Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Though the NOC and related transfer process has been highly simplified by most RTOs, there are still certain specific cases where anomalies and discrepancies are present. To make the situation even more difficult, most of the process involving such specific and unique cases is neither defined nor clear.

For the benefit of readers, I will be splitting my post into three, first one covering what is involved in securing NOCs (for 99.9%) of the cars, second covering my experience and third the unknown process where chassis number on the car is not readable / rusted / damaged.

Here goes part one of my post. Most of the readers here will be aware of this, but for the sake of continuation, I thought of documenting this as well.
  1. To start with, users need to log on to parivahan portal and create a user id and password. You will need your mobile number and car’s RC having chassis and engine numbers.
  2. After logging on, create a new NOC application. Note that for NOC application, you will need the name of the transferee and RTO name of the new place for which NOC is needed. Once these details are filled, you will need to download and print four copies of filled Form 28 from the site.
  3. Once downloaded, you should take pencil imprint of the chassis number on all the four copies. There is one and only one chassis number from which pencil prints can be taken. It is either engraved or embossed on the vehicle body (generally within the passenger compartment and underneath the front seats). All other places where chassis numbers are present are either plates or stickers, but please note that chassis number print from such plates etc will not work.
  4. Once imprinted, scan one of the copies and upload it back onto the portal along with copies of insurance, RC and id and address proof of transferee. If transferee is same as transferor (for interstate transfer for self use), then only address proof of the new location is needed.
  5. Once all the documents are uploaded, take an appointment online. On the appointment date, take all four form 28, insurance, RC and id and address proof of transferee and submit to RTO. No fee is supposed to be paid for NOC issuance (at least in Delhi). Once verification of documents is complete, RTO will issue NOC, typically within one to three weeks. There is no need of physical verification of the car (again in Delhi, but not fully sure about other locations).

Part two of the post:

Quite a straightforward and easy process I would say. My pain point was my chassis number, so here goes my story….

10 year ban on diesel vehicles was making me anxious day by day my car crossed the nine year mark. With no intention of selling a well kept vehicle, I kept faith that may be Supreme Court or someone from the Government will be able to tell NGT that it is not necessary that all 10 year diesel vehicles cause pollution and that world over, several cars run for even 20 years or more. But the hopes dissolved as every day passed.

Reluctantly, put up an advertisement on TBHP and started getting some calls. Till this time, I had no clue about what my chassis number looked like etc. So when a buyer finally confirmed by paying advance, I went ahead and completed all the five steps described above without pencil imprint – under the wrong impression that the RTO inspector would inspect and take the imprint. On reaching the RTO, I was told to take imprint and upload the Form 28 copy again. Moment of truth was about to be realized soon.

While searching for the imprint (and taking help of google amma), I realized that my chassis number was badly rusted to an extent that not even one of the numbers was legible. Not knowing that chassis imprint from plates will not work, I rebooked an appointment after taking imprint from the plate and uploading it to the portal. On doing the entire process again and after reaching the RTO, I was clearly told that this will not work. Upon inspecting the vehicle (since chassis number was not imprinted), I was called inside for meeting the inspector. Had several arguments with the MLO and inspectors who told me to scrap the car if imprint cannot be taken. (Guess most of them would have never bought a car with hard earned money – emphasis is on hard earned money).

At this instance, I argued to understand the process but it seemed as if the inspectors were either not in the mood or weren’t themselves sure about the exact process for such vehicles. They told me reluctantly to get a new DT number and get it embossed again on the body etc etc.

Days went and I finally entered the 12th month of the 9th year. Frantically searching for an agent to get the work done, I spoke with several clueless brokers as well. Some of them told me that this may not be possible while some asked for 50k+ for getting the work done – but one thing was common – no one knew the process.

Finally, with less than 15 calendar days to go, I bumped across a decent guy – the owner of Satija Motors, RK Puram, New Delhi - Mr Rohit Satija, who decided to take up the matter. Since the case was unique, he also asked me to submit a normal application again, thinking that he will be able to “manage” the process. Went to RTO and after inspection, I was told the same – that this will not work. Rohit asked me to go home while he waited there to understand the process and on Sunday, we are (almost) clear of what needed to be done for making this work. With barely 5 working days in hand, we decided to take the mission head on.

Next part will describe the process, but would like to sincerely thank Rohit for helping me out with this in an extremely short time. In case you end up calling him, do give him reference of Red Punto and he should be happy to take up similar matters.

Part three of the post:

Have mentioned the steps below for cases where chassis number cannot be imprinted due to whatever reason. (Rust damage, accidental damage etc) Each of these should be followed one after the other, taking a minimum time of 15 days in hand (though I, along with Rohit was able to do it in 5)

Step 1: Local RTO has to issue a challan and impound the RC under section 182A (4) of MV Act “Punishment for offences relating to construction and maintenance of vehicles”. In certain cases, this is done by RTO – HQ only or by enforcement officials. (Please check this in your jurisdiction and proceed accordingly. In case no one has clues, ask them to guide you on the 182A (4) of the Act)

Step 2: Under new MV Act, fines above a certain amount cannot be collected by RTO or impounding official. Hence the fine has to be paid in court. In my cases, fine was Rs 5000, as per new MV Act. Once fine was paid and receipt collected, RC was handed back. (Obviously a tiring process as one has to stand in long queues and hear abuses of police walas etc)

Step 3: With the receipt, the local RTO will issue a letter to RTO – HQ to generate and allot a new chassis number for the vehicle. In Delhi, it is called DT Number. In Karnataka, KT Number etc.

Step 4: Head RTO will issue a new chassis number on receipt of this letter. This will be issued on Form 20 – which has to be filled again. This new chassis number has to be embossed / engraved onto the body.

Step 5: Engraving is not an activity that any workshop / mechanic will be ready to undertake. For my case, my authorized service centres told me that they don’t have any such process of engraving. I approached several multi-brand workshops but almost all of them denied. At the last, the RTO told me that they will also need a bill stating that the work has been undertaken by an authorized workshop. The engraving can be done on any place on the body. Good places are door sill, bottom of B pillar etc. (I think finding someone who will engrave is one of the toughest task. Most people think that this is an illegal activity and have to be convinced by showing them original letter issued by Head RTO)

Step 6: Once this is done, the pencil marking has to be made on same Form 20 and submitted to local RTO for modifying the RC. A small fee of Rs 560 has to be paid for issuance of new RC. Form has to be submitted along with copy of id and address proof.

Step 7: RTO will verify the documents with original copies and issue new RC.

Step 8: Once RC details are entered in the system, NOC process as described in my first post needs to be made by taking pencil imprint of the new chassis number.

Step 9: Voila and relax. RC may take time to get delivered but RTO will issue you an NOC stating car details, transferee name, transferee RTO and reason for NOC.

Let me know if this post helps..!

Last edited by Aditya : 28th February 2020 at 18:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged
aarvee is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 12:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Re-issuance of rusted / damaged chassis number : The process & my experience

Super useful, thanks for sharing . Adding links to two related threads for those who land here via a search:

Chassis number completely rusted

Faded chassis number
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Re-issuance of rusted / damaged chassis number : The process & my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvee View Post
Step 5: Engraving is not an activity that any workshop / mechanic will be ready to undertake. For my case, my authorized service centres told me that they don’t have any such process of engraving. I approached several multi-brand workshops but almost all of them denied. At the last, the RTO told me that they will also need a bill stating that the work has been undertaken by an authorized workshop. The engraving can be done on any place on the body. Good places are door sill, bottom of B pillar etc. (I think finding someone who will engrave is one of the toughest task. Most people think that this is an illegal activity and have to be convinced by showing them original letter issued by Head RTO)
Thanks a lot for sharing the whole process. Can you please inform the workshop name which did the engraving of chassis number on your car ?
Old 28th February 2020, 17:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarvee View Post
Here goes part one of my post. Most of the readers here will be aware of this, but for the sake of continuation, I thought of documenting this as well.
Great and Very Useful Thread Aarvee. Thanks for documenting this process.

@Mods, please see if this can be made a sticky thread.
Old 28th February 2020, 23:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing the whole process. Can you please inform the workshop name which did the engraving of chassis number on your car ?
This was not a workshop but a small mechanic in Burari area of Delhi. Have heard the few Maruti workshops are authorised to do this. What's the make of your car?
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

You should have also thought of engraving the same Chassis Number again, I know its a learning, but its easier knowing it now.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You should have also thought of engraving the same Chassis Number again, I know its a learning, but its easier knowing it now.
Yes I did and explored various options, some highly ridiculous ones.

Wanted to let you know that since the original print of chassis (taken while vehicle is registered) is matched with the one done on NOC form, it is highly unlikely that getting engraving again will skip the eyes of the MV officer.

By laws also, engraving same number is not allowed.
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:50   #8
BHPian

Hello All,

Adding my experience of handling a completely rusted Chassis number on my Palio Stile during re-registration (in Kerala).

So, my car was to be re-registered in June 2022 (2007 registration). I had paid the road tax in March 2022 itself. However, the car was with a trusted Fiat mechanic in Kochi for some months after that with a weird starting issue (for which we had to replace the ECU later).

I finally took the car for renewal of registration in June 2023, after a delay of one year. Since I had multiple issues (including a change in colour, which most probably happened during the initial registration of the vehicle - my car was Magnesium Grey, whereas on RC it was written 'Black' and I had overlooked it during the ownership change process when I bought it. My bad), I approached an agent to get things done.

The agent had looked at the car and suggested me to get it polished once. He did not say anything about the Chassis number. I (wrongly) assumed that maybe the RTO officials would only look at the VIN plate at the front . Anyway, the agent would know better than me, right?

On the day of the 'testing' (that is the term that we use colloquially for the RTO inspection process), I took the vehicle to the testing ground (roadside). The AMVI (Assistant Motor Vehicle Inspector) came to see the car. He looked at the papers, the indicators, headlight, viper etc. and asked for the Chassis number embossed on the chassis to be showed. The moment of truth was here. I had no clue where the chassis number was (Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa). The agent's handyman who was standing nearby started accusing me of not taking care of things before bringing the vehicle.

The AMVI was very patient (quite a surprise!) and we started looking for the Chassis number. I also realized that a Fiat now has some sort of 'vintage' status in our locality, and some of that respect was available to the owner as well. After a couple of calls to the mechanic, and a search through the User Manual which I had with me, we found that the location of the Chassis number is beneath the driver seat, towards the front end of the rear footwell. Upon tearing open the vinyl coating and the opening the floor mat along the rectangular perforation/cutting provided, we found that the Chassis number had completely faded/worn off.

The AMVI was trying to be helpful and asked me to try and see if the faded chassis number could be made legible with some workshop assistance, or get the Chassis number re-engraved. They would provide me the permission letter for the re-engraving. I took the car to a local workshop and they tried scraping off the rust, and also tried painting some silver paint over the plate and wiping off the paint gently to see if the engraving would become visible somehow. None of it worked.
Re-issuance of rusted / damaged chassis number : The process & my experience-img_20230615_122844.jpg
The guys at the workshop trying hard to make the faded chassis number visible. I forgot to take a picture of the faded out engraving.

The other formalities for renewal of registration would be completed, and I had to present the vehicle to the RTO after engraving the Chassis number for the renewed RC to be issued. I went back to the agent's office and he asked me to try and get the re-engraving done by the time the permission letter was issued from the RTO. Almost all processes related to the registration of vehicles are done online in Kerala now. But the issuance of such permissions had to be done manually, from what I understood from him.

I spoke to a mechanic who is known to me, and he was reluctant to do the work without the permission letter from the RTO. I decided not to push him too far and wait for the letter to arrive. However, after almost a month of waiting, the agent called me and informed me that he had managed to get the AMVI to report that the re-engraving was done and now, the RC would be issued! Probably the officials also did not want the trouble of manually issuing the permission letter and later doing another round of paper work after I present the vehicle for another round of inspection.

Later on, I received the renewed RC by registered post and then took the car to the local mechanic who was now happy to do the engraving. I got the work done and informed the agent as well.
Re-issuance of rusted / damaged chassis number : The process & my experience-working-teambhp.jpg
Not the best of work, but acceptable, I guess

The RC arrived without the colour change, and now I am again in touch with the agent to get it done. He seems too fed up with whatever string pulling he had to do to get the chassis number issued sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks