Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2020, 15:33   #61
BHPian

Re: Indians use too big a car to move a single person: Pawan Goenka

Yeah I don't think my Tiago is large enough when I can access all doors if I stretch my hand, and need to push the seat almost all the way back so I can sit comfortably. Sorry, Mr. Goenka, I'm not selling it for a single seater pod car anyday.

Last edited by SaiSW : 12th April 2020 at 15:39.
Old 12th April 2020, 16:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Nano

Public transport is still a mess in our country, specially during the office hours. Safety is another concern too.
Using a two wheeler is always a good option, but it depends on the weather. During monsoon or peak summer it might get tricky.

To reduce pollution there are now some popular app's like S-Ride or similar, which allow one person to share his car with others and in return he earns some money.
Completely agree on the public transport infrastructure in India. For a city like Bangalore with an average population of 10 million people, Only 5600-6000 buses are there that too not covering all the areas of the city. Heck in my locality one can hardly spot a bus in 2 hours and in rural areas, it's worse.

Coming to ride sharing, Karnataka RTO or IMV rules do not permit private vehicle owners to use their vehicles for ride sharing. Worse is cops will harass you more if they know that you're ride sharing. It's high time that the government provides us better mobility options and update the rules rather than increasing the taxes on vehicles and its maintenance yearly.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 20:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

From a product perspective, a small car would work in India if it had the following points IMO

1) Extremely stylish and made a style statement (Like a Mercedes ForTwo)
2) Very fuel efficient (30+ kmpl)
3) Highway capable and should take you on a Mumbai - Bangalore or a Mumbai-Leh trip too. Most people won't' do such long distances but when they buy a car, they would always think, can our car do all this? A yes to this is a big plus
4) Should have all the creature comforts, a stylish interior, a big touch screen (10 inch plus), a digital instrument cluster, cruise control, sequential shift lights on the steering, airbags, cooled seats, cooled glovebox, HUD, mood lighting etc etc)
5) An Automatic gearbox with 6 speed, the manual should be 6 speed too
6) It should not be a cheap car as a small cheap car is a deadly horrible combination, this should cost around 8 to 9 lakhs.

Bring in something radical, give it amazing features, performance and mileage, Indians will buy as this will become a statement. I can imagine this selling 20-30 thousand units a month and with adoption a lot more.

PS: As a Product Manager in the OTT industry, I have applied the principle of first defining the'What' and then when that is fixed, figuring out the how.

Last edited by humyum : 12th April 2020 at 20:46.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 02:42   #64
BHPian

I beg to differ from what Mr. G stated in his statements.

I would like to ask him this, a country (India) where the top 10 best selling cars include, Wagon R, Celerio, Alto, I20, Nexon and some more with comparable sizes. Add to this, the best selling "suvs" Creta, Seltos, Brezza or Duster. Best selling "sedans" are Amaze, Dzire, Xcent. Now tell me by what margin are you saying that Indians use too much of real estate on the roads to carry their 65 kgs rear ends. These all best selling cars are one of the smallest in their segments!! Compare countries, USA, best selling cars include Toyota Camry, Honda Accord which are the small segment sedans there, Ford F series trucks again the best selling pickups, which will make even a BMW X5 look dwarf in front of it. Come to Vans, the best selling include Honda Odyssey, Ford Transit, are they even comparable in size to our homegrown Omni .

Enter into the taxi/cab department. Has this Mr. G ever seen a Force Trax/Cruiser or a Chevy Tavera plying on our dilapidated roads? A car marketed as a 8-11 seater can easily be seen seating 15+ .

It's not the Fortuner's, Endeavour's, Crysta's or the newly launched Carnival that make our streets look crowded or jammed. It's the whole 130Cr+ human resources of this country that help make it streets look like what it is today!

What we need is not small cars, but more roads!
na_agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks