Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2020, 13:55   #16
BHPian

Re: The best engines ever sold in India

How can we miss Honda Civic's (1st gen in India) 1.8L iVTEC motor!

It was a great engine with a crazy top end and great overall performance.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-images-17.jpeg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th February 2020 at 11:20. Reason: Spacing
Nazaar25 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 13:56   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would like to add Renaults 1.5 K9K to the list. Its a workhorse
A workhorse, yes. I have experienced it for 50,000 km in my Sunny. Good driveability & fuel economy, but it's certainly not one I would include in the "best engines" list. The motor is gruff, old and resistant to higher revs. There's nothing special about it (other 1.5L diesels too offer good driveability & economy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_ford View Post
Why do you feel Ford has taken a step back?
Don't want to take the thread off-topic, but the Endeavour lost that lovely 3.2L, the Figo / Aspire lost features etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
VW 2.0 in both the tunes... Mad Mad engine for sure. Alas! They messed up in emissions.
Oh man ! How could I have missed this engine. It is simply fantastic. A brilliant all-rounder. Fast, efficient, good driveability...VAG's 2.0 TDI has it all.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 14:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to the ones above , the 1.4 Duratorq Diesel by Ford was a hoot of an engine and served Ford well before the current 1.5 took over the reigns. Power delivery was linear although the turbo kicked in with a punch. The success of the old gen Fiesta and Figo was primarily due to this fabulous 1.4 Duratorq , my two cents !
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 14:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post

It definitely sounds like a tractor on the outside and almost a truck on the inside however, when the pedal is floored, the RPM shoots to 5500 RPM redline and you leave significantly expensive cars in the hazardous black smoke that this engine emitted. Have done 70K kms so far and still delivers ~21kmpl when driven sanely.
Honestly, this engine sounds really nice when you go over 3500 RPM ie when the EGR valve closes and pure clean air is fed into those 4 cylinders! Sounds really nice for a diesel. Besides, at 4000 RPM, with the turbo spinning real fast, it actually sounds like a commercial jet at idle. I get goosebumps when I cross 3500 RPM . Glad to have bought one of the last 1.6 TDI Vento in the market! It's a keeper
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 14:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A workhorse, yes. I have experienced it for 50,000 km in my Sunny. Good driveability & fuel economy, but it's certainly not one I would include in the "best engines" list. The motor is gruff, old and resistant to higher revs. There's nothing special about it (other 1.5L diesels too offer good driveability & economy).
Hmm - well, having used both the 1.3 MJD and the 1.5 K9K extensively, I somehow liked the overall feel of the K9K much more. I felt it to be pretty smooth on the Duster in its 110ps avatar. I mean , if we include Tata’s native 1.4 NA diesel then the K9K also deserves a mention dont you think?
Old 27th February 2020, 14:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The current Octavia's 1.8 TSI is enjoyable, yet the 1st-gen vRS is among the best & purest driving machines you can get your hands on..
A small correction here if you are talking about the original Octavia then that would be a RS and not a vRS because my brother had bought the same and as far as I recall it was called RS 1.8 Turbo.

Secondly the engine was great and all but it and the car is a nuance to maintain. He had to change the axles twice and had to get a lot of engine/ suspension/ brake and other work done. The Turbo had issues and he got it changed from the company but they did not change it under warranty and he had to pay extra

When he got that I got the Hyundai Accent CRDi which I still own and drive once in a blue moon with no major work done except for a valve replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Accent CRDi came with a 1500cc 3 cylinder 12 valves diesel engine which produced 82 bhp at 4000rpm but it was super zippy and peppy made overtaking easy as hell.
Agreed 100% a great gem of an engine that. You can go around town on 3rd gear alone whole day. I have enjoyed the car so much and still use it as a backup to this day but in process of changing it.
ajaiD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:07   #22
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Sounds like a tractor, pulls like a train - The VW's mighty 1.6 TDi.

It definitely sounds like a tractor on the outside and almost a truck on the inside
Do what friendly mod Gannu did. Damp it. Gannu's 1.6 GT tdi was as quiet as a graveyard(from the inside).

Last edited by ike : 27th February 2020 at 15:19. Reason: adding some info
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 15:12   #23
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Do what friendly mod Gannu did. Damp it. Gannu's 1.6 GT tdi was as quiet as a graveyard.
Thank you. I will go through his thread and sure, it can be my next project.
Old 27th February 2020, 15:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

I don't have a picture of the engine bay, but the Ford Ikon's 1.6 was a brilliant one. It was always a pleasure to get behind the steering wheel!
vb-saan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

For me its the 1.2 i-VTEC of my Honda Brio. Only Honda managed to design and develop the 1.2 to be as fun to drive as the 1.5 i.VTEC engine found on the legendary Honda City.

On the other hand I have heard people tell me that 1.5 L petrol engine in the Maruti vehicles is not as fun to drive as their 1.2 L engine. Yet to personally try it and confirm it though.

The best engines ever sold in India-img_0735.jpg
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:14   #26
BHPian

The G13BB from Suzuki needs a mention. It was a very sweet engine. High revving. Combined with the Swift's handling it was a joy to drive

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 27th February 2020 at 16:23.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:20   #27
BHPian

Slightly different opinion, but nothing like the 2.5L that powers the Bolero range(not the XD3P). It is tougher than nails, both in DI and CRDe avatars and has extremely simple mechanicals.

This engine was one of the biggest reasons for the Bolero's success, both in commercial as well as passenger segment.

Radiator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
For me its the 1.2 i-VTEC of my Honda Brio. Only Honda managed to design and develop the 1.2 to be as fun to drive as the 1.5 i.VTEC engine found on the legendary Honda City.
The 1.2 iVTEC is indeed a sweet engine and super rev happy. Only issue is that under full load, the Brio struggles till it hits 2000 RPM and above. With one or two passengers on board though, it performs like a champ and begs to be revved hard. I enjoy my Brio when I am driving solo, the pickup and chuckability is pretty legendary.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Probably not the best, but I think it does deserve a mention here. The G13BB on the first generation swift.

What a lovely revv friendly engine that was. K series in comparison felt a lot tamer. But no doubt it (K Series) was the more advanced and refined of the two.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
The G13BB from Suzuki needs a mention. It was a very sweet engine. High revving. Combined with the Swift's handling it was a joy to drive
Oops missed your post!

vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

I'd add the 1.6 Duratec on the Ford Fiesta to the list of fantastic petrols. It had a great low end grunt and superb at the high end too. In addition, it had an addictive snarl after 4000 rpn on the tacho. Tied to a feelsome hydraulic steering and fantastic driving dynamics, it was one of the best at that time.

The best engines ever sold in India-fiesta-engine.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks