Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 13:06   #46
BHPian

Re: The best engines ever sold in India

Quite surprised to see no mention of the engine that put India on wheels. The ubiquitous F8B - 796cc gem from Suzuki that was found in the legendary Maruti 800 and was in action till very recently in Alto800.

The engine was way ahead of its time and enabled us to use the terms “reliability, performance and frugality” in the same breath. Back in the day when Padminis and Ambassadors required regular engine cool-down breaks and were found stranded on the road side, the F8B would happily chug along all day and night.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-20170419_135517.jpg  

VS1811 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:11   #47
BHPian

Not meaning to sound rude but instead of pitching the engines we have in the cars we own/owned in the past, maybe we should just focus on all rounders, i don't think Civic or Brio's NA engines deserve to be in this list because no matter how revv happy or refined they are, with good power figures they have horrible low end torque and both Civic and Honda's 1.2 especially in Jazz are a nightmare to drive in the city, the civic's engine never woke till you are in the extreme end of the power band and lets be real, its not practical to do that most of the times.

I throughly enjoyed my Cruze's 2.0 but even that engine should not make it to the list because of its poor low end, my City's 1.5 Diesel being a very good engine does not too, because of poor refinement, limited power band.

If we are including bike engines i think my R15 v3's engine belongs here too, it is a perfect all rounder, it has decent power lower down and in the mid range, with amazing top end. Refinement is good and it is amazingly efficient.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 28th February 2020 at 13:13.
Rocketscience is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Surprising to see no mention of the VAG 2.0 TDI engine that does duty on most of the diesel VAG cars - Jetta, Octavia, Superb, Yeti, etc. It is a stonker of an engine and if remapped, it is a different story all together.

The best engines ever sold in India-vw-2.0-tdi-engine.jpg
Epic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:35   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1811 View Post
Quite surprised to see no mention of the engine that put India on wheels. The ubiquitous F8B - 796cc gem from Suzuki that was found in the legendary Maruti 800 and was in action till very recently in Alto800.

The engine was way ahead of its time and enabled us to use the terms “reliability, performance and frugality” in the same breath. Back in the day when Padminis and Ambassadors required regular engine cool-down breaks and were found stranded on the road side, the F8B would happily chug along all day and night.
Sorry for nitpicking, the F8B came in 4 speed Maruti 800 and Omnis, while the 5 Speed 800 and Alto 800 came(the Alto is still continuing) with F8D engine. The

The pic you have posted is of my car, with the F8D.

Hats off to the Japanese for designing the engine which has lasted well over 4 decades. The F series motor is a design of the Late 70s, and is still relevant. India has seen three iterations of the F8 Series: F8B in 4S 800 and Omni, F8C in Daewoo Matiz and F8D in 5S 800 and Alto.

Signing off with a pic of the original F8B Motor, which came to India with SS80:

The best engines ever sold in India-52546651_2256093321107751_4214111049139355648_n.jpg

PS: These engines are downright fantastic when it comes to being a workhorse with supreme reliability. But I won't call them as enthusiastic as the other engines featured in this thread.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 28th February 2020 at 13:43.
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:49   #50
BHPian

One must not forget the Suzuki F10D. We had it on our Alto 1.1 and the motor did it's duty on the old Wagon R & Zen Estilo.
Marketed as the Maruti 16x4 Hypertech, it had a strong low end and mid range. It made the Alto race like mad in 0-80 Kmph run, putting some more expensive sedans of that time to shame!

Also, not to mention, the motor on the original Maruti 800 with Japanese carburettor, The 1.3L motor on Premier Padmini. The list goes on!

Jokes apart, To each his own I won't be surprised to see every engine sold in India make it to this thread. @ Mods, can we have a criteria of what this thread would define as "the best engine?" and then, possibly a moderation of the posts?
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:53   #51
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th February 2020 at 07:49.
aboveallkaran is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th February 2020, 14:57   #52
BHPian

Suprised to see no mention of Toyota's 2.8GD series engine which was earlier seen in the Crysta/still available in the Fortuner.The Crysta became a speed boat where performance is concerned.
You don't expect a van to accelerate in that way and keep up at triple digit speeds so effortlessly.No doubt it sounds like a truck but there are hardly a few diesels which sound great while being revved.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th February 2020 at 18:15. Reason: edited. Added capital.
TSIVTEC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 15:04   #53
BHPian

Did i miss something or is there really no mention of Fiat 1.4TJet! It's a gem of an engine and every petrolhead's delight! I can never forget the first drive, the first push you get once the turbo kicks in, simply superb!
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:39   #54
BHPian

C'mon GTO. Have to include BMWs Inline 6 Diesel in this too. It pulls forever and surprisingly frugal.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-download.jpeg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th February 2020 at 18:17. Reason: Edited
showboat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 16:53   #55
BHPian

Just gonna quickly "assess" the engines, manufacturer-wise:
  • Maruti Suzuki : Nothing more to praise about the 1.2 K12B. Sure, it's been detuned over the ages, but still quite a performer as ever.
    Also, the 1.0 K10 with 3 cylinders seemed to be a downgrade from the old 4-cylinder 1.1 F10D, but has been proven monumentally wrong. While many other engines were badly affected, BS6 only made it stronger.
    But, once upon a time, MSIL had great engines in the bigger segments too. The 1.3 G13B of the Esteem, the superb torquey 1.6 G16B engine of the Baleno (remember, they had excellent rallying pedigree) But now, it's gotten all wrong. The excellent 1.6 DDIS and the 1.0 BoosterJet were scrapped despite the immense potential of the latter, and they came out with bigger 1.4s and 1.5s that just feel so out of breath compared to the competition.
    The 1.3 DDIS had a great run. R.I.P. Now just put that damn 1.5 engine in the Baleno, please.
  • Hyundai: Made a revolution with common rail diesel engines, the 1.5 CRDI that powered the old Accent Viva, Verna, Getz etc. have received immense praise and deservedly so. Then they took things up the next level with the 1.6 CRDI. Poweful, fast, efficient- the very definition of a modern diesel. The new BS6-ready 1.5 seems down on power on paper, but still quite characterful.
    Petrol wise, it's the 1.2 kappa2 engine to talk about. Introduced in the final facelift of the original i10, it was only engine in the hatchback segment that could hold a candle to 1.2 K12B in terms of performance, and exceeded it in terms of refinement. So good it was, that it was used in the later 2 generations as well. But then they put it up in the bigger i20, and messed it up. Suddenly it felt weak and inadequate. The BS6 incarnation in the NIOS also seems to be affected. The 1.0 GDI on the other hand is going great, in the bigger Venue, and in a lower state of tune in the NIOS; we expect the i20 to follow suit too, it needs that engine.
  • Honda: Basically a one-car company with one definitive engine: The 1.5 i-VTEC. So iconic it was, that the dolphin City was quickly lambasted for not using it. Honda quickly rectified it with a facelift, rather than waiting for a new generation. Years later, it still powers it's bread and butter model. Still a sweet engine. The smaller 1.2, on the other hand, wasn't.
  • Ford: Now it's all about the 1.5 TDCI, and the new Dragon engines which are good, but certainly not as good as the 1.6 Duratec of the Ikon and Fiesta. I've seen every 2 out of 5 BHP-ians mention its sharp throttle response and punchy performance whenever any topic of engines comes up. Makes me want to look for a Fiesta S and drive one! The Figo 1.6 would've been a revelation, but was too good for our market.
  • Fiat: Not seeing the need to endorse the 1.3 DDIS any further. It's gained it's reputation. Nothing to prove. The bigger 2.0 MultiJet is following its legacy in the bigger segments. Nice.
    Petrols were even better while they lasted. The 1.4 T-Jet turbo in the Abarth was a beast, and so was it's predecessor, the 1.6 of the Palio GTX. Even the normal 1.4 T-Jet of Linea and MultiAir of Compass were powerful.
  • VW/Skoda: Really excited about this one. Good cars backed by poor management. The former was proven especially with the engines. The 1.9 TDI of the old Octy is proven to be a reliable workhorse, quite a European anomaly! The bigger 2.0 TDI is doing duties in all sorts of VWs, Skodas, Audi's etc..such a great, great engine that sadly will be put down. The smaller 1.6 TDI is how I personally tasted VW's mastery of diesels. The Rapid's "rapid" acceleration,and the additive "pushed to the seat" experience it created from a meager 105 BHP and and 250Nm Torque is simply outstanding. Sadly it was embroiled in the dieselgate, and the 1.5 TDI is nowhere as magical.
    The petrols are great as well, atleast the turbocharged ones. DSG woes aside, the 1.2 TSI of the Polo and Vento were the benchmarks in their respective segments IMO. The Octy vRS with the 1.8 TSI brewed quite a storm. Had the opportunity to experience the newer incarnation in the ill-fated GTI, the acceleration was instant! Can't even imagine how the 2.0 TSI of the vRS is gonna be
  • Mahindra: The 2.2 mHawk. No other words. With Scorpio's roll-prone unstable body, it creates quite an experience on the highways!
    Now they've come up with the mStallion petrol engines. Seems to be good on paper. Probably Mahindra's telling: "The petrol can dash and jump, but the diesel can literally fly."
GipsyDanger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about diesels and turbo-petrols. But among N.A. petrols, Honda's 1.5 vtec and big brother 3.0 V6 of Accord. Especially Accord. Super smooth, silent , rev-crazy AND shoots forward like a stinger missile. That engine in a hothatch would have worked wonders.
Old 28th February 2020, 18:59   #57
BHPian

The best engines according to me would be the Mahindra Thar CRDe 4X4 (just being biased as I own it) Jokes apart, to be honest this beast is a true performer on-road and off-road.

Also Tata Safari 1st gen has gem of a heart and most reliable engines ever. I see this vehicle was a favourite to many back in those days.

My personal favourite the Tata Sierra, which I drove for quite sometime that has an engine which is very abuse friendly and once it’s on road is a sure head turner.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-7cce12c2dd3346a7a881b45ae1f08ffe.jpeg  

The best engines ever sold in India-62dcd62aa5374d0b8b0b0399c6c4778b.jpeg  

The best engines ever sold in India-d57079bc976347ebba73c3362fccc10e.jpeg  

Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 23:14   #58
BHPian

When Sierra and Safari first gen engines are mentioned here, then what is wrong with Revotorq 1.5l turbodiesel doing duty in the Nexon. Decently powerful, good driveability, refined and reliable, very commendable in house effort from Tata motors, zero issues for the last 60k kms that we have driven it.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 23:48   #59
BHPian

So, this is all about best engines.

Here goes my list.

1. Splendor 97.2 cc air-cooled 4-stroke.
Doing it duty on India's one of the hottest selling bike since 1994. This is one unbeatable in terms of longevity, reliability & mileage. I believe its quite abuse friendly as well. Many badly maintained bikes are still performing well thanks to that never dying engine. This one also does duty on the Passion.

The best engines ever sold in India-herosplendor97ccengine.jpg

2. Honda Activa 125 cc and 109 cc twins.
Back bone of the Indian gear-less scooters. Easy to drive, good on power and will last for a life. Undoubtedly one of the best in the industry, currently.

The best engines ever sold in India-activa-engine.jpg

3. Honda 149.2 cc 4-stroke.
These engines define the modern-era commuter bikes. This one in its various avatars has been doing its duty on Unicorn, HH CBZ, HH Hunk, HH Ambition etc. I would personally term it as one of the smootest, efficient and reliable 150cc engines available in the market today. CB Hornet's 160cc engine is derived from the same.

The best engines ever sold in India-unicorn.jpg

4. Honda's 249.5–286 cc single cylinder
This is one work horse of an engine in the quarter liter segment. the 250cc does duty in the CBR250r where-as the 286cc in the CB300R in India. The 286cc engine is derived from the 249 cc engine itself by increasing its stroke length. This is one of the best quarter liter engine available in India today. Its is very abuse friendly, smooth(almost no vibrations) long lasting and completely reliable.

The best engines ever sold in India-cbr.jpg

That's my list of best engines ever sold in India, though they belong to the 2 less wheels, they are engines.

Note: These are apart from the ones already mentioned in the thread.

If I HAD to mention at-least one car engine, I would say its the Fiat's 1.3 Multijet. Simply Unbeatable.

Image Credits : Google Images.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th February 2020 at 07:26. Reason: Typo
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 00:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

Just a suggestion: Maybe time to have 2 separate "engines with the best performance" and "engines which are workhorses" threads.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed