Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 00:08   #61
BHPian

Re: The best engines ever sold in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Hats off to the Japanese for designing the engine which has lasted well over 4 decades. The F series motor is a design of the Late 70s, and is still relevant. India has seen three iterations of the F8 Series: F8B in 4S 800 and Omni, F8C in Daewoo Matiz and F8D in 5S 800 and Alto.
Didn't the Matiz in India launch with the S-Tech 4 cylinder 995cc engine from the start? It competed with the Hyundai Santro that had a 999cc engine (at launch).

I clearly remember my dad praising the engine for its smoothness after a test drive (I was 10 years old back then!) .

I did drive a Matiz in 2010 and it was indeed butter smooth and super silent. Not sure if F8C, which is a three cylinder engine, can provide that level of smoothness ?
Old 29th February 2020, 08:02   #62
BHPian

I would like to add the 1.9 tdi from vw/skoda from the old Octavia.
These things are legendary for their reliability with examples running 10lakh kms and up.
I absolutely loved my Octavia and still regret selling it.
Turbo yoda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 09:39   #63
BHPian

Force Motors' 2400cc OM616 (Mercedes derived)

One of the least famous but a gem of an engine, OM616 being made by Force Motors/Bajaj Tempo since days immemorial proved to be a cutting edge for the company enhancing its core competency. It made it possible for products such as the Traveller line up, Trax line up and others to rule the roads and make a distinct place for Force Motors in the Indian automobile history.

Not to mention that the mighty Force Gurkha also runs on it.

Couldn't upload better quality pics as the internet restriction is in place in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-om616.jpeg  

The best engines ever sold in India-gurkha.jpeg  

Last edited by Fuldagap : 29th February 2020 at 09:43.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:49   #64
BHPian

Skoda Superb's 3.6 V6 FSI

This is one mad engine that deserves to be on this list. The 3.6 V6 FSI came to the Indian market in 2009 and made the superb a wicked sleeper. It made around 260 bhp and gave the superb a 0 to 100 kmph run of 6.4 seconds and had a electronically limited speed of 250 kmph. It's Mileage upto 12.0 kmpl. In 2009 that was big in India. The engine layout was actually a VR6 but VW just called it a V6.
Attached Thumbnails
The best engines ever sold in India-engine-bay.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 29th February 2020 at 10:59. Reason: As requested.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 11:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, by the time we're through with this thread, we will have covered almost all engines from motorcycles to supercars.
pgsagar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:36   #66
BHPian

I would also like to add the 1.5 Diesel on the New Ciaz and Ertiga. This is silky smooth engine let down by poor gear shifts. Also, who can forget the 2.4 on the Qualis.
Old 29th February 2020, 12:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Adding the 1ZZFE engine that did duty in the Corolla from 2003 to 08 and in the Altis from 2008-10.

The USP of this engine was its durability. Add to that its ability to deliver power and fuel efficiency based on individual driving styles.

Attachment 1974772
+1 to that, I have once got a FE of 19 Kmpl from this gem. It can be quick as well as fuel efficient depending on your driving style.
inder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:03   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

1. Splendor 97.2 cc air-cooled 4-stroke.
This forward tilted engine is the real National engine. It powers crores of vehicles just in this country. Also the most reliable and smooth engine by far.
Activa also has the same engine if i am not wrong, but with a longer stroke.
Radiator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 15:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure if it's all about the engine , it maybe a combination of engine + gearbox in this case.

The vehicle is Bolero Power+ , I have driven the older models of Bolero , DI, M2DICR etc but this power train change to smaller engine made a world of difference, it felt light and nimble bombing around in the town and country roads of Mannargudi.

So there you go, Mhawk 1.5L is my pick for now.
Old 29th February 2020, 17:04   #70
BHPian

Peugeot TUD5 Engine

The best engines ever sold in India-peugeot-tud5-engine.jpg
Image Source

Launched in 1996 in the Peugeot 309, it was a gem of an engine. I was the Proud Owner of the 1st Peugeot 309 GLD sold in India, used it for 15 years & drove it for around 5.5 Lac Kilometers before selling it (The Speedometer stopped working at 4.75 Lac Kilometers).

The best engines ever sold in India-peugeot309gld.jpg
Image Source

The Vehicle returned around 19kmpl & did 0-60 kmph in 7.89 Sec,which if my memory serves correctly was a better timing than the carburetted Esteem. Though the ad says it had a Top Speed of 145 kmph, have personally done 165 kmph on the Mumbai Pune Expressway many a times.

The Engine later found it's way in the Hyundai Accent, Maruti Zen & Maruti Esteem. Later it was also introduced in a Turbocharged BSIII Avatar in the Premier Rio.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 17:18   #71
BHPian

Hyundai's 1.4 crdi in the i20 cannot be ignored. Neither for its refinement nor for the ability to munch miles. Our example has done close to 2.5 lakh kms and is still doing the job every single day. It remains the highway Express paired with that 6 speed gearbox which still feels better than some new cars that have far done lesser distances.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 19:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Peugeot TUD5 Engine

Launched in 1996 in the Peugeot 309, it was a gem of an engine. I was the Proud Owner of the 1st Peugeot 309 GLD sold in India
Used to own a 1997 Peugeot GLD. Had great ride and the legendary TUD5. But I prefer it in the Zen which I had for many years. Unbelievably fuel efficient and quick. With the slick suzuki gearbox the Zen diesel was one nice pocket rocket(for it's time, back in 2000). The mass on the front axle somehow helped it's handling too. Loved it every mile.
Old 29th February 2020, 19:49   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Didn't the Matiz in India launch with the S-Tech 4 cylinder 995cc engine from the start? It competed with the Hyundai Santro that had a 999cc engine (at launch).
Matiz came with a 796cc 3 cylinder engine which produced 52 Bhp.

The 995cc engine, which you are mentioning came in the Chevrolet Spark. It was a 4 cylinder engine which produced 62 Bhp.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 19:57   #74
BHPian

On a personal note, the 796cc 3-cylinder doing duty in the Maruti Omni 1988 model. Same engine as that in the M-800, but in a different state of tune. 30 years later, I am a huge fan of the 1.5L ivtec(my wife owns one, and returns 14-15 kmpl in the city, 18-19 kmpl on highways full AC on in both the conditions) and the 2.0L diesel doing duty in the Tucson(have owned this for just over one year, 10-11 kmpl in city with full AC 15-16kmpl on highways full AC).
Old 29th February 2020, 20:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

The best engines ever sold in India

While VW / Skoda 1.6 TDI features in many lists, the crude noise and the issues with its reliability is a big turn off! I had a Rapid 1.6 TDI for 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed the engine every bit, in gear acceleration and the fantastic torque wave was the best! However I experienced a Turbo failure, followed by an EGR failure in the years I owned the car. And im sure many folks also experienced fuel injector issues as well. These things sort of take away the fun at times.

On the Contrary, I switched to the Creta 1.6 CRDI about 2 years ago, and about 20k kms later, im quite impressed and also at peace! The engine sure has power all the way, is a fantastic high way cruiser, also responds whenever you want it to. The engine does not feel strained at high speeds, which I think was the case with the VW TDis.
And the best part of this engine is the NVH! Its incredibly quiet! The bonnet does not even have any insulation and most folks would easily mistake it for a slightly noisy Petrol engine! If there is a flip side to this lovely diesel from Hyundai, its probably the efficiency. I used to get about 15kmpl in the Rapid in Bangalore traffic and with the Creta its just around 13. Not a big concern though.

Last edited by motorworks : 29th February 2020 at 20:05.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks