlier thread. This place is just a kilometer from my home. Speed sensor on front left was not working, replaced.
3) Issue came up a few days ago, fuel flap not opening when car is unlocked. Again took it to Chaudary Car Clinic and it was found that the flap lock is stuck in locked position and is not opening, however the current is passing to the lock. Need to be replaced tomorrow. Fortunately, it opened when I was at a bunk and topped the tank up.

Other than these no issue, I am taking these in my stride as it still has a fair amount of life left in it, and is a joy to drive around.
What do you guys think?
Right decision, wrong decision? Let me know!

Regards,
BR
Old 24th February 2020, 14:47   #60

I have voted for 26,000 - 49,000 km category, even though my opinion is that it will be dependent on the Brand and class of the vehicle I am looking at.

if it is an Innova or Fortuner it will be impossible to get one under 30000KM. The list price will be as good as the new one.

but if it had to be a german sedan, I will never buy anything more than 49K clocked. More than the ODO readings, I will prefer to buy one under warranty.

Most Viewed