Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon gets a more powerful 1.2L Petrol engine

The Tata Nexon is now available with a more powerful 1.2-litre petrol engine.

Tata Nexon gets a more powerful 1.2L Petrol engine-image-3-all-new-nexon.jpg

The Tata Nexon facelift was launched with BS6 compliant engines in January 2020. At the time, the car was offered with a 1.2-litre, turbocharged petrol engine producing 108 BHP and 170 Nm. The new engine makes 118 BHP @ 5,500 rpm, while torque remains the same at 170 Nm @ 1,750-4,000 rpm.

The Nexon is also available with a 1.5-litre diesel engine that produces 108 BHP and 260 Nm. The peak power is now developed at 4,000 rpm. Both engines are offered with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automated manual transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 23:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon gets a more powerful 1.2L Petrol engine

This is excellent news. Which some other manufacturers are busy downgrading their engines or even cars (looking at you, VW, Ford), Tata is looking to improve its offerings. I think we often fault Tata for improving its products after a while, claiming it used initial adopters as guinea pigs or beta testers but at least Tata is willing to make up on its shortcomings. Which other manufacturer can one say that about?
RoadMonkey is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 00:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
This is excellent news. Which some other manufacturers are busy downgrading their engines or even cars (looking at you, VW, Ford), Tata is looking to improve its offerings.
Ford has an excellent petrol engine in the 1.5 Dragon, producing 121hp which should match up to the TATA Nexon petrol. Hyundai also has a potent 118hp TGDi petrol in the Venue, which should also be shared with the Kia Sonet soon. Volkswagen is getting the 1.0 TSi soon.

Mahindra is upping the ante even further with the 130hp mStallion 1.2 turbo petrol.

If anything, the laggards are the Japanese competition. Honda with their tiny 1.2 iVTec producing 89hp in the WRV and Maruti Suzuki with the mediocre 1.5L 103hp engine in the Brezza.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th February 2020 at 00:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 00:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ford has an excellent petrol engine in the 1.5 Dragon, producing 121hp which should match up to the TATA Nexon petrol.
With Ford it wasn't as much as the downgrade of engines I'm referring to as much as the cars, specifically the Figo twins. They've removed so many features from the BSVI update, it's disheartening.
RoadMonkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 03:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

BS6 is surely bringing the best out of our homegrown manufacturers like Tata & Mahindra.

They really are showing that zeal to remain in the race despite having to meet stringent norms across sections such as safety & emission.

Honda, Suzuki are being extremely lethargic with their approach. It’s Koreans who are ready to shoot the missiles alongside Indians now

Customers, time to gear up with your cash and buy one of these potent machines.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 08:11   #6
BHPian

Tata now has all the options one needs in a beauty like the Nexon. Petrol, Diesel and Electric with various features and a fantastic safety rating. With such positives, it should rank high up on every buyers list but that isn't the case. Reason? Bad service..
If someone at Tata is reading this, you are just one click away from making it big in this crazy market.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 10:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The new engine makes 118 BHP @ 5,500 rpm
Man, the petrol was always quick. This will make it even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Which some other manufacturers are busy downgrading their engines or even cars (looking at you, VW, Ford), Tata is looking to improve its offerings.
So true! Most Tata cars are improving in the BS6 era, including the Harrier & its 170 BHP tune. Ford is suffering = even the Endeavour lost that beautiful 3.2L diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
With such positives, it should rank high up on every buyers list but that isn't the case. Reason? Bad service..
Actually, that's not the case. The Nexon has been selling 3,500 - 4,000 cars / month which is pretty good for a 2017 launch that costs between 8 - 14 lakhs on-the-road Mumbai. It's also based on the old X1 platform that underpins the Zest & Bolt (first seen in the Indica Vista) = FAT profits. Thus, I would term the Nexon as one of Tata's successes.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 12:02   #8
BHPian

This might seem a bit off topic but Tata should think of developing a full fleged hybrid technology for their existing cars to bridge the gap between ICE powered and electric cars.
This will help fence sitters go for hybrid without a second thought because of absence of range anxiety and such cars being supremely fuel efficient too. Also this will create a smooth transition from ICE cars to electric cars few decades down the line.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 26th February 2020 at 12:03.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 07:00   #9
BHPian

Most of the problems associated with Tata's service is dealership related- these dealerships had been selling commercial vehicles in the past and are not the best dealing with private urban suave demanding buyers. My suggestion - why can't TATA launch a separate line of premium dealerships on the lines of Maruti's NEXA? Nexa has been a success story for Maruti and has uplifted Maruti's image from a small car maker to a proper big car challenger. People used to doubt if Maruti can sell cars in the 8-12L price bracket, now we don't even talk about it. Tata should seriously give it a thought.
Time_Machine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 07:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, that's not the case. The Nexon has been selling 3,500 - 4,000 cars / month which is pretty good for a 2017 launch that costs between 8 - 14 lakhs on-the-road Mumbai. It's also based on the old X1 platform that underpins the Zest & Bolt (first seen in the Indica Vista) = FAT profits. Thus, I would term the Nexon as one of Tata's successes.
True, and there's no second thought on the Nexon being a success. What I meant was that the Nexon has potential to pull customers from a level up and down. It can be a grander success than what it is.
Having been a Tata customer for a long time, I've seen their service quality go down the drain. I've owned the Tata Estate, Sumo, Indica, Manza and even a Nano in the past. Right now, I'm salivating at the Harrier Auto but as much as my heart says, my mind wont agree!
Old 27th February 2020, 08:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Machine View Post
Most of the problems associated with Tata's service is dealership related- these dealerships had been selling commercial vehicles in the past and are not the best dealing with private urban suave demanding buyers. My suggestion - why can't TATA launch a separate line of premium dealerships on the lines of Maruti's NEXA? Nexa has been a success story for Maruti and has uplifted Maruti's image from a small car maker to a proper big car challenger. People used to doubt if Maruti can sell cars in the 8-12L price bracket, now we don't even talk about it. Tata should seriously give it a thought.
Agree with dealership that they are ones spoiling the party. But the onus is on TATA to ensure they appoint the right dealers. An example is Adishakti group, they have Maruti and Toyota dealerships, a JLR one coming up too. Their Toyota one is good. However TATA is below average. Case in point is the appointment of the right dealer with incentives meant solely for quality service (pre and post sales) will work. Else TATA will always remain in the inconsistent service (for both sales and service). Their retail arm has to be rejigged else the problem will remain irrespective of the products they launch. Skoda seems to be making right steps at least for now, the end results will take time and depends on stringent execution.
nkrishnap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Machine View Post
My suggestion - why can't TATA launch a separate line of premium dealerships on the lines of Maruti's NEXA? Nexa has been a success story for Maruti and has uplifted Maruti's image from a small car maker to a proper big car challenger. People used to doubt if Maruti can sell cars in the 8-12L price bracket, now we don't even talk about it. Tata should seriously give it a thought.
I thought I will chip in with what I feel about this. Maruti could afford to split the sale of it's cars to two separate dealerships. The volume they sell every month is huge and the margins can keep both dealers (Nexa and Arena) happy. That is simply not the case with Tata and other manufactures except Hyundai, may be. As such, the dealers are running on wafer thin margins. Try to split that margin further and the dealers will quit. It is not sustainable for them.

More than that, what are they going to sell after spinning off a new Nexa like showroom ? Tiago, Tigor, Altroz, Harrier and Gravitas, right ? What is left for the existing Tata dealers to sell ? Hexa ? How can they sustain with that ? So I think the only way forward for Tata is to revamp the existing showrooms to provide better customer service. Spinning off a premium dealership network is out of question. They don't have the bandwidth to do that.
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Great news. Atleast on paper one can buy a powerful 120bhp fairly loaded car below 10 lakhs otr (the xz variant).
Though more than the power Nexon Petrol needs smoother power delivery and better refinement. Its astonishing to find how refined the other desi csuv - the xuv 300 petrol feels inspite of being a 3 cyl engine. I hope the new nexon petrol has improved in that direction. The car otherwise is pretty competent.

Last edited by Turbokick : 27th February 2020 at 09:30.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Somehow i feel this whole premium quotient in the mass market dealerships is highly exaggerated. The Nexa staff just wears suits thats all there is to it. True premiumness oozes from the confidence in product and service quality, and that reflects in little things that matter much. And then its really up to individual dealers. Of the myriad dealers i dealt with in Pune, my best experiences have been with Sai Service, BU Bhandari VW, Kothari Hyundai followed by the rest . Some of the most disappointing ones were Pandit (Fiat) especially during the delivery. But the after sales service was again quite good.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th February 2020 at 09:34.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 09:54   #15
BHPian

In my eyes, these are just two more features that the Nexon needs to be perfect - namely a better automatic (torque-converter or dual-clutch) and 6 airbags. Maybe down the line?

Tata's line-up is easily one of the best and most diverse in the country and they deserve to succeed.
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed