Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th March 2020, 07:28   #16
BANNED

Default re: The Toyota Innova Crysta "Leadership" edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am trying to wrap my head around why its called Leadership Edition?
Toyota is not alone who test the patience of the car community here.

Maruti has a Baleno 'RS' version, Spresso is an suv for them, and Estilo had a sports' version!
Hyundai calls the new Creta as 'ultimate SUV', and have 'Sports' versions for almost all of their hatch backs!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th March 2020 at 07:33.
Old 5th March 2020, 08:00   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Toyota Innova Crysta "Leadership" edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Well they tried that in one of their products and it bombed.
Bad example. The Yaris did NOT bomb because of the 7 airbags. It did due to overpricing, a smaller cabin, boring engine, weird styling and no diesel option. The 7 airbags were one of the strengths of the car.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 08:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do realise that every single wannabe and arrived politician goes around in an Innova, yes? Hence the "leadership" special edition. Pure unadulterated ego massage for the Innova's customer base.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 10:56   #19
BHPian

They could have at least thrown in the 6MT gearbox in place of the current 5MT. I miss the 6th cog in my Crysta VX very much.
Cheers,
AB
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:22   #20
BHPian

There was a Touring Sport version as well right? Is it still there or does this Leadership edition replaces that?
Old 5th March 2020, 11:58   #21
BHPian

Wow, this is one Innova that is IIM-B return.
Now i know the secret of leadership, why pay lakhs to B-schools and other institute when one can be a leader with simple make up job. The lessons husbands know from there wife's makeup. :-P
groom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

I thought Leadership here refers to Innova's continued Market leadership in MPV segment and nothing to do with buyers. Does sound crap just like any other limited edition(Windsong, Monte Carlo,World cup etc.). That said the model is absolute value unlike some sticker/seat cover edition.

VX from what I hear is slow mover, people prefer GX or the ZX. Lack of AT in VX is other problem. Only folks who buy VX are those who need 8 str and some additional creature comforts compared to GX.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many leaders of the bullbar and party flag variety often buy an Innova when they don't buy Endeavour / Fortuner / Scorpio.

I guess this variant is for them.
Old 5th March 2020, 15:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
To celebrate its continued dominance in MPV segment, Toyota Innova Crysta will be getting a Leadership Edition this month in India.
Looks like a rub off effect from Maruti.

Source
What dominance! IIRC the Jan figure was about 2500+ vehicles and it has been on a steady decline in the last few months. We will have to wait and see for feb as the Kia Carnival is present now.

IMO this trend will continue now with the introduction of the Kia Carnival and later on the MG MPV which is to release later on.

I think they are trying to infuse sales as they know they cant hold onto that position for long.

Frankly if I am looking to buy an MPV for my family in the next year I will definitely go for the Carnival. I have used it in the middle east and its a wonderful vehicle compared to the Innova. Also we got to see what MG has to offer as well.
Old 5th March 2020, 18:12   #25
BHPian

I sincerely want this model to fail but our junta don't let it.

yes it is a Toyota, it is reliable, but it is also horribly overpriced. A friend just picked up (like we went for the delivery yesterday) mid variant Innova for his parents and it even lacked a touchscreen and he paid some 22-23L! And not just the gee whizz bells and gizmos but the car itself is so barebones.

I want some new challenger to drop the dominance of Innova, just so Toyota will go back to the drawing board and actually launch a better ver of the Innova.
Stribog is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 19:35   #26
BHPian

Totally agree with the name. An absolute reflection of the leadership team at Toyota. Kudos for such a brilliant, innovate move to take on the rivals and maintain leadership.
Old 5th March 2020, 23:26   #27
BHPian

When Hyundai launched Accent Executive, no one had anything to say.
Old 6th March 2020, 06:34   #28
BHPian

Leadership is such an abused and misused word .

When ever I hear this, I immediately try to see if some thing / some one is a leader for being a leaders sake or is there some credible accomplishment to back it up. In this case the achievements of the ‘leadership edition’ don’t show any leadership
Old 6th March 2020, 09:18   #29
BHPian

These facelifts/special editions are the lame responses to Kia Carnival. No one who is deciding on Carnival will change his/her mind for a Crysta "Leadership" edition. Carnival is a big step up from Innova at almost the same price.

Looks like Toyota and all other Japanese manufacturers have decided to not launch any new vehicle in India till they study the EV's and Diesel's future. Till such a time, they will launch new versions of their old vehicles by painting something black/silver, adding body kits, changing the color of alloys/roof/seats, etc. All this without making any costly changes to the metal parts/the platform. Only remolding plastic parts.

Only Honda might be an exception, they might launch the new City. But not sure.

The idea is, let all other manufacturers risk their capital to develop the EV market. Then whatever is the resulting market trend, they will adopt that in the end and try to rule the market. They are convinced that being risk aversive is a smart strategy. Only time will tell whether it is a smart or stupid strategy.

It is hard to believe Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai have launched/launching their EVs already and are ready to risk everything to be the market leaders. They have even brought exciting new mini SUVs/crossovers with benchmark safety ratings. Japanese - (who have always given cutting edge tech in the past) is trying its best to be the last entrant, after they have learnt from the mistakes of other manufacturers. They are not even launching existing cars from other markets - Toyota hiding its Rav4, Honda hiding its HR-V, Maruti hiding its Vitara. Truly times have changed.

I will credit Nissan for Kicks, but by the time they launched Kicks, their brand had absolutely no reputation left in India.

Speaking on Innova alone - Innova is the only Toyota that is selling in respectable numbers. Toyota instead of securing that position, it is lethargically trying to squander away the dominance of Innova by not updating it meaningfully, and relying only on badge value.

Overall, the Japanese are on backfoot on the miniSUV/crossover market already. This is the fastest-growing segment of 4-wheelers. (Kia that launched less than a year ago is clocking ~15000 units per month.) Japanese are nowhere in the scene when it comes to EVs. They might have taken the biggest risk by deciding to not take any risk.
manjunathkl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:41   #30

This could qualify a true “leadership edition” had they made an effort to provide all disc brakes. Sub Rs.1 million vehicles like Yaris, SCross, XUV300 offer this. Makes me wonder why is TKM cutting corners with this aspect.

Most Viewed