Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 10:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon gets a more powerful 1.2L Petrol engine

Kudos to Tata. We always as enthusiasts blame the manufacturer for not bringing in reasonably powerful / safe cars to our market. Now the manufacturer has done their part. It's up to the market to acknowledge them. And the Nexon is one of the best product in that segment and if the market responds well to it, that will enable other manufacturers to change their marketing decisions to bring good cars to India .

Otherwise, we keep getting Tin-cans from Maruti like always. But I don't blame them. They are just serving the market needs.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 14:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
This is excellent news. Which some other manufacturers are busy downgrading their engines or even cars (looking at you, VW, Ford), Tata is looking to improve its offerings. I think we often fault Tata for improving its products after a while, claiming it used initial adopters as guinea pigs or beta testers but at least Tata is willing to make up on its shortcomings. Which other manufacturer can one say that about?
Hello Kia, Hyundai.
It baffles the mind that they are selling 20l cars that dish out only 115bhp. Waiting for the long warranty period to get over before I remap my seltos
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 18:01   #18
BHPian

I think this is an excellent move from TATA.
But the real part is how they can attract more customers. Even if they are spreading a lot of ads regarding safety, the five stars they got, etc, common people always think like whether they will get good service, availability of spares, costs of ownership, etc. I think those are the points where they are lagging a bit. But nowadays new dealerships are coming like in Trivandrum Derik Motors started their TATA showroom. So hopefully things will get better for TATA.

I own a Suzuki car and I am happy with it even if people bash it as a tin-can .
I have previously owned two tin-cans as well and they never gave me any kind of headaches both in terms of performance or service.
SJQIL87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 19:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJQIL87 View Post
I own a Suzuki car and I am happy with it even if people bash it as a tin-can .
I have previously owned two tin-cans as well and they never gave me any kind of headaches both in terms of performance or service.
That's just it, the experience of owning a Suzuki car is generally good. They're feature packed, offer great FE and the peace of mind of owning one is unparalleled. The A.S.S is excellent and that's a big part of our experience. Having fallen to similar allure of Maruti cars, I too happen to own a couple. But that's the thing about safety, you don't really feel like you need it - until you suddenly do.

Recently on a highway drive in the evening, my father found himself in a pickle. He was driving at 80, suddenly on a curvy section of the road, a man came running in front of his car. He could either save the person and risk hitting the divider, or risk hitting the person. Thankfully he came out of that safely as the person (who must've been drunk/wasted) suddenly ran back. But I shudder to think what could've happened that evening. Since then, I've been on the lookout for appropriate substitutes for my Suzuki cars, even if it means downgrading on the segment.

You won't feel like the "safety" aspect of a car is in play, until it suddenly as and you wish you had a safer car, if not for yourself then most definitely for your loved ones.
RoadMonkey is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 19:34   #20
BANNED

Tata is doing a fantastic job by producing the safest cars around; their vehicles are very well designed these days and match up to the competition in every way.
Dealers and service centers are a mixed bag for all brands; I have had good and bad experiences with various brands.
Unfortunately for Tata, too many people have ideas about how their company should go forward and strategize but don't buy Tata cars because of perceived image.
The Nexon's engine developing more power is very welcome and is on par with the best. The base petrol XE is superbly priced and has all the safety features that the other variants have.
Well done Tata.
fiestarry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 22:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Tata Nexon is now available with a more powerful 1.2-litre petrol engine.

Attachment 1973620

The Tata Nexon facelift was launched with BS6 compliant engines in January 2020. At the time, the car was offered with a 1.2-litre, turbocharged petrol engine producing 108 BHP and 170 Nm. The new engine makes 118 BHP @ 5,500 rpm, while torque remains the same at 170 Nm @ 1,750-4,000 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News
The thought of 10 additional horses pulling this car in sport mode, would bring a big grin to anyone who has driven the BS4 version.

What’s next Tata? A four cylinder petrol engine
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 00:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

The power bump was required to counter-balance the increase in back pressure from the usage of a larger catalytic converter and rear muffler.

What potential BS-6 Nexon owners would appreciate is that the low end tuning has been further optimised, hence bottom end throttle response and driveability has improved.

Also, that sometimes, nasty "hic-cough-ing" tendency of BS-4 Nexon's, due to aggressive fuel "tip-out" has been all but eliminated.

Its a fine car overall, but the engine still cant match the Ford Ecoboost for sheer "peppiness" of throttle response!
arjab is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 18:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The power bump was required to counter-balance the increase in back pressure from the usage of a larger catalytic converter and rear muffler.

What potential BS-6 Nexon owners would appreciate is that the low end tuning has been further optimised, hence bottom end throttle response and driveability has improved.

Also, that sometimes, nasty "hic-cough-ing" tendency of BS-4 Nexon's, due to aggressive fuel "tip-out" has been all but eliminated.

Its a fine car overall, but the engine still cant match the Ford Ecoboost for sheer "peppiness" of throttle response!
What is the estimated mileage with these extra 10 horses? I have some plans cooking for Nexon in this year and hence the query. BS4 Nexon was not reported to have great city mileage (something similar to EcoSport Petrol or may be new Brezza Petrol, both Naturally Aspired). According to me there will not be any improvement. I am a hardcore TATA fan and need some solid reasons to consider new Nexon over Maruti or Ford (price is surely the biggest one already), but yeah I need to TD all three and make my mind. Any suggestions?

Quote:
That's just it, the experience of owning a Suzuki car is generally good. They're feature packed, offer great FE and the peace of mind of owning one is unparalleled. The A.S.S is excellent and that's a big part of our experience. Having fallen to similar allure of Maruti cars, I too happen to own a couple. But that's the thing about safety, you don't really feel like you need it - until you suddenly do.

You won't feel like the "safety" aspect of a car is in play, until it suddenly as and you wish you had a safer car, if not for yourself then most definitely for your loved ones.
Well said and I too am in the same stable of owning Marutis. My Ertiga is not the heartect one and is OKish. But the other one I have is Tiago bought last year after exchanging my 2013 Santro Xing. Considering among EcoSport, Brezza and Nexon, I will prefer Nexon but the NA vs. Turbo charged engine makes a big difference, I may be wrong since have never owned a Turbo charged car. Nexon owners can help me here and if the new Nexon is going to be good for me, I will not look back at other two.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 28th February 2020 at 18:34.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 18:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Considering among EcoSport, Brezza and Nexon, I will prefer Nexon but the NA vs. Turbo charged engine makes a big difference, I may be wrong since have never owned a Turbo charged car. Nexon owners can help me here and if the new Nexon is going to be good for me, I will not look back at other two.
I too am facing a similar conundrum, and it's hard to look past the thrill of driving a Ford. I also have a soft spot for Ford. More than mileage considerations, it's the ride quality that's tipping the scales in favor of Nexon for me. It's a heart vs head thing, heart says Ford, head says Nexon. EcoSport offers 6 airbags and the build is good, so the safety aspect is on par with Nexon anyway. I think TD will decide which one to go for, I've also heard good things about Nexon's driving dynamics.
Old 29th February 2020, 00:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
What is the estimated mileage with these extra 10 horses?
My 2019 petrol Nexon returns 10.5kmpl in moderate traffic, 9.1kmpl in maddening traffic conditions and 15.9kmpl during highway runs ( speeds below 120 kmph in 6th). Over 120kmph or sustained 120-125kmph, fuel consumption falls to 13.8-14.4kmpl
All figures calculated on a tankfull to tankfull basis , on regular grade fuel. Fuel dispenser set at auto cutoff

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th February 2020 at 00:35. Reason: Typo.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 05:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
EcoSport offers 6 airbags and the build is good, so the safety aspect is on par with Nexon anyway.
I would not assume that, without an NCAP rating for Indian made and sold Ecosport. AFAIK, there is no rating available for Indian Ecosport. There have been multiple models from all stables having airbags but not scoring well on the tests! Look at Punto and Duster, both look and feel solidly built, but scored a 0 on NCAP. Also looking at the new Nexon it almost has every feature I need! Maruti or does not hold a candle to the audio system in Nexon, the most used feature in any city car!!! Just my 2 cents.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 06:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

There was a time not so long ago - that 100bhp was considered sacred even in the C-segment!

Now compact cars from homegrown manufacturers are breaching 120hp and 130hp - with the Nexon almost nearing the benchmark 100hp/ton figure and we still are debating on sales and service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
I would not assume that, without an NCAP rating for Indian made and sold Ecosport.

Look at Punto and Duster, both look and feel solidly built, but scored a 0 on NCAP.
Not correct buddy - Ecosport and Punto both are not tested for the Indian market. Also, Duster scored a zero for the base variant without airbags and three stars with only driver airbag. The only car tested from the Indian market, which had airbags (only for the driver) and still managed to score a 0-star rating - is the Renault Kwid.

That said - You're right about Nexon being a tested product against the Ecosport, at least when it comes to the safety of the front passengers in the case of a frontal collision. Six airbags will definitely have an added advantage in certain other scenarios though!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th February 2020 at 06:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:49   #28
BHPian

Today I visited Gokulam motors, Maradu, Kochi. Sales person hear also mentioned that new Nexon Petrol is 110PS itself. There is no change in power. He spoke to his trainer from Tata and confirmed it is indeed 110PS. Their broucher also shows 110PS. When I mentioned about the media quoting 120PS, he said it's wrong. This is thrid sales person from two different showrooms mentioning that there is no change in power of new Nexon. I humbly request Team-BHP officials to get clarity in this regard from Tata officials.
Old 29th February 2020, 15:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Look at Punto and Duster, both look and feel solidly built, but scored a 0 on NCAP. Also looking at the new Nexon it almost has every feature I need! Maruti or does not hold a candle to the audio system in Nexon, the most used feature in any city car!!! Just my 2 cents.
AFAIK, Punto has not been tested in GNCAP. It did get a 5 star in ENCAP once which a decade later became 0 star.

But I do agree that solid build cars need not do well in crash tests. We have members with insider info on our forum who have revealed that Tata Harrier it self would have scored poorly in crash tests (due to cabin intrusion from the fiat engine being more than TATA engineers expected). Harrier was a car that I would have definitely banked on getting 5 stars. Hopefully, TATA will sort out the issue and get it a decent safety score.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 15:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Their broucher also shows 110PS. When I mentioned about the media quoting 120PS, he said it's wrong. This is thrid sales person from two different showrooms mentioning that there is no change in power of new Nexon. I humbly request Team-BHP officials to get clarity in this regard from Tata officials.
Here's the screenshot from Nexon brochure. Please show this to the service advisor.
Tata Nexon gets a more powerful 1.2L Petrol engine-screen-shot-20200229-3.26.04-pm.png
strawhat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks