Team-BHP - Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo launched at Rs. 7.68 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo launched at Rs. 7.68 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/219656-hyundai-grand-i10-nios-turbo-launched-rs-7-68-lakh.html)

Mod Note: Our Grand i10 Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios to get 100hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine

Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo launched at Rs. 7.68 lakh-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190930053310_hyundaii10nlineex.jpg
(i10 N shown for representative purpose)

"Sportier Nios will get 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine from Venue, albeit in 100hp state of tune, in early 2020. A 5-speed manual gearbox will be the sole gearbox on offer. It will likely sport an all-black interior theme with contrast stitching and could get bespoke alloy wheels."

ACI

It is quite interesting that Hyundai is really trying to project the NIOS to be 'fun to drive'. Adding the turbo-petrol from the Venue is a good step in that direction as well, but Hyundai still needs to work on the suspension tuning.

May be testing the waters before introducing the N-Line variants formally?

The 1.0 turbo performs good in the Venue, and should feel better with the lighter i10 NIOS. Turbo lag is well controlled and under part-throttle inputs, the car pulls well from low speeds in higher gears. The engine truly comes into its own in the midrange, which is easily better than the 1.2 Kappa petrol.

Pricing is key though and Hyundai can look at the Baleno RS for advice. Maybe the reason why the NIOS might miss out, not only on the DCT gearbox - but the 6 speed manual from the Venue as well.

Perfectly summed up crazy driver. Giving more power is one thing and tuning the chassis and the suspension to harness that power is entirely different ballgame. If you look at all the Hyundais of past and present(for the Indian market), all have had one of the most powerful petrol and diesel engines in their segments which made them kings of traffic signal drag races but also almost all of them had poorly tuned suspensions which resulted in them being below par when it came to dynamics.

So let's hope that Hyundai tunes the suspension properly this time around and gives us enthusiasts a pocket rocket.

Does the 1.2 l kappa engine confirm to BS 6 regulations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru_max (Post 4669022)
Does the 1.2 l kappa engine confirm to BS 6 regulations?

The one in the Nios? Yes it does.

I don't think the 1.2L Kappa in the older grand i10 and the i20 are BS6 ready yet though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram87pune (Post 4668743)
So let's hope that Hyundai tunes the suspension properly this time around and gives us enthusiasts a pocket rocket.

Hyundai is not concerned about giving an enthusiasts' car.

They are happy to be in the middle ground targeted towards people who look for hassle free ownership but premium features and interiors. Those powerful engines are not for drag races but tuned for daily usage. Suspensions are soft to soak in all the bumps which we have in plenty on Indian roads.

New Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo Launch Price ₹ 7.68 Lakhs( ex- showroom). Booking open now.

Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo launched at Rs. 7.68 lakh-hyundaigrandi10petrolturbolaunchprice.jpg

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4750816)
New Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo Launch Price ₹ 7.68 Lakhs( ex- showroom). Booking open now.

Attachment 1969258

Link

Ouch! costlier than a turbo diesel? I thought diesel engines are costlier to produce. Again Hyundai doing what they do always-No top spec on offer. A cheaper price tag would have made this look tempting!

I appreciate Hyundai's effort to push the 1.0 turbo into more models. They have their strategy sorted compared to the risk-averse MSIL. If they succeed, (I really wish they do :)) it'll show that MSIL has clearly failed in product planning. Maruii really had the opportunity to put the boosterjet in the Swift, Ciaz, Baleno, and Brezza but just refused to do so.

Wonder whether we'll see a Hyundai + Kia overtake MSIL in a decade or two. I think Toyota + Suzuki vs Hyundai + Kia is going to be battle to watch out for in India. Add in a few Chinese companies + Tata + Mahindra for some additional masala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4750851)
Ouch! costlier than a turbo diesel?

Exactly my first thoughts. Maybe the hyundai turbo petrol has low local content.

Excellent news, it is good engine with great power delivery in Venue and will be very effective for Nios. The only gripe I have is, I hope BS6 version of this engine is refined. In my Venue that’s not the case, I know it’s a 3 cylinder engine, but for Hyundai standards it’s way below par.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4750851)
Ouch! costlier than a turbo diesel?

Direct injection + Turbo charging.

We're probably looking at Tiago JTP rivalling power/weight figures here - though the steering, suspension experience may be a total mismatch for the engine performance.

I am in the market for a new car and was eagerly looking forward to this launch. I was expecting this car to be launched in the top spec Asta trim.:Frustrati
Looks like i'll have to settle for the kappa motor now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neerajpv87 (Post 4751336)
I am in the market for a new car and was eagerly looking forward to this launch. I was expecting this car to be launched in the top spec Asta trim.:Frustrati
Looks like i'll have to settle for the kappa motor now.

There isn't much of difference between the Asta and the Sportz DT. Would suggest you to go through the variant wide specs and then decide the trim.
If you love driving, i am sure the TC engine is a no-brainier over the decade old NA Kappa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi10 (Post 4751354)
There isn't much of difference between the Asta and the Sportz DT. Would suggest you to go through the variant wide specs and then decide the trim.
If you love driving, i am sure the TC engine is a no-brainier over the decade old NA Kappa

The car will be used primarily by my dad. I'll be using the car for only 30 - 40 days a year when i'm in the country. :D
As per Hyundai website Sportz DT doesn't have adjustable headrests, rear wiper, Smart key and push button start. My concern is whether i'd end up regretting later for not getting the top spec model. Responsible son in me wanna advise him to get the top spec kappa, but the enthusiast in me wants to get the turbo.
It's a head v/s heart scenario.stupid: