Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th April 2020, 09:46   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Buying a car: Your *compulsory list* of must-haves & must-nots

# I have to have a SUV with AWD [preferably 4WD with a low-range & won't mind diff locks ].

# Good headlamps.

# Android-auto [wireless]*.

# Good air-conditioner.

# Should be a spacious 5 seater [& not 4]

# A refined, plus a powerful engine is good to have, as it would relax on those highway runs at low rpm's.

# Will prefer a reliable SUV / brand.

* This is a not must-have, other points are. I frankly do not care much about others, but, will prefer a car with black interiors.
Old 25th April 2020, 16:02   #77
BANNED

Here's my list.

1. Automatic gearbox, TC or CVT. ( Absolutely No DCT/AMT)

2. Black interior ( Absolutely no beige )

3. Push-button start.

4. LED or HID lights front and back ( No 90s incandescent bulbs please )

5. N.A., 4-pot petrol engine ( absolutely no turbo and/or 3-pot engines )

6. ACC ( no ordinary aircon please )

7. Pano-roof.

About #7, I would prefer Range Rover Evoque type fixed Pano-roof over sliding type we see in new Creta, Harrier, Hector, Endeavour etc.. The advantage with Evoque type is, there is no cross-spar and view through the glass is truly magnificent. It is one huge single-piece glass. And, since it doesn't slide open, it will have no leak issues, no motor, guide-rail issues. And, no poking one's head through the roof like we see in other cars. The other cars' sliding ones open only half-way, anyway.
Old 25th April 2020, 18:26   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Must Have
TC AT or TC CVT
Should be Toyota/Maruti or a distant 3rd Hyundai
Residual value
Good service network
Availability of parts
Minimum NCAP 3 (current standards)
Decently powered engine for the size/weight

Must Not
Sunroof
Invasive integrated electronics
Gadgets & features
Integrated non-replaceable in car entertainment
Leather/Cloth door pads
Plastic parts inside engine bay with halflife of Covid19 virus in sunlight

Neutral
Fuel economy
Vehicle age
Monocoque or Body on frame
Old 25th April 2020, 22:29   #79
BHPian

Great thread!

Must have:

1. Good safety kit with atleast 6 Airbags
2. Good Aircon with Cooled front seats.
3. Rear seat comfort with good under thigh support, most of the cars doesn't provide it for the rear seat. (I don't want to hear any complaints from my friends are family members). Used both Ritz and Polo and I preferred Ritz over Polo for this reason.
4. Good ride quality over bad roads. I don't mind if it's a Sedan or SUV as long as it offers a good ride over broken Indian roads.
5. Reliable engine with adequate power for some spirited highway rides and overtakes; not asking for a super car like power.
6. Hazzlefree ownership with good network, both Suzuki and Hyundai offered me this in the past but not VW.
7. Good infotainment system with decent sounding speakers (Do not listen to loud music anyways).
8. Strictly a Value For Money car only. If I have to choose between a Superb, Passat and 3 Series I would anyday pick a Superb or Passat.
9. Last but not the least a Good Steering, I would stay away from the light Hyundai steering. Would prefer Fiat, VW or even Suzuki. Need to feel the connection and the confidence to take it for the Highways rides.

I do not mind if I don't get these:

1. Gearbox - I don't mind using manual gearboxes. Ok with even DCT, CVT or AT (Except AMT). I would never reject a car for this reason.
2. Fuel type - Not against any fuel type as long as I get all the other things I need.
3. Mileage - Honestly I never checked mileages on any of the cars I owned or own at present.
4. Popular choice - My selection need not be a popular choice in the market as long as I get what I want. When I bought my first car in 2010, whole world pointed towards Swift for my budget, but I chose Ritz (Considered as an ugly looking car amongst many of my friends) as it fulfilled all my needs. Trust me, I never did regret once for this decision. It's a gem of a car.
5. Connected car features - It's ok I am satisfied with the features I get in Apple Car Play. Not looking for ant fancy Connected feature.
Old 25th April 2020, 23:16   #80
BHPian

MUST HAVES :

A good ride quality. Multilink suspensions have become extinct these days, so atleast a fine tuning of whatever they are providing with. I really do not like cars that tend to bounce when you touch 60 kmph.

A direct steering. Again farewell to the generation of hydraulic steering systems, I’d want a Ford or a Honda like EPS.

A good air conditioner. Needs no explanation. Haha.

A good insulated cabin like the Hyundai’s or VW.

Horses. Yes! And a decent mid range punch. I love Honda VTEC’s but for an average office going person, Toyota Etios petrol or Honda i-DSI make more sense as they have their max torque in the mid range.

Reliability especially while buying a diesel or an automatic. Again our beloved Dual Clutches don’t fare well here. Also, not so expensive on service or part costs.

Good safety. A well built quality to begin with. Modern cars have impact absorbing front end and thanks to the standard front airbags these days, cars have become safer.

Comfortable seats. One thing i really dislike about cars like Hyundai i10, Honda Amaze 1st generation are those skinny seats. They are prone to giving you back ache!

I like all gadgets but upto a certain limit. I’m not a fan of MG Hector which has everything controlled by the big tablet it comes with.

Connected cars? Well what if they get hacked!? Little apprehensive about a car that can be controlled using a phone application.

Machine finished alloys, sunroof are not an absolute desire!
Old 26th April 2020, 07:22   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Wonderful Topic for discussion!
Here are few pointers from a budget car buyer like me.

Awesome and almost meet all my criteria as well, except for AT SUV.
I would be interested to know which cars have met your criteria so far.
Old 26th April 2020, 11:52   #82
BHPian

My exhaustive list of must haves:

1. At least 2 airbags, the more the merrier. Add ESP and make me happier!
2. A strong body shell to support the protection offered by airbags, without which there is no use of 1. (Datsun! Take note)
3. Sunroof, panoramic preferred
4. Power windows everywhere. Hated last gen Figo although I admired evrything else about it. Ford sure knew how to break deals. (Some manufactures literally tear away the cheques which customer is otherwise willing to hand over to them. Not my loss)
5. Audio controls on steering
6. Android auto, wireless version would be a wishlist
7. Good supportive seats.
8. Decent ground clearance , if less then suspension should be stiffer to compensate for it.
9. Good headlamps.
10. A chatty steering wheel.
11. Reverse cam/sensor/both
12. Spare wheel. I would love to give a standing ovation to the guy who in his infinite wisdom decided that spare wheel is dispensable in India .
13. Must run on regular fuel.

Must not:

1. Bad handler
2. Bad braking
3. Jam packed with electronics. I prefer my car to be simple and would prefer none of auto dimming-rain sensing-tmeperature measuring-cendecense noting-radioactivity neutralizing-WMD producing nannies. Of all the things, who thought its OK to have a electronic parking brake. I prefer such things mechanical. I dont require start stop button either unless the whole process upto driving away is keyless.
3. Over designed. I cant see beauty in overcomplicated things especially if they are that way without any reason. Clean simple lines and functional looks ( 1 gen Innova, 1st Fortuner, Pajero SFX, Bolero appeal more to me than Fluidic Hyundais, fluidic hondas, fluidic toyotas, fluidic others etc etc)

Does not matter:
1. Leather/Fabric seating
2. 3rd row seats
3. XL size boot
4. Kitna deti hai
5. DRLs
6. Type of headlamps and thier colour as long as they do the job they are meant to
7. Fuel tank capacity
Old 26th April 2020, 12:36   #83
BHPian

For me; the list of must have features in my next new car:
1. Frugal Diesel engine with atleast 150bhp / 400Nm and 2 driving modes (city & highway)
2. Six speed automatic torque converter (preferably with paddle shifters)
3. Really good balance of ride & handling (again, my ecosport is the minimum benchmark for this)
4. SUV with atleast 180mm laden ground clearance (equivalent of my current ecosport)
5. Solid build quality with top notch NCAP rating (ready to trade FE for crash safety) with 6 airbags or more.
6. 60 litres minimum fuel tank capacity (for the bigger & powerful engine) to match the 700+ kms range of my ecosport
7. Cruise control + 4 wheel disc brakes
8. Comfortable seating for 5 with adjustable / extendable lumbar support and extendable seatbase for lower thigh support (i'm 6'2" and miss this in my ecosport).
9. Atleast equivalent boot space of current Ecosport (deep & wide) with no protusions of suspension mounts into boot space.
10. Spare wheel mounted outside (for bigger boot space, easy access during tire swap & larger fuel tank space)
11. Fantastic OE lighting setup with 3" round fog lamp (for easy bixenon hid retrofit) - i'm surviving with my pre-facelift ecosport only because of this life saving modification
12. Android auto / apple car play setup with reverse camera
13. Automatic climate control (willing to pay extra for front ventilated seats)
14. Decent OE audio system
15. Longest extended warranty (something even like BMW' BSI stuff)

Features which I will not pay a penny for:
1. Sunroof
2. Shoddy / Flimsy build quality
3. Excessive electronics (no powered stuff please - I prefer keeping my cars for atleast a decade without major expenses)
4. Next gen sensor stuff (lidar / adas / ldw etc..)
5. Beige interiors (I prefer black or dark tan combo)

Last edited by Surya-TJet : 26th April 2020 at 12:39.
Old 26th April 2020, 14:43   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
For me; the list of must have features in my next new car:

Features which I will not pay a penny for:
Hexa can tick most of your must haves with very few misses which may come with the upcoming BS6 update:

1. 154bhp of power, 400 Nm of torque, it's frugal too.
2. Brilliantly tuned and mated engine torque convertor AT box( no paddle shifters though)
3. Segment outclassing ride quality, satisfactory handling given its size and weight, overall a well balanced ride & handling.
4. 200mm ground clearance.
5. Solidly built, 6 airbags, no safety rating yet. A solidly built car doesn't always mean good NCAP ratings, as NCAP rating is not just about build quality but is about few other design and various other parameters too.
6. Comes with 60 liter fuel tank. Range can be anywhere between 540 km to 900+ km according to the mileage figures(9to10 in city, 15to17 on highways) reported by various owners on the forum.
7. Gets cruise control and disc brakes on 4 wheels.
8. Gets comfortable seats with adjustable lumbar support. Captain seats variant is the one to go if 5 seats are not absolutely needed. Doesn't get extendable seat-base or thigh-support, but one cannot get this feature in sub 20-25 lakh rupee cars.
9. Boot space is usable without any protrusions but it is just 128 liters compared to Ecosports ~350 liter boot space, but with half or full third row folded there is enough room to accommodate more luggage than Ecosport.
10. Spare wheel is mounted outside but not in the Ecosport way.
11. Not sure about OE lighting.
12. Gets android-auto and reverse camera. No carplay yet.
13. Gets automatic climate control but no ventilated seats.
14. Segment outclassing audio system.
15. Tata is giving decent extended warranty and amc options/packages.

Also Hexa matches perfectly with your must-not list:

1. Doesn't get sunroof.
2. Build quality is good, it is not flimsy at all.
3. No fancy electronic stuff.
4. No lidars and such stuff.
5. Gets all-black interiors.
Old 26th April 2020, 18:33   #85
BHPian

Must-have:
- Adequate power (150+ bhp and 300+ Nm torque, preferably at low RPMs)
- ACC (Automatic Climate Control)
- CC (Cruise Control; I find it very useful on highways)
- Native GPS nav with a large built-in screen (not just Android Auto/Apple CarPlay kinds; I want the car's built-in GPS to be usable without connecting to a mobile phone)
- Reversing camera
- Steering mounted controls like bluetooth, etc
- Good sound system
- Minimum 2 airbags
- Adequate ground clearance
- Comfortable and usable arm rest for driver and passenger
- Good visibility for driver and passengers, with minimal blind spot
- Good build quality; with a heavy door, must close with a good thud
- Good ride and handling
- Alloy wheels
- Intermittent wiper
- Rest of the minor things which are quite std nowadays, like tilt steering, central locking, dead pedal, etc.

Good-to-have:
- Automatic transmission, either TC or CVT; preferably TC.
- More than 2 airbags

Do NOT want:
- Sun roof (don't want shit falling in from railway underpasses, or gunk from elsewhere falling in; besides, its plain dangerous at highway speeds)

Last edited by vharihar : 26th April 2020 at 18:46.
Old 26th April 2020, 19:41   #86
BHPian

My "must have" list is as follows -

1. Comfortable seating position.

I'm six foot plus with really long legs. For odd body structures like mine, getting a comfortable driving position is key.

It's surprising how few cars actually have tall drivers in mind. I have struck off a number of cars purely because of poor driving ergonomics. I currently drive an EcoSport - the main reason for picking it up was the ergonomics!

2. Must be an AT.

I drive in Bangalore and on the super congested Bangalore Mysore Highway. A smooth AT is a must. I don't mind CVTs or even AMTs so long as it's reasonably smooth.

3. Must have a great safety rating - NCAP 4+.

4. Should have good low-mid range torque and power. With my driving style, engines like the Honda 1.5 IVTEC are no go - I'll never rev enough for the VTEC to kick in! Would definitely prefer big NA engines or mild turbos.

On this note, I really really like electric cars. Their low end power delivery is just addictive. Electric powertrains are a very good to have in my list.

5. Other requirements

a. Must have a keyless entry and start / stop function.

b. Android auto and carplay enabled system. Can't imagine having to use a phone holder in a new car in this day and age.

c. A great Aircon! Even if there are no rear
blowers, or in seat ventilation I'm fine so long as they plonk a good powerful AC system in there.

d. Would love an electric parking brake. When most of your driving is in B2B traffic, the utility of one becomes obvious!

Last edited by qaqa : 26th April 2020 at 19:42. Reason: Typo
Old 26th April 2020, 20:11   #87
BHPian

The must have features for me while considering a new car is as follows:

•A good engine with a strong mid range punch

•Double digit fuel economy

•Decent ground clearance on offer so that there would be no second thoughts to take the car on a long trip.

•Memory seats. But sadly this feature is not offered in any of the cars below 15lacs.

•Sunroof in a car always makes me feel special and would not mind spending some extra money to have this feature. Plus I've seen cars equipped with sunroof getting marginally high resale value and buyers especially in the mass market segment.

•6+airbags safety is the no.1 priority but sadly manufactures offer this feature only in their top variants.

•Alloy wheels,DRL's, Center armrest,Automatic climate control.

Do not want:

•Cruise control

•Cooled glove box

•Connected car tech

•Air purifier at-least the city I live in has pure air and doesn't require one.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th April 2020 at 20:27. Reason: Formatted a bit for better readability.
Old 26th April 2020, 21:01   #88
BHPian

My "must have" list is as follows -

1. Comfortable seating position.

I'm six foot plus with really long legs. For odd body structures like mine, getting a comfortable driving position is key.

It's surprising how few cars actually have tall drivers in mind. I have struck off a number of cars purely because of poor driving ergonomics. I currently drive an EcoSport - the main reason for picking it up was the ergonomics!

2. Must be an AT.

I drive in Bangalore and on the super congested Bangalore Mysore Highway. A smooth AT is a must. I don't mind CVTs or even AMTs so long as it's reasonably smooth.

3. Must have a great safety rating - NCAP 4+.

4. Should be have good low-mid range torque and power. With my driving style, engines like the Honda 1.5 IVTEC are no go - I'll never rev enough for the VTEC to kick in! Would definitely prefer big NA engines or mild turbos.

On this note, I really really like electric cars. Their low end power delivery is just addictive. Electric powertrains are a very good to have in my list.

5. Other requirements

a. Must have a keyless entry and start / stop function.

b. Android auto and carplay enabled system. Can't imagine having to use a phone holder in a new car in this day and age.

c. A great Aircon! Even if there are no rear
blowers, or in seat ventilation I'm fine so long as they plonk a good powerful AC system in there.

d. Would love an electric parking brake. When most of your driving is in B2B traffic, the utility of one becomes obvious!
Old 27th April 2020, 00:17   #89
BHPian

I know why it can't be done for all the practical reasons, but would be nice if automobile manufacturers provided factory fitted standard optional packs which could be pre-ordered at the time of booking and applied to even base models.

Something like:

1. Style Pack
Bigger Alloys, Leather Seat covers, Leather steering wrap etc.

2. Safety Pack
Reverse Camera, all four disc brakes, 6 air-bags etc.

Old 27th April 2020, 06:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Must Have
- Leather seats. Till now no manufacturer in my segment has met this to my satisfaction. I have had to do this aftermarket always. And with seat air bags, I might not be able to do this anymore. Full, high quality leather in my colors has to be an option!
- Reliability (all my cars have turned out to be category sales leaders. I have mostly purchased them, not including the 800, within about a year of launch. I think car manufacturers should just look at the car I buy to look at what the average Joe wants!)
- Safety. For the latest 2 cars, Crysta & Jazz, I went with NCAP. Otherwise reputation of the brand. Maruti used to be good and has now swung to the other end - I mistrust them by default.
- Light clutch
- Thick steering wheels. Normally gets addressed when I do leather
- Good headlights
- Fog lamps
- Excellent sound system - aftermarket. But the HU has to be good.
- Comfortable seats
- Armrest, steering wheel, seat geometry- IMO, only Toyota in India and the American cars I rent in the US have cracked this.
- Intermittent wipers
- Easy ingress & egress for my mum
- These days, a good review on T-bhp! This becomes frustrating if you want a car but the review has not come out!.( Pull up your socks, folks!!)
- Nowadays, it is not a big deal but earlier, internally adjusting rear view mirrors. And on both sides! I paid 4k, when 800 was 100k, for these excellent aftermarket mirrors which would do that.

Must Not Have

- A lousy sales experience ( Rejected the polo AT for this and the unreliability of the DCG. Still have pangs of regret. That was a sweet car to drive!)
- A dishonest service experience. Forums like T-BHP are really useful for this. I form the opinion at a manufacturer & dealer level.
(So, basically, usage has to be non-intrusive)
- Should not scrape bottom, front or back when getting into & out if my basement garage under normal use
- Keyless entry, start & go: not a typo. I really don't want them but it is almost impossible to get one without this at the highest safety spec versions!

Lastly, I have a 'scientific ' method for narrowing down on the car I want - see the spreadsheet attached. It does work in ensuring that you know the compromises you are making.

The spreadsheet: [ATTACH=Hatchback Comparo - Final.xlsx]1999054[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Hatchback Comparo - Final.xlsx (79.6 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by sridhu : 27th April 2020 at 07:03.

Most Viewed